Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

A number of years ago I had a bankruptcy discharged. After that I got a bad credit score card from Capitol One that has a yearly fee just so I have a card for emergencies. Since then I've never really carried a balance but USAA refuses to give me a normal credit card. I apply about once a year and am always denied. I haven't really applied at multiple places since I figure they'll likely end up the same? I would like to get a card where i don't pay a fee for it especially since I never really use the card but it seems like I'm kind of screwed right now. Anyone have any experience getting back onto the wagon of normal cards? Am I going to have to wait until it falls off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

ETB posted:

The fact that you weren't carrying a balance at all meant you weren't really building your score. Have you been paying off any other debts, like loans?

I have no debt. My credit score is 672 which isn't great but I don't think is awful. I've had a balance a few times but for the most part I haven't really used it. It could very well be that my bank is just being super conservative with handing out cards and if I were to try elsewhere I would have some luck.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

ETB posted:

That's a fairly decent score, so I'm unsure why USAA is rejecting you. Have you considered another card with a different bank (maybe a credit union), or is there something special about this one?

No reason other than I like them. I had sort of used it as a litmus test to see if I would qualify for anything else but it sounds like I should maybe check elsewhere and see if I have any luck.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

asur posted:

Either walk into a USAA branch or call up their customer service line and ask why you've been denied or if there's anything you can do. If that doesn't work you can try either converting your Capital One card to a normal credit card or I think Discover has a no fee secured card.

I don't think USAA has any branches other than a couple maybe in Texas. I was going to call them up though since I didn't realize you could ask for a reconsideration. I called Capitol One earlier this year asking if I could convert it and was told I could not.