Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CubicalSucrose posted:

I think the Amazon card gives 5% back on Amazon with no fee (think there are at least two variations not sure the difference).

It's whether you have Prime or not. If you have Prime, you get 5% (and sometimes more on various promos) which makes it a no-brainer. If you don't it's 1% and you can do way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you pushing the payment from your bank, or pulling it from Citi? I do the latter and it shows as credited on the day it actually processes - though I admit I'm never anywhere remotely near my credit limit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That just means you have a limited time to use PYB on a given transaction.

I have PYB on one of my cards but it's only ever available for certain transactions / merchants. It's basically the reverse version of the various discounts you can add before you go buy something with a credit card - you get a discount on redemption of points in exchange for only being able to do so for certain merchants.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The card system absolutely cares too. Visa / MC / Amex all get a chunk of that revenue.

This might not be as much at stake as when Costco changed from Amex to Visa, since Amazon will still accept other cards, but even the transaction volume alone of just Amazon card purchases at Amazon has to be something the other networks would love to add.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

This sounds great, but US Bank has the WORST app, website, and points accrual/redemption tracking features, and it’s not even close.

Quoting for truth. I used one of their cards for a 0% APR offer. Their website is so loving awful that I won't use them for anything again, not even scumming bank account bonuses.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

To use this optimally, what you should actually do is pay the minimum, except in the two months before your promotional balance is up, where you should pay the entire thing at once. This is a huge pain in the rear end and not how normal people finance things, though.

TL;DR: Equal payments options exist to gently caress you over and you shouldn't do them. You especially shouldn't combine them with more traditional deferred-interest financing.

This is exactly why these things exist, and exactly why I will never, ever mix any such charges on a card. If I'm using a card for any promotional financing of any kind (aka the only reason I'll ever carry a balance at all), I won't put a single transaction on it that's outside of the one promotion I'm using it for.

And then, yes, I do exactly what you mention - I pay the minimum every month until the month before the deferred interest ends, and then I pay it off in full, and then I stash that card away for the next time I need to buy tires.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's an argument that with the 1% that Target offers on Circle (and doesn't stack on the Red Card) that the Red Card is now effectively a 4% card compared to this at 6%.

Personally, I'll stick with the Red Card because that 5% comes off the front of the transaction, no redemption or anything required. Also, I loving hate US Bank's website.

6% at Ace (and 6% at Amazon if I ever ditch Prime) is almost tempting, but I'm using the Citi Custom Cash for hardware stores in general to keep that as my 5% category.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Depends on the card. Citi and Chase seem to, the Target Redcard doesn't that I've seen (but the Redcard's web interface is... minimal to put it kindly)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My wife got an Apple card as soon as they started offering 3% at Ace, since we shop there regularly.

They never once got it right as a 3% transaction, and it'd be an hour worth of phone calls every month to try and get it resolved. Usually involving having to send the support reps the loving frontpage of apple.com/card where even now it still highlights Ace as a 3% merchant. Most of the time the reps would lie and claim it's a time-limited promotion.

Ditched it, now using a Custom Cash to get 5%.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Super-NintendoUser posted:

You talking about Plaid?

I'm assuming so, but there's a giant "Verify Manually" at the bottom of the popup that tries to take you to Plaid for "Instant Account Verification".

Saw that, debating whether dealing with US Bank's awful website is worth 1%.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

astral posted:

This turned out to have a $95 annual fee, waived the first year, and a signup bonus of $250 back on $2k spend in 4 months.

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/shopper-cash-rewards-visa-signature-credit-card.html

Yeah, the fee kills it for me. If you've already got a Citi Custom Cash tied up giving you 5% on other purchases and you have exactly $1500/quarter in spending on one of the retailers that this card offers, then this is a ~4.4% card after fees.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not only is the system itself dumb, this is also why you shouldn't hyperfocus on your score. 50 points one direction or the other won't matter unless it's pushing you on the wrong side of a number like 740, and even then only when you're specifically about to go get a loan.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My Custom Cash seemed to take approximately forever to get here, so it seems to be par for Citi.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've always taken the "promotional rate ends on X" as "this balance must be paid in full by X or we start assessing interest immediately without any grace period".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

Yeah generally the fine print in any 0% APR promotion is that you have to have it fully paid off by the time of the promo ending or you're charged all of the interest you would have acquired from all purchases during that period. I worked at Best Buy for a long time and it was a huge gotcha that led to a ton of pissed off people.

This is not always the case and I would expect it not to be the case with an actual 0% interest offer from a BofA/Chase type bank. But the minute that 0% ends, the interest starts billing, even if that's in the middle of your billing cycle.

The deals you're thinking of will have "deferred interest" somewhere in too-small print and in my experience I've only seen them from store-associated cards like the Synchrony one that Discount Tire uses. On those, yes, the interest starts adding up at the moment you make the purchase, but doesn't actually get billed to you unless you still have any portion of the balance outstanding after the promo period ends.

Either way, the safe move is to pay the promo balance in full before the promo period ends. My own paranoia makes me do it at least one billing cycle in advance so I've got at least one bill generated by their system that shows no more charges subject to interest.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pay attention to who you send money to, don't click malicious links, don't leave your phone sitting around with no lock screen and automatically logged into your banking app?

This feels way less like some fundamental flaw in Zelle and more a flaw of how people treat security on a device that has more of their information than anything else.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Considering that most Zelle fraud relies on phishing the user into willingly sending money to someone, I don't see how adding more steps changes that.

We're at a point in time where loving pharmacy and gas station staff have to yell at boomers that no, that isn't really the IRS that's asking you to buy thousands of dollars in gift cards to pay taxes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If the goal is simply build credit usage history and you aren't getting any rewards or anything else, I'd pick a bill, set it to autopay on the CC, and then set the CC to autopay itself from a checking or savings account. Stick the card in the back of a drawer where you'll never use it again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep. The difference is that a cash bonus for opening a checking account is just straight up "do X tasks, get paid, pay taxes on it". CC rewards, even if you're dealing with a purely cash-back card and not any form of intermediary points, are considered rebates on money spent - they're not income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Credit cards are issued by banks who have no problem issuing 1099s for anything that might possibly be counted as income; I've never had a 1099 for credit card rewards in the past 20+ years of using them. There's even been years where I've had both credit card and checking bonuses from the same bank but the 1099 only covers the checking bonus.