Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I have a Visa Signature with Regions bank (where I also have my checking and savings accounts). I opened the account about 2 years ago in a credit rebuilding phase, and I don't really use the card. I'm not quite ready yet to close it as I'm still enjoying the lower overall util. ratio I get by having it open. Does anyone know if they are likely to close the card for lack of use, or if my existing banking relationship would be enough to leave it open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

Chase has never given me a CLI on my CSP, but I have opened several new Chase cards only to wait a month and close them, adding the limits to my CSP. I've done it enough times that my CSP is now at $32k, and they have no problem with it. The only reason I stopped is my number of inquiries and AAoA were taking a hit.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Is BoA usually fine with merging credit lines between two card and only keeping one open?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Thanks, I was able to switch $13,500 of credit over to my lower interest BoA card for a combined total CL of $20,500 and close the other higher interest card. So now I'm down to 3 cards: BankAmericard, CSP, and my Amex Gold.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Virtue posted:

The CSP is really sexy.

I don't want it to matter to me that it's made of metal and doesn't have the number on the front, but dammit, it does matter.

gregday
May 23, 2003

There are rumors that next month Chase is launching some sort of "Chase Sapphire Elite" (or possibly Sapphire Reserve) card with a $300-400 AF and benefits to compete with the Amex Platinum and it's ilk.

gregday
May 23, 2003

overdesigned posted:

I don't have a card made of metal yet so obviously I need to branch out more.

It's not a credit card, but you could get this if you want the ultimate sucker's card https://founderscard.com/

gregday
May 23, 2003

Word is the CSR is a heavier, more clangy metal like the Ritz Carlton card and not like the CSP, for people who care about such things.

oh god it's me, i care about this stupid detail

gregday
May 23, 2003

ilkhan posted:

How do you actually claim it, though?

You get an automatic statement credit for anything in their travel category.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Has anyone with a CSR been charged the AF yet? I've had mine since launch week and the only AF activity I've had is a partial refund of the previous CSP AF of $95. I expected the fee to be on the first statement, but so far nothing.

gregday
May 23, 2003

My CSR took a few days, but I did a PC from a CSP instead of a new application.

Maybe that has something to do with why I haven't been charged an AF yet.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Example, I have a $3000 balance with a payment due on Feb 1. I put $2000 more on the card after the statement generates, but then pay off the first $3000 before Feb 1. Does that mean that the newer $2000 won't accrue interest after Feb 1 and will continue not to accrue interest until the next month's due date?

This seems like a pretty basic "how do I credit card?" question but it's never been totally clear to me if it works like this.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Edit wrong thread!

gregday
May 23, 2003

Is a single 30-day late payment from 6 years ago negligible as far as affecting FICO score? It's the only negative mark on any of my credit history, and I know it'll fall off soon, but it really bugs me that it's there at all. I still have an account with the bank (BoA card) but my attempts to request its removal just confused them.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Xenoborg posted:

Are fast food places considered restaurants per whatever reporting codes credit cards use?

Yes

gregday
May 23, 2003

Word is that BoA is only using soft pulls now for CLIs.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Is there any reason to have both the CSR and the Amex Platinum?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Anyone know if the annual fee on the CSR counts for my $4k minimum spend for the signup bonus.

It does not

gregday
May 23, 2003

howdoesishotweb posted:

I took the plunge and finally got a Chase Sapphire Reserve. Still waiting for the card. I’m booking a 2 person flight to Bermuda for June as the first travel purchase. Would be nice to pay for it with the 50k bonus, but I’d have to wait a month and don’t want to wait to book the flight.

Besides getting global entry, what else should I set up for this card? My only other card is a boring Citi DoubleCash.

You can enroll in Priority Pass if airport lounges are your thing.

gregday
May 23, 2003

So I was holding off on applying for the Amex Platinum for awhile because I’ve been trying to pump up my credit score and I didn’t want a hard inquiry or a new account to lower my average age.

It’s been about a month now since I’ve had the card, and it looks like they did not do a hard pull. Maybe that’s because I already have an Amex credit card and a good relationship with them?

But the big surprise is there does not appear to be a new account on my reports either. I’ve checked all 3 bureaus, both through CreditKarma and MyFICO and it doesn’t show up. However, a soft pull CLI to my BoA card a couple weeks ago (after getting the Plat) is there.

So is it possible I got this card for “free” (credit report wise)? I don’t see how it doesn’t show up at all. Maybe since it’s a charge card there has to be a statement generated with a balance on it first?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Apple announced their new credit card and it's kinda trash.

2% back when you use Apple Pay.
3% back from Apple / Apple services.
1% back when using the physical card.
No points or signup bonus.
No AF or late fees and a low APR

But I guess it looks cool and it's titanium. Likely aimed at people who want to finance their Apple products.

“Low APR” is marketing bullshit. The footnote on the site says 13-24% range which is absolutely standard across the credit card industry.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Experian lets you add utility and phone accounts to be tracked for credit history.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Weird, BoA did something similar to me in the past month. I have a reversed interest charge of around $6 and a reversed ATM fee of around $21. I have never accumulated or been charged interest on this card, and the last time I used it at an ATM was over 2.5 years ago.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Plus if you have an existing relationship with a lender, you can leave it frozen and they still get access. So you can still apply for regular credit line increases, new cards from that lender, and get those “free FICO score” updates that many credit cards and banks are now offering.

There is almost no good reason to not freeze your credit, especially after that Equifax clusterfuck.

gregday
May 23, 2003

A nice thing is that the Apple Card application process is only a soft inquiry until you accept. You get to see your limit and interest rate before you accept, and only after accepting is there a hard pull. I hope more banks follow suit.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Chase is weird. I have a CSR and an 835 score, good income, and can’t get approved for even a $1,000 CLI. However, I can get approved for a new Chase Sapphire, Freedom, or Ink with an $8k+ limit with no problem. Then call them up a week later and merge that credit limit into my CSR, and close the new card. I did this about 8 times over the past couple of years, continually opening->merging->closing and juicing up my CSR limit until I realized this was absolutely killing my AAoC.

But actually just get a slight increase on the CSR? Not possible.

gregday
May 23, 2003

CSR is lowering the annual fee from $550 to $450 for this cycle (in the form of a $100 credit once the AF posts).

gregday
May 23, 2003

Maybe it’s just because my AF comes up in June.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Platinum is a charge card and doesn’t have limits… ?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Mike Danger posted:

This is what credit karma reported and what equifax showed when I logged in to unfreeze my report, not sure what FICO means in this context. Going to call them tomorrow on my lunch break.

Credit Karma uses VantageScore, which is typically higher than your “real” (FICO) score. Lenders always use some version of a FICO score. VantageScore is really more of a novelty and only good for you to track trends over time.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Apple Card now reports to Equifax. It raised my FICO score with them about 20 points.

gregday
May 23, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is it worth it to ask my other CC for a raised credit limit because the other CC did, or is it not worth asking and will somehow hurt me?

It depends. If they do a hard inquiry, it could temporarily drop your score a little bit. But many banks are doing limit increases without credit pulls. If they don’t pull, then it won’t hurt your credit at all.

gregday
May 23, 2003

im on the net me boys posted:

It looks like the Amex Platinum fee is going up to $695 tomorrow so if anyone was on the fence it’s a good time to pull the trigger

Christ. I hope there’s something new to make that worth it.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

My partner needs a first-timer credit card that will start off with a limit of at least a few thousand (big TV purchase coming up). She has a credit score of 735ish (mortgage, great payment history on past auto loans, etc) but no credit cards, so it's just the lack of existing history that's holding her back from getting the big ones. My only awareness of a guaranteed reasonable credit limit is the Visa Signature cards that start at $5k, but most of those are military- or state-affiliated credit unions that she's not too keen on.

I thought the Discover It would be a good place for her to start and still get something with long-term usefulness, but I don't have Discover so I don't know what their credit limits are like. Does anyone know what they're likely to start her at?

Also, are there any other classic starter cards or things that have a better-than-usual offer going right now that I'm missing?

I like the Apple Card (Goldman Sachs). They seem to approve just about anyone and offer pretty decent limits. And you can see the offer terms before they do a hard pull in case you choose not to accept.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Holy poo poo, when did Chase add a Request Increase button to their site? I just hit it and got an increase on my card that hasn’t had a change in limit in 10 years. I had tried asking customer service for an increase before without it triggering a hard pull but was always told they couldn’t do so.

gregday
May 23, 2003

astral posted:

Did it trigger a hard pull?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

I would not want to carry around it around. Gold is a very soft and malleable metal.