Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My wife has had an Amex plat as her primary card for a few years. We actually have two now since I signed up for a 150k bonus offer.

We live in locations with lounges but try not to spend too much time waiting there. The denver lounge is probably the best/largest one I’ve been to. The one at SFO is pretty cramped. I probably won’t pay to renew my card if my wife is already paying for it each year. Getting $700 worth of lounges each year is probably not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Upgrade posted:

are there that many airports with centurion lounges but no other priority pass lounges?

I have yet to use a priority pass lounge successfully in the US.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

saintonan posted:

For just a glimpse, this is a flowchart designed to answer what travel rewards card(s) an efficient person should get, and in what order. That rabbit hole goes very deep.

Do not want to meet the guy responsible for that chart.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

asur posted:

If you don't want to churn sign up bonuses or have way more yearly spend than the average person (100k+) then none of the travel cards are worth bothering with. Just get a 2% cashback card and one or more cards with increased categories that spend in, groceries probably being the most obvious.

Out of curiosity why does average spend make a difference for the value of travel cards?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ranbo das posted:

It's a matter of practicality more than anything. For example a trip I'm going to take (if covid ever abates) the flights were 120,000 points round trip. If you're only spending enough to get 12,000 points a year, a lot of us would say one flight a decade isn't worth it and you maybe could use the cash more.

Ah gotcha I read his comment the wrong way then. It seems like if you’re spending more money in general, a greater proportion of that is likely to be on things like travel/eating out, where a travel card may go further than a 2% card.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Shroomie posted:

This usually only happens with multiple cards from the same bank (Chase is notorious for limiting you to 50% of your income), but they can usually adjust existing limits to make room for a new card if you call recon.

Does Chase have a hard limit of 50-60k or so?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FunOne posted:

BofA will do 2.62% everywhere on their top cards with relationship bonus from parking assets with BofA/ML.

When I was a dumb undergrad I got caught up in BofA’s strategy of staggering withdrawal/deposits to maximize penalty fees and haven’t used BofA since. :mad:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
CSR has always been effortless for me. We travel fairly often, and the points transfer to Hyatt, which has led to some pretty amazing free hotel stays in amazing places.

I signed up for the 150k Amex bonus last year and I’m at a loss on what I should do with the points. The hotel transfer partners seem terrible for value, and our schedules don’t allow us to pick a random Wednesday in two months and take off on some good business class redemption to Asia or whatever.

Am I missing some secret Amex redemption?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CubicalSucrose posted:

Schwab plat allows for 1.1 cpp redemptions in cash. Used to be 1.25.

Yeah I’ve considered just doing this.

Upgrade posted:

FWIW the best return on investment card IMO is still amex plat if you're using the return protection regularly

What’s that?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pseudanonymous posted:

Can you transfer points to this from other Amex cards?

Yeah it’s just MR points. If you pair it with a gold card you used to be able to get pretty decent redemptions when it was at 1.25.

I feel there has to be a good mr transfer partner though right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Space Fish posted:

Chase Ultimate Rewards points multipliers kind of suck across airlines. 1.1x, 1.2x... seems like UR points are most useful for their 2.8x value multiplier when transferred to Hyatt hotels. Everything else, you may as well redeem for cash and take the 1.25x from the Sapphire Preferred / 1.5x from the Reserve.

The Chase trifecta's value still exceeds a flat 2% card's value for my level of spend, but the popular pitch of "the points will transfer to partners for double value!" is really a Hyatt pitch. Valuable, but not quite the broad advantage I imagined.

What's this now? 2.8x multiplier for hyatt transfers? How does that work?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ham Equity posted:

I'm sitting on 190,000 Chase Sapphire rewards points. What's the best way to spend those?

Definitely looking to travel in the next couple of years.

This is just a thing we do, but Hyatt tends to have nice properties in nice places which can be pretty pricey. If you’re getting a $1k room for 30k points, you’re doing pretty well. Availability is also pretty good, which helps if you can’t wait for some random Tuesday frequent Flyer redemption.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Since this is the de facto reward thread, a question about whether I got a good “deal” or not with Hyatt points.

Standard Room: 21k points or $490/night
Grand suite: $1100/night or 6k points plus $490.

I don’t normally book suites but I did in this case since we’re traveling with our baby and I’ll be status post a 120 mile bike ride. Seems like a decent deal right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FunOne posted:

I've asked this before, but is there a good way to get value out of Amex points other than transferring them to travel partners and doing that whole song and dance?

I've got a bunch to burn but cash back seems like a rip. Do you get better values in their vacation portal or something?

Seconding this. I can't even figure out who the "good" travel partners are with Amex. I guess Marriott isn't bad if you do the stay 4/5th night free thing?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Baddog posted:

The loophole getting closed is prolly the biggest risk!

Being able to deposit an extra 5K or more in 3 years for doing a couple credit card signups would be very nice.

Are you limited to how many points can transfer over to the Roth?

Say, if you also had a gold card and got 4x points?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just switched to my final Amex Plat, the Chuck Schwab version. The sign up bonus was only 80k, but my renewal was coming up and it didn't feel like waiting an extra year for an extra 20k points was worth it, since you get a discount on the Schwab version AF if you have some assets with them.

I'll finally have a place to use all of my Amex points I can't figure out what to do with!

Am I the only one that has found it a PITA to actually use Amex points? I tend not to use them on flights since my wife and I aren't travel bloggers who fly on a random Tuesday at 2pm. We'd use them on hotels, but the Marriott options seem to offer terrible value.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Someone's gotta be playing the manufactured spending game and/or figured out a way to buy pudding to fund their Roth for millions.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Unsinkabear posted:

Whatever lender they tried to do that through would notice and shut them down long before they became even remotely worthy of the IRS's time. MS is more or less dead. Legitimate rewards are fine, though

I'm out of touch and had no idea MS was not longer a thing.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Just do it the Thiel way and stick a bunch of pre IPO equity in your Roth and pretend it's only worth par.

I've already funded my Roths for the year, but if someone wants to sell me pre-IPO shares for pennies, will take Amex, and then I can transfer them over to Schwab, I'm all in. :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Hey dumb question but uh does the metal Charles schwab Amex platinum with the wireless logo actually support wireless? I’m finding mixed things online.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CubicalSucrose posted:

If by "support wireless" you mean "you can hover the card over the little doo-dad without needing to swipe or insert/pin-thing," then yes it does (got my card like 2 years ago I think, unless I got a replacement at some point during that time).

I’m finding some references to a “full metal” and a plastic/metal card in old posts, with the full metal card maybe not having it? Strange since it has the logo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smackfu posted:

Is this just general worry that you will sign up for the card and then tap to pay won’t work? That seems like something you could just complain about if it happens to you.

No I have the card and it's not working. When I googled I found mixed information on whether it worked with the metal cards or not.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pseudanonymous posted:

It worked, proud owner of 2 custom cash cards.

In other news, Amex has changed their rules, and now instead of 1 signup bonus for the "vanilla" amex, 1 for Schwab and 1 for Morgan Stanley amex they are only allowing 1 SUB for 1 platinum card . Though it' really unclear and people are reporting still getting a vanilla sub and then say a schwab sub, and it is sort of looking like if you go from vanilla - branded card you can get 2.

Is there any way to figure out if you qualify? My wife's amex is coming up for renewal and I was going to switch her over to the Schwab version to get the bonus. If there's no bonus I'll just finally add her as an AU.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
MY WIFE’S Amex is coming up for renewal and I figured we’d switch her to the Schwab card to snag the bonus. Unfortunately looks like she’s in pop up hell because she has an Amex card already. I guess the benefit of having two full Amex cards is that we get two United credits, hotel credits, etc, while with an additional authorized user we’re limited to one set of benefits only, correct?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes, Amex recently 2weeks ago or so changed the lifetime sub rules, you used to be able to get vanilla + schwab + MS subs now just 1

If you keep 2 you get double credits, also the AU fee just got jacked up. You could ask for a retention offer.

captain chauncey posted:

Correct, unfortunately the changes to the Platinum last month now consider them all one product for the bonus language, so yeah the old slide over to Schwab in year 2 trick is dead.

Thanks guys. I guess that'll teach me for procrastinating for a few years.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there any reason to hold off on canceling my wife's regular Amex plat? Likely no chance that they'll change their policy on the sub thing right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cacafuego posted:

I’m just hoping the Delta changes result in less people in the centurion lounges.

Won't it result in more people in Centurion lounges, since the people traveling on Delta will now have fewer choices?

quote:

If Amex stopped giving active duty military annual fee waivers on the platinums you’d see a huge drop in centurion lounge visitors, but that’ll never happen, so we’ll see how the delta changes affect it.

Wouldn't that be something.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Also curious how this works with Amex's FHR. I know that Amex uses Expedia on the backend for hotel reservations. We've had decent enough luck using them for the Amex credit, but presumably you're at the back of the line since it's a 3rd party booker.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tortilla Maker posted:

Fully agree that the Chase UR to Hyatt transfer gives you the best value for everyday stays. Biggest downside to Hyatt is their limited portfolio. You'll find great properties in some major cities, almost nothing to others (e.g., Austin, Philadelphia, Mexico City, etc.). Marriott has been pretty great for those cities, particularly if you get in on their 5x 50k certificates through Chase. Off-season 50k easily gets you into the Ritz, St. Regis, and boutique hotels such as the Austin Proper.

I've been ignoring Marriott for redemptions since we do pretty well with Chase->Hyatt. What's the 5x 50k trick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gregday posted:

Holy poo poo, when did Chase add a Request Increase button to their site? I just hit it and got an increase on my card that hasn’t had a change in limit in 10 years. I had tried asking customer service for an increase before without it triggering a hard pull but was always told they couldn’t do so.

Did it come back? They used to have one then I think it went away for a while?

edit: Just logged in and it's back for me. "We'll mail or email our decision in 7 to 10 business days."

:negative:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 6, 2024