Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Well, without comparing it to any other card, I only need to spend about $2500 to get enough points to book a Hyatt room worth $150.

But then if you consider my freedom unlimited is 1.5 points per and $0 annual fee you could calculate additional you are technically spending or getting the full 5% on freedom categories.

But really discounting the bonus is silly, because it’s worth 5 or more annual fees depending on how you use it so you could consider it a 0 annual fee card for several years if you are then just considering the earn rate comparison.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

The responsible thing is to have your emergency fund filled out before spending money on luxuries. Ie: you should be confident that you can pay off both an emergency (within reason) and your trip without having to finance it.

And even in the case of some emergency, you still have a full month or more to pay off the charge before you accrue any interest at all, and even if it takes you a few months to pay it off (which I’m not advocating), it’s not like you’re paying the full interest (the APR is an annual rate), and even if you couldn’t you could still eat a small fee to do a zero apr balance transfer for a year. Needing a zero APR card as a preemptive emergency plan is pretty weird and probably means you shouldn’t be buying poo poo.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 5, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I have to pay a contractor $5500, and he says he'll take credit cards for a 1.5% fee. So that's $82.5. So if I use the Freedom Unlimited that's 8250 points, and then if I redeem using the reserve at 1.5 cents per point, that's $123.75, so it makes sense to put it on the card right?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I just got off an AA flight and they had a card on offer for 60k AA points with no spend and the first year fee waived. That’s a no brainer right?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Additionally, I have a big contractor bill coming due next month, so I was thinking about either going for a Companion Pass or just getting the Chase Ink Business for the 80k points. It seems Southwest is raising the CP threshold to 125k points, so I'm not sure what to think of that. Anyone have any difficulty getting business cards?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Current scenario: no credit card debt, I just use the 2% Citi double cash as a cash all for credit card benefit. I have 4 total credit cards, the other 3 are mostly unused and kept just for either A. Occasional extended warranty purchase or B. For the most part because it adds to longevity of credit.

Upcoming scenario: for better or worse, friend is getting married in Hawaii. So, while I sometimes fly, I’ll be spending way more in 2020 on plane tickets.

Any really good credit card recommendations to get cheap round trip plane tickets? I’m ok with credit card for a year and then cancelling.

You should be able to get any card with a big Bonus and use that for a free round trip ticket to Hawaii from pretty much anywhere. For example the Chase Sapphire Preferred or any of the Airline Specific Cards.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I applied for a Chase Ink Business and did not get instant approval (or denial). How long does it usually take to follow up? This was last Thursday.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
According to the automated line I did get approved for a Chase Ink Business, and it should be here in about a week or two. Took about 2 weeks to get approval.

I put down a sole proprietorship as an artist/designer (not entirely untrue...) with $0 income. They only extended me 5k credit, to go with my 30k on my Freedom/Unlimited/Reserve.

I was hoping to put a large contractor bill on it to make the spend which I have already paid, so it's gonna be tough but I'm sure I'll be fine hitting it with Christmas and all.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I have my Chase account with my Freedom, Unlimited, and Reserve on it.

I had to open a new account for my Ink.

I plan to just transfer the Ink points to my Reserve and then cancel the Ink at the end of the year.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I got a Reserve on Dec 1 2016. I just paid my $450 fee last month. That's for the upcoming year right? So they'll want $550 on Dec 1 2020, but at that point I will have hit 4 years, so I can cancel it, not pay the $550, and sign up for a Preferred (which I cancelled to get the Reserve 4 years ago) to get that bonus again?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Just FIY even when you redeem points for travel and a hotel, you will likely still have to pay real
Money for the travel out to the Atoll which could be as much as $500 pp

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Well the rest of it seems pretty straightforward, except that it seems that now Marriott shifts point costs for High and Low seasons, so it may no longer be a flat rate. The good news is that likely increases availability since they will grant more award stays. They have a couple different properties from around 50-80,000 points a night. I'm not really sure what the quality of the cheapest one is but the expensive ones are super high class. The good news is you can probably use their 5th night free promotion, so that's a huge points savings. I believe these are costs for an on-land bungalow though, if you want an over-water one I expect that's a lot more.

So if you have 330k points between you, that's almost exactly enough for 80k per night for 4 nights, with the 5th night free. Plus $1000 for the transfer, plus actual airfare...

Randomly picked one and random dates:

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 10, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I'm not sure if you can transfer Amex points, but you can transfer up to 100k Marriott points. So if you exchange Amex -> Marriott, and your wife does the same, you should be able to send your 100k to her and end up with 330k in her Marriott account. It may also be possible to transfer from each Amex account into one Marriott account, but I can't confirm that.

I think the One Weird Trick for Marriott is the 5th free night. That's basically means each night is 15k points cheaper. If that applies to Hilton too then it's just a matter of seeing which ones cost less points overall, and checking Hilton points transfer rules.

Lol the (Hilton) Waldorf wanted minimum 750,000 points per night for the same random search I did above. Even though Hilton points are 2 for 1 with Amex, that seems a bit ridiculous. The Conrad wants 95k per night, which I guess is actually really good because that's 47.5 equivalent?

You can book your own Private Island at the Waldorf for 25,760,000 points per night though

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 10, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Just don't forget to factor in the transfer fees and the Food and Drink costs, which will be astronomical because they have you trapped on an Atoll in the middle of the ocean.

Can you get the 5th night free for the private island? That's 25 million points savings!

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 10, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Streaming Services is the dumbest category. Thanks for my 5% back on $14 a month, I guess.

I switched my BoA card to Home Improvement category and was annoyed because I went over the $2500 quarterly limit.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Inner Light posted:

I'm thinking there is zero reason mathematically not to use this rather than continue to save points for future travel -- since it gives a 50% point bonus for the Reserve, same as travel.

It depends on how you use your points, because certain transfers are worth a lot more then 1.5c. I’ve gotten as high as 3c for hotel redemption and 2.5c for flights. Given covid, it may not be worth it to hold points for travel you never go on.

Buying Groceries at 5x points and then redeeming points against your statement at 1.5c is pretty good though.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I just cancelled my Sapphire Reserve that I originally signed up for on 12/1/2016. Can I sign up for the Sapphire Preferred and get the bonus now, or do I have to wait until 4 years after the date I actually received the bonus for the Reserve?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I just cancelled the CSR and asked if they would waive the fee for a year and they said no. They did mention that the travel credit can be obtained by groceries now though.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I transferred 100,000 points into my Hyatt account in advance of my trip to Spain April 2020.

:suicide:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
As a relatively light traveler I only used my priority pass lounge access maybe half a dozen times, most of them were pretty lame.

One time i got to go to the Escape Lounge in Minneapolis, which was pretty sweet. They had a great hot buffet with tons of options, a nice bar, a cookie and snack bar, free ipads to use at the numerous seating options.

Then you have things like the “lounge” at Honolulu, which was, and I don’t think i can stress enough how accurate this description is, essentially a dentist office waiting room from the 80s, with a mini frige with diet coke in it and some stale bagels. You could literally step outside and be much better off because you were in a godamn Hawaiian palm tree courtyard.

Special note, the escape lounge soon after stoppef accepting priority pass.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that's a good one to bring up: more and more shared lounges are just putting up signs "no priority pass" when they start getting full.

That for sure does happen (as well as some only accepting PP during off hours), but I actually meant they stopped accepting PP at all. Amex Platinum only now.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
If anyone is wondering how much Chase Points can be worth, I’m looking at a Hyatt hotel reservation (1:1 transfer partner) that for some reason wants $800 a night cash, or 15,000 points…

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I got a Chase Preferred for the bonus, hoping it would arrive by today for a large purchase, but it hasn’t come. The card is in my online account with my other cards, can I add it to apple pay or something without having the physical card?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Elysium posted:

I got a Chase Preferred for the bonus, hoping it would arrive by today for a large purchase, but it hasn’t come. The card is in my online account with my other cards, can I add it to apple pay or something without having the physical card?

Update: you can in fact do this. Go into your chase app and click on the card and scroll down to Digital Cards or whatever it says and it lets you add it to Apple or Google pay even though you don’t have it. Luckily the retailer took Apple Pay.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

smackfu posted:

Where’s that 2.8x Hyatt number coming from? Super high end properties? High season?

I just was looking at Hyatts in NYC for March and I’d say the value ranged from 1.7x to 2.1x and the 2.1x was at the Park Hyatt for 80k points for a $1700 stay.

Edit: guess that is Nerdwallets estimate and others value them more like 1.7x.

Hyatt boosted the categories on most of its hotels not too long ago. That 80k point Park Hyatt stay was 60k points ~6 months ago.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

drk posted:

Anecdotal, but as a someone who does purchasing as part of my job, I would say at least in the B2B world credit card surcharges are becoming increasingly common. Pretty rare to see them as a consumer though.

In my area, a whole bunch of restaurants started offering cash discounts on paying your bill.