Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dengraz
Sep 8, 2003
[empty]

GreyPowerVan posted:

I have taken out 2 money loans in the last 6 months with Regions, which my rep told me would help build my credit, and paid them back on time. However, I still can't get any of the student cards, or cards for people with "little or no credit".

This is getting frustrating. I wish rent payments and utilities counted for credit, I've been paying that for 2 years.

Find a "secured" credit card to apply for and use that/pay it off for a few months. That is usually enough to qualify you for student cards, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dengraz
Sep 8, 2003
[empty]
Check with your bank or credit union first. Often you can "graduate" or convert your card from a secured to an unsecured version. Capital One does this, but has a small annual fee on the secured card. I'd suggest googling around for decent ones.

Dengraz
Sep 8, 2003
[empty]

morcant posted:

Has anyone had a good experience with the Amazon Rewards Visa? I looked at the Discover It card, but am not sure how often the categories would apply to me - I don't buy gas that often, and plan on regularly picking up housewares, books, etc. from Amazon. Unless we've got a vacation or something lined up, I rarely charge more than a couple hundred a month, and always pay off my balance. The only rewards card I have experience with is the PNC CashBuilder, which just gives a flat 1.25% back, and can only be redeemed at $50 or more. I'm thinking it's time to find something a little more useful.

I've been enjoying using my Sallie Mae Rewards card for Amazon (5% on gas/groceries/bookstores). It has relatively low monthly caps on the cashback per month ($250 for gas/groceries and $750 for bookstores). Also really easy to redeem rewards ($25 increments).

Dengraz
Sep 8, 2003
[empty]

lmao zebong posted:

This is what I'm thinking:
Groceries, Gas, Amazon: Sallie Mae Mastercard
Restaurants: US Bank Cash+ (picking the restaurant category every quarter)
Everything else: Citi Double Cash

I would say majority of my monthly purchases fall within groceries, gas, Amazon, Target (use my RedCard for this) or restaurants. Is using three different cards too much and I'm spreading my rewards across too many banks? Credit Karma says my score is 740 so I am hopeful to get approved for the Citi Double Cash and US Bank Cash+.

Sallie Mae and Citi DC are my two primary rewards cards. US Bank Cash+' restaurant category got reduced to 2% in November, so it's no longer a worthwhile card from my perspective. That being said, Chase Freedom Q2FY15 rewards is 5% on restaurants, if you're interested in chasing rewards.

Dengraz
Sep 8, 2003
[empty]

Dancing Peasant posted:

Anyone (like me) carrying the Costco AmEx card? If so, it's about to be useless in a year or so:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/american-express-to-lose-costco-exclusivity-1423746408

Though they will continue to take Visa/MC debit cards, but I don't like carrying debit cards personally, so this kinda blows.

I think this is still a bit up in the air, from what I've seen about it. It seems likely that Costco would establish a new exclusivity deal with one of the other networks or issuers (I heard they went with CapitalOne MC in Canada).

Also, I'll probably be converting my Costco amex to one of their other offerings (BCE to start, most likely) and I've read online people having success in doing that.

Dengraz
Sep 8, 2003
[empty]

asur posted:

If you haven't gotten the sign up bonus you should apply instead of converting.

Yeah that's probably a good idea - I just don't want to lose the credit history since my Costco card is pretty old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dengraz
Sep 8, 2003
[empty]

FelixReynolds posted:

Heyo all, great information here and the thread has been a huge help setting up my cc situation.

Applied for and received the Sallie Mae Card recommended in the OP, so that's awesome, but now I'm wanting to grab a travel-related card as I work freelance in film and fly 2-3 times a month. I was set on the Barclaycard Arrival +, but unfortunately was declined due to (according to Barclays) the number of recent credit inquiries I've had. I just moved back to the US and the only things I can think of that would have looked in to my credit are my apartment application and the SM card, so whether or not that's the actual reason is beyond me.

I don't know about Chase Sapphire Preferred, but Barclay's Recon line is 866-408-4064. Might be worth a shot to give it a call.