Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
What experience do people have with transferring credit limits from one card by the same issuer to another?

I just called Citi and asked if my Double Cash credit limit could be raised. After checking, she said she'd have to do a credit pull. I asked about moving off one of my other 6 cards and she said that would require a pull, too.

Tangental question, when I close one of my cards, will Citi be open to taking that credit limit and applying it to a card I'm keeping open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

And your last question, I don't think so. Once your card is closed it's closed.
Sorry, I mean to do either at the point of closing (but not after) or maybe days before closing.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Probably dumb question about minimum spend and fees/credits.

Which of these count towards minimum spend and which don't?

I assume these don't:
* Annual Fee
* Any other fees

I assume these do:
* Global Entry Fee (which is credited back)
* Airfare (which is credited back)

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Citi Prestige

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
OK so I need some help with Citi Thank You points. Specifically, I have the Citi Thank You Premier and the Citi Prestige. As I'm sure you know, having both cards allows you to combine points, and then redeem them at better rates for American Flights. (1.6 cents per point). So, if you plan on having both cards indefinitely, you should combine points and redeem and live a long happy life of paying $545 annual fees ($95 for Premier and $450 for Prestige).

However, there is a problem if you plan on not keeping one of the cards. In my case, I got my Prestige card 6 months after the Premier, so I would like to close the Premier soon and then Prestige 6 months later.

If I don't combine the points, I can easily close one before the other, and then I just need to make sure to use the points before 60 days after I close. However, if I don't combine the cards, I don't get to redeem the Premier points at higher rate.

If I do combine the points, I can redeem all of my points at the higher rate. However, if I combine them, the Citi folks tell me I can't use "one card's points" or the other. It seems like they will randomly use the points and there is a chance that when I cancel a card, I might have been spending the wrong points all along.

Am I missing something here?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I have had the Citi Dividend World Elite MasterCard for 14 years (it was my first credit card).

In the last 3 years or so, I've started opening cards that actually give me good return, and this thing just sort of sits there. I do the "make a $10 charge and autopay" thing, but it kinda bothers my OCD that the card is even still open.

How much of a negative hit on my credit can I expect to get by closing it?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
When I log into my Starwood account, I see that my 2 stays/5 nights credit is already there for having the Amex card open.

If I cancel my card today, do those stick around for this whole year or do they disappear?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Barry posted:

I can't imagine they would ever attempt to claw back that benefit.

Cacafuego posted:

I cancelled mine last year and they stayed.
Thanks. I canceled today.

Starwood status is not that beneficial to me, so I don't really care about the free night benefits and the Boingo wireless I used to use but now I have a cellphone plan with unlimited tethering so can't justify $95.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Partner and I are looking for a joint credit card to start sharing expenses easier, so I have a few questions about which way to go.

1. If partner and I want a joint card, should we apply as a couple or just one of us and add the other as an authorized user? Is there any pro or con to doing either way?
2. Which reward points card has the best redemption interface? I remember some cards back in the day made it real hard to use points.
3. Do you generally get more for your money redeeming the points for flights vs just getting a cash back card? While we like the idea of booking an international trip using miles as it “feels” free, if cash back is more rewarding I’d rather just do that and pay cash for tickets when we want to travel.