Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Wells Fargo Propel American Express card is pretty sweet if you're able to pay expenses off in full each month. Regardless of holdings, it's free for the first year and then $45/year. You get bonus points if you meet minimum holdings requirements in "linked" PMA (premium checking) packages.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/propel365/

It rules for me because 1) I signed up under an introductory program where they waive my fees if I keep $10k linked; 2) we have enough linked funds to get 25% bonus reward points; 3) my mortgage is through Wells Fargo so I've been using rewards as cash toward my mortgage. I could also just dump it straight to one of the cash accounts. Wife and I do around 90% of all expenses through the card. We opened it in January and I've already applied $750 in rewards toward our mortgage principal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks Asur. You might be right. I have an irrational historical hatred for Citi (they kicked me when I was down) but I work for a financial company and I know that we're all lovely so I should get past that. This prompted me to do some quick math. In the 10 or so months we've had the card I'm getting a total cash back of 1.598% with all the bonuses.

We've spent around $42k on the card and on pace for $50k per year and at that rate the .4% I'm leaving on the table is around $200 vs. the Citi card. I'll consider changing. The only trade off is the convenience of having all my stuff in one place (Wells Fargo) but I should consider being less lazy occasionally.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'm the CISO for a financial services firm and so I know a little about how cyber security insurance works. It was obvious to me that when I was recently contacted to have my card replaced, that it was neither Wells Fargo nor American Express who were contacting me. They couldn't answer any of my questions so I panicked and called Wells Fargo. They wouldn't verify to me whether the card was being replaced due to a data breach but they did verify that it was a large scale event and that it was being handled by a third party call center. Could have been either Home Depot or Target and I'm guessing these were processed under a cyber security insurance claim and that the insurance company was handling the call load.