Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
They may be able to upgrade or product change your secured card to another offering. This will keep the credit line's opening date the same on your credit report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Or use the credit to get gift cards. In many cases you can exchange $20 in Discover cash back for a $25 gift card.

But I'm guilty of using the credit on Amazon since it's so easy. But this quarter Amazon is one of the 5% bonus categories I think.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

It appears that Southwest will let your spend and sign up bonus points apply toward the Companion Pass. If you can get those points early next year, you'll get companion pass for the remainder of 2015 and all of 2016.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

If you pay the statement balance (which is different than the full balance) by the due date, you will incur no interest charges and that statement balance will be reported to the bureaus. According to Credit Karma their A rating for utilization is between 1-20%. But usually my real TransUnion FICO is higher than the "fake" one CK gives me, which pulls from TransUnion. And my statement balances are always reported, but I keep them under 20% total.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Credit issuers don't generally give out credit to folks without income anymore.

You could lie on your application though! (don't)

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

People definitely use those and get terrible value for their points, it might be the most "profitable" point redemption for the card issuer.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

If Visa Signature is meant to compete with mid-level Amex on a product level, it failed the first test. Delta Amex deposited bonus miles as soon as I hit my spending threshold. Southwest Visa Signature waits until the billing cycle, then 4-6 weeks. It's like, you get every piece of financial data on me instantly, can respond within minutes of any suspicious purchase like a Jack in the Box meal buy 40 miles from my home, and you have all the control of my financial future with a credit score-- but you need over a month to process and apply a few hundred dollars worth of airline miles? What do you think my scam to get HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS from a financial institution is, and how will one month delay stop it?

I had the Chase SW card a couple years back and got 25,000 miles after my first purchase posted to the account. That's pretty lame if it takes 4-6 weeks now, but aren't they doing 50,000 point bonuses now? My rapid rewards account is empty and I've been thinking of churning that again later this year to reload on them.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

How does Amex calculate average account age? I've had an Amex since college in 2007 and still have that original card as well as a platinum card. Do I have 1 account with an age of 8 years? If I close the old college card will that decrease the age of my account?

You should have two accounts with the age of 8 years. Check your member since date on both cards, they should both have 07. If not just call them up and they can adjust your MSD, and the account age will update on your credit report too.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

hitachi posted:

I actually have the Chase Freedom not Sapphire. Does anyone know if I can sign up for the Sapphire and get the 40k sign up bonus still? I think I read some places restrict you to one bonus redemption ever.

Yes you can, and Chase is probably one of the most generous on allowing you to churn sign up bonuses on the same products.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Don't close your oldest credit account.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

THF13 posted:

If the 1% card has an annual fee I would call and see if it is possible to downgrade it to a card without one. If it has an annual fee and you can't downgrade it I would just cancel it.

Cancelling your oldest credit card should be avoided, but it's not really a big deal. Cards in good standing will remain on your credit report for ~10 years after closing so the length of your credit history doesn't just disappear. You will lose the available credit on the card which will lower your utilization though.

It is kind-of credit score gaming but closing an account will immediately affect your average age of accounts.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Yeah the Member Since Date on your Starwood card should read 03, if not you should call them and have it adjusted.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

If anyone has the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card they're making some changes effective June 1. New 2x category for dining, which joins current 2x categories for grocery and gas stations. No forex fees, and $100 airline credit similar to the $200 credit you get on the AMEX Platinum card. They are dropping the 15,000 point bonus for spending $30k each year you have the card. The annual fee goes up to $195 from $175, but that airline credit helps ease the pain there. I could really benefit from that because I pay $25 to check a bag each way, then get reimbursed for it through work so I could actually double dip there...

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

I would use it for baggage, but it would also apply to drinks, food, or entertainment while on board - probably seat upgrades too. While not the intended use, there are flyertalk types who buy a gift card or miles up to the credit amount. So buy $100 giftcard for your airline and get a credit to your AMEX for $100. Apparently you can only pick one airline the credit can be used for every year.

And where did you get the 75k bonus point offer?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Oh it's the business version of the card. The changes I posted are for the personal gold rewards card, but it's possible they might add the airline credit to the business version too.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

smackfu posted:

I have 30k or so miles from the AA card, but what's the best way to use them?

Probably domestic AA flights? Miles tend to devalue horribly if you redeem them for other uses.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Looks like there is now less than a month left to apply for the Barclaycard US Airways Dividend Miles card with 50,000 point sign up bonus (after first purchase and annual fee payment of $89).

The US Airways and AAdvantage programs are merging around the end of April so your Dividend Miles will become AAdvantage points around then.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

"Within the next thirty days" so possibly sooner than that.

You're right, looks like the cut off to apply for the US Airways MC is March 20.

Put my app in today and wasn't instantly approved. For whatever reason Barclaycard hates me.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Discover probably has the best web interface I've used. Clean, modern, and free of superfluous animations.

The new AMEX works but I agree with the problems mentioned already. Chase and Citi look like they came from the early 2000's. Barclaycard is okay but looks like a fisher price design team made it.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Yep, looks like the US Airways card is gone for good now. I know Barclaycard took it off their list a while back but you could still apply through US Airways website. USAirways.com has links to the Citi AAdvantage now.

How long does the 50k miles take to hit your account after the annual fee is charged?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Barclaycard's Ring gives 1% as statement credits on balance transfers with no fee. Only issue I know of with that card is ridiculously low limits.

VV Correct

nickutz fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 3, 2015

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Doesn't look like AMEX will be "backdating" any new cards that existing customers apply for as of last month. For those of you who didn't know, any time you added an AMEX account they would report the card to the agencies as opened in the same year and your first AMEX card. Myself as an example, I had an AMEX green charge card in 2006, but applied for many of their products in 2012/13 for sign up bonuses, and all those showed on my credit report as opened in 2006.

This was the ultimate credit score gaming so I'm not surprised to see it go.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

There's a huge thread on the MyFico forums if you feel like wading in:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-No-Longer-Backdating-to-Credit-Bureau-s/td-p/3907659

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Folks might want to check your AMEX offers, I had spend $20 on Amazon.com and get $20 back as a statement credit. You can usually buy an Amazon gift card for your account and get the statement credit for it.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I paid my first statement for the US Airways Barclaycard so they have my annual fee and a purchase now. When can I expect to see my 50k miles and where does ti show up? Will it show up in that "miles earned" thing on the Barclaycard website?

e: I also have a few hundred reward dollars in my Amex Blue card. I guess I completely forgot about them so is there anything I can use them for that gets me more than just using it to pay my statements?

You'll see the miles before your second statement.

On your AMEX blue you can redeem for gift cards. maybe direct deposit/check too?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Occasionally the gift cards will go on sale. You can get some $25 value cards for $20 cash back.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Discover is running a promo that doubles your cash back earned during your first 12 months. Everyday spend becomes 2% and the rotating categories will be 10%. From what I understand the extra cash back is applied as a lump sum after the first year and not in the months you earn it.

The kicker is that Discover is extending this to existing cardholders too. After a quick online chat with customer service they applied it to my account starting after the current bill cycle ends. I already use it extensively on the rotating categories but starting next month I'll earn 10% on Amazon for a quarter and will use it in place of my Citi Double Cash for the next 12 months for non category spending. I guess we'll see if next year I get a huge cashback bonus, but Discover customer service is pretty great so I'm willing to try it.

Discover has been good to me since I got their It card about 2.5 years ago, and I know I've praised the It card in this thread before despite it not really being that popular.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Discover sign up bonuses are both rare and - I think - targeted offers. I honestly didn't think about the $1,500 bonus category spend limits because I've never gotten near it in any categories.

Regarding "gaming" the cashback system: I've only ever used my Discover It for 5% categories, over an entire quarter I may not ever swipe it. But I don't do any manufactured spending; if your buddy was finding ways to max out the categories every quarter they might find issue with that. Keep in mind the $1,500 max is the spend you can earn 5% cashback on, not the max cashback you can earn.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

The balance will show on both cards/lines of credit because Chase had to cut a check or issue an ACH to Barclaycard and Paypal's creditor. So they applied the balance to your Slate, and the payment from Chase should appear on Barclays and Paypal in the next few days depending on the method they sent the payment and their payment posting policies.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

Do the points from Ink transfer to UR?

Pretty sure Ink points are already Chase Ultimate Rewards.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Chase Freedom sign up bonus $200 for a limited time - normally $100 with $500 spent in 3 months.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Shadowhand00 posted:

I recently picked up the DiscoverIT card. One nice thing with this 2x Cashback promotion is that I believe it applies to their promotional cashback offers as well. This means that for Bestbuy.com, their 5% cash back quickly turns into 10%. This is in addition to their rotating categories.

And the cash back doubling counts toward their online shopping portal bonuses too. I think last time I bought contacts it was through the portal and got 20% back.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

I've experienced the same, SM results in immediate account closure while the phone reps will make an offer for retention.

edit: This weekend I bought my niece a Panera gift card for her birthday, and the grocery store wouldn't let me use a credit card so I had to split up my transaction. I know buying those "reload" cards like moneypak/green dot/vanilla were getting clamped down on due to the manufactured spend issue. But I had never seen gift cards specific to a retailer be restricted to cash/debit only.

nickutz fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 3, 2015

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

I have it. It's a credit line provided by Synchrony Bank (they issue tons of retailer-specific cards) that's only for use on Amazon. You get a flimsy paper card in the mail with your account number on it. If you have Prime, you'll get 5% cash back on your statement as a credit every month, automatically. I order enough on Amazon via Subscribe & Save to make up for my Amazon Prime fee through the cash back.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

You should be able to double dip in the scenario you've described.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Otis Reddit posted:

If I get the Amex/JetBlue card, will my points disappear when their relationship terminates?

No. You accrue points with the card but every statement cycle AMEX sends the points to JetBlue.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

My new property manager lets us pay rent with credit cards now, and while there is a small fee, I think I'm gonna have to use that to jump on some sign up bonuses and replenish my airline miles.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

About $17

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

My share of the rent is 575, so after I hit the sign up bonus I would switch back to my bank bill pay.

edit: Or I could cover the whole rent at 1150 but then I imagine the fee doubles with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Talk to Barclaycard about a product change to one of their other cards if there are any that interest you or the rewards match your spending. I know their basic rewards card and the Sallie Mae card are both popular.

You won't get any sign-up bonus or initial special financing offer when doing a product change though.