Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You also get a grand for transferring the $100k to Merill Edge. Usually I don't like to mess around with extra brokerages, because it complicates things at tax time, but that might be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, my main concern would be that playing games means I end up earning 0% cash back for the next few years.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

TraderStav posted:

SPG is recategorizing many hotels. See the full list. I had to bump up my booking to Cancun since that is going from a 4 to a 5. Many are going down as well.

https://lacek.hs.llnwd.net/e1/starwood/2015categorychange/2015CategoryChanges.pdf

Always nice to see more cat 2s. That is the killer deal for redemption since $3000 gets you a night and they still usually would cost $90 plus tax. So over 3% back.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

dexter6 posted:

I'm headed to Thailand for 2 weeks in a few days. The way I see it, I can handle expenses a few ways:

- Bring credit card and pay 3% foreign transaction fee (but get 1% - x% cash back)

I don't think you will have much luck using a credit card for most of the expenses beyond corporate hotels. Looking at my records, I used cash almost exclusively in Thailand.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pretty much the only places we deal with that don't take Amex are some small restaurants. And occasional internet sites. But not a big deal.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have 30k or so miles from the AA card, but what's the best way to use them?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The original way was that you got one mile for each mile you flew, and then you could trade them in for a flight, usually 25,000 miles for a fight within the U.S. Great for business travelers since the flew a lot on their employers dime and got to keep the free trips.

Now you can earn miles with a credit card, usually a mile per dollar, and it often is more miles to redeem if you want to pick what day your flight is, but that's the gist.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For the really low balance one, are there any magazines you want? That's usually a good way to use up a small amount of miles.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yikes, $100 to transfer 5000 miles. So that's $0.02 per mile just in costs.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Paying back a loan reliably seems like it is something that should be in a credit score. To be honest.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EB Nulshit posted:

Wait, how do you "work" a miles program? Is there a good source that has everything I need to know in one place?

Most of these people either have their own business and put all the expenses through a rewards card, or they fly a ton for work.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently the BarclayCard Arrival+ comes with a TripIt Pro subscription. Who knew?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yes, you can opt out of pre-approved offers:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0262-stopping-unsolicited-mail-phone-calls-and-email

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

hitachi posted:

Are there any cards that give miles/points that are transferable to the United miles program?

SPG does transfers, but I think it is 2:1 which sucks since other airlines are 1:1.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some people also don't like to mess around with airline miles. Definitely harder to redeem than statement credit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Massasoit posted:

Any no fee chip and pin cards out there with no overseas charge? Doesn't have to be rewards card but that would be cool too.

I'd be surprised. No foreign transaction fee is a pretty valuable service, once you start spending a few thousand bucks overseas.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I used to have an Amex SPG for years, and then got my fiance to sign up for one to get the sign-up bonus. Then I cancelled mine in Dec 2013 because having two was pretty pointless. I'm a secondary user on her card though.

So the question is, can I get a sign-up bonus by signing up for the card under my name, or would I have to do the business version now?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you use Metro North or LIRR, and have an iPhone, and have a Chase card, you can get up to $30 back on tickets bought through the new MTA e-Tix app: https://www.chase.com/digital/digital-payments/apple-pay/apple-pay-mta

I had no idea this existed but got the credit accidentally.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I just signed up for it in December. Want to sign my wife up too but getting both minimum spends in overlapping months might be tough.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Barclaycard really requires you to call to dispute a charge. Grr. And their systems are down.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Amazon sent me a fancy mailer extolling the benefits of their new improved Chase card (that I already had.) Seems a bit silly waste of money.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Surprised it took so long to trickle down to free cards. How much can a metal card cost them to produce?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Being able to transfer points to airline programs can get great redemption values but it seems to make it so much more complex to figure out the best way to redeem. Especially if there are transfer delays.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So what are people doing about their Chase Sapphire Reserve now that it is coming up for renewal?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I think it is perfectly fine for us to keep the CSR. The 3% on restaurants then 1.5x redemption on travel is hard to beat and we spend a decent amount on travel each year.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Have not had any issues with Chase.

American Express has been super vigilant on some charges they considered sketchy. Denied the charge and called me and texted me and sent an alert on my app and emailed me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

State Farm takes Apple Pay through their app if you are looking for some spending and happen to have them as your insurer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do not understand Chase. They wouldn’t issue me a card until after they sent me a letter and I called them on the phone, at which point they verified my cell number by texting me. That’s it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Have a vague recollection of some card that gives more cash back if you have a fairly high amount in your associated brokerage account. Ring a bell for anyone?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Can anyone give some more info on the “use points to stay at premium Hyatt properties?” We did something similar a few years ago using SPG points in Europe to stay at very fancy places (that my wife loved) but those redemptions have basically tripled at this point. 20k points and 60k points a night are very different.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So it’s worth it to transfer to Hyatt even though you give up the 1.5x redemption bonus for CSR?

3x was a bad example for SPG / Bonvoy, I just feel like they keep moving properties into higher tiers that make it impossible to stay anywhere for more than two nights. Unless we move all our spend to the Amex Bonvoy card.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple Card is out now. Sign up process was pretty easy once I unfroze TransUnion and they gave me a pretty hefty limit. Will probably only use it for Apple purchases but that is sadly quite a chunk of money.

Also they added 3% Uber which is pretty good if you don’t have the Uber card already.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just realized that I bet Apple Card doesn’t have Mint or any other kind of integration.

Yep: https://www.imore.com/apple-card-wont-support-exporting-data-mint-launch

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When do people actually use airport lounges? Mostly long connections or delayed flights? We don’t usually get to the airport hours early or anything.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks, that’s what I thought.

Trip report on using Apple Card in Europe: 90% of places use handheld readers that support contactless payment so you get the 2% cash back and there is no foreign transaction fee. And Ubers were super cheap (in Portugal at least) and you get 3% on them. Not a bad choice for a free card, if you have an iPhone.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Personally we have been using Airbnb’s almost exclusively lately which has made it a bit harder to use up our Chase rewards points.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anything much new in the world of credit cards for 2020? Assume I have all the recommended cards from a year or two ago, plus the Apple Card.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

angryrobots posted:

What do you have and what are you interested in doing? Like are you doing a lot of travel spend or more interested in cash back on low/no AF cards?

I guess mostly asking about new cards with good signup offers, or new cards that have good cash back categories that are different from existing cards. The ones I have are fine for what they are but if I can get 5% instead of 2% that might be worth adding a card to the rotation.

Currently have CSR, Freedom Unlimited, Freedom as my main cards, plus Apple Card for contactless and Amazon Card for Amazon.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I love the marketer who came up with “$120 of DoorDash credits” as a feature of the new CSR when it’s $60 per year.

Personally we don’t use delivery at all so this is worthless to me and increases the effective annual fee from $150 to $250 which is just too steep. We just renewed at the old price so I guess it doesn’t matter for a year though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I can’t figure out how to enable DashPass on my CSR. I signed up and added the card to my payments but it still wants me to pay for DashPass.

Edit: I had to delete the CSR card from the website (because the app doesn’t let you delete the only card), then go back through the activation flow from the email to add it, and it worked.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 18, 2020