Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Amex generally pro-rates the annual fee if you cancel mid year and gives you a partial refund. Does anyone know what they do about the Bonvoy free night award in that case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

asur posted:

I don't believe Amex prorates the fee anymore unless you downgrade.

Thanks, I suppose I was relying on five year old experience there. Or older.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Two Chase questions:

1) is there a way to redeem the new 1.5x points for dining/groceries on the mobile app?

2) in the app, it apparently lists breweries as “grocery” category, think that’s just a bug? Normally I would expect it to code as “dining”

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

smackfu posted:

1) is there a way to redeem the new 1.5x points for dining/groceries on the mobile app?

Figured it out. You have to go to the main Ultimate Rewards page (below all your cards on the main page) and be on a Sapphire card. Then the hamburger menu has a “pay yourself back” option.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Surprised Chase put Amazon as the 5% Freedom category for the next quarter. If you can transfer the points to CSR, that is better than their own Amazon card.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I swear when I was in college it was pretty easy to get $1000 or $2000 limit real credit cards with basically no credit history, because they wanted to suck you into the credit life style. Have times changed?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tangentially related to this thread but we signed up for a Citizens bank account to get the bonus and even for $300 I’m not sure it was worth the hassle.

1) it was a pain to sign up and required us to send them a drivers license scan.

2) the monthly account fee is $25. We had to pay two of them before the bonus posted. So not really a $300 bonus. I think the only way to waive the fee was to have a very large amount in deposit, enough where the interest loss would have been sizable.

3) canceling the account is a pain. Per the support, you can only close accounts with $0, and it costs $3 to do outgoing transfers. They can’t just mail a check like every other bank.

4) bank account bonuses are treated like interest so you are taxed on them.

All in all, would not recommend. Also unclear why anyone would use Citizens Bank.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks, I thought the mailer I got required the stupid expensive checking account. Still don’t understand why anyone would have these products, unless it’s the only physical bank in town and you need a physical bank.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

runawayturtles posted:

Is this worth doing if you don't already have something like a retirement account there? It seems like the loss of any sort of interest rate on that 100k would offset the fraction of a percent increase in cash back.

You can transfer any brokerage account to Merrill and the stock value counts towards the total needed.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sign up bonus is only if you have no Sapphire card, right? So downgrading from a CSR is no go.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah I see, it’s pretty easy to “not have any Sapphire card” if you choose.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I guess Chase doesn’t want people stockpiling rewards point to use on future travel?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I figure this is the closest thread to what I'm looking for. I don't want a credit card recommendation, but rather an online bank recommendation:
So Ally Bank has:
18 months activity online with check images. Statements are available to start of account.
Easy to make new accounts.
No issue depositing large checks, funds availability may vary especially over $25k.

Maybe one of the other online banks has better activity available though?

One thing to watch out for is if anyone pays by money order, which can be hard / impossible to online deposit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We also just got a very glossy year-in-review pamphlet reminding us of all the CSR benefits and how much we got back.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I believe you can get it as statement credit or cash which is slightly better than using it at Amazon.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For the CSR, is the travel credit year not aligned with the membership fee year? I was surprised to start getting travel credits in mid December but the annual fee was charged in January 1. What if you cancel in between?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They did end up delaying the annual fee increase (to $550) so there’s kind of $100 of retention there.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

astral posted:

Effective February 19, 2021, the following changes will be made to the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card:
  • :siren:Cash rewards will expire at the end of the calendar month 36 months after the billing cycle in which they were earned.:siren:
  • Automatic monthly cash rewards redemptions will be discontinued.
  • :siren:The one-time $25 Cash+ Bonus for redemptions of $100 or more will be discontinued.:siren:
  • The minimum redemption required to redeem for a U.S. Bank Visa Rewards Card increases from $20 to $25.

It’s great how obvious these are about making it less likely people will redeem the awards they earned. Hope some MBA got a promotion.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If someone were to actually pay for Priority Pass, would it be better than the credit card version? Looks like it is really quite expensive: $100 plus $32 per visit, or $300 including 10 visits, or $430 for unlimited.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is the debit Red Card the best option for Target? It’s 5% off at checkout time and the money comes right of your bank account a few days later.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Limiting Pay Yourself Back to certain categories seems a bit silly when the categories include restaurants and groceries. Basically not even a limit if you use the card at all.

I’m guessing after COVID it will only be available for travel expenses?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, those steps you have to follow get a little shady near the end. “Call up to make sure the second application gets approved that day, but if the rep asks too many questions, hang up and call again to get a less attentive rep.”

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of Chase offers, they’ve had some decent ones lately. Like 10% cash back on PetCo and Big Lots, which are pretty painless to take advantage of. Also if you plan on signing up for any streaming service, there is often an offer to get the first month cost back.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Part of the Apple Card “no fees” thing is no foreign transaction fees, which I think it still unusual for a free card.

In general, I think it’s a good free card if you usually use Apple Pay, which is pretty common now. We use CSR for restaurant and travel (4.5% back), Chase Amazon for Amazon and Whole Foods (5% back) and then Apple Card for most of the rest (2% back). Biggest issue is that I probably use the CSR more than I should for things have no bonus and only earn 1.5%.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Chaotic Flame posted:

Am I missing something with this Amex "Pay Over Time" thing? It just sounds like a credit card? They're really pushing it and offering 20k points for activating it though so I feel like I'm missing something.

Isn’t it mainly a feature on their charge cards? So yes it makes them more like credit cards.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s pretty funny looking through my emails from Venmo for their credit card.

I was offered:
* no bonus in February
* $50 in March
* $75 in April
* $100 in May

And no current offer but double percentage back.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I would guess that a card charge would have a lower effective limit since they know you have to be able to pay it off each month.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That reminds me… I’m considering switching to a Plat Amex for the Resy sign up bonus but I’m not even sure what I would do with 125k plus MR points.

For our CSR I usually just end up using Pay Myself Back now, or I would use it for travel purchases at 1.5x before that existed.

What do people do with MR points?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For instance: $200 in airline fee credits for one airline vs $200 in credits for any travel expenses. We easily spend $200 on travel a year but don’t spend that much at a single airline on fees.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes but there are rumors they may do the same in the US. I have a Prime Visa and don’t really care if it’s Visa or MC since I have multiples of both.

Seems like the underlying bank is more important than Visa vs MC. Chase gets a lot of charge volume through that Amazon card. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are paying Amazon for the right to offer the card.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kind of amazed any company is having employees put $10k of spending on their personal cards.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Especially bad idea since I’m sure that using your personal card is supposed to be a one time exception, not an every delivery thing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any particular reason not to use Pay Yourself Back for Chase Points if you get the 1.5x CSR redemption?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

Yeah, the "should of" would raise red flags with me.

Heh, that probably just means they aren’t using completely canned responses.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s so weird that my CSR fee is charged on Jan 1 but the $300 Travel Credit resets apparently on Dec 11th or so. If I didn’t renew, I assume they would claw that back but why not just make the travel credit use a calendar year?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah, that makes more sense that I’m on some grandfathered thing that they can’t change because it would either help or hurt existing members.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone have any opinions on the Peloton app subscription, since apparently there is a $120 credit included with the CSR? The app is $13 a month so not quite free but $36 a year isn’t bad if it’s good. (This is different from the bike subscription, apparently.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The biggest scam is having the bonus category be recurring stuff like streaming services or utilities because they want you to switch it and then forget to switch it back.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, I also just signed up for the Amex Delta Gold. They are heavily advertising it during the Delta checkout process since it has a sizable Delta credit as a sign up bonus. Yes I would like $400 off the flight I’m looking at right now, and the first year fee waived. (The amount varies but they are all decent.)

Unfortunately the instant card number got botched so I have to wait for the physical card to book the flight. Not ideal but eh, easy money.

Also no idea why it takes 8-12 weeks to get your credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They make 2-3%. So any rewards above that are probably losing them money.