Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Shroomie posted:

In my experience when Amex says a credit or bonus is going to take 8-12 weeks to post it's actually more like 48 hours.

It was in fact two calendar days after the Delta charge cleared before I got the credit. Not bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Veskit posted:

If you add an authorized user on a card in general (chase or amex) can you see which person made what charges or do they just all pool into the same account?

My Chase cards for my wife have the same card number so no way to tell. Might be different for cards where you have to pay for the authorized user like CSR.

Amex cards have a different card number and the authorized user is definitely not treated as the account owner and can only see their own charges when they log in. Primary user can see both and they are tagged with the account name.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tried to contest a charge on my Apple Card through their app and was very not impressed with the experience. Dumped me into a Messages chat with “Apple” and said they would get back to me later. When they eventually messaged back, it wasn’t even someone from the bank side, it was someone from App Store support. After wasting my time for a bit more, they transferred me and the end result was “this cannot be resolved online, please call.” The future!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The CSR 1.5x Pay Yourself Back really makes most of the reward redemptions not very competitive. We booked a Hyatt Place on vacation and the redemption was okay and we saved a bit of money but nothing amazing considering we were locked into Hyatt properties.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there a particular Amex card that is a good daily driver, ignoring sign up bonuses?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Where’s that 2.8x Hyatt number coming from? Super high end properties? High season?

I just was looking at Hyatts in NYC for March and I’d say the value ranged from 1.7x to 2.1x and the 2.1x was at the Park Hyatt for 80k points for a $1700 stay.

Edit: guess that is Nerdwallets estimate and others value them more like 1.7x.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 1, 2022

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If I still have an old Chase Freedom, can I product change a CSR into a Freedom Flex?

Edit: Nevermind, I thought Freedom Flex replaced Freedom but I guess they are different.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 12, 2022

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One weird thing is that they will often put both the business name and your name on the card, so for a sole prop it will have your name twice.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did CSR keep restaurants for 2023 for pay-yourself-back or get rid of it? I closed mine so just curious.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Space Fish posted:

I take back my earlier comment, Pay Yourself Back got even worse, and for both Sapphires:

Preferred:
-Points can be redeemed at 1:1 value for purchases at gas stations and at grocery stores through March 31, 2023

I thought you could always redeem points 1:1 for cash which makes this part meaningless.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Amazon promos make sense to me because we have that card and never carry it. It’s just a permanent 5% discount at Amazon from our perspective.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah it seems like maybe their pool of card numbers isn’t big enough and the expiration dates are too similar so people are getting fraud charges on their cards as soon as they are activated. Big mess.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Keep in mind that you do have to pay taxes on bank bonuses though, it’s treated exactly like interest.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some of the airlines will try to sell you their card midway through the booking and those offers can be good bang for you buck. Like I got $300 off a Delta flight that way.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Hey thread, for sapphire reserve, the doordash membership is a ~12 month total benefit right , then the benefit is permanently gone and I have to shell out full price to renew doordash pass each year, is that right?

Hmm, I cancelled my CSR, does that mean I have to manually cancel the Doordash thing?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It looks like some weird state where my DashPass doesn't expire until Dec 31, 2024, but if I don't pay on my (cancelled) CSR, I don't get the benefits.

Anyways, I cancelled DashPass regarldess, and it says I can use the benefits until Jan 18, 2024. WTF

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I imagine a lot of people literally only use their Amazon card at Amazon and lock up the physical card, so makes sense they would have promos to get more usage.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So annoyed that I’m in stupid Amex pop up jail for the green card.

I just want something from Amex that gives decent restaurant rewards. But not badly enough that I will foregoing the sign up bonus obviously.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This scheme doesn’t make much sense to me. if you had two Roth IRAs at two different institutions, they would also easily let you overcontribute but that wouldn’t do you any good when the forms get sent to the IRS.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

Schwab doesn’t consider them contributions and doesn’t report them as such.

Wow. I agree this isn’t something I would want to involved myself in, it seems like the kind of loophole they close and then send corrected tax forms.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Shroomie posted:

Two player mode. Amex giving out business card offers with no "once in a lifetime" clause like candy. Crazy offers to add 99 employee cards and get 5,000 points for each, and the phone reps will just put your name + roman numerals 1-99. Big Chase Ink SUBs. Massive Venture X Business SUBs.

Bank and brokerage bonuses can be pretty juicy, as well.

Some of that seems a little over the fraud line.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there really any difference between the travel portals and booking.com, which I’ve had pretty good success with?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is this just general worry that you will sign up for the card and then tap to pay won’t work? That seems like something you could just complain about if it happens to you.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Or for instance you might have a ton of SPG points which were valuable and then Starwood went away.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

drk posted:

BCP also has 3% on gas and transit, and 6% on streaming services. Value depends on your spend and what other cards you have that might have similar benefits.

They also count Apple App Store purchases as streaming services which is a nice bonus.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you submit an application and aren’t eligible for the bonus, it will tell you before pulling your credit score and you can cancel the application.

This is what they call “pop up hell” because it’s a pop up window.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

My first shock was finding out that I could go on Bank 1’s website and connect Bank 2 to it, all without going to Bank 2’s website. Then, still on Bank 1’s website, I could initiate a transfer to move money from Bank 2 into Bank 1. Again, all without leaving Bank 1’s website or having Bank 2 ask me for explicit permission.
That’s not typical… generally you have to prove you have control of the Bank 2 account, either by logging in or by verifying the amount of test transactions.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Well, now we are back to credit cards, where I want to pay my credit card bill from my account at Bank 2 but initiated via the Chase site.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some interesting Amex Offers showed up for 20% off on large single purchases in France, Italy, or the UK. Wonder if there is a way to take advantage of I’m not actually in any of those countries.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah yes, didn’t realize it was for a very limited set of merchants so never mind.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don’t think it will work, to be honest. You’ll type in the routing number and it will say it’s not valid.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We switched to straight cash cards last year instead of points-earning ones. I think that was an okay decision but I do miss being able to book hotels with points.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Is this because you were able to get nicer hotels for "cheaper" using points or because it felt like you were booking "for free" when using points?

Thinking more, it was mainly transferring Chase points to Hyatt and getting very good value.

Two examples from 2022:
Hyatt Place in SLC for two nights for 17,500 points.
Andaz in NYC for two nights for 50,000 points.

Those were both over 2.5 cents per point compared to the going rate at the time. Also I’d be reluctant to spend that much on the NYC rooms in cash just on principle.

The other good hack is when points stays are a fixed rate but the cash rate is artificially high. We wanted to go to Carlsbad Caverns and all the hotels in Carlsbad were $300 a night because all the oil industry guys were staying there and I guess they jacked the rates. But in the system it was still a category two so only 20K Marriott points for two nights.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I will say that having cash back that can only be used as a statement credit doesn’t feel like as much of a bonus as “free” hotel rooms. All the statement credit does is change my autopay amount which I don’t pay attention to anyway.

(This is totally an arbitrary mental thing, I know.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Very random they only take one card type in store and two card types online. Must be some odd exclusive deal they have with Visa.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also worth checking if your insurance provider has a version that is cheaper. Ours at State Farm is under $5 per car for six months. Our new car is actually under $1, I guess they must do actual insurance calculations to price it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

saintonan posted:

Since the major value of UR/MR is transferring directly to airlines (or Hyatt in the case of UR, the only hotel transfer partner I'd recommend), this is a pretty big deficiency.

If and when Hyatt nerfs their program, it will be a sad day.

Is the issue with the other hotel transfers that the programs have so devalued their points that it’s worth less than 1 cent per point?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

drk posted:

Technically a monthly fee is not an annual fee

My annual compliance training at work would be very unhappy with that “technically.”

Implying stuff is free when it’s not is like the biggest sin of false advertising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

“IRA transfers and old 401(k) rollovers also earn 3% until April 30.”

Just have to keep subscribed to Gold for one year.

Edit: sorry, also:
“Keep in mind, you must hold the funds in your IRA for at least 5 years to keep the match, and be a Robinhood Gold subscriber for 1 year after the first deposit that earns the 3% match.”

https://robinhood.com/us/en/support/articles/ira-gold-match-2024/

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 2, 2024