Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Other than it occasionally not being accepted in some places, I feel like my Discover card has been really amazing. I also love that I can link it to Amazon and apply my cashback points to any purchases there right away. They match all the 5% cashback categories that Chase Freedom does, and are currently doing a promotion (invite only, but luckily I'm in) for an extra $300 cashback after 5 months when I put $2000 on the card every month.

Good customer service too. The Chase Freedom customer service were assholes compared to Discover when my wallet got stolen and I was freaking out. But that guy could have just been having a really bad day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Yeah, like I said, I could've caught a bad customer service rep, and since my wallet had been stolen I was probably a little emotionally sensitive. But I just got way better vibes from Discover that day.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
plastiq.com is a service that will take your credit card payment and send your landlord a check for a 2.5% fee. There's also Radpad.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
As long as you don't ever miss payments, applying for lots of credit cards really isn't that bad for your credit score in my experience (790 when I started hitting those signup bonuses hard, and it's still always been hanging out between 720-780). I've had roughly 10 new cards in the past 2 years, with the vast majority this past year. The lowest it dipped was when I got 2 cards in 2 weeks and it seems to rebound back quite a bit after 90 days.

I've made lots of rewards, but I barely know what I'm doing as far as getting the maximum value out of miles and points. It will probably be better for you since you seem to have a specific plan.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Wow that's wild.

It says in-store, so I guess the Uber app using Apple Pay would not apply?

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Yep, but Freedom is already doing 5x restaurants this quarter.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Unless there is an annual fee, keep the card open and make a small purchase on it every couple years to keep it alive. Over time it will help your credit score as the age of the accounts grows higher. Or if you're not down with that, you can close it for simplicity and knowing you don't have to deal with it anymore. That's fine too. No reason to wait for any particular time.

If there is an annual fee, canceling is fine whenever. I wait until the annual fee is going to post soon before I call to cancel. Sometimes they will offer to downgrade your card to a no-fee version when you try to cancel due to the fee, and I always take that. Also worth noting that if the annual fee posts when you're not paying attention, you can call and cancel and it will almost always be refunded to you.

I also keep all my credit card info in a spreadsheet, noting if there is an annual fee or not, and the date that I opened the account. It also helps to keep track of rewards. If you're playing the signup bonus game you should definitely be organized about it!

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Hadn't used my old Discover card in a while - to lure me back, Discover upgraded my card to a Discover IT, along with the 1yr cashback bonus match offer!

I already opened a Discover IT a few years ago and got the 1 year cashback match then. It's so awesome that Discover is encouraging me to churn this deal, lol.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

From what I'm reading, if I add an authorized user to my CC, and I have excellent credit (long credit history, no bad marks, high credit limits), I can help improve their credit score at no hit to my own (assuming they don't run up a huge bill and gently caress me over obviously). Does the opposite hold true, then? If after a time I remove them as an authorized user and they then lose that account, their credit will take the hit as if they closed an old CC line?

Yes, yes and yes

I know this because I asked my parents to add me back to their CC account for this reason.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Yes, there's a ~3% fee to send money to a friend on Paypal with a credit card. But at 5% cashback, you'll still come out ahead.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I want to get TSA Precheck, are there any no annual fee cards that will cover the cost for me? Preferably with a sweet signup bonus

I know Chase Sapph Reserve does that - is that card still a good deal even with the massive AF? I'm not sure where I'm at with 5/24 but it's been quite some time since I opened a chase card so maybe.

I think I have enough United miles sitting around for this deal which I will probably do if there aren't any good signup bonuses - https://securityfees.mileageplus.com/
(edit: after some research I don't think this is a particularly good deal as I think I'd get a better value for my united miles by buying plane tickets. seems like they average 1.5c per mile so 10k miles is about $150 of flight credit and TSAPre is only $85. but I just want free poo poo ugh lol)

spatula fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 5, 2019

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Thanks yall. That PenFed Pathfinder thing looked good, but then I saw I have to be a PenFed credit union member and that's way too much work for a bonus. I had a traumatic experience opening a checking account for a Citi bonus where I ended up having to write to CFPB twice about it before they gave me my gd points.

CSR does not waive the first year fee. But I guess it still looks pretty good if I cancel it before the 2nd annual fee hits. Did the bonus use to be better or something? I had some vague idea that I "missed the boat" on this card which is why I haven't considered it too deeply.

Also - I've had a Chase Sapphire Preferred and currently a Chase Sapphire after I product changed it to stop the annual fees. Will Chase give a poo poo about this if I try to get a Reserve?

I seem to be well under the 5/24 Chase rule according to my Credit Karma data (which surprised me. When they instituted that rule I was like 12/24 lol. I'm slowing down!)

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

astral posted:

Citi's one of the worst as far as anything IT related goes, especially when it comes to checking accounts; your experience with PenFed would likely be much better.

If you opened/received a signup bonus for any Sapphire card in the last 4 years you're ineligible to receive any Sapphire signup bonus during that period.

I believe that! I don't think anything could be worse than the Citi experience I had. One time I logged into my checking account and was literally looking at someone else's information. Christ. Citibank, never again.

I just recently opened a Discover Savings account for a $200 bonus and don't want to juggle any more bank accounts. They're just harder to close than credit cards and seem more difficult. Maybe Citi just traumatized me that much though.

And THANK YOU for that info on the Sapphire bonus - I just called Chase and they told me I received my CSP bonus in June 2015 so I'm actually eligible for a bonus on the Reserve now. But I wouldn't have known to check if I wasn't. I'll probably apply for the Reserve today.

While I'm here, here's my current credit card stack to max my cashback -

Discover IT + Chase Freedom - rotating 5% categories
Amazon Prime Visa - 5% on amazon and 2% at drugstores
Uber Visa - 4% restaurants and 2% online purchases (but a lot of my online purchases aren't counted under this, grrrrr)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday - 3% grocery stores
Chase Freedom Unlimited - 1.5% everything

I guess I'm lacking a good travel card now (cancelled many of them to avoid AFs), so the Reserve will fit in nicely. It probably won't be worth it for me after the first year especially when I put so much other spend on other cards, but I'll get my TSA Precheck and take the bonus and run. And maybe hang out in an airport lounge for the novel experience.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
My parents added me as an authorized user to their card when I was very young. Eventually I was removed for inactivity and i saw my Credit Karma score drop hugely along with my average age of accounts.

I got my parents to add me back and my score went back up accordingly, so this is very much a thing. It works as long as your parents are good with credit :)

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Xenoborg posted:

Yeah it affects the score as seen on credit karma and mint, I just always assumed the real score the banks used knew better.

The Credit Karma/Mint "FAKO" scores generally track my true FICO scores - the FAKO scores are usually 20 points higher but still in the same range and go up/down at the same times. My FICO via Discover is 795 but Credit Karma says 822, my understanding is that once you get over like 770 its all the same anyway.

Someone was mentioning they have a credit line open longer than they've been alive, but I don't think any banks bother to correct for that even lol. I don't think they know how old you are... maybe they should, because I've heard a lot about people committing fraud by opening up credit accounts in their babies names, and then the kid grows up to a nasty surprise.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

astral posted:

Mastercard holders can get 2 free months of Instacart Express (free delivery on $35+ orders):

https://www.instacart.com/mastercard (redeemable between October 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021 11:59pm PT)

Terms:
https://www.instacart.com/help/section/360008747572/360049943892

Wow nice thanks for this. Just signed up with my Paypal Mastercard

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Do you goons generally prefer to churn signup bonuses, or try to earn ongoing points? Cash back, or (lol) travel?

I'm in a weird spot where I don't make enough to hit high ($5k+) travel or hit spend requirements, but the money that I could make from doing ongoing cashback/points seems like absolute peanuts. I've already enjoyed all the low-hanging big bonus fruit in terms of sign-up bonuses, and now I'm not sure whether I should start in on the more annoying ones or pivot to trying to make ongoing work for me.

I am always trying to maximize my ongoing cashback points. Cards with quarterly 5% categories like Discover and Chase Freedom are great for this.

The signup bonuses give you more faster, but I’ve been doing this for so long that i’m sure I’ve made a ton on just “regular” cashback. Every little bit counts! It adds up! And of course I’m a goony stat minmaxer so it’s satisfying to me personally

I will also sign up for good bonuses and redirect my spend to meet the requirements, but I’ve signed up for so many already that I’m running low on options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
LMAO. Amex is on to me.

They sent me an upgrade offer for the Blue Cash Preferred, but I tried to apply for a new card (the signup bonus was better) through an incognito window and received this message about how I'm not eligible for the signup deal...

Only registered members can see post attachments!