Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Cross-posting from newbie finance thread because I realize this may be a better fit:

I recently signed up for the Sallie Mae Barclaycard and did a balance transfer from my old account because I'm pretty sure it said there was an intro 0% APR offer. I can't find any information about that now, and when I check my account settings it lists my overall standard purchase APR at 13.99% with a footnote that it may not reflect any intro or promotional offers. Anybody know how I can get a concrete answer to this?

I usually pay the balance off in full every month, but this last weekend I was in a car accident and if I have the leeway then I'd rather keep some cash fluid and spread out my payments to take advantage of the 0% offer that may or may not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Thanks, I'll give it another shot. I tried calling a number I found on the website but didn't have any luck navigating the menus toward a real person.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Teeter posted:

Thanks, I'll give it another shot. I tried calling a number I found on the website but didn't have any luck navigating the menus toward a real person.

Just updating this since customer service got back to me: There's nothing on the website, but there's a section on my full statement that itemizes the various types of balance on my account and the APR for each. Below that is a separate section that lists how much must be paid in order to cover the minimum required for not paying any interest.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Massasoit posted:

I see that the Sallie Mae Barclay card is no more. Will those of us that already have them be able to keep the 5% gas/grocery/bookstore benefit?

It looks like I was still receiving rewards as of my last statement, and the reward section of the webpage still lists 5% on gas/grocery/bookstore. Do people just mean that Amazon is no longer being categorized as a bookstore? Aside from that, I'm also curious by what people mean by the Sallie Mae Barclay card being gone.

If there is a better deal out there then I'm game for switching cards.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I'm just now getting in to the world of signup bonuses and credit card rewards. For a while I've been making 90% of purchases on credit and then paying it off in full each month so I'd like to capitalize on that.

I'm curious how it works out long term, though. I just got an Amex SPG which I will use for 3 months until I earn the bonus at which point I will get the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I typically spend about $1.5k - 2k per month which seems like it would get a minuscule amount of points compared to the sign up bonuses. Is there ever a point where it's worthwhile to continue using a card to accumulate points or does it sort of fizzle out after going through the initial bonuses? Is it really front-loaded with bonuses or do the benefits of churning continue indefinitely?

I imagine that this becomes an endless cycle of opening new accounts, but I have good credit so I suppose I could deal with opening/closing a handful of cards every year in order to get free vacations out of it.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

khysanth posted:

Huh. I can't remember if I received any sort of notice in the mail about this. What happens to my card? Pretty sure I'm still getting the 5% back on groceries and fuel...

I'm in the same boat. From what I've gathered, it is just closed to new applicants. At some point they may cut our rewards but I imagine there will be some sort of notice ahead of time. Until then just keep milking it because this card kicks rear end.