Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

asur posted:

you might want to double check this. A quick look seems to indicate that sign up bonuses from SW cards count, but transfer from Chase Ultimate do not. You can apparently bypass this by transferring to Hyatt first, but it's a 2 - 1 transfer from Hyatt to SW. The easiest way I've heard is to apply for two of the SW cards with 50k offers.

Yeah that was what I heard last time I checked. I did the SW Personal Card and the SW Business Card to get the companion pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

khysanth posted:

A few months ago we picked up the Barclaycard Arrival+ and hit the sign up bonus. Today I was approved for the Chase Sapphire and will hit that bonus within the first three months.

When it comes time for us to redeem the travel rewards (probably plane tickets somewhere next year), what is the best way to use them both? Buy one ticket on each?

If its the Sapphire preferred you will probably want to transfer the points to a travel partner (SW, BA or United) for a flight. And then you might have to use the Barclaycard points to pay yourself back for the hotel or rental car. If you can't use one of Chase's travel partners, you could transfer the points to Hyatt, IHG or Marriot and then use the Barclaycard to help with flights.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Being an authorized user on someone else's credit card doesn't impact your credit at all.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

If you can do the minimum spend of $4k in 3 months, I would just do the Sapphire Preferred and get the 45k points. You will want to downgrade to the regular Sapphire or cancel after 11 months to avoid the annual fee, but 45k Chase points is going to be better than anything else out there.

In my experience, the no annual fee cards with no foreign transaction fees are also the worst for rewards. But luckily the fee cards with no foreign transaction fees also usually give good sign up bonuses. So my suggestion would be to get a different card every year. Do the sapphire this year, an Amex card next year, Wells Fargo Propel the next, and then maybe a BarclayCard, depending on who's offering the best bonus.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I think you can setup text or email alerts for when her card gets used with Chase. I would recommend something like that, at the very least to give you quicker notice in case it gets stolen.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I've transferred points from Chase to other people's frequent flyer accounts.

From doing a quick google, it looks like its technically against the terms and conditions, but I wouldn't worry about getting in trouble unless you are like a serial card churner and manufactured spender who is probably already throwing up red flags.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

If you haven't gone for the Southwest Companion Pass, I strongly suggest you go for it now while they are offering 50k miles.

According to the nerdy guys who do the math, 50k SW points are worth $1,400 in flights when you have a companion pass.

So when you add up the bonus for 2 SW cards, the normal Sapphire bonus, and the normal Ink bonus, you are looking at like $6k in free flights.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Baddog posted:

fyi, I guess chase is getting more restrictive when you open a lot of new cards quickly. I got 2 chase cards and 4 other cards in the past three months, and they just denied me for a chase ink, giving that reason. I'd heard that doing 2 cards/month was reasonable, but I guess not anymore.

I'm going to stop applying for cards for now, because I'd really like to get two southwest cards in the Dec-Jan timeframe.

Yeah I spaced out the 2 SW cards by 3 months, and then waited like another 3 to do the Ink and another 6 to do the Sapphire. I also had my wife transfer some points from her chase freedom so I could move them to SW.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

asur posted:

Do you have a side business or is there a good way to apply for a business credit card if you do not?

I consider my ebay and amazon.com sales as a side business.

This link might be helpful to you

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/06/09/3-ways-you-may-qualify-for-a-business-credit-card/

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

Do you resell things for a profit, or sell your old stuff at market value - often less than what you paid for them? Just curious how far people push this. I sell plenty of stuff on eBay and some on Amazon, but it's all my old used stuff, sold at a loss. I don't have to report this to the IRS, and I don't consider it to be business activity but perhaps Chase would...

I mostly sell old stuff, but at the time I was considering expanding to reselling things for a profit.

Insane Totoro posted:

What about if you want to travel for work and they don't give you a company card?

Does that count?

I think that would count. Those are business expenses, and it would make sense that you would want to keep them separate from personal expenses.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Dustoph posted:

Those are business expenses for the company that you work for that are reimbursable to you. They are not business expenses for your own business that you own.

Regardless, just apply for the card if you want. You either get approved or denied. Has anyone heard of them every auditing someone after they've already issued a card?

There are lots of people who don't have any credit cards, or don't have a high enough limit to put a couple flights and a hotel stay on their personal card. They might have to use cash or debit to pay for travel expenses out of their own pocket and wait to get reimbursed. A business card would allow hopefully allow them to avoid paying anything until they are reimbursed by their company.

Here's what one of the nerdy rewards guys has to say about it:

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/05/video-srq-using-a-business-credit-card-to-separate-expenses/

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Blinky2099 posted:

I'm trying to start babby's first CC min-maxing and am looking at a few options. Can someone help explain what this post means?

I see the 50k mile "Southwest Airlines Rapid RewardsŪ Premier Card" after spending $2k in 3 months. It looks like it also instantly charges you a $99 fee. What are the "2 SW cards" and "Sapphire bonus" that I could also apply to this to get essentially 6k in flights?

The other option I am looking at is the chase freedom $200 sign-up bonus after spending $500, but that's not quite as exciting. I don't want to sign up for that if it will limit my other rewards options. Any advice?

Here's a quick overview:
1. Get the personal SW card with the 50k bonus (you have to pay the $99 fee)
2. Get the business SW card with the 50k bonus if you have some spending that qualifies for a business card (you will have to pay the $99 fee again)
3. You need to get to 110k points, so either try to get the other version of the SW card (plus if you already have the premier card and visa versa), spend an extra $6k on either card, fly 6k miles on SW, or transfer enough Marriott, Hyatt or Club Carlson points to get 6k points.

That's more or less what you have to do to get the Companion Pass. Here some more info: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/southwest-companion-pass-16-things-every-flyer-should-know/

If you want to take full advantage of the companion pass, you are probably going to need more SW points. Best way to get SW points is through Chase signup bonuses. I waited a few months and then signed up for the Chase Ink Business Card and got 50k points. Then I waited a few months and signed up for the Sapphire Preferred and got 40k points. You also can transfer Freedom points to SW if you have an Ink or Sapphire Preferred card. You can also have your spouse/significant other transfer chase points to you so you can transfer them to SW too.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

ETB already covered the Citi DoubleCash. I just wanted to chime in to let you know you can downgrade your Sapphire Preferred to regular to avoid the annual fee and leave it in your sock drawer if you are concerned about your credit score and utilization.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

obi_ant posted:

Hey Goons. I was looking at the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and I was interested in it. I wanted a little help in deciding if I should sign up for it.

If you are comfortable booking your flights a long ways out, you would probably be best off transferring the points to miles partners. But deciding where to transfer them depends on where you fly out of and where you want to go. SW is pretty good for Mexico and the Caribbean. BA miles are good for Boston to Ireland and ok for NY to Madrid. United is alright for most destinations. I think there are good asia options but I don't know specifics. There's some good info here http://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/redeeming-chase-ultimate-rewards-points-for-maximum-value/

I would at least try the card out. If you don't find yourself using it enough to justify the $95 you can always downgrade to the free version before the fee hits.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Hilton is offering to match Diamond status if you have IHG Diamond status, which comes with the Chase IHG credit card.

https://millionmilesecrets.com/2015/12/10/the-easy-way-to-hilton-diamond-status/

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I'm going to be going to Spain in the fall. Any suggestions for a credit card to get some free nights? I just signed up for the IHG chase card and am planning on doing some of the contest entries to get more points. I already got the SPG personal card a few years ago, maybe SPG business or the Citi Hilton card?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

antiga posted:

CSP has lots of travel benefits and it's obviously valuable if you use the chase freedom a lot. But unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem great for general use over the long term. I always assumed it was promoted on blogs mostly because of the generous referral, but maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

Almost none of the cards with good bonuses are worth using long term. I think most travel blogs promote CSP because lots of people have freedom cards, the points are really flexible, and it's pretty easy to get.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I haven't had any issues transferring points to my spouse's Southwest account via Chase. I don't think you would have any issues transferring to her Hyatt or Marriott accounts.

But as others mentioned the ratio is bad. Have you looked at some of the SW offers? I think those points count. You might be able to get 6k points by ordering flowers, doing their dining portal, getting a WSJ subscription and canceling, or getting a case of wine. Or you could just use the SW card for normal spend and wait a few months.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

People here with both a Chase personal and business account - did you guys merge accounts or keep it separate? I'm thinking of just keeping it separate for now.

I merged but then I canceled my business card and my login started getting deactivated a couple times a month until I got a rep that understood what was going on and created a new login for me.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Any suggestions on getting to AUS from the US with miles? I'm pretty tapped out on AA and Chase, but my wife could probably do either, tho that's only 50k miles. I have 58k Avios, so that helps a little I think.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Massasoit posted:

In the next few years I'll probably be doing a decent number of domestic flights. Mostly Georgia, Texas and New Mexico, maybe California. Is there a card/airline that would be good for those areas? I have 3 cash rewards cards right now (citi DoubleCash, Barclays Sallie Mae, Discover) bit I understand travel cards may yield higher rewards rates if used for travel.

It would be great to get some free flights, as the plane ticket cost is a major barrier to visiting family.

If you don't mind SouthWest they serve those areas pretty well and you can pretty easily get a companion pass by getting 2 of the SW Credit Cards chase offers.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Thufir posted:

CSR approved :toot:

same here

I wonder if I would spend so much if I wasn't trying to meet min spend all the time

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Boxman posted:

I have a straightforward question - Can I book on Southwest through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal (thus earning the 25/50% redemption bonus on the Sapphire Cards?)

Contextual explanation if someone wants to double check to see I'm making the correct calls: I currently use the Southwest premium card. Southwest points don't have fixed values, but hover between 1.2-1.7 cents depending on the flight. Even though I'm pretty much only getting 1 point per dollar, the redemption value makes it a solid reward. The $100 fee is blunted by the 6k annual point bonus, which goes a long way toward recouping the fee.

With the Sapphire cards having such a great reputation I'm considering jumping ship, but I'd like to make sure I'd get my value worth before discontinuing my Southwest card. Being able to get that bonus would go a long way toward that. Because the Sapphire cards carry significantly higher annual fees (due to the lack of an annual bonus for the Preferred card), I think I'd have to get that 25/50% bonus to make them worthwhile.

The other thing worth noting is that I'm in a city where Southwest absolutely dominates the airport. The extra flexibility from being able to use airlines that aren't Southwest is functionally irrelevant to me, since I'm all but guaranteed to use Southwest anyway.

You can't use the chase portal, but you can transfer points if you have the CSR or CSP (or Ink) to Southwest, which is likely a better value anyway.

Sapphire is only really a good daily use card if you use the extra benefits, but the signup bonus is good enough that you don't have to worry about figuring that out for another year or so.

Have you looked into trying to get the SW Companion pass?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

I still don't get why everyone loves Schwab so much. Is it just the free checking/atms?

Free checking/ATMs, good customer service, pretty good EFTs/Target Date funds for retirement funds as well

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

If you can pay it off in a year just get a 0% APR card. Though I don't know if dealers there will let you use a credit card.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Just go out to the bars a lot and take uber or lyft. That's what I did.

Also Sunbelt rentals counts as travel, in case you are doing home improvement and need to rent something.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Transferring to SW and then getting the companion pass is amazing value for your money, especially now that SW flights to the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico.

I also transferred to BA a while ago but I'm still trying to figure out how to use those miles.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Elysium posted:

So if you just transfer 110,000 points to Southwest you automatically get the companion pass?

Old post, but this seems to say it only counts for Southwest Rewards CCs, not just any chase: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/southwest-companion-pass-16-things-every-flyer-should-know/

Yeah you have to get the SW CCs, and right now the bonus isn't as good so it's harder to do. But the 50k promotion will be back sooner or later, so if you don't have to transfer your chase points now I might wait.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Discover is usually the easiest secured card to get.

You can call the recon line at Capital One and they will likely give you a second shot. They probably auto-denied you on a web application based on your score.

If you call the recon line and talk to them, there is a good chance they will give you a secured card with a very small limit.

If that doesn't work you should see if your bank offers a secured card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I'm 6 months from being at exactly 5/24 and 10 months from being at 2/24. So I think I'm going to try to hold off on any new cards so I can get a chase card or two.

I've already upgraded my Amex Blue Cash to the preferred to get a $250 credit. Anyone know if I can get similar upgrade deals out of Amex, Barclays or BoA? Or do I just have to call?