Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Anand Win a Game?
This poll is closed.
Yes 11 22.45%
No 4 8.16%
Hell No 1 2.04%
Hahaha No 11 22.45%
Putin has managed to become a threat to both Russia and World Peace because Obama is not a strong leader like Ronald Reagan 22 44.90%
Total: 49 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Khorne posted:

This game is the coolest one so far.

Well, anand just threw it away but it was cool before then. Closed positions are brutal.

It was this really cool technical game and then Anand just blew up. Very disappointing.

e: This match is decided by two very bad blunders. Very much "what could have been."

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh well, only 2 years to the next match.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

PGN of the deciding game. Anand self-destructing is really tragic because I thought he played and absolutely fantastic game up to that point. This was ultimately a very good match on the whole, the best since Anand-Kramnik. Despite defending, Magnus looked very mortal in it and could have easily lost both games 6 and 11. Now he has two years before his next defence where he will play... Caruana? Aronian? Grischuk?

White: Carlsen
Black: Anand
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.O-O Nxe4 5.d4 Nd6 6.Bxc6 dxc6 7.dxe5 Nf5 8.Qxd8+ Kxd8 9.h3 Bd7 10.Nc3 h6 11.b3 Kc8 12.Bb2 c5 13.Rad1 b6 14.Rfe1 Be6 15.Nd5 g5 16.c4 Kb7 17.Kh2 a5 18.a4 Ne7 19.g4 Ng6 20.Kg3 Be7 21.Nd2 Rhd8 22.Ne4 Bf8 23.Nef6 b5 24.Bc3 bxa4 25.bxa4 Kc6 26.Kf3 Rdb8 27.Ke4 Rb4 28.Bxb4 cxb4 29.Nh5 Kb7 30.f4 gxf4 31.Nhxf4 Nxf4 32.Nxf4 Bxc4 33.Rd7 Ra6 34.Nd5 Rc6 35.Rxf7 Bc5 36.Rxc7+ Rxc7 37.Nxc7 Kc6 38.Nb5 Bxb5 39.axb5+ Kxb5 40.e6 b3 41.Kd3 Be7 42.h4 a4 43.g5 hxg5 44.hxg5 a3 45.Kc3 1-0

And now, to tide us over for the time being, we have a match between Aronian and Nakamura. The London Classic starts up in a week and a half, with the headliner event featuring Caruana, Anand, Giri, Nakamura, Kramnik, and Adams. All six will also play in the giant single-section rapidplay which is looking pretty drat sexy.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Giri is doing a Caruana at the Qatar masters. 6 from 6. Up against Kramnik next.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

Giri is doing a Caruana at the Qatar masters. 6 from 6. Up against Kramnik next.

He's thrashing people, too. He won rounds 4 and 5 (against Oleksienko and Mamedyarov) in a combined 39 moves.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

V for Vegas posted:

and doesn't win another game. Is beaten by Kramnik who wins 6 from 6 who is beaten by... Yu Yangyi... who wins the tournament.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Vishy wins the London Classic. Life in the old dog yet.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
Tata Steel starts on the 10th.

Masters section:

Carlsen
Caruana
Aronian
Giri
So
Vachier-Lagrave
Wojtaszek
Radjabov
Ding
Jobava
Ivanchuk
Hou
Van Wely
Saric

Newest US GM Samuel Sevian is playing in the challengers section.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Looks like a quick draw in Giri-Magnus, but some interesting opening play from black. Also, a Modern in this game and a Pirc in another.

e: The computer found a wonderful shot in Saric-Aronian

24. c6!! Rxd1 25.Rxd1 Rxd1 26.cxb7 Rd8 27.Bxb5 +-

That's the proof of the line. Black is merely worse after 24...bxc6.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 10, 2015

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Edit: Nevermind, my proposed move loses a Rook. Ha.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 10, 2015

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Round 3 and it took 15 moves for Jobava to be lost against Liren. Meanwhile, Wojtaszek, who was one of Anand's seconds, has an advantage against Carlsen in the opening. Caruana, with the black pieces, just sacrificed an exchange against Giri.

Looks like a good round so far.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

And down goes Carlsen. And So takes down Aronian.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Radek Wojtaszek, who was Anand's second during the last match against Carlsen, has now beaten both the world's #1 and #2 players. Beat Caruana today with the white pieces in a Dutch that I wouldn't be surprised ended up being the last time Caruana played the Dutch in a major tournament for a while.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For the first time since 1989 Judit Polgar is no longer the highest ranking women's chess player

edit:

hahaha, Kramnik has no fucks left to give (is also goddamn tall)

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 28, 2015

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Vlad did not look like he was having fun that weekend. He held a newspaper up to his face when walking around so nobody would bother him, and when he stalked into the middle of the elevator everyone else just kinda pressed themselves to the sides. The elevator was mostly full but there still managed to be a sort of halo around him.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd love to go to Armenia to hang out with Levon, he'd be a blast I reckon.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A friend who has nearly the same rating as me (had going in, that is) is one game from an IM norm in Gibraltar :ohdear:

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Time to raise this thread from the dead to talk about how Wesley So was just forced to forfeit a game at the US Championship for taking notes (other than recording the moves) during play. He had apparently been warned twice before during the tournament, with the arbiter telling So after the second time that he would be forfeited if he did it again. And, well, he did it again. Apparently, So has a habit of writing himself words of encouragement during his games.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sounds like there's some stuff going on behind the scenes during the championship that might've distracted So. Also I love that my local newspaper is covering chess.

quote:

Lotis Key and her husband, Renato Kabigting, took So, a 21-year-old Filipino, into their home last October after So decided to drop out of Webster University in suburban St. Louis, where he had a chess scholarship. He had just won the $100,000 first prize at the inaugural Millionaire Chess Open, and he wanted to pursue a chess career full time.

The decision to drop out did not sit well with So’s mother, with whom he’s had a difficult relationship since at least his midteens, when his parents and siblings moved from the Philippines to Canada. So stayed behind.

According to Key, So’s mother and aunt came to St. Louis and contacted So minutes after his arrival at a hotel. Key said they began, in strident encounters over the course of several days, to insist that he return to college or face losing complete contact with his family, including his sisters. At one point, So’s mother and aunt confronted him outside the chess club after his game, trying to grab his arm and yelling at him when he wouldn’t go with them to talk, according to Key and So. That led to an apology by So to the club for the scene, and a request that the mother and aunt be banned from the tournament site.

So’s mother, Eleanor So, could not be reached for comment.

Key said So’s mother admitted to her that So’s former chess coach at Webster had a hand in her trip to St. Louis to confront her son, including reserving a hotel room for her.

Key and So said the former coach, Paul Truong, was angry over losing one of the world’s top players from his team when So left Webster. “Wesley fell apart after that, knowing that his own biological family was working with his worst enemy,” Key said. “Paul will never forgive Wesley for leaving Webster.”

Key said that “three adults conspired to destroy a kid.”

http://www.startribune.com/local/299426421.html

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Chess grandmaster accused of using iPhone to cheat during international tournament

Nigalidze on the left - I would have been suspicious he was doing something else in the bathroom.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Um that's clearly an iPod Touch. So he should be found not guilty due to that technicality.

Seriously though with wearable devices becoming more popular this is only going to become even more of an issue. Soon they'll need to hold tournaments in faraday cages and players will have to pass through one of those TSA machines before entering the playing hall. They'll need to provide porta potties with transparent glass walls that the players must use to go to the bathroom.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

gret posted:

Sounds like there's some stuff going on behind the scenes during the championship that might've distracted So. Also I love that my local newspaper is covering chess.

http://www.startribune.com/local/299426421.html

The So stuff sounds phenomenally weird. Here's his mother and here's his facebook post. His parents are Toronto-based (at least last I knew) so I'm trying to see if anyone I know know's anything.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Just a sad situation. No wonder Paul Truong is in the center of it though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I also just checked the live rating list and

what?

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Chess update: Garry Kasparov is still much better than Nigel Short. They just finished up a 10-game exhibition in St. Louis this weekend (two rapid games, eight blitz). Kasparov was already up 3.5-1.5 after Day 1, but won 5-0 on Day 2...just because he could. :colbert:

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Fabiano Caruana is switching his federation back to the good old USA, giving us a top three boards for the next Olympiad of (in some order) Caruana, Nakamura, and So. Suddenly, with Robson and Shankland quickly improving, Gata Kamsky is going to struggle to even make the team. I think we might just have a shot at a medal in 2016!

In all seriousness, this one isn't nearly as much an issue of "poaching" a player as that New York Times article a few weeks back made it out to be. Fabiano was born and spent most of his childhood in the United States - I even saw him at a scholastic tournament he worked at back in 2004 (at that point, we all knew he'd be good, but unlike a Nakamura/Carlsen, I don't think anyone was predicting he'd be this good). It's kind of natural for him to play for America, though I understand why he's grateful to the Italian federation as well.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I think it's been widely reported that Kamsky retired from international team competition when he turned 40. I think with Robson and Shakland, not to mention Sevian, and don't forget Lenderman's great performance at the World Team this year, the U.S. won't have a problem finding a great 4th board and alternate to complement the big 3.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Great position from an analysis line in Jakovenko-Gelfand.

White leaves his bishop hanging to both of black's knights, but neither can capture without leaving a queening square undefended. Black is near-totally frozen so white has all the time in the world to march his king to a5. If black tries to reposition the one knight via e8 he loses to 1...Ne8 2.Bc6 Kf7 3.Bxe8+ Kxe8 4.f6 and now white will walk the king to capture on g5 before queening the h-pawn.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

What a crazy ending to that game. Jakovenko walked into a stalemate.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

gret posted:

What a crazy ending to that game. Jakovenko walked into a stalemate.

Both of the last two games went from wins to draws in fairly spectacular fashion as Caruana turned an evenish bishop endgame into a winning Q+P v Q endgame, then hung a perpetual.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

And Caruana and Nakamura both qualify for the candidates tournament. If So makes it that would be 3 Americans. When was the last time that 3 Americans made the candidates (never mind that it's a tournament now instead of proper candidates matches)?

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

gret posted:

And Caruana and Nakamura both qualify for the candidates tournament. If So makes it that would be 3 Americans. When was the last time that 3 Americans made the candidates (never mind that it's a tournament now instead of proper candidates matches)?

Well, it was a tournament for a long time before it became matches, too - it's a pretty even split historically at this point, I think.

In any case, the last time was never. We've had two a couple times: Fischer and Benko in 1959 and 1962, you could argue Robert Byrne and Fischer (since he was champion, that's at least as good as being in the Candidates) in 1974.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

http://2015.norwaychess.com/

Norway Chess 2015 opened today with a blitz event. Magnus finished 3rd, he thinks he played a bit like Quackamura.

https://twitter.com/MagnusCarlsen/status/610531981458296832

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
And he follows up by losing on time in a match he was winning. Apparently no-one on his team knew the tournament had weird rules and he arrived slightly late and missed the arbiter repeating them.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Zwachro posted:

And he follows up by losing on time in a match he was winning. Apparently no-one on his team knew the tournament had weird rules and he arrived slightly late and missed the arbiter repeating them.

ahaha wow. The swindle of a lifetime for Topalov, I guess. This might be the first time the sitting champion lost a classical match on time.

e: video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2clwhqlmYk

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 17, 2015

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Magnus lost again yesterday, giving himself sole possession of last place. His game against Giri today looks really exciting so far. The computer is fond of Carlsen's position, but if playing I would be really happy with either side.

Anand-Grischuk is also the rarely seen elite-level Sveshnikov game.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Topalov is about to be clear first at 3.5/4. Carlsen is dead last at 0.5/4. I don't know what the gently caress.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
Carlsen lost to Jon Ludvig Hammer.

The last time that happened was in 2000, when Carlsen was 9.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All hail our new champion - Quackamura!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

For the first time since he passed it, Magnus is back under Kasparov's 2856. Meanwhile, Anand is back to #2 in the world, his 2816.1 inching past Topalov's 2816.0. Nakamura is close behind at 2814. I'm going to assume this is the first time we've had four players above 2810.

• Locked thread