Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Anand Win a Game?
This poll is closed.
Yes 11 22.45%
No 4 8.16%
Hell No 1 2.04%
Hahaha No 11 22.45%
Putin has managed to become a threat to both Russia and World Peace because Obama is not a strong leader like Ronald Reagan 22 44.90%
Total: 49 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Josh Lyman posted:

Do we... want that? Are people pushing for a round robin style tournament to decide the world champion?

I love the championship match format but there's quite a bit of pressure to do away with it and have a tennis-style Grand Slam. The Grand Chess Tour is a first step try to replicate this, although I don't know how much momentum it will have with Carlsen announcing he won't play St Louis this year.

e: Thinking about things, I think that using a Grand Prix style tournament would be really bad for (a) up and coming players and/or peripheral top-10 players to get shots at the title and (b) Chinese players who would have even fewer paths to the top than they currently have. The advantage of a candidates tournament (followed by a title match) is that you can have multiple ways to qualify, which can provide both security for top-5 players and ways in for peripheral players.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

I love the championship match format but there's quite a bit of pressure to do away with it and have a tennis-style Grand Slam. The Grand Chess Tour is a first step try to replicate this, although I don't know how much momentum it will have with Carlsen announcing he won't play St Louis this year.

e: Thinking about things, I think that using a Grand Prix style tournament would be really bad for (a) up and coming players and/or peripheral top-10 players to get shots at the title and (b) Chinese players who would have even fewer paths to the top than they currently have. The advantage of a candidates tournament (followed by a title match) is that you can have multiple ways to qualify, which can provide both security for top-5 players and ways in for peripheral players.
Moving to a grand slam format means no more world champion. And the 4 major tournaments would have to have different formats otherwise what's the point?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Moving to a grand slam format means no more world champion. And the 4 major tournaments would have to have different formats otherwise what's the point?

The 2015 Grand Chess Tour had a points system, and crowned an eventual grand winner (Magnus Carlsen on tiebreaks). This year they're moving to have two classical events (St Louis and London) and two blitz/rapid events (Paris and Brussels). It seems like a neat enough idea, even if it feels a little superfluous with the GP still existing. And it does not at all replace the world title in my mind.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

They could do something like the soccer world cup - 8 players round robin then top 4 are seeded for a knockout stage or something like that.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Anand was the only winner today, beating Topalov in a game that seemed to be pretty easy for him.

Not sure I'd agree with "easy" - 20 moves in Topalov had a choice between winning his queen and launching a really vicious-looking attack. The impression I got is that it wasn't a well played game by super-GM standards.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

King Pawn posted:

Not sure I'd agree with "easy" - 20 moves in Topalov had a choice between winning his queen and launching a really vicious-looking attack. The impression I got is that it wasn't a well played game by super-GM standards.

I'm a stupid Anand fan who has probably too much faith in his opening understanding to say "this attack probably isn't much."

Today I managed to tune in early enough to get Kramnik's commentary and he's really good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Caruana and Nakamura's games are still going!!! http://worldchess.com/broadcasts/europe/2016/03/10/fide-candidates-tournament/round-2/

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Karjakin-Nakamura shouldn't be going for much longer! Naka blundered a piece.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Karjakin-Nakamura shouldn't be going for much longer! Naka blundered a piece.
Seems like the commentators they have are pretty decent, so maybe less of a deal that they're blocking external feeds?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anish Giri married Sopiko whaaaaat

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I turned on the feed like half an hour in and somehow Svidler was already lost. Seems like he just blundered with Qc7.

e: ahaha Nakamura gave the advantage back. What a mess.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 13, 2016

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Looks like Aronian is about to win with black, sending himself to +1 and Topalov to -2. Nakamura-Svidler looks like it has a lot of play left as Svidler tries to convert R+N+PPP v R+N+PP.

I'm very curious to see what Svidler plays, because it seems like a very instructional position. I don't actually know what Svidler's plan should be here, since a lot of elementary simplifications can leave the game drawn.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

So today's games were mostly pretty incredible.

Anand 1-0 Svidler. 24 moves. Complete annihilation. Anand actually outplayed the various sites inbuilt engines, who were clearing Svidler's moves when he was already cooked.

Caruana 1/2-1/2 Karjakin. Karjakin saves the game after having to give his queen for play.

Aronian 1-0 Nakamura. Nakamura blows up spectacularly when he accidentally touch his queen, and got touch-move called on him. Aronian insists he was winning anyway, but still.

So going into the second rest day, Karjakin and Aronian are tied at +2, and Anand is just behind at +1. Nakamura and Topalov are bringing up the rear at -2.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 24, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sounds like a dick move by Levon. Aren't accidental touches generally considered exempt from touch move rule?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Josh Lyman posted:

Sounds like a dick move by Levon. Aren't accidental touches generally considered exempt from touch move rule?

Not very accidental: https://twitter.com/JohanSalomon/status/710536197018427394

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Josh Lyman posted:

If it was accidental brushing of the piece or hitting it on the way to grab another piece, then that's not supposed to trigger the touch-move rule. If you grab the piece like Nakamura did, you're out of luck.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I love how Nakamura is acting surprised, like "What? Touchmove?"

And Aronian just leans back and goes, "Well, what do you want me to do? You grabbed it. You clearly grabbed it."

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Kosteniuk's reactions have been pretty good. A good counterpart to Mischinenko, who seems incapable of raising his voice.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The games today were amazing. Every single one of them.

Topalov 1/2-1/2 Caruana — Topalov prepared a pretty wild exchange sacrifice which led to an intimidating position out of the opening. However, Caruana parried it well and outplayed Topalov leading to what should have been an elementary win. Topalov saved the game when he found another exchange sacrifice that would've forced Caruana to give a rook for a pawn, and might have still been winning after that. See if you can find an annotated version of this game because there are two incredible analysis lines.

Giri 1/2-1/2 Nakamura — Giri plays a tremendous game then blunders a win into a draw by missing 51... Rg5!!. The game ended while another press conference was going on so Nepo and Miroschinenko didn't see how it finished, and one of them mocked Giri for drawing again. Giri responded that he could say something mean but would not because it would be on the internet and be forever. He was visibly irritated the entire press conference.

Aronian 0-1 Svidler — Lev :( He plays a great opening, gets a winning advantage, and then basically slips on a banana peel. This loss drops him to even and effectively takes him out of the running. Poor Lev.

Anand 1-0 Karjakin — Strategical masterpiece from Anand. Plays a strange looking move on move 12 to give himself control of the d-file, and then rides that control for 58 moves to slowly, sloooowly create a favourable material material reduction, create a passed pawn, and then just enough pressure to take it home. His form this tournament has been amazing, and I can't believe that he's in position to win Candidates yet again.

Three rounds to go. Anand and Caruana at +2, and Karjakin is at +1. Everyone else is at even or worse, which probably takes them out of it at this point. Caruana holds first tie-break (head-to-head score) over Anand. Anand holds the second tiebreak (total wins). Karjakin still has white against Caruana (and Topalov), so amongst the top 3 we're still pretty firmly in "anything can happen" territory.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

Three rounds to go. Anand and Caruana at +2, and Karjakin is at +1. Everyone else is at even or worse, which probably takes them out of it at this point. Caruana holds first tie-break (head-to-head score) over Anand. Anand holds the second tiebreak (total wins). Karjakin still has white against Caruana (and Topalov), so amongst the top 3 we're still pretty firmly in "anything can happen" territory.

A Karjakin win and an Anand loss have continued to keep this a three-man race. Anand is a half-point back of Caruana and Karjakin, so he'll probably have to win out...but if that happens, he could potentialy leap ahead of the other two if they draw in the final round. The Karjakin-Caruana game could also still essentialy prove to be a one-game playoff for the chance to play for the title.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Well, with one round left we're past anything can happen territory. Only two games matter tomorrow.

Karjakin (7.5) - Caruana (7.5)
Svidler (6.5) - Anand (7)

Here are the following possible finishes:

Karjakin wins: Karjakin finishes clear first.
Caruana wins: Caruana finishes clear first.
Karjakin and Caruana draw: Each player finishes with 8 points. Karjakin has 3 wins to Caruana's 2. Karjakin wins on second tiebreaker.
Karjakin and Caruana draw and Anand beats Svidler: All three players have 8 points. Caruana is +1 against the other two. Karjakin is even against the other two. Anand is -1 against the other two. Caruana wins on first tiebreaker.

So, uh, strap in.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Well, with one round left we're past anything can happen territory. Only two games matter tomorrow.

Karjakin (7.5) - Caruana (7.5)
Svidler (6.5) - Anand (7)

Here are the following possible finishes:

Karjakin wins: Karjakin finishes clear first.
Caruana wins: Caruana finishes clear first.
Karjakin and Caruana draw: Each player finishes with 8 points. Karjakin has 3 wins to Caruana's 2. Karjakin wins on second tiebreaker.
Karjakin and Caruana draw and Anand beats Svidler: All three players have 8 points. Caruana is +1 against the other two. Karjakin is even against the other two. Anand is -1 against the other two. Caruana wins on first tiebreaker.

So, uh, strap in.
So you're saying there's no way Vishy can face Magnus?

Thank loving god.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

So you're saying there's no way Vishy can face Magnus?

Thank loving god.

Double disqualification on the top board :unsmigghh:

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping for a CarCar championship match, but CarKar is okay too I guess.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

Pro post, thread title should be renamed to this

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

Not quite as exciting as AroCar.

Also Karjakin-Caruana is a classical Sicilian that looks pretty good for Karjakin so far:

Both sides have significant weaknesses, but this position is obviously much more difficult for black to play in the short term. White's goal is basically to get his bishop good without reducing to an endgame.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Svidler and Anand have drawn, which makes things a fair bit easier for Karjakin now. Although the position is very uneven and he has to defend some.

e: Although Caruana has under 3 minutes for 11 moves. Yikes.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 28, 2016

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

And that's the ballgame. Caruana had to press in severe time pressure, made a mistake, and got mated. Karjakin finishes at +3, and clear first.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
US championship started today, featuring three players in the world top 10 (all of whom duly squashed their opponents).

I enjoyed both the games and the commentary. Figured people might appreciate a heads up.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but Kasparov is going to play the top three finishers from the 2016 US championship in a blitz tourney. TC is Five minutes, with a three-second delay:

https://www.chess.com/news/kasparov-to-face-caruana-nakamura-so-in-ultimate-blitz-challenge-8044

How will he fare against these young studs, assuming Putin doesn't have him assassinated first?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

MrMojok posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but Kasparov is going to play the top three finishers from the 2016 US championship in a blitz tourney. TC is Five minutes, with a three-second delay:

https://www.chess.com/news/kasparov-to-face-caruana-nakamura-so-in-ultimate-blitz-challenge-8044

How will he fare against these young studs, assuming Putin doesn't have him assassinated first?

The whole "top 3 players get to play Kasparov at blitz" has struck me as a pretty strange prize. It's the sort of thing that would be a prize at a junior tournament, not a national programme that hires Kasparov as a sometimes coach. Hell, Nakamura even had Kasparov as a personal coach for a while.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
If you see this like, right now, and want to watch Yasser, Fabiano, and some other people drink, play online chess and order pizza: https://www.twitch.tv/chessbrah

Edit: Also Alejandro Ramirez, Ben Finegold, Tatev, Nazi, etc., etc...

Edit: Also Greg Shahade is telling amazing Nakamura stories in chat

Edit: Now they are playing bughouse

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 28, 2016

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Kasparov just demolished So in the first game, and Naka swindled Caruana.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

gret posted:

Kasparov just demolished So in the first game, and Naka swindled Caruana.

This has been a lot of fun so far. Five rounds in, it's Caruana and Kasparov in the lead (3/5) followed by So (2.5) and...ooph, Naka on just 1.5.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I take back everything bad I said. Kasparov spanking the US top 3 is hilarious.

e: Oh wow, Aronian beat Carlsen today in Norway.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 28, 2016

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

I really wish that these games were blitz rated so I could see Garry back on a FIDE rating list

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hand Knit posted:

e: Oh wow, Aronian beat Carlsen today in Norway.

Hey, Aronian is no slouch!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

OrangeKing posted:

I really wish that these games were blitz rated so I could see Garry back on a FIDE rating list

gently caress he'd be at like 2900 right now.

totalnewbie posted:

Hey, Aronian is no slouch!

Yeah but he psychs himself out and it feels like he hasn't beaten Carlsen in almost a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

RIP Kasparov, played a perfect game then hung a knight.

• Locked thread