Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Anand Win a Game?
This poll is closed.
Yes 11 22.45%
No 4 8.16%
Hell No 1 2.04%
Hahaha No 11 22.45%
Putin has managed to become a threat to both Russia and World Peace because Obama is not a strong leader like Ronald Reagan 22 44.90%
Total: 49 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Didn't know another of these was happening, though I don't have high hopes for the rematch. Is there a website doing streaming commentary for the matches? The Chess24 stream is a bit uninspired.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

drat, why can't we get coverage like this in English?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wish there was a VOD of round 7's live coverage so I could experience the marathon as it happened.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Good god I am terrible at the internet. Thanks.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All I know about what's happening is that Svidler was a pretty good co-host for Sochi 2014.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are there any tournaments where they invite the top ranked players, like 1-14?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why is the Candidates website such a piece of poo poo? I can't find any information about schedules or anything.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Anand was the only winner today, beating Topalov in a game that seemed to be pretty easy for him. It would be pretty funny if he won candidates again. And, I mean, he can't be any more of a longshot than last time, can he?
Please don't joke about that. Nobody wants to see Carlsen-Anand 3.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Anand winning candidates might spur FIDE to end the championship match format.
Do we... want that? Are people pushing for a round robin style tournament to decide the world champion?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

I love the championship match format but there's quite a bit of pressure to do away with it and have a tennis-style Grand Slam. The Grand Chess Tour is a first step try to replicate this, although I don't know how much momentum it will have with Carlsen announcing he won't play St Louis this year.

e: Thinking about things, I think that using a Grand Prix style tournament would be really bad for (a) up and coming players and/or peripheral top-10 players to get shots at the title and (b) Chinese players who would have even fewer paths to the top than they currently have. The advantage of a candidates tournament (followed by a title match) is that you can have multiple ways to qualify, which can provide both security for top-5 players and ways in for peripheral players.
Moving to a grand slam format means no more world champion. And the 4 major tournaments would have to have different formats otherwise what's the point?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

They could do something like the soccer world cup - 8 players round robin then top 4 are seeded for a knockout stage or something like that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Caruana and Nakamura's games are still going!!! http://worldchess.com/broadcasts/europe/2016/03/10/fide-candidates-tournament/round-2/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Karjakin-Nakamura shouldn't be going for much longer! Naka blundered a piece.
Seems like the commentators they have are pretty decent, so maybe less of a deal that they're blocking external feeds?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anish Giri married Sopiko whaaaaat

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sounds like a dick move by Levon. Aren't accidental touches generally considered exempt from touch move rule?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Well, with one round left we're past anything can happen territory. Only two games matter tomorrow.

Karjakin (7.5) - Caruana (7.5)
Svidler (6.5) - Anand (7)

Here are the following possible finishes:

Karjakin wins: Karjakin finishes clear first.
Caruana wins: Caruana finishes clear first.
Karjakin and Caruana draw: Each player finishes with 8 points. Karjakin has 3 wins to Caruana's 2. Karjakin wins on second tiebreaker.
Karjakin and Caruana draw and Anand beats Svidler: All three players have 8 points. Caruana is +1 against the other two. Karjakin is even against the other two. Anand is -1 against the other two. Caruana wins on first tiebreaker.

So, uh, strap in.
So you're saying there's no way Vishy can face Magnus?

Thank loving god.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

I'm hoping for a CarCar championship match, but CarKar is okay too I guess.
Pro post, thread title should be renamed to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

To be fair, is there anyone who really has a chance to beat Magnus in Bo12?

• Locked thread