Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Anand Win a Game?
This poll is closed.
Yes 11 22.45%
No 4 8.16%
Hell No 1 2.04%
Hahaha No 11 22.45%
Putin has managed to become a threat to both Russia and World Peace because Obama is not a strong leader like Ronald Reagan 22 44.90%
Total: 49 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Our fifth poll option brought to you by Garry Kasparov and Mig Greengard!

I'm really not sure what to predict for this match, other than a rather decisive win for Carlsen. It wouldn't shock me if Anand manages a win this time around...but I still picked no in the poll. I think my money would be on a 6.5-3.5 win for Carlsen once again as well. I mean, it's important to remember that while all of the doubts about Carlsen's recent form are legitimate, it's also true that he's still the top-rated player in the world by a fair margin and hasn't had a truly "bad" tournament pretty much since he was a teenager. There's a reason he's the big betting favorite here.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

gret posted:

"Playing a bit like Quack-amura" LOL.

Finally, Hikaru's legacy is secured!

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Xtanstic posted:

What's the schedule for the games? Is it a game every day as of Saturday? I know nothing about competitive chess but I watched last year's championship on a commented twitch stream and it was interesting as hell.

They'll play two days in a row, then have a rest day, then two more days -- rinse and repeat (until the very end: there's an added rest day in between Games 11 + 12 if it gets that far). Games start around 3 pm Sochi time, or 7 am Eastern Standard Time.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Geez, you sleep in for a few hours and the game is already over. Even ignoring the results, these were two very Carlsen-esque games, and I imagine he's very pleased.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Josh Lyman posted:

drat, why can't we get coverage like this in English?

With so many sports television competitors on TV in the US now (ESPN/NBC Sports/Fox Sports/CBS Sports), I bet someone would whip up a round table discussion like that should Quackamura get into a championship match!

I missed most of the game, again, because I had to stay up to cover the WSOP final table and that didn't end until about an hour after this game started (so I saw the opening, and that's about it). But that was enough time for me to have a lovely Twitter dialog with Nigel Short:

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Time to raise this thread from the dead to talk about how Wesley So was just forced to forfeit a game at the US Championship for taking notes (other than recording the moves) during play. He had apparently been warned twice before during the tournament, with the arbiter telling So after the second time that he would be forfeited if he did it again. And, well, he did it again. Apparently, So has a habit of writing himself words of encouragement during his games.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Chess update: Garry Kasparov is still much better than Nigel Short. They just finished up a 10-game exhibition in St. Louis this weekend (two rapid games, eight blitz). Kasparov was already up 3.5-1.5 after Day 1, but won 5-0 on Day 2...just because he could. :colbert:

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Fabiano Caruana is switching his federation back to the good old USA, giving us a top three boards for the next Olympiad of (in some order) Caruana, Nakamura, and So. Suddenly, with Robson and Shankland quickly improving, Gata Kamsky is going to struggle to even make the team. I think we might just have a shot at a medal in 2016!

In all seriousness, this one isn't nearly as much an issue of "poaching" a player as that New York Times article a few weeks back made it out to be. Fabiano was born and spent most of his childhood in the United States - I even saw him at a scholastic tournament he worked at back in 2004 (at that point, we all knew he'd be good, but unlike a Nakamura/Carlsen, I don't think anyone was predicting he'd be this good). It's kind of natural for him to play for America, though I understand why he's grateful to the Italian federation as well.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

gret posted:

And Caruana and Nakamura both qualify for the candidates tournament. If So makes it that would be 3 Americans. When was the last time that 3 Americans made the candidates (never mind that it's a tournament now instead of proper candidates matches)?

Well, it was a tournament for a long time before it became matches, too - it's a pretty even split historically at this point, I think.

In any case, the last time was never. We've had two a couple times: Fischer and Benko in 1959 and 1962, you could argue Robert Byrne and Fischer (since he was champion, that's at least as good as being in the Candidates) in 1974.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
If you want some chess to watch this afternoon, there's a lot of post-championship silliness happening in St. Louis now as part of the "Ultimate Moves" day. You get to hear grandmasters accuse each other of ruining positions in team games, and then Magnus say "no, that's bullshit!"

http://www.twitch.tv/saintlouischessclub

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

gret posted:

LOL Naka plays Randy Sinquefield with rook odds, and Randy hangs his extra rook on move 2.

Naka then benefits again in the next blitz game against Carlsen: the rules require Randy and Rex to take over for their GM teammates for 5 moves at move 21, and Randy again blunders a rook.

Edit: This is all very silly and fun. I might have to try to get out to the Sinquefield Cup for at least the final few days next year.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

V for Vegas posted:

haha, another one. Jesus, what's the top prize for a tournament like this - a thousand euro? As if you're not going to get caught beating GMs.

It's one of those things that makes you wonder "why don't people cheat more subtly?" and then sadly note that while people don't talk about it much, there must be some who are cheating without making it so blindingly obvious.

Hand Knit posted:

Anyone doing the London Classic this year? I'm definitely going, but haven't decided on which events just yet.

By the way, if you're a UK resident and under 25 then all the tournaments are free, which is an absolutely insane deal.

fe: link

That's an amazing deal. I'd love to go, but I can't make it happen this year.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Svidler-Karjakin it is! Interesting set of players lining up for the Candidates, for sure. Looks like Topalov and Giri are the favorites to get the rating-based spots, though that could change if there were dramatic shifts in the last three months of the year (Giri is more vulnerable, but even he is well ahead of Kramnik/Grischuk/Aronian in the monthly averages for 2015 right now). It will be really interesting to see who the wild card selection might be, seeing as how Kramnik and Aronian would be very attractive alternatives to a local favorite. Unless they are the local favorite - I still haven't read anything about a site for the Candidates yet.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

Random stuff just mentioned on air:

(1) The next title match will be in the US
(2) The candidates will be in either the US or Baku
(3) If Baku, the organizers nominees will be Mamedyarov and Radjabov
(4) The Women's title match will be in Monaco

Also, while the computer eval is still ugly, Svidler's position is looking more and more savable.

If the title match really does come to the US, and it's at a time I can travel, and I can afford it, and...

Well, basically, I'll go if I can.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

It would have to be in St Louis, right? Like, if it's not Sinquefield/Polgar putting up the money then who?

I would assume that it will be in St. Louis, yeah. You never know about a surprise bid coming in from somewhere, but...no, it's gotta be St. Louis, and it's almost certainly Sinquefield putting up the money.

And yeah, that World Cup final was amazing. Sorry if you missed it, because it was thrilling!

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
If only there were a way to have a variety of events, some of which are at shorter time controls than others!

I get where Shahade came from in his piece, but I think he seriously underestimates how much some people enjoy and care about long chess games. I enjoy everything from 1 0 to correspondence chess for different reasons, and I can't possibly be alone.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

The location for the next World Title match has been announced... and it's NYC.

https://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/9471-the-world-chess-championship-comes-to-new-york-city-.html

Official site here

Looking forward to this! Easy commute into the city for me, and hopefully I can get credentialed for bonus access.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Josh Lyman posted:

Sounds like a dick move by Levon. Aren't accidental touches generally considered exempt from touch move rule?

If it was accidental brushing of the piece or hitting it on the way to grab another piece, then that's not supposed to trigger the touch-move rule. If you grab the piece like Nakamura did, you're out of luck.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

Three rounds to go. Anand and Caruana at +2, and Karjakin is at +1. Everyone else is at even or worse, which probably takes them out of it at this point. Caruana holds first tie-break (head-to-head score) over Anand. Anand holds the second tiebreak (total wins). Karjakin still has white against Caruana (and Topalov), so amongst the top 3 we're still pretty firmly in "anything can happen" territory.

A Karjakin win and an Anand loss have continued to keep this a three-man race. Anand is a half-point back of Caruana and Karjakin, so he'll probably have to win out...but if that happens, he could potentialy leap ahead of the other two if they draw in the final round. The Karjakin-Caruana game could also still essentialy prove to be a one-game playoff for the chance to play for the title.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
If you see this like, right now, and want to watch Yasser, Fabiano, and some other people drink, play online chess and order pizza: https://www.twitch.tv/chessbrah

Edit: Also Alejandro Ramirez, Ben Finegold, Tatev, Nazi, etc., etc...

Edit: Also Greg Shahade is telling amazing Nakamura stories in chat

Edit: Now they are playing bughouse

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 28, 2016

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

gret posted:

Kasparov just demolished So in the first game, and Naka swindled Caruana.

This has been a lot of fun so far. Five rounds in, it's Caruana and Kasparov in the lead (3/5) followed by So (2.5) and...ooph, Naka on just 1.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

I take back everything bad I said. Kasparov spanking the US top 3 is hilarious.

I really wish that these games were blitz rated so I could see Garry back on a FIDE rating list

• Locked thread