Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Anand Win a Game?
This poll is closed.
Yes 11 22.45%
No 4 8.16%
Hell No 1 2.04%
Hahaha No 11 22.45%
Putin has managed to become a threat to both Russia and World Peace because Obama is not a strong leader like Ronald Reagan 22 44.90%
Total: 49 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Giri and Harikrishna on twitter were talking about Aronian v Adams at Bilbao in 2013 and suggesting that was the game Magnus was remembering and playing from - but it was not the best line for black.

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 d5 4. Nc3 Be7 5. Bf4 O-O 6. e3 Nbd7
7. c5 c6 8. Bd3 b6 9. b4 a5 10. a3 Ba6 11. Bxa6 Rxa6 12. b5
cxb5 13. c6 Qc8 14. c7 b4 15. Nb5 a4 16. Rc1 Ne4 17. Ng5 Ndf6
18. Nxe4 Nxe4 19. f3 Ra5 20. Qe2 Qd7 21. fxe4 Rc8 22. exd5
exd5 23. axb4 Rxb5 24. O-O Rxb4 25. Qa6 h6 26. Rc6 Bg5
27. Bxg5 hxg5 28. Rfc1 Rc4 29. R1xc4 dxc4 30. Qxb6 a3 31. Rxc4
a2 32. Qa5 Qe6 33. Qxa2 Rxc7 34. Qa8+ Kh7 35. Rxc7 Qxe3+
36. Kf1 Qf4+ 37. Qf3 Qxc7 38. Qh5+ Kg8 39. Qxg5 Qc4+ 40. Kf2
Qxd4+ 1/2-1/2

e: That was the first win for Anand over Magnus since 2010!

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Svidler made a good point yesterday that Vishy has been studying chess theory for as long as Carlsen has been alive. So while Carlsen might have a prodigious memory - Vishy is a much more theoretical player and needs to capitalise on that strength.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Josh Lyman posted:

I wish there was a VOD of round 7's live coverage so I could experience the marathon as it happened.

What makes it worse is the first 30 moves were played very quickly as they were just playing the main line.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well that was something alright.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In other news, Quackamura actually beat Aronian in the first game in the Showdown in Saint Louis (it's actually possible to come up with a worse name than 'Millionaire Chess'). Not looking so good in game 2 though.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh well, only 2 years to the next match.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Giri is doing a Caruana at the Qatar masters. 6 from 6. Up against Kramnik next.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

V for Vegas posted:

Giri is doing a Caruana at the Qatar masters. 6 from 6. Up against Kramnik next.

and doesn't win another game. Is beaten by Kramnik who wins 6 from 6 who is beaten by... Yu Yangyi... who wins the tournament.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Vishy wins the London Classic. Life in the old dog yet.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For the first time since 1989 Judit Polgar is no longer the highest ranking women's chess player

edit:

hahaha, Kramnik has no fucks left to give (is also goddamn tall)

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 28, 2015

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd love to go to Armenia to hang out with Levon, he'd be a blast I reckon.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Chess grandmaster accused of using iPhone to cheat during international tournament

Nigalidze on the left - I would have been suspicious he was doing something else in the bathroom.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All hail our new champion - Quackamura!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Interesting post from Magnus on reforming the WC

https://www.facebook.com/magnuschess/posts/716100188495958

quote:

In advance of travelling to the US to prepare for the Sinquefield Cup, I felt it important to share with you something I have been thinking about a great deal: the World Championship cycle format.
I want to preface what I’m about to say with the notion that I have great respect and reverence for all the World Champions that have come before me, and for those that have contributed to the professionalization of chess. The Chennai match against V. Anand and our subsequent match in Sochi were both equally powerful and wonderful experiences. I was amazed by the intensity of the match format, as well as the massive interest from both the media and the public. I know people are working diligently to organize the 2014-2016 World Championship cycle, and I very much look forward to the match in November 2016 against the winner of the spring 2016 Candidates tournament.
Despite this, I have, for a long time believed - and voiced publicly - that there should be a new World Championship cycle system, which is both balanced and fair. Those of you who have followed top level chess closely for years will remember that I openly raised the issue of the privileges held by the World Champion on several occasions, prior to qualifying for the match in 2013.
In short, I strongly believe the chess world should evolve to a more just system. What does that look like? I have long thought that moving to an annual knock-out event, similar to the World Cup, would be more equitable. This change would in effect improve the odds of becoming World Champion for nearly every chess player, with the exception of the reigning World Champion, and potentially a few other top players who would no longer be favoured by the current format. Creating regional qualifying events combined with rating spots, the participation of all the top players in the world and the undisputed World Championship title at stake, I truly believe this would make the World Championship cycle more accessible to everyone.
In conclusion, I strongly recommend FIDE look into modernizing the World Championship cycle format.
What are your thoughts? Do you agree that the Chess World Championship cycle would benefit from a new system?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How do you deal with Russia in a 'regional' competition that is at all fair?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
haha, another one. Jesus, what's the top prize for a tournament like this - a thousand euro? As if you're not going to get caught beating GMs.

quote:

An Italian chess player has been expelled from one of Italy’s most important tournaments after he allegedly used Morse code and a spy pendant containing a hidden camera to communicate with an accomplice.

Arcangelo Ricciardi entered the International Chess Festival of Imperia ranked 51,366 in the world, but astonished rivals as he breezed through the early stages of the competition to reach the eighth and penultimate round.

Jean Coqueraut, who refereed the tournament in Liguria, northern Italy, said he began to suspect something was wrong early on in the competition.

“In chess, performances like that are impossible,” he told La Stampa newspaper. “I didn’t think he was a genius, I knew he had to be a cheat.

“I kept on looking at him. He was always sitting down, he never got up. It was very strange; we are taking about hours and hours of playing. But most suspicious of all, he always had his arms folded with his thumb under his armpit. He never took it out.”

Mr Coqueraut said he was also “batting his eyelids in the most unnatural way”.

“Then I understood it,” he said. “He was deciphering signals in Morse code.”

The referee attempted to expose Mr Ricciardi by asking him to empty his pockets, but nothing was found. When the Italian was asked to open his shirt, he refused.

Tournament organisers then asked the 37-year old to pass through a metal detector and a sophisticated pendant was found hanging around his neck underneath a shirt. The pendant contained a tiny video camera as well as a mass of wires attached to his body and a 4cm box under his armpit. Mr Ricciardi claimed they were good luck charms.

It is thought the camera was used to transmit the chess game in real time to an accomplice or sophisticated computer, which then suggested moves for Mr Ricciardi through a series of signals received in the box under his arm.

Mr Coqueraut said Mr Ricciardi constantly drank from a glass of water and wiped his face with a handkerchief to conceal the pendant around his neck. An investigation has been launched and the Italian Chess Federation is deciding whether to press charges for sports fraud.

Allegations of cheating are rare at the top level of chess but increasingly sophisticated technology is being used among those who break the rules.
In April, a disgraced Georgian Grandmaster Gaioz Nigalidze was expelled from the Dubai Open after being caught pretending to be desperate for the loo so he could use a mobile phone to cheat. The device was found to be logged into Nigalidze's social networking account and had one of his games being analysed by a smartphone chess app.

The Imperia Chess Festival is the longest running open event in Italy and attracts some of the biggest names in the sport.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've always found it kind of awesome that Svidler was such a huge cricket nerd.

(case in point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAjaeGMB51c)

I love his chess commentary, so now I'm hugely excited this actually happened! (TMS - Test Match Special, the BBC cricket commentary show with the legendary Aggers)

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
No Grischuk?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Carlsen, Kramnik, So, Karjakin and Giri all playing the Qatar Masters this week. Carlsen already dropped four ELO points for a draw against an IM!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hou Yifan is going well at Wijk aan Zee. First female to 2800?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Women's world championship starts tomorrow

http://www.lviv2016.fide.com/

10 game match. Hou should win by game 7 or 8 I would think.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This is neat - a data visualisation of 2 million chess games

http://blog.ebemunk.com/a-visual-look-at-2-million-chess-games/

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Only problem with the Candidates is Svidler is playing not commentating.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
lmao

https://www.facebook.com/chess/videos/10154267742909571/

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So wins Sinquefield.

Current standings of the "Grand Chess Tour" (is this a new thing?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

• Locked thread