Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
msghall1229
Jan 13, 2015

Just Left of Boom!
Mazda did the same poo poo with my cx9. I didn't leave sit down and made them fix it right there. Mazda has done the work on this car since it was new. Move get new dealer and they gently caress up 6 wheel studs. They fixed everyone of them for free while I waited. Now I take it where I bought my truck. Not one loving issue. It's all on the dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
It really is different for every dealer. The Subaru dealership I used to work at was mazda also. Once you crossed from the Subaru side to mazda you felt a difference. The service writers would not check if the car took 0w-20 synthetic and then come and blame us when we didn't tell them. Even though there job was to open the hood and check when the car pulled in. But then there were service writers who bent over backwards for deserving customers. If you find a tech at a dealership you like. Use him always. I had a guy who exclusively used me for his impreza. On the day I was leaving the dealership he had stopped in for a flat fix. I told him I was leaving and he drove right out of the dealership.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
This thread is making me rethink the first stealership checkup on my tundra, im about 1200miles till the 5k checkup.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
For added hilarity, I recently took this same car in for service for a new upstream O2 sensor. Not that I wouldn't do this on my own, but its at 59,600 miles, so why not get a free sensor for it while I'm not working and it's under warranty?

So I head down to a different dealer. I settle into the waiting room of disparity. There's bad coffee, worse TV, and general sadness in the air. It's 7:55AM. I'm told it'll take a few hours for the car to be serviced.

11:35 rolls around. I notice the car is out front. I walk up to the service advisor, and ask to check out.

"Yep, that sensor isn't in stock, so we will give you a call when it does."

Me: Um, what? What did I sit here for for over 3 hours for? I brought it in for a new upstream sensor. You couldn't tell me that then?

"Sorry sir, we had to check the diagnosis, we usually stock it, but not today"

Me: Listen man, every local NAPA/autozone/etc stocks this part. You're telling me I just wasted half a day here for this?

"Yes"

It took them 3 more business days to call me that the sensor came in. Now I can drive it back over there and sit around for another half a day while they put it in. Mind you it's a 10 second job, the sensor is squarely on the top of the manifold and clearly visible when you pop the hood.

I should have just paid the $120 for a new sensor. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bonus Content: At one point, having left the waiting room for the sales room to find a quiet place to read, I overheard several employees discussing a problem. Apparently, a woman had purchased a brand new car from the dealership and dropped it off for an oil change and tire rotation. The techs couldn't get the lug nuts off, and they were debating whether to charge her $119.99 for a new set of lug nuts. As I scratched my head at the absolute ridiculousness and lack of logic presented, one of the smarter ones asked, "well, even if we charge her for new lug nuts, how will they get the old ones off?"

Seriously, I don't understand how this is the norm. Yes, they charged her the $119.99. No I don't know how they got the lugs off.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Blaise posted:

The techs couldn't get the lug nuts off, and they were debating whether to charge her $119.99 for a new set of lug nuts.

My tire shop gives me free lug nuts all the loving time. Unless it has puzzle lugs I don't get how they'd have the balls to do that for a brand new car.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Also, I want to thank this thread. I had applications in as a salesman for a couple different local dealerships. I now want to work for none of them.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

rotard posted:

This thread is making me rethink the first stealership checkup on my tundra, im about 1200miles till the 5k checkup.

Depends on your dealership. Mines fantastic, has fixed a lot of little things for free, and in general I like them.

I know people who have also been taken for a ride.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
Just last month, I had to bring my '14 Mazda CX5 in for a TSB repair which was for the driver's side view mirror which would vibrate/shake when driving, making the image in the mirror distorted. I brought it back to the dealership where I bought the car from. I went on a test drive with the tech and when I pointed out when it was vibrating, he loudly announced that this was "normal", even after I gave him the specific TSB info. He claimed it was "not vibrating enough".

So I didn't argue, just simply took my business to another Mazda dealer who instantly acknowledged the problem and ordered the new $790 mounting bracket (covered under the TSB). After waiting a week for the part to come in, I go back to them, and they replace the bracket. Problem solved? nope...Before I pulled out of the service center garage, I go to adjust the mirror, and I can hear it moving but the mirror itself barely moves. I tell the service writer that there is a problem, and they get a different tech to look at it, and what do you know...the first tech who completed the TSB broke a few clips on the back of the mirror that connect to the bracket. They had to order me a new mirror, which took another week and forced me to make another trip out there for them to repair.

As I was about to leave after this repair, the service writer cheerfully reminded me to rate them 10 stars on their survey!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I guess I'm sort of lucky. I live far enough out of town that the Ford dealership near me was mostly trucks and family cars for all the old farmers out here for the last 50 years, and none of those old dudes is stupid about machinery or takes poo poo from anyone, so the dealership's service area deals with everyone like they are an old farmer - very honest, nothing you don't ask for gets done, although they will notify you of potential issues that they find during inspections. I've never once had a problem with them and I've been dealing with them for about 10 years now across 3 different cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus, thank christ I have a mid 90's Toyota with cheaper than dirt parts availability, I would go insane dealing with new car issues and dealerships.

Sometimes it seems like used cars are less of a hassle than new cars.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Yeah... we bought my wife a new truck a couple of years ago and this thread is making me want to start doing all of the service myself rather than tell her to take it in for the "$19.99 oil change for life" they threw onto the truck purchase whenever the service light comes on.

She is really good about reading and insisting they follow the service schedule, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

leica posted:

Jesus, thank christ I have a mid 90's Toyota with cheaper than dirt parts availability, I would go insane dealing with new car issues and dealerships.

Sometimes it seems like used cars are less of a hassle than new cars.

Repairs are usually cheaper, but come up more often.

I wonder if there's a graph showing the trend of annual cost of repairs over like 20 years of vehicle ownership.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's even worse with heavy trucks. Guaranteed any warranty issue on a truck is a week. A week down could be $10 grand. Do you pay $500 for the part and do it yourself, or let the truck sit for a week?

Even worse, with recalled parts, they won't sell you the upgraded part, they have to install it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Godholio posted:

In comparison to some new cars, not really. It's mostly simple maintenance and wear item replacement. And I don't have to deal with idiots/liars at the dealership arguing with me that whatever the issue is with my BRAND NEW CAR is my fault.

I know people that have more issues with their new car than I have with both my mid 90's cars put together. There is literally no incentive for me to go into debt for a new car.

Powershift posted:

It's even worse with heavy trucks. Guaranteed any warranty issue on a truck is a week. A week down could be $10 grand. Do you pay $500 for the part and do it yourself, or let the truck sit for a week?

Even worse, with recalled parts, they won't sell you the upgraded part, they have to install it.

My neighbor has a landscaping business and goes through it a lot. First it was a Ford Powerstroke (what a loving joke of a truck that was) and now his brand new Chevy gasser has issues. New car/truck ownership YAY.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 8, 2015

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Blaise posted:

Seriously, I don't understand how this is the norm. Yes, they charged her the $119.99. No I don't know how they got the lugs off.

They cut them off.

I only took my car to my local (Dodge) dealer where I purchased it for only a year before I got tired of them. Car still in warranty had a vibration above 60 mph. I took it in every 3 months where they would take the wheel off to see what was wrong and find nothing. But every freaking time I got charged for new lug nuts because for some reason the had to cut them off. $500 into new lug nuts they destroyed the chroming around the holes by putting the cutter in there. They never found a problem and the vibration would persist because I gave up.

Had I not been the nice/naive person I was back then I'd have thrown a fit and asked for a new wheel….

...which would have solved the problem.

Found out the wheel was bent after the warranty had run out when taking it to a tire shop to have it patched and balanced.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

leica posted:

In comparison to some new cars, not really. It's mostly simple maintenance and wear item replacement. And I don't have to deal with idiots/liars at the dealership arguing with me that whatever the issue is with my BRAND NEW CAR is my fault.

I know people that have more issues with their new car than I have with both my mid 90's cars put together. There is literally no incentive for me to go into debt for a new car.

My neighbor has a landscaping business and goes through it a lot. First it was a Ford Powerstroke (what a loving joke of a truck that was) and now his brand new Chevy gasser has issues. New car/truck ownership YAY.

Aren't you able to get your money back through lemon laws or something if the car is a piece of poo poo?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Aren't you able to get your money back through lemon laws or something if the car is a piece of poo poo?

Yes but that's not the point. I just think it's pretty sad sometimes that people go into debt for a new car thinking they'll be free of used car hassles and end up in an almost worse situation. The car has nagging issues, but you can't take it anywhere but the dealer, and the dealers primary goal is to jerk you around and avoid warranty repairs at all costs. And unless you're the type of person that stands up for yourself you're hosed, and probably would have been better off paying cash for a used car and just dealing with any issues that may happen at a local indy shop.

And even if you stand up for yourself and fight the rear end in a top hat service writers, the process is loving draining and wastes hours of your life that you can never get back. Never mind the soul sucking process to get a car taken back on the lemon law, that in itself is an experience no one should ever have to go through.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 8, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

leica posted:

It depends. I know I'm about at the point of replacing a nearly impossible to find carburetor because nobody can rebuild them worth a drat anymore. Not a wear item, but it's sucking down dollars like an F-35.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Shin-chan posted:

They cut them off.

I only took my car to my local (Dodge) dealer where I purchased it for only a year before I got tired of them. Car still in warranty had a vibration above 60 mph. I took it in every 3 months where they would take the wheel off to see what was wrong and find nothing. But every freaking time I got charged for new lug nuts because for some reason the had to cut them off. $500 into new lug nuts they destroyed the chroming around the holes by putting the cutter in there. They never found a problem and the vibration would persist because I gave up.

Had I not been the nice/naive person I was back then I'd have thrown a fit and asked for a new wheel….

...which would have solved the problem.

Found out the wheel was bent after the warranty had run out when taking it to a tire shop to have it patched and balanced.

Holy. gently caress. Honestly I have never had an issue with getting lug nuts or bolts off. On a new car that just shouldn't happen.

This just baffles me that a dealer would gently caress it up that badly and then charge for it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

leica posted:

And even if you stand up for yourself and fight the rear end in a top hat service writers, the process is loving draining and wastes hours of your life that you can never get back. Never mind the soul sucking process to get a car taken back on the lemon law, that in itself is an experience no one should ever have to go through.

This. Thousand times this. All the shiny new gadgets, comfort options, and whatever other advantages you can get buying new don't mean Jack poo poo if they're not working and you can't enjoy them properly because of dealer bullshit.

In theory it should be that a new car would be trouble free and that the warranty will quickly take care of problems. But god help you if think that actually happens in most cases.

It's a shame the state the new car buying/owning process is, and I really hope Tesla's direct sale model bites into the current dealer network standard, as a lot of the blame seems lie with terrible dealers.

Swiber
Aug 18, 2004
Everything in this thread is so true. I have lots of experience dealing with stealerships, all for warranty work.

Currently my Jeep has been at the dealer since December 20. I am about the call the dealers owner because they keep loving poo poo up and refusing to test the other problems.

As for my past issues.
Oil change, hosed it up more oil on the vehicle than in it.

Another dealer decided to use my vehicle to go get lunch in. Told the GM and he did not care, a couple days later Chrysler told them to have a rental ready for me the decided not to. Later on I told the GM to go gently caress himself with 2 middle fingers in the air on my way out the door.

Toyota dealer:
Just moved to the city and I needed some tires took it to them told them what I wanted and what I would pay. They agreed and ordered them. Then the install. I took pictures of all 4 wheels in the lot before the took it in. Needless to say they scratched the poo poo out of the wheels. The GM had the nerve to ask why I took pictures of the wheels. Ended up not paying for anything after I explained I would just file a charge back with my credit card company.

PS gently caress you Chrysler gently caress you Chrysler gently caress you Chrysler.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bajaha posted:

In theory it should be that a new car would be trouble free and that the warranty will quickly take care of problems. But god help you if think that actually happens in most cases.

That's just it. I convinced a co worker who is pregnant against buying new and going into debt because she has around 8k and can get a really nice used car for cash. Her mother was trying to convince her that a used car would have too many problems. Imagine the amount of people that believe this, going into debt thinking they're doing the best thing for them and their family. Hopefully they choose the right new car that doesn't have issues, but how can you know? It's like a flipping a coin, you could get one with no issues or you could get a lemon, and then how many people have the intestinal fortitude it takes to got through the lemon law process? I wonder how many people are in crushing debt and under water for a new car that is basically worthless.

My co worker decided on getting a used Prius. I like to think I prevented at least one person from possibly making a big mistake.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Some cars just can't be found used right now. In my area there isn't a single used FiST on the dealer lot or on craigslist.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The big issue is that the used market doesn't exist unless someone buys new, and some of the incentives are pretty good for buying new. Low interest rates (or 0% where the cost of borrowing is already in the loan) with zero down is pretty attractive compared to up to 7%-15% for a used car loan if you don't have cash on hand or want to keep it around as an emergency fund, or just investing that cash in something else and make more than the interest on the car loan rather than tying it up in the car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You still have to qualify for low or 0% though, and not a whole lot of people can qualify.

I'm not saying buying new is bad per se, but it is in certain situations where people go into debt for no reason because they believe that used cars are not dependable. Also like you said earlier, just don't expect new car ownership to be trouble and hassle free and you're way ahead of the curve.

All that being said if I had the CASH I would buy a new FiST today :3:

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

leica posted:

I am so very torn between the FiST and FoST. One a superior handling machine with better gas mileage and the other a torque monster with forged engine internals and a little bit more practicality for hauling stuff.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

leica posted:

Same here. I wouldn't buy any car without being able to pay it all upfront. Just don't like having debts hanging over my head for years.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Buying new is one of those things I am too cheap to do so I am glad other people do it... so I can buy them used ten years later.

(The newest car I've ever had was 11 years old, now that I think about it.)

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Godholio posted:

I wonder if there's a graph showing the trend of annual cost of repairs over like 20 years of vehicle ownership.

Realistically if you have 100k miles on a vehicle and maintenance has been kept up there isn't alot that can go wrong. The thing has been running the same way for years and everything is settled in. I'm sure new cars now are not like it was in the 80s/90s where factory quality was abysmal but I'm sure a lot of problems are still encountered in the first 3,000 miles of a vehicle's life just because you're running everything for the first time and everything hasn't had a chance to settle in.

kastein posted:

Buying new is one of those things I am too cheap to do so I am glad other people do it... so I can buy them used ten years later.

(The newest car I've ever had was 11 years old, now that I think about it.)

I used to occasionally try to work out if I'd save any money financing a new car versus whatever car I had at that moment and budgeting something like $100 a month for repairs and the numbers never work out. I think once with my gen 1 ford taurus I would've saved like $10 a month if the fuel economy figures on the new car were accurate, and that car was the only car where you would expect to get anywhere close to that $100/month repair budget.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Godholio posted:

Years ago, one of the UK bike magazines took a Honda (I think it was a CBR600) that a guy had abused for the best part of a decade without servicing, and rebuilt the engine. It did actually cost them less than (dealer) servicing per the manual over the same time period.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The last time I went to a dealership to get work done was just amazing. I had bought a lower control arm from them and it failed like 3 months later so I go back to get a replacement under warranty. So I shop around prices to get the job done (this was before I knew much about cars), and everyone wants too much money. So I end up just having the dealer do it. I go back to pick up the car and the price is 3x the original estimate.

Long story short, they refused to honor the warranty on the part because they didn't have the original part. Because they had discarded it. Yes that's right. They refused to honor their warranty because they had thrown away the part.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I'm blown away at how lovely all your dealer stories are. :stare: The only dealer story I had was when I took my old Mazdaspeed3 into the dealer to get my free oil change. Nothing was wrong until I was looking under the car one day for shits and giggles (I have a weird obsession with looking at mechanical bits of new-to-me cars) and I noticed that someone had cut an access hole in the plastic shroud that covered the engine. Apparently Mazda used the standard Mazda3 shroud on the MS3 units, which put the engine oil filter at a strange angle away from the existing factory access hole. Some enterprising grease monkey, thinking he would save himself time in the future, decided to cut a hole in the bottom of my shroud to save himself time in the future on oil changes.

The hole was also big enough and poorly cut enough to allow you a direct shot into the engine to see the turbo. Which means if I hit standing water, there's a non-zero chance the turbo could get splashed with cold water.

One nasty letter later and the dealer immediately offered to replace it, for free. When I showed up the GM apologized but then told me that it was standard operating procedure as "the connectors that hold the shroud up are prone to break when removed too often." I wanted to make a smarmy reply about how 10 $2 connectors every year was a lot less than a brand-new turbo that cracked from being heated then cooled from splashing water, but gently caress it, I had a brand new shroud and never needed to raise my voice, so I just ignored him and never returned.

I can't help but wonder how many turbo replacements that dealer has seen over the last few years. CX-7, MS3, MS6, I bet they've made some good money by now. :smith:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Ripoff posted:

I can't help but wonder how many turbo replacements that dealer has seen over the last few years. CX-7,

that thing killed itself don't blame the dealer for something it cant control.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
I can write up and down in this thread.

Most dealers in NYC and the surrounding areas will have a book of tricks for getting out of warranty work. It is not worth their time and most of them tell you to go back to the dealer you bought the car at. Of course if you've bought something from a far away dealer that doesn't work. Even if you bought the car from them, they will give you an appointment so far away on the calendar you will want to call around first.

I have found making generic appointments and then changing them when showing up seems to work.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

leica posted:

That's just it. I convinced a co worker who is pregnant against buying new and going into debt because she has around 8k and can get a really nice used car for cash. Her mother was trying to convince her that a used car would have too many problems. Imagine the amount of people that believe this, going into debt thinking they're doing the best thing for them and their family. Hopefully they choose the right new car that doesn't have issues, but how can you know? It's like a flipping a coin, you could get one with no issues or you could get a lemon, and then how many people have the intestinal fortitude it takes to got through the lemon law process? I wonder how many people are in crushing debt and under water for a new car that is basically worthless.

My co worker decided on getting a used Prius. I like to think I prevented at least one person from possibly making a big mistake.

Quoting this, because it is so loving on point. Well said, seriously.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I knew a guy with a habit of wrecking any car he bought with in a year of buying it. After wrecking a second hand Cavalier he bought a brand new cobalt and reasoned that it would be much safer and he would save money on repairs. 16 months later...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TWSS posted:

I am so very torn between the FiST and FoST. One a superior handling machine with better gas mileage and the other a torque monster with forged engine internals and a little bit more practicality for hauling stuff.

I have a FoST, and a friend has a FiST. At today's autocross we swapped during time only runs. Both have Recaro's, and both are 2014's. Handling is very similar (although I was on factory Goodyears and she was on RS-3's, so with equal tires the Focus might have been a bit better), but power curve on the Focus is so much smoother, and for me, the shifter position in the Fiesta is too low and not placed in a 'natural' position. The Fiesta 'felt' smaller/lighter (which makes perfect sense) but also a bit less refined. There is a noticeable power lag coming out of the corners hard with the Fiesta that the Focus doesn't have, and the brakes are touchier on the Fiesta as well. The ergonomics of the Focus are better (IMO) with larger displays and the fully-automatic climate control. Also, it's a bit wider and longer so slightly more roomy.

Overall I'm glad I went with the Focus, but they are really both a lot of fun to throw around, and I think it really should come down to which one you just 'like' best.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

1500quidporsche posted:

I knew a guy with a habit of wrecking any car he bought with in a year of buying it. After wrecking a second hand Cavalier he bought a brand new cobalt and reasoned that it would be much safer and he would save money on repairs. 16 months later...

I still don't get how people do this. I haven't had/been in an accident - knock on wood - other than the hit and run on my old truck. Maybe I am lucky or am I just paying attention?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I still don't get how people do this. I haven't had/been in an accident - knock on wood - other than the hit and run on my old truck. Maybe I am lucky or am I just paying attention?

My theory has always been that it can be traced back to his dad dying in a car crash. There are unlucky people and there's this guy. Over the span of 5 years he wrecked 4 possibly 5 cars. But his dad worked for a dealership so he was raised on the kool aid. His mother got ripped off getting a new car from them so he could have her old car to replace the wrecked new cobalt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have been in one accident, the rest were intentionals.

(offroading is hard on body panels.)

• Locked thread