Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
You can absolutely get them to pay for it, and they should. Bitch enough and start moving up the food chain and it'll get done. Don't be hesitant to talk about bad CSI surveys and that will get someone moving on it quick too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

the spyder posted:

Re: Mini's
I will never, ever, EVER allow anyone I know to buy a Mini Cooper after my experience. I don't care how cute they look. I don't care how small they are. I don't care what gas mileage they get. There are only two cars I have truly hated owning/working on. Both ironically were my wifes; a 2001 Jetta and her current 2006 Mini Cooper S. Now all cars need maintenance, but nothing like this POS has cost me.

Off the top of my head:
1) Both axles
2) Passenger wheel bearing
3) Passenger strut top
4) Passenger lower control arm
5) Passenger lower control arm bushing
6) Sway bar links
7) Coolant expansion tank
8) Power Steering revisor and lines
9) Water pump, radiator hoses
10) Motor mounts
11) Clutch slave
12) Clutch master
13) Complete clutch kit- throwout bearing exploded- breaking arm.
14) Wheel speed sensors
15) Power steering pump fan
16) Power steering rack (not done yet)
17) Drivers side pillar air bag- developed internal fault due to cold solder joint
18) Fuel gauge does not work (costs $600 for both sending units)
19) A second clutch slave cyl
20) A new clutch slave hard line

And I'm sure a dozen small things I've forgotten. I wish we had just kept our Mazda 3 hatch.

I had my 03 S just under two years before a jeep ended it's life, but I was relatively lucky compared to you and some of my friends I made around here who have them.

1) belt tensioner snapped at the front where it mounts. clean break through, but amazingly it didn't gently caress up the belt and it held together until I got a new one
2) both front wheel hubs, during which both
3) front wheel speed sensors broke
4) power steering pump fan
5) rear brake pad separated from the backing plate and kept getting stuck against the rotor in reverse. I had all new brakes so I just did everything

I replaced a bunch of other poo poo before it had the chance to finish breaking all the way too like the crank pulley and the expansion tank. I was about to do the front control arm bushings but thank hell I didn't end up needing to. I would have been super pissed if I had done them only to get in an accident and have the car totaled right after

I feel pity on anyone who has done the power steering poo poo themselves. Good luck when you want to replace the oil in the rear of the supercharger so your new waterpump doesn't end up doing nothing

Fun car to drive and I miss the supercharger so much, but they are pieces of poo poo if you don't stay on top of every little thing. The new ones are just as bad, and the early turbo ones are probably the worst. They have all the problems of a regular BMW plus their own crap on top of that :buddy:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

Was that a third party warranty? I've been told that all third party warranties are scams. Anything from the manufacturer send okay. I had good luck with my warranty on my cpo Altima. Warranty was through Nissan themselves.

From the explanation I've been given they pretty much are

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

While I don't disagree that how they handled that (and moreso, handled you as a customer with effectively still a brand-new car) was pretty poo poo, I do bet that Honda probably makes them go through some extremely thorough diagnostics. There are very few reasons a car with that few miles should need a new head. :stare:

I can say with certainty that they do. Just as an example for our cars you'd have to go through a bunch of test plans and then call in and get a case number and then go through some more testing and then they'll give you the green light if you still need to keep moving forward

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RCarr posted:

There's probably a better chance that the service writer had no idea what was actually being done. You'd be surprised how often the mechanics won't explain what's happening to the writer, or will flat out lie about it.

Also keep in mind that the majority of a service writer's day is getting screamed at by customers for things they A) Are not involved in B) Have no control over

Also the writers are really busy and don't follow up with every little thing because they don't have the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

warcake posted:

Thats weird to me, we are given pretty much free reign over warranty jobs. We have to use "guided diagnostics" on the laptop and follow the steps but if i find something broke I don't have to ask anyones permission to replace it.

Except a bus with <1000km on it with a dropped valve, I thought i better ask permission for that one. They didn't want us to repair it and straight up sent out a factory new engine (circa £25-30k) They were even nice enough to follow up and let me know what had failed after it got sent back and torn down.

I think our dealership must be one of the nice ones, we hand out any service info to anyone who asks, lend out our manufacturer special tools and try and get the customers goodwill from headoffice on anything out of warranty on big jobs. I have never seen a tech or service guy upsell anything.

I'm talking about something such as replacing a cylinder head or like an ECU. Things that don't usually just break, especially at low miles

• Locked thread