Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

1500quidporsche posted:

How do you overtorque a wheel stud so much that it loving sheers in half :stonk:

Hate dealership service departments with a deep burning passion.

Use a rattle gun at full power because its 30 seconds faster than putting a torque stick on it, or god forbid get an actual torque wrench out.

Although its rare I take my cars to the dealership (ie only for warranty work), I make it extremely explicit that they are not to take the wheels off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

1500quidporsche posted:

I dunno. They do extremely well in autocross so there is something to their handling.

They are narrow, light weight cars that pack a surprising amount of power. Its not really a handling thing.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

I had them order a pre-painted handle for $65, and gave them the VIN and color code. They ordered the wrong color (still white, but basic white instead of mother of pearl white - they ordered it in a color that was specific to 99-01, hers is an 03), and said "sorry, special order, no returns", even though they ordered the wrong color when they had the correct info. :fuckoff:

At which point you called up your credit card company and asked them to do a chargeback, yes?

Yeah, I had a Toyota service department gently caress up and order the wrong light bulb (some stupid specialty thing for the radio that none of the parts stores carried). I had to prove to them the part number they ordered was not the correct one. Since then, I've looked up the part numbers ahead of time and just demanded they order exactly that.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Really? No one questioned this? I'd struggle to call a Mini narrow or light weight. What's your metric?

Compared to the other things in the classes they run (remember the subject was autocross, so it kinda seems like you fail at reading comprehension), yes, they are narrow and lightweight (particularly considering the power they make).

Looking at them as a general car, I agree, they are pigs and barely resemble anything about the original Mini that they share a name with. They perform surprisingly well in autocross, but are terrible cars otherwise.

In autocross, narrow cars have specific advantages. The biggest advantage they have is the distance they need to traverse when going through a slalom is significantly shorter than a wider car due to ordinary physics. Its extremely unlikely that a wider car will be able to go faster enough to make up the distance penalty. While wider cars have advantages in sweepers (long-ish single direction turns), not much else in the class can match the mini's power. The Mini is pretty aggressively classed for its performance characteristics to the point of nearly being an overdog, but newer and popular cars tend to get favorable classing so that you don't have to hunt for some 25 year old unicorn car to be competitive.

Brigdh fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 12, 2015

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Extra posted:

Also known as a 100% stock Honda CRX Si.

Street Touring Civic was just eliminated as a class, so someone must have woken up to their senses. I do agree, the Civic SI and CRX are in the unicorn realm, and should probably be "nerfed" a bit. It'll cause a ruckus though.

InitialDave posted:

Assuming we're talking the first BMW ones, Cooper is ~115bhp, Cooper S is ~170. In a 5'6" wide car that's 1200kg.

That may be good for the US market, but in hot hatch terms it's distinctly "meh". I happen to think they're not particularly nice to drive, too, but the feel of things is just opinion.

I'd take a Clio 172/182 or Ford Puma over one any day. Or a nice E30 325i.

I think the main problem is the US market being utterly starved, for years, of any kind of good, fun hatches, just like cheap brute power simply isn't a thing over here.

Its good compared to what they are classed against. For autocross, the Cooper is kind of the complete package of size, weight, and power. Its running against CRZs (not CRXs), Corollas, Mazda 3s, Preludes, Lancers, and the BMW 318is. Again, as a regular car, the Cooper is a dog and I'm surprised it sells although if the PT cruiser can be a success, then the Mini certainly shouldn't have many issues finding buyers.

Most European hot hatches I'm familiar with would be excluded from autocross for not meeting the minimum required safety factor to reduce the risk of roll over (too tall for how narrow they are). The ones that could meet that metric would likely not be classed against the Mini. I know its not really a hot hatch by your standards, but the Focus ST is kind of an "American" hot hatch, and its classed one class up from where the Mini runs, so while the mini would lose head-to-head, they are separated so that doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

So, back on topic, the last dealership work I had was an engine replacement under warranty. Just yesterday I was swapping wheels and noticed 2 of the 5 mounting bolts for the diff had backed out a good inch. Clearly the dealership doesn't know what a torque wrench is. Tightening them back up led me to notice the exhaust pipe between the cat and the muffler is not attached to its two hangers. I mist have gotten a tech who was in a hurry to go on vacation.

• Locked thread