Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saga
Aug 17, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Remember there was somebody from around where I live that brought their car into the dealership to get spark plugs changed and found a torque wrench sitting under the hood when they got home....

The dealership had the balls to ask for it back.

Perfectly reasonable - aside from the fact that it is the dealership's torque wrench, it suggests they actually used a torque wrench for something.

e: counterpoint, I had a non-dealership mechanic tighten the nuts on a wheel so hard that when I had to put the spare on that corner of the car, the factory stud wrench shattered at the head. A second place just didn't tighten them. I noticed when I went to investigate a clunking noise and found I only had 3/5 nuts left on one wheel, all loose.

Saga fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Back when we had our Cooper (it was an '03 and I think we got it in '06) I took it to a dealer in Chicago to get some warranty work done. They pointed out that I needed new brake pads and rotors. I asked them to quote it for me, mostly out of curiosity (the car had about 30k on it and I had recently checked the pad linings, all were perfectly fine) and they came back with $1500 for pads and rotors on one axle.

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life.

Fraud appears to be SOP for dealerships.

Years ago I bought a BMW "approved" 3 series from a big dealership in southern PA.

Brought it back 3 weeks later for a an unrelated warranty issue and the service writer insisted that the discs and pads were way past the wear limit and just had to be replaced! The car had done like 300 miles, pretty much all Interstate cruising, so either they sold me a supposedly properly inspected, "certified" car with unsafe discs and no meat on the pads, or they were lying about the current condition of the braking system. Either way, fraud. I told them no, funnily enough, and never went back to a dealership.

To be fair to dealerships, the standard of work and general honesty in the US car business is shocking. I had so many terrible experiences every time I tried to find someone to do work I didn't have the time or experience to do, before I lucked out and found a good shop. Which of course was owned and run by a Turkish dude from Germany, pretty much reinforcing my view of the US car industry.

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

distinctly remember 4 freshly minted used Mini owners stuck in the same boat after the timing gear let go for German Engineered Reasons.

Remember that the first new mini had a Chrysler engine built in Brazil and the second new mini has a PSA engine, assembled for Minis in the UK.

I don't really like Minis but there you go.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

warcake posted:

Normally over 100mph = ban in the UK

Dangerous driving charge, indictable, quite possibly off to federal pound you in the rear end prison if there was any other traffic within sight.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

RCarr posted:

The inspection basically means looking over the car and seeing if it's possible to sell it as is without getting sued into oblivion. I've seen these "inspections" pass cars with 2mm left on the brake pads, with bald dry-rotting tires, coolant/oil/power steering leaks, you name it.

So I think I posted this at the start of this thread, but I bought a CPO 3 series that had supposedly been rigorously inspected. About 3 weeks later I brought it back for a window regulator issue and the stealership tried to ding me for a $1,000 (ha ha ha) brake job because the front pads and discs were "dangerously low".

I guess that's how they pay for the free coffee.

• Locked thread