Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bring all your maintenance paperwork to them, this should be enough proof that their dumb assess are the only ones who hosed with this car.

Good luck, and prepare for a long fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

^ pretty much, don't take no for an answer and you'll have to bitch to anyone who has an ear, you almost have to be unreasonable to get a fair result. It's all a huge waste of time.

If we buy a new car again I'm seriously going to choose the dealership based on how comfy the chairs are and how nice the cappuccino station is.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

leica posted:

And even if you stand up for yourself and fight the rear end in a top hat service writers, the process is loving draining and wastes hours of your life that you can never get back. Never mind the soul sucking process to get a car taken back on the lemon law, that in itself is an experience no one should ever have to go through.

This. Thousand times this. All the shiny new gadgets, comfort options, and whatever other advantages you can get buying new don't mean Jack poo poo if they're not working and you can't enjoy them properly because of dealer bullshit.

In theory it should be that a new car would be trouble free and that the warranty will quickly take care of problems. But god help you if think that actually happens in most cases.

It's a shame the state the new car buying/owning process is, and I really hope Tesla's direct sale model bites into the current dealer network standard, as a lot of the blame seems lie with terrible dealers.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The big issue is that the used market doesn't exist unless someone buys new, and some of the incentives are pretty good for buying new. Low interest rates (or 0% where the cost of borrowing is already in the loan) with zero down is pretty attractive compared to up to 7%-15% for a used car loan if you don't have cash on hand or want to keep it around as an emergency fund, or just investing that cash in something else and make more than the interest on the car loan rather than tying it up in the car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

1500quidporsche posted:

Then I always remember that it would be a loving fight convincing them that I want diesel synthetic oil put in.

I've had luck pointing out the specified certification requirements for the oil in the manual and pointing out the certification on the oil to convince them it's ok. They still look dumbfounded but they have trouble fighting certification.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

1500quidporsche posted:

Its normal. Every little sound my VW makes causes me to think "This thing is going to fall apart seconds from now and cause me to die in a fiery death on the highway"

You just learn to live with it. It helps to think that you're getting the Italian supercar experience on a budget.

Subaru's are great to play "what's that noise?" with. Most, err, character filled cars I've driven so far. You'd go mad if you tried to have an explanation for every little odd noise you'd hear, especially on cold starts. Best just to accept it as the nature of the beast and take solace in the fact they're pretty bullet proof until you start making lots of torques.

Back to the spirit of the thread, currently going through arbitration (Canada's woefully inadequate parallel to the Lemon laws in the US) and just got a letter from the dealer that they'll pay over retail for it since they're starved for used cars :haw: they put a surprising amount of effort into this ruse, glued on sticky note with handwriting imitation font, fake email format from used sales manager to our salesman, fake email headings, the works. Tempted to ask about it next time we're at the dealer and laugh in their faces at the "above market value" offer they'd give.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

jamal posted:

Pretty much this. Most people have no idea how cars work or how much it should cost to do things, so the dealer can tell them whatever they want. They also thing the dealership is the only place they can have their car worked on.

That, in addition to the flawed reasoning that the dealer actually knows their cars because they're associated with whatever brand, and the ads you see and hear that use scare tactics to convince you only to use :siren: genuine *manufacturer* parts and service :siren: lest you end up dying in a fiery explosion of poor imitation parts and service. Add in the idea that higher cost = better and the vast majority of people do get suckered in, unfortunately.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

some texas redneck posted:

:siren: Paging Bajaha. Bajaha, your experience with Hyundai quality and dealerships is needed on aisle 3.

Where do I start? Terrible service, long waits, overcharging without shame, misinformation, scare tactics to push unnecessary maintenance, incompetent technicians, no care for customer property, denying liability, backtracking when called out on b.s., "forgetting" to contact customers when having to deliver bad news, etc. My Baja thread contains the nitty gritty details.

The "warranty" has wasted an unbelievable amount of my time, and the ownership experience has been about as pleasant as shoving pineapples up my rear end. The car itself is a decent commuter, and if it was reliable it probably would have been ok, but with the constant issues and dealership experience, I've come to loath the drat thing. God help you if you have to interact with a Hyundai dealership for service after buying one of their cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI. Seriously, whenever you ask a Hyundai owner who hasn't lost that misty-eyed wonder about their cars being 'covered' for so long, it reminds me of the 'warranty' spiel from Tommy Boy.

* she was *told* Hyundai was covering the cost as a 'nuisance repair' -

Oh boy, I completely forgot about the "goodwill" repairs, probably because they did the fix, but the principal of calling something that should clearly be covered by warranty as "goodwill" is insulting. gently caress you and your bullshit of "goodwill" to avoid admitting liability.

As for the genesis, I've seen quite a few locally, but all I've heard is the owners complaints after they got rid of them. But that's mostly from the tuner/hellaflush wannabe crew so I took it with a grain of salt, but after my Veloster experience, I'm more inclined to think their issues weren't self induced.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 27, 2015

• Locked thread