Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How do you overtorque a wheel stud so much that it loving sheers in half :stonk:

Hate dealership service departments with a deep burning passion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Brigdh posted:

god forbid get an actual torque wrench out.

Remember there was somebody from around where I live that brought their car into the dealership to get spark plugs changed and found a torque wrench sitting under the hood when they got home....

The dealership had the balls to ask for it back.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Blaise posted:

The techs couldn't get the lug nuts off, and they were debating whether to charge her $119.99 for a new set of lug nuts.

My tire shop gives me free lug nuts all the loving time. Unless it has puzzle lugs I don't get how they'd have the balls to do that for a brand new car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Godholio posted:

Repairs are usually cheaper, but come up more often.

I wonder if there's a graph showing the trend of annual cost of repairs over like 20 years of vehicle ownership.

Realistically if you have 100k miles on a vehicle and maintenance has been kept up there isn't alot that can go wrong. The thing has been running the same way for years and everything is settled in. I'm sure new cars now are not like it was in the 80s/90s where factory quality was abysmal but I'm sure a lot of problems are still encountered in the first 3,000 miles of a vehicle's life just because you're running everything for the first time and everything hasn't had a chance to settle in.

kastein posted:

Buying new is one of those things I am too cheap to do so I am glad other people do it... so I can buy them used ten years later.

(The newest car I've ever had was 11 years old, now that I think about it.)

I used to occasionally try to work out if I'd save any money financing a new car versus whatever car I had at that moment and budgeting something like $100 a month for repairs and the numbers never work out. I think once with my gen 1 ford taurus I would've saved like $10 a month if the fuel economy figures on the new car were accurate, and that car was the only car where you would expect to get anywhere close to that $100/month repair budget.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I knew a guy with a habit of wrecking any car he bought with in a year of buying it. After wrecking a second hand Cavalier he bought a brand new cobalt and reasoned that it would be much safer and he would save money on repairs. 16 months later...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I still don't get how people do this. I haven't had/been in an accident - knock on wood - other than the hit and run on my old truck. Maybe I am lucky or am I just paying attention?

My theory has always been that it can be traced back to his dad dying in a car crash. There are unlucky people and there's this guy. Over the span of 5 years he wrecked 4 possibly 5 cars. But his dad worked for a dealership so he was raised on the kool aid. His mother got ripped off getting a new car from them so he could have her old car to replace the wrecked new cobalt.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

:ohdear: You've got some poo poo luck.

I'm pretty sure this guy was the common factor in all the collisions. I remember he was bitching once cause the cops pulled him over when he blew through a red light at 3 am cause that's perfectly fine nobody would be going through an intersection at 3 am. The insanity came from him maintaining each accident wasn't his fault while justifying that his next car was safer. Rolled an SUV? I'll get a car you can't roll that. Car gets T-boned? This one has ABS and traction control. Rear end people twice with that car? This one has AWD. Thank god he finally just gave up on driving.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm always tempted to bring my scirocco in to a dealer for an oil change just to see the repairs the come up with and what stuff they'd miss.

Then I always remember that it would be a loving fight convincing them that I want diesel synthetic oil put in.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Mini is arguably the best designed FWD platform on the market today. A pure stroke of genius by BMW.

Then they made the decision to assemble it in England.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

InitialDave posted:

They're an ugly, overweight styling exercise with an appalling interior, and I have no clue as to why anyone would buy one over something else.

They're totally unappealing but from an engineering standpoint they're incredibly well packaged and the chassis copes well with whatever you throw at it. You have to admire that BMW packaged the engine bay so there is no clearance for anything.

I would guess a sizable chunk of that $10k repair cost comes from having to disassemble the entire front of the car to get the engine out.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I dunno. They do extremely well in autocross so there is something to their handling.

I do agree that I'd rather run my balls through a meat grinder then work on one though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

BrokenKnucklez posted:

In fairness, I do that to cars I give no fucks about.

Ultimate Driving Machine.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ragnarok the Red posted:

But it feels like anytime I read anything Mini-related on AI or the internet in general it makes me feel like I'm driving a literal ticking time bomb and I should immediately trade it in for a Prius.

Is it normal feeling like this or just 15 years of driving generally bulletproof Toyotas & Nissans making me paranoid? :v:

Its normal. Every little sound my VW makes causes me to think "This thing is going to fall apart seconds from now and cause me to die in a fiery death on the highway"

You just learn to live with it. It helps to think that you're getting the Italian supercar experience on a budget.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Have you seen this poo poo yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c95oR7rN3H4

It reeks of scam, I cannot find a single detail on how the system works.

The giant mat just looks like it senses movement and would tell you its misfiring as if you wouldn't notice that driving it. May as well have a temperature sensor to place on top of the engine so a computer can determine if its on fire for you.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You know, now that you posted those, I vaguely remember reading something about them a while back. I'd like to try them, but that's a lot of scratch for headlights. Hopefully they'll come down in a few years.

I'm in the same boat except rocks chew up my sealed beams at such an alarming rate during the winter that they would pretty much need to be under $60 for me to consider this.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cakefool posted:

Do you drove anything you could put a plastic or mesh cover over the lights of?

I'm sure something out there exists for it. I haven't really looked for one though. Im too lazy though and the current solution of keeping an extra set of lights in the back of my car works fine at the moment.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

When I needed an idle air valve for my 30 year old scirocco there was only one car I could find it on. A 2002 Hyundai, exact same part and everything. I get the distinct impression those cars are literally cobbled together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Fart Pipe posted:

Haha really? Is yours a 8V with that huge IAV that hangs off to the side? Its so huge, I cant imagine why Hyundai would use that one 20 years later.

Nah its the 16v one that runs off the PCV hose and loops into the rubber boot. Its a Bosch part so I imagine some Hyundai accountant went out drinking with a Bosch rep and got talked into buying a warehouse full of them.

• Locked thread