Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Similar story: My brother had a local shop do the brakes on his Accord. When I went to put his winter wheels on about a month later, one of the front studs was crossthreaded and snapped off when I tried to remove the lugnut with a breaker bar.

He has the receipt and told me he watched them put all the lugnuts back on with an impact, but does he have any actual recourse with them? He's driving around town on 3/4 lugnuts on one of his front wheels right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That sounds like what happened to my brother a couple of months ago.

He had his Accord in getting a new radiator. A week later, his car starts surging forward suddenly and dangerously as if it had a mind of its own.

I met him in a Lowe's parking lot and found that 1) his airbox cover was completely loose, and 2) his old radiator cap was lodged in his throttle body.

They'd apparently had the airbox off, and while putting everything back together put the old radiator cap on top of his filter and then forgot all about it as they half-assedly buttoned everything back up.

I'm honestly surprised it didn't cause an accident.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

EightBit posted:

I need to show this thread to my friend, whose Mini Cooper is always at the dealer.

Back when we had our Cooper (it was an '03 and I think we got it in '06) I took it to a dealer in Chicago to get some warranty work done. They pointed out that I needed new brake pads and rotors. I asked them to quote it for me, mostly out of curiosity (the car had about 30k on it and I had recently checked the pad linings, all were perfectly fine) and they came back with $1500 for pads and rotors on one axle.

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That number seems a bit... er, high.

If the car was only three years old, wouldn't it still have a powertrain warranty?

And it looks like they agreed to pay 60% of the repairs, bringing the cost of an engine replacement down to normal levels (or more likely, making themselves look good while charging her the normal amount). Still lovely but she isn't paying nearly $11k for an engine replacement or she's a moron.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My Mini had the Harman Kardonn amp go out, apparently a common issue. At the time it was $1200 for a new one, just the part. I got a used one for $200. THAT GODDAMN PIECE OF JUNK.

Actually that Mini had a lot of problems for its low mileage, but nothing terribly expensive. I think her complaint should be more of a complaint against BMW and Mini dealerships than the cars themselves.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My R50 handled fantastically well. It was also easy to work on, for the most part.

I can't speak to anything newer than that, though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

revmoo posted:

I wouldn't let a dealer change my oil even if it was free and they came and picked up my car and dropped it back off. No freaking way.

I'd trust my BMW dealership with changing my oil, and the local indy I use sometimes instead of them because I know they use synthetic. I also know they both charge for it out the rear end, so I normally do it myself.

And it's still expensive because my car takes a hilarious amount of oil (nearly 9 quarts) and I use full synthetic.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

revmoo posted:

My local BMW dealership uses water from a hose to fill radiators.

:stare:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

I had them order a pre-painted handle for $65, and gave them the VIN and color code. They ordered the wrong color (still white, but basic white instead of mother of pearl white - they ordered it in a color that was specific to 99-01, hers is an 03), and said "sorry, special order, no returns", even though they ordered the wrong color when they had the correct info. :fuckoff:

That's where you refuse receipt of the part, because it is not what you ordered. You're can't return anything you don't receive.

Pretty sure there's a consumer protection law in there somewhere to back you up, though I don't know which one or how it varies state to state.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nodoze posted:

I had my 03 S just under two years before a jeep ended it's life, but I was relatively lucky compared to you and some of my friends I made around here who have them.

1) belt tensioner snapped at the front where it mounts. clean break through, but amazingly it didn't gently caress up the belt and it held together until I got a new one
2) both front wheel hubs, during which both
3) front wheel speed sensors broke
4) power steering pump fan
5) rear brake pad separated from the backing plate and kept getting stuck against the rotor in reverse. I had all new brakes so I just did everything

I replaced a bunch of other poo poo before it had the chance to finish breaking all the way too like the crank pulley and the expansion tank. I was about to do the front control arm bushings but thank hell I didn't end up needing to. I would have been super pissed if I had done them only to get in an accident and have the car totaled right after

I feel pity on anyone who has done the power steering poo poo themselves. Good luck when you want to replace the oil in the rear of the supercharger so your new waterpump doesn't end up doing nothing

Fun car to drive and I miss the supercharger so much, but they are pieces of poo poo if you don't stay on top of every little thing. The new ones are just as bad, and the early turbo ones are probably the worst. They have all the problems of a regular BMW plus their own crap on top of that :buddy:

It seems the first gens are eons more reliable than the second and third gens. They still have their issues but not like the turbo models.

I think there was a recall on the electric power steering, fyi. I know I had mine fixed for free (though I had to drive 100 miles to the dealer without power steering, that was a fun time right there).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Elephanthead posted:

Any decent car is going to need to be tested up to 120 just to see if 6th gear is functional.

What the hell kind of gearing must a car have such that you need to be going 120mph until you can shift into sixth without lugging it :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've only ever had excellent service at my local BMW dealer. Nice loaners, they install parts I bring them without question, and are friendly to chat with and very knowledgeable about things. Anecdotal for sure, but that's my experience.

• Locked thread