Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

How do you overtorque a wheel stud so much that it loving sheers in half :stonk:

LloydDobler posted:

Usually they chew up the threads tightening it so that it galls and seizes. Then removing it with the rattle gun the next time snaps it off.

Either what Lloyd said, or manage to cross-thread it. I've snapped two studs in half by hand as a result of that.

In one case on the GMC... there's still enough stud left for the lug to grab and torque down on, and it's a six-lug truck. In the other on my NB Miata, while I was pretty sure the shop was at fault for it, it was quicker and easier to replace the stud myself than deal with those fucksticks again. They had managed to put the directional tires on backwards, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

A friend owns a 2013 Chrysler 300 that's spent more time in the shop than on the road.

It only took 7 or so trips (most of them via tow truck) to the dealer to get the alternator fixed

This is more of a horrible dealership failure than a horrible car failure. Besides, the LX platform always has the redeeming factor (to me) of insane amounts of legroom.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

It certainly never hurts to check your alignment.

When we dropped off my friend's Prius for a HV battery replacement, I noticed that the dealer had two alignment rigs embedded over their service entry area. Not with the full lift arrangement either - just mounted in the ceiling and pointed at two lanes of the driveway between the showroom and the service area. Seems like the accuracy problems inherent in that might help sell a lot more alignments.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I will say that the HF torque stick - at least the lowest one, the only one I ever use - seems to be remarkably accurate. Start the lugs by hand, turn my impact to its lowest setting, and let it hammer away as long as I care; it gets them very consistently to somewhere around 60-80 ftlb. Grab the torque wrench and each one requires maybe 1/8 of a turn before it clicks at 100 ftlb.

I've gotten torque-wrench happy on the Jeep, especially since I finally broke down and bought a 1/4" drive HF wrench measured in inch-pounds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yinzer posted:

poo poo I'm looking at a used car from this dealership, and they are offering me a lifetime warranty on the powertrain and pretty much anything else. It's a $100 deductible but all I have to do is keep it routinely serviced at whatever dealership I like. After reading this thread and how service centers treat warranties, I'm starting to have second thoughts now.

Remember that the dealership is going to make money off of this by a long shot. In this case, they're expecting less profit up front and more on the long run by charging you for every bit of maintenance.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yinzer posted:

Just curious how would the dealership, who would be selling me the warranty (they are underwriting it also), getting more profit down the road cause I do not plan on going to this dealer for service since they are out of state.

Looking at $2k for the warranty but like I said I could take it wherever I'd like to.

Just to be clear, the powertrain covers the life of my ownership and extra insurance goes through 100k miles which will be "forever" to me. So basically maintenance then $100 copay for anything else, it covers a fuckton.

It just sounds too good to be true honestly.

Ah, I misread it at first - for some reason I thought they were charging you $100 for the warranty but had to go to them specifically.

But, yes, it is too good to be true. Don't get me wrong, there are good warranties out there - I made the mistake of buying one through the Chevy dealership where I bought my used Miata (yes, really) and it was through GM. They never gave me a bit of grief when using it, and had no problem doing repairs for even the most minor poo poo... they replaced a radiator that had a pinhole in the filler neck that was so small, it would only build up a trail of dried coolant over the course of months. The only way I could have considered that warranty as 'worth it' was if I had assumed I would only ever pay top-dollar dealer rates for work every time, instead of taking it to an independent shop. They paid out every time but I still would've been money way ahead by skipping the warranty.

Every once in a while a warranty makes sense - take that guy on Jalopnik with the Range Rover and the warranty that Carmax didn't charge him nearly enough for. But they've since raised their rates dramatically on their warranties, and if you give a poo poo about repair costs I sincerely hope you aren't buying a loving Rover.

Yinzer posted:

That's loving awful, its sad to know there are many people being taken advantage of because they don't know any better, not their fault you know?

Depending on the dealership and salesperson it certainly can be their loving fault. A couple of friends of mine bought a used Prius, got an extended warranty, and then had the amazing 'luck' of actually getting a HV battery pack failure. They swore up and down that it was just fine because their extended warranty covered it, so I asked for the paperwork (which included the brochure from the dealership). Spent 30 seconds browsing through it and found that the salesperson had even helpfully circled the fact that the HV battery is not covered, even though it's pretty much the single most expensive repair a Prius can have. Luckily for them, it was still (barely) within the Toyota factory warranty on the battery.

They're people who I certainly would expect to understand what they're doing and what they're getting into, but for whatever reason when "warranty" and "repair costs" come up, it is extremely easy to hear what you want to hear. Read that fine print very carefully, and realize that $2k would be better off placed in a savings account to pay for a repair, instead of buying a warranty that might not cover the repair.

Yinzer posted:

I mean they expect people to be out of warranty within 4. years. They sell em on cars which pass a certain dealer inspection to be between 40-60k miles.

This "inspection" basically means someone traded it in, they took a look and didn't find anything horrifyingly wrong with it, and it has low enough mileage to meet Ford's criteria for selling the warranty. That's it. No mechanic spent hours lovingly poring over every inch of the car to ensure it is as close to factory spec as possible, no matter how much CPO marketing agencies try to convince you otherwise.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yinzer posted:

The car I'm looking to get is a '03 Grand Marquis and its gonna be due for the big 60k service.

You're literally buying a fancy cop car / cab. Extremely well documented, simple to work on. Any mechanic with most of a functioning brain can keep one on the road as long as you'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

While I don't disagree that how they handled that (and moreso, handled you as a customer with effectively still a brand-new car) was pretty poo poo, I do bet that Honda probably makes them go through some extremely thorough diagnostics. There are very few reasons a car with that few miles should need a new head. :stare:

• Locked thread