Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Look, I'm like the rest of AI. I do all my own work, always.

The girlfriend drives a 2010 elantra with 50k miles. It's never even needed brake pads, and the dealer changes her oil and rotates the tires for free, so aside from an air filter I've never put my hands on it.

A few months ago I noticed when driving it that it seemed to disconnect between 2nd and 3rd gear. Called the dealer, had them check it out, sure enough, needs a transmission. drat you, automatics. :argh: But wahoo, warranty :dance:

So she drops it off, they put a transmission in it, and they give her the typical BS list of crap that it 'needs' to have done asap.

Typical. But then she says,

:v: "Oh they also said a few studs are stripped on the wheel"
:confused: What?
:v: "Yeah, they said it might have been overtorqued?"
:confused: Yeah no poo poo, probably gunned it down too tight. Did they fix it?
:v: "No, they want $90 for it"
:confused: For what? But they'll give it back to you? No way they'd give it back to you unsafe to drive.

Sure enough, they hand her the keys to go home. And then she sends me this pic:

I didn't notice the pic for about 5 minutes. I've never called somebody so fast. STOP DRIVING NOW

Luckily she had gotten home OK. But she sure as hell isn't going anywhere like that.

I called the guy who wrote the work order:

:mad: Hello, I would like to talk to the person who took care of invoice XYZ
:q: That would be me!
:mad: Ok, this is my girlfriends car, I understand something was wrong with the wheel studs?
:q: Yep, we recommended that they be replaced
:mad: Why?
:q: There was some damage to them, probably overtorqued.
:mad: So how bad is it? It's not missing lug nuts is it?
:q: Oh of course not. But she should have it replaced. Maybe has some ugly threading on it.
:mad: I'm looking at a picture of 2 broken studs...

Here he started backtracking hard. Insisted she wanted to drive the car home despite them insisting that it be fixed. Yeah, bull poo poo. Nevermind that their dealership had been doing the tire rotations for 4 years...

So. Any advice on how to move forward here? At the very least the car needs to be picked up, towed back to the dealer, and all 20 studs replaced. If they're torquing them that tight I don't trust any of the other studs.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

slidebite posted:

3 out of 5 isn't good, but really it isn't like its a miracle she made it home OK.

To you and everybody else who said this:

No.

No.

You know why? Because the two lugs were tightened so hard they broke the studs, which means there's a drat good chance that the remaining three are to the point where they are yielding, all while holding a lot more load than they would see normally.

Let's just say showing that photo to the stress analysts at work (I'm in aircraft design) got some VERY concerned looks.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

aventari posted:

I feel your pain Blaise, don't let the fuckers get away with it. Make them fix the studs for free if they're the only ones that touch the car

I'm really pissed for so many reasons. I'd never let anybody touch my cars or hers because its not their safety on the lines. But in this case, no way I was gonna put a transmission in it for her. Surely they could get it right?

Nope.

And of course the guy who gave her the work order insisted that she have the timing belt done today because it was in bad shape. He kept telling her over and over, he was really concerned about it.

The car has 55k miles. Hyundai recommends the service done at 90k. And you don't inspect the timing belt while replacing a transmission.

All that talk about a timing belt and barely a mention of you know, the studs being BROKEN.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
No recourse. Just throw a new stud on there and don't let them touch it again.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

netwerk23 posted:

Are they the type of studs you can just hammer out? If so I'd just replace them and move on.

Yep, sure is. Would be easy if I wasn't 3000 miles away on business.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

goatse guy posted:

Most dealerships do pay attention to their reviews on Google, Yelp, Dealerrater, facebooks, etc. It's hard to ignore them when our vendors are constantly pushing their own personal rating sites on us. At the dealerships I've worked at, they do try to resolve issues with people who leave lovely reviews.

Yep, the only reason I just got a callback from the owner was because of a scathing facebook review.

The guy had the audacity to ask the gf to drive the car back in its current condition. No.
And then said they'll replace the 2 broken studs. No. All 5, buddy. He didn't understand why.

:wtf: really? You're arguing with me over $3 in parts. :wtf:

UPDATE

A month later, I replaced the front brakes on the car. Did he replace all 5 studs? Nope. Just lied lied lied that he would, and replaced 2.

They will do anything to save $3. Anything.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 7, 2015

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

ThinkFear posted:

gently caress, I'd be pushing for all 20. If they monkeyfucked those studs, what makes you think that the others didn't get the same treatment...

It really doesn't matter to be honest. I don't trust their workmanship one bit. I'll replace all 20. It's worth the $20 and the afternoon of work.

Never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
For added hilarity, I recently took this same car in for service for a new upstream O2 sensor. Not that I wouldn't do this on my own, but its at 59,600 miles, so why not get a free sensor for it while I'm not working and it's under warranty?

So I head down to a different dealer. I settle into the waiting room of disparity. There's bad coffee, worse TV, and general sadness in the air. It's 7:55AM. I'm told it'll take a few hours for the car to be serviced.

11:35 rolls around. I notice the car is out front. I walk up to the service advisor, and ask to check out.

"Yep, that sensor isn't in stock, so we will give you a call when it does."

Me: Um, what? What did I sit here for for over 3 hours for? I brought it in for a new upstream sensor. You couldn't tell me that then?

"Sorry sir, we had to check the diagnosis, we usually stock it, but not today"

Me: Listen man, every local NAPA/autozone/etc stocks this part. You're telling me I just wasted half a day here for this?

"Yes"

It took them 3 more business days to call me that the sensor came in. Now I can drive it back over there and sit around for another half a day while they put it in. Mind you it's a 10 second job, the sensor is squarely on the top of the manifold and clearly visible when you pop the hood.

I should have just paid the $120 for a new sensor. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bonus Content: At one point, having left the waiting room for the sales room to find a quiet place to read, I overheard several employees discussing a problem. Apparently, a woman had purchased a brand new car from the dealership and dropped it off for an oil change and tire rotation. The techs couldn't get the lug nuts off, and they were debating whether to charge her $119.99 for a new set of lug nuts. As I scratched my head at the absolute ridiculousness and lack of logic presented, one of the smarter ones asked, "well, even if we charge her for new lug nuts, how will they get the old ones off?"

Seriously, I don't understand how this is the norm. Yes, they charged her the $119.99. No I don't know how they got the lugs off.

• Locked thread