Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pissflaps posted:

Sh'more stuffing? Grits?

What do you people do for dessert where we would have a christmas pudding?

what the gently caress is sh'more stuffing?

also, i suggest pies for dessert - americans loooooove pies at holiday meals. pumpkin would be okay, even at christmas, or a custard. bread pudding would also be acceptable, preferably made with bourbon.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Spousal request to do Turchetta instead of a regular deep fried turkey has been denied. I was going to do the breast as Turchetta and smoke the dark quarters.
I feel pretty devastated that I wasn't allowed to do this, maybe to the point of posting in EN about it.

Would I be dumb to do a deep fried turkey in addition to a small Turchetta?

are you doing the cooking? i am a little bit appalled that you have to ask permission for what to cook. were i you (feel free to say no), i'd buy two smaller local or heritage turkeys, and make one each way. don't do a giant bird for frying and then another smaller one, just do two smaller ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

mediaphage posted:

are you doing the cooking? i am a little bit appalled that you have to ask permission for what to cook.

Are you married?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

d3rt posted:

Are you married?

yes.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Then why are you appalled that in a partnership, folk would communicate with each other about what they want and don't want for an important holiday? This is normal communication in my marriage.

Back on topic,

I finished the turkey and chicken stock this weekend. Used 2 turkey wings, 2 turkey legs and about 10 chicken wings. The usual onion, carrot and celery went in as well with whole black peppercorns and some fresh parsley. The house smelled so good, it was kind of disappointing in a way because there was no reward for that delicious smell. After removing the fat it went straight into the freezer.

I think I need a bigger stock pot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

d3rt posted:

Then why are you appalled that in a partnership, folk would communicate with each other about what they want and don't want for an important holiday? This is normal communication in my marriage.

there is a huge difference between what you just described and having to ask permission and be so upset you're posting about it on the internet.

d3rt posted:

I think I need a bigger stock pot.

i think this constantly but i hate the idea of having to store it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mediaphage posted:

there is a huge difference between what you just described and having to ask permission and be so upset you're posting about it on the internet.

I think his EN comment was a joke.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Doing a friendsgiving pseudo potluck, current menu stands at:

Turkey*
Spaghetti squash

Sweet potato dinner rolls*
Apple and sausage stuffing *
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potato mash
Potatoes gratin
Brussel sprouts
Cranberry sauce
Other mystery stuffings
Pumpkin muffins
Stuffed mushrooms

Apple pie
Chocolate pecan pie
Guiness ice cream
Vanilla ice cream*
Pistachio ice cream *
Nutella swirl chocolate chip cookies

Have somewhere around 20 people coming. Is there something glaring I am missing? Turkey is probably going to go at 225F for the day after brining (more for kitchen limitations than any other reason). Ice cream is all being made fresh. Potluck effect created 3 different potato dishes, not the end of the world. I feel like I should have some other simple cookies for dessert for people who just want a bite of something, maybe some more greens than the brussel sprouts as sides? Starred stuff are my contributions.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ultimate Mango posted:

Spousal request to do Turchetta instead of a regular deep fried turkey has been denied. I was going to do the breast as Turchetta and smoke the dark quarters.
I feel pretty devastated that I wasn't allowed to do this, maybe to the point of posting in EN about it.

Would I be dumb to do a deep fried turkey in addition to a small Turchetta?

yes because why would you make a "turchetta"?

just make a galantine or something some other day, and just cook a normal turkey for thanksgiving. it's pretty much the only thing the day is for! don't get me wrong, I love galantines and stuffed rolled poultry, it just seems unnecessarily contentious to mess with newfangled fancypants poo poo on a traditional eating day.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Krazy Kenji has figured out how to roast a whole turkey, non-spatchcocked, using a half sheet with a baking steel instead of a roasting pan, in case somebody insists on a whole bird

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/best-way-to-roast-turkey-baking-stone-steel-no-roasting-pan-crisp-skin-juicy-meat.html

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Krazy Kenji has figured out how to roast a whole turkey, non-spatchcocked, using a half sheet with a baking steel instead of a roasting pan, in case somebody insists on a whole bird

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/best-way-to-roast-turkey-baking-stone-steel-no-roasting-pan-crisp-skin-juicy-meat.html

Kenji is the only guy at serious eats still worth a drat

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

GrAviTy84 posted:

This 100 times over. Now that he's in San Fran it's only a matter of time before he ditches like everyone else did.

:(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

This 100 times over. Now that he's in San Fran it's only a matter of time before he ditches like everyone else did.

:(

agreed with grav and you, even though i had no idea he'd moved to SF. sort of a shame; i like when internet companies don't actually insist on moving there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

I wasn't aware there were any others before?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
This will be my first time being in charge of the entire Thanksgiving meal.

Sous-Vide Turkey Breast
Turkey Leg Roulade
Gravy
Ciabatta, Sausage, and Sage Stuffing
Garlic Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Whipped Sweet Potatoes
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Maple Syrup, Pecans
Citrus and Beet Salad
Cranberry Sauce
Brioche Rolls
Pecan Pie

I'm gonna need SO MUCH BUTTER

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

kittenmittons posted:

I'm gonna need SO MUCH BUTTER

buy more than you need; you can always freeze extra.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Steve Yun posted:

I wasn't aware there were any others before?

Adam Kuban, he started Slice and A Hamburger Today. He left a year or two ago, though, before the exodus. Robyn Lee was cool as well. There were also a ton of regular contributing writers, either for for various cooking topics, or from various cities, and they have all been pretty much ignored into oblivion now too.

It's really sad how they have just destroyed themselves.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Adam Kuban, he started Slice and A Hamburger Today. He left a year or two ago, though, before the exodus. Robyn Lee was cool as well. There were also a ton of regular contributing writers, either for for various cooking topics, or from various cities, and they have all been pretty much ignored into oblivion now too.

It's really sad how they have just destroyed themselves.

Yeah, I still love the site for what it was (basically a repository of Kenji's work), but their shift to longer-form, more in-depth pieces has really tanked my enthusiasm for it. I honestly don't give a poo poo about the 29 varieties of coffee beans grown on the foothills of Kilimanjaro and their tasting notes. I'd rather read a short, entertaining review of a burger joint in Des Moines.

Aside from Kenji, the only other person I halfway enjoy is Daniel Gritzer, who's basically a more-boring Kenji without the intelligence or humor.

One person I'm glad they got rid of was that shitstain Will Gordon who reviewed fast food. People loved his work and I cannot for the life of me understand why.

I am glad that I hardly see pieces by Dennis Lee any more (if he even still contributes) as he's pretty insufferable too.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The Midniter posted:

Yeah, I still love the site for what it was (basically a repository of Kenji's work), but their shift to longer-form, more in-depth pieces has really tanked my enthusiasm for it. I honestly don't give a poo poo about the 29 varieties of coffee beans grown on the foothills of Kilimanjaro and their tasting notes. I'd rather read a short, entertaining review of a burger joint in Des Moines.

Aside from Kenji, the only other person I halfway enjoy is Daniel Gritzer, who's basically a more-boring Kenji without the intelligence or humor.

One person I'm glad they got rid of was that shitstain Will Gordon who reviewed fast food. People loved his work and I cannot for the life of me understand why.

I am glad that I hardly see pieces by Dennis Lee any more (if he even still contributes) as he's pretty insufferable too.

That Daniel guy is annoying as gently caress. He's obviously trying to be Kenji, but he comes off boring and desperate. He's trying to find revelations in cooking, and he's failing.

You have strong opinions about other people lol I didn't mind the fast food coverage, it was amusing. Though I HATED how Will Gordon's pieces always started with 2+ paragraphs of bullshit that I skipped every time. What didn't you like about Dennis Lee? I liked his lunch in the loop stuff. I liked him better than Nick Kindelsperger, who was the Chicago editor before they decided to get rid of anything regional.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

That Daniel guy is annoying as gently caress. He's obviously trying to be Kenji, but he comes off boring and desperate. He's trying to find revelations in cooking, and he's failing.

You have strong opinions about other people lol I didn't mind the fast food coverage, it was amusing. Though I HATED how Will Gordon's pieces always started with 2+ paragraphs of bullshit that I skipped every time. What didn't you like about Dennis Lee? I liked his lunch in the loop stuff. I liked him better than Nick Kindelsperger, who was the Chicago editor before they decided to get rid of anything regional.

fwiw idk if anyone here knows you used to write for them, too :p

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

GrAviTy84 posted:

fwiw idk if anyone here knows you used to write for them, too :p

That doesn't really matter. No one's told me how much they hated my stuff so cool lol

Though this all really has nothing to do with Thanksgiving cooking...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

That doesn't really matter. No one's told me how much they hated my stuff so cool lol

Though this all really has nothing to do with Thanksgiving cooking...

I know, I just wanted to humblebrag on your behalf

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

GrAviTy84 posted:

I know, I just wanted to humblebrag on your behalf

:3 Thanks, friend

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crusty Nutsack posted:

:3 Thanks, friend

Well that's pretty cool. I'm sure I hated your work, too :v:

(oh and I want to marry Niki Achitoff-Gray)

Okay I'll stop this derail now! Commence discussion of holiday cooking poo poo!

What's the most deceptively strong holiday alcoholic beverage I can concoct so I can get blitzed around my insufferable relatives on Thanksgiving without appearing to be guzzling straight liquor?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

What's the most deceptively strong holiday alcoholic beverage I can concoct so I can get blitzed around my insufferable relatives on Thanksgiving without appearing to be guzzling straight liquor?

some sort of punch. paging Kenning, resident punch expert.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The Midniter posted:

Punch with 151

hey Grav you make that crazy long aged eggnog right? That can get people pretty hosed up too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Punch with 151

hey Grav you make that crazy long aged eggnog right? That can get people pretty hosed up too.

Yeah I have a 2 year and a 1 year sitting in the fridge. Tastesgoodman

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm bringing dessert to my thanksgiving gathering, and I want to do an unusual spin on a familiar flavor. How does a pave made with layers of soft candied sweet potatoes and homemade "holiday spice" marshmallows, finished with a short round under the broiler and sprinkled with candied lemon zest sound? Obviously most of the cook time will be prior to assembly - I just want to get the marshmallows softened and a little melted.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I've been tasked with doing the turkey this year because I'm the one with the smoker. I was just going to brine it overnight and throw it on at 225 till the interior hits 160. Tell me why this is wrong and what I should do instead.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I need to get in on turkey chat too. I'm going to a friend's for Thanksgiving and her mom is apparently always very proud of her "so moist" (dry as gently caress) Turkey and I'm supposed to help her (without bruising her ego).

I'm going to see if I can get a proxy to convince her to brine it. Any expert advice on the exact logistics there would be appreciated. (If any old "how to brine turkey" webpage works, that's fine then.)

Any other bits I can contribute would be good too, as well as major no-nos to avoid. One time I had a turkey that was injected with duck fat before/during? cooking. It was a good turkey - so was the duck fat a good idea?

Finally - sidebar:

Thanksgiving sides traditionally don't seem to include anything light. A mixed greens salad, for example. Is there a culinary reason for this, or is it just tradition of "It's Thanksgiving and im gonna pour cream of mushroom soup over everything. awwwwww yeahhhhh."

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
So we are having 12 people at our house for Thanksgiving and I have a menu that I am happy with.

The wrinkle is: 2 of the people are vegan. They eat honey and don't freak out if things are "made in a facility" that processes milk or eggs, but otherwise they are full-on vegans. Any idea for vegan-friendly dishes? Here's what I have so far:

-mashed potatoes with fake butter instead of real
-roasted root vegetables with balsamic reduction
-vegan dessert from whole foods

That's all so far. Any ideas would be super helpful!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Croatoan posted:

Brining is stupid and just makes your meat waterlogged and salty. Besides it's a whole bunch of effort for very little payoff. Injection is the pro method to flavor and moisten a bird. Inject it with seasonings and fat like butter.

This guy gets it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

door Door door posted:

I've been tasked with doing the turkey this year because I'm the one with the smoker. I was just going to brine it overnight and throw it on at 225 till the interior hits 160. Tell me why this is wrong and what I should do instead.

Don't brine the bird. Salt it for sure, maybe inject it if you are into that kind of thing.

Don't go low and slow with turkey. The skin doesn't end up as nice and there isn't the kind of connective tissue in Turkey that needs low and slow cooking to break down. Smoke it hot. Will take less time, will have an awesome dark mahogany skin, and will taste awesome.

This is a pretty good place to start: http://virtualweberbullet.com/turkey7.html

I would pull at 140-145 personally, pulling at 160 is a recipe for dry turkey.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FaradayCage posted:

I need to get in on turkey chat too. I'm going to a friend's for Thanksgiving and her mom is apparently always very proud of her "so moist" (dry as gently caress) Turkey and I'm supposed to help her (without bruising her ego).

I'm going to see if I can get a proxy to convince her to brine it. Any expert advice on the exact logistics there would be appreciated. (If any old "how to brine turkey" webpage works, that's fine then.)

Any other bits I can contribute would be good too, as well as major no-nos to avoid. One time I had a turkey that was injected with duck fat before/during? cooking. It was a good turkey - so was the duck fat a good idea?

Here you go. Protip: dry brine. Avoid a wet brine. Dry brining is also much less intimidating to traditional sawdusturkey aficionados.

quote:

Finally - sidebar:

Thanksgiving sides traditionally don't seem to include anything light. A mixed greens salad, for example. Is there a culinary reason for this, or is it just tradition of "It's Thanksgiving and im gonna pour cream of mushroom soup over everything. awwwwww yeahhhhh."

The latter. We didn't exterminate the native population of this country for some salad.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Ishamael posted:

The wrinkle is: 2 of the people are vegan. They eat honey and don't freak out if things are "made in a facility" that processes milk or eggs, but otherwise they are full-on vegans. Any idea for vegan-friendly dishes? Here's what I have so far:

What do they say they typically have for Thanksgiving?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ishamael posted:

So we are having 12 people at our house for Thanksgiving and I have a menu that I am happy with.

-mashed potatoes with fake butter instead of real
-roasted root vegetables with balsamic reduction
-vegan dessert from whole foods

For the dessert you could probably do a fruit pie or a pecan pie. You can either make or get a crust using shortening. Just make sure you use vegan sugar. Do you know if they're bringing anything with them?

If you have a lot of free time and feel like expending effort you should make this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-food-lab-introducing-vegetables-wellington-vegan-holiday-roast.html

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I have asked them to bring a vegan dessert. I really dont know what she does for thanksgiving, she isn't very into food (she took a 3-week trip through China and ate white rice and power bars the whole time).

I am not super worried about catering the whole meal to them, I just want to have a few options to be considerate. Besides a salad,root veggies and potatoes I am not sure what to provide. In my mind, thanksgiving is about comfort food, which is hard to get with veggies.

Eeyo posted:

For the dessert you could probably do a fruit pie or a pecan pie. You can either make or get a crust using shortening. Just make sure you use vegan sugar. Do you know if they're bringing anything with them?

If you have a lot of free time and feel like expending effort you should make this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-food-lab-introducing-vegetables-wellington-vegan-holiday-roast.html

Wow. That is insanity, and actually looks really good. But I don't think I will have the time or desire to spend that much effort on something that most people won't eat. Thanks for the idea though!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ishamael posted:

(she took a 3-week trip through China and ate white rice and power bars the whole time).

:psyboom:

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Ishamael posted:

I have asked them to bring a vegan dessert. I really dont know what she does for thanksgiving, she isn't very into food (she took a 3-week trip through China and ate white rice and power bars the whole time).

I am not super worried about catering the whole meal to them, I just want to have a few options to be considerate. Besides a salad,root veggies and potatoes I am not sure what to provide. In my mind, thanksgiving is about comfort food, which is hard to get with veggies.

Something we've always done in my family is green beans with toasted slivered almonds. Doesn't require much effort and is definitely vegan.

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...

Ishamael posted:

I would recommend butternut squash risotto (use vegan butter and no cheese) or stuffed acorn squash. This may also give you some ideas: http://mydarlingvegan.com/2014/11/vegan-thanksgiving-meal-round-up/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Here you go. Protip: dry brine. Avoid a wet brine. Dry brining is also much less intimidating to traditional sawdusturkey aficionados.

Alright, sounds like a plan. I'll merge the dry-brine with Alton Brown's procedure (since it doesn't gently caress around too much).

1.) Dry brine the night before.
2.) Prepare protective breastplate from aluminum foil
3.) Blast at 500 degrees for 30 minutes
4.) Apply breastplate and reduce heat to 350 degrees.
5.) Pull when breast hits 161 degrees.
6.) Rest 10 minutes.
7.) Become the family hero.

Hopefully she's not married to the idea of stuffing the turkey and I can just pop in some aromatics. I have my doubts though. Any idea what problems stuffing might cause?

Also I'm definitely cooking my duck this weekend so I'm going to have duck fat. Re-pinging the question of whether or not to inject?

• Locked thread