Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Since I wasn't in charge of Thanksgiving, plus we all kinda got into a bit of :effort: territory thanks to my mom being sick and also having a sick 6-month-old sapping everybody's energy, I didn't get to do much in the way of adventurous cooking.

We had some pretty good success with a smaller apple pie made in the toaster oven, top crust got pretty brown but not horribly overdone.

I also made stock for the first time ever with the turkey carcass. Just tossed the carcass in the crockpot with some water, a couple bay leaves (that may have not done much because those dried leaves have been in mom's cupboard for god knows how long), I think I put in some dried basil, and some garlic powder. Just let that sit on low overnight, and it certainly smells good, so here's hoping it's as good as it smelled. Wish I'd had some veggies to throw in there too, but I think it did well enough, especially since the wings went in there whole, skin, meat, and all, since none of us really felt much like fighting what meat are on the wings off of them.

I've got a Christmas potluck I'm thinking of making the sweet potato rolls someone linked the recipe to over in the quick questions thread, and might make them for family too if they go over well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

taiyoko posted:

I also made stock for the first time ever with the turkey carcass. Just tossed the carcass in the crockpot with some water, a couple bay leaves (that may have not done much because those dried leaves have been in mom's cupboard for god knows how long), I think I put in some dried basil, and some garlic powder. Just let that sit on low overnight, and it certainly smells good, so here's hoping it's as good as it smelled. Wish I'd had some veggies to throw in there too, but I think it did well enough, especially since the wings went in there whole, skin, meat, and all, since none of us really felt much like fighting what meat are on the wings off of them.

I've got a Christmas potluck I'm thinking of making the sweet potato rolls someone linked the recipe to over in the quick questions thread, and might make them for family too if they go over well.

Hooray about the sweet potato rolls! They are my go to bread recepie when im feeling fancy.

Your stock might be a little weak with just the carcas, but if it smells good, it probably tastes good too. Taste it and see. Worstershire does wonder for a flavor boost.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking for some advice on if I should do this or not:

For thanksgiving, my relatives made a dry turkey and all the old trimmings you can think of. To compensate, I made some sous vide carrots which went over well.

I'm thinking of doing the deep fried turkey porchetta for Christmas and wowing them with that. A few things though:

I did this last year at my house on an electric stove with little problem. I had a bit too much oil in the pan, but nothing spilled over.

My relatives have a gas stove-not sure how that will effect things.

I plan on doing the sous vide at my house, then bringing the wok, oil, and turkey over to their place for the final fry. I'll sous vide the day before and refrigerate overnight.

So-what to do with the large amount of oil? I could stick the wok outside after cooking for the oil to cool and then throw it away there.

I'm not sure how the gas range will affect it. Where I live now, I have a gas stove, but I'm travelling right now and won't be back until December 18th when I could do a trial run...that's a lot of porchetta to eat in a week long time frame.

Am I crazy for thinking to try this?

I worry about the oil boiling over, catching the gas stove on fire, and turning it into a major event that I'd rather avoid...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

Looking for some advice on if I should do this or not:

For thanksgiving, my relatives made a dry turkey and all the old trimmings you can think of. To compensate, I made some sous vide carrots which went over well.

I'm thinking of doing the deep fried turkey porchetta for Christmas and wowing them with that. A few things though:

I did this last year at my house on an electric stove with little problem. I had a bit too much oil in the pan, but nothing spilled over.

My relatives have a gas stove-not sure how that will effect things.
Have a fry thermometer/candy or laser thermometer? Problem solved. Keep it between 350-400°F

quote:

So-what to do with the large amount of oil? I could stick the wok outside after cooking for the oil to cool and then throw it away there.
Let it cool on the stove. You don't want to risk the chance of 350°F liquids spilling. It's more dangerous than boiling water.

quote:

I'm not sure how the gas range will affect it. Where I live now, I have a gas stove, but I'm travelling right now and won't be back until December 18th when I could do a trial run...that's a lot of porchetta to eat in a week long time frame.
I have a gas range, don't know if there's any reason why it should be different, for frying at least.

quote:

I worry about the oil boiling over, catching the gas stove on fire, and turning it into a major event that I'd rather avoid...
Use a $10 thermometer, make sure it stays below 400°F. Oil catching on fire is not a problem unless you either are acting stupid and shake the wok around or let it get above 450°F for several minutes.

If anything the problem might be keeping the oil hot enough, if your turkey breast is large. One large breast I did dropped below 325 and never recovered above 350 even with the gas on high.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 5, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Steve Yun posted:

Have a fry thermometer/candy or laser thermometer? Problem solved. Keep it between 350-400°F

Let it cool on the stove. You don't want to risk the chance of 350°F liquids spilling. It's more dangerous than boiling water.

I have a gas range, don't know if there's any reason why it should be different, for frying at least.

Use a $10 thermometer, make sure it stays below 400°F. Oil catching on fire is not a problem unless you either are acting stupid and shake the wok around or let it get above 450°F for several minutes.

If anything the problem might be keeping the oil hot enough, if your turkey breast is large. One large breast I did dropped below 325 and never recovered above 350 even with the gas on high.

I do have a candy thermometer and laser thermometer, which is what I used last time.

You brought up a good point-I know on my gas stove it takes forever to boil water, where with an electric it is much quicker and all that heat is stored on the coils, for lack of a better explanation. I know when I did it the last time on the electric, it did drop a good amount, but it recovered fairly quickly. The main thing was keeping the lid on the wok while it spurted all over the place...without that lid, it would have been a huge hazard.

Maybe I'll try and do a test run if time allows.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Buy a kitchen fire extinguisher if you're worried. Everyone should have one anyway.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

d3rt posted:

Buy a kitchen fire extinguisher if you're worried. Everyone should have one anyway.

I just ripped my grandmother's off the wall that has been in the red for years to replace with a new one. Now to get it recharged and stuck upstairs to have one on each floor.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 6, 2014

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

It sounds like maybe you should just get a larger wok (or other deep, large pot)? You don't need to use more oil, but it will give you more insurance against splashing/overflow.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Like the last few years, I'm throwing my annual Swedish Christmas Dinner Party this year. Because of my living situation (Southern California is expensive for a recent divorcee so now I have a roommate), I asked a couple of friends who live in a big house if I could host at their place and they said yes. Looking forward to using their big-rear end 5-burner stove and luxurious immense amount of counter space.

For ~25 people, I'm making:

Marinated herring (4 kinds - mustard, garlic, matjes, and orange/juniper)
Cured salmon (gravlax) with hovmästarsås (mustard/vinegar/dill sauce)
Baked ham covered with mustard and breadcrumbs (griljerad skinka)
Meatballs (made with pork/beef and allspice)
Prince sausages (prinskorvar - small sausages, pan fried)
Västerbottenpaj - a cheese quiche with herbs
Janssons Frestelse - "Jansson's Temptation" which is potatoes, anchovies, onions, and cream baked with a breadcrumb topping
Stewed kale
Brussels sprouts
Hard boiled eggs with herring roe
Vörtbröd - homemade dark rye bread
Knäckebröd cracker bread
Assorted cheeses
Soft gingerbread cake with whipped cream
Mulled wine (glögg)
Aquavit shots

I started cooking things last night and the party is Saturday. I'm so happy I found both ham and prince sausages at IKEA (together with the marinated herring and some lingonberry jam).

Excited and terrified all at once.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I'm doing a Polish Christmas. How does this sound:
Golabki - Main
Pierogi - we'll make a few different kinds. Loaded mashed potato, mushroom & onion, nutella and ricotta
Placki - side
Pączki - dessert

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 14, 2014

Taye Diggs
Aug 12, 2013

Holla at yo boy
as someone who is one-eighth Polish, and thus not really qualified to make a cultural comment at all, sounds delish! especially the Pierogi options

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm leaning toward using the King Arthur tourtière recipe as a base for Christmas supper with a cold water dough. Any better suggestions before I prep a couple to freeze tonight?

The full meal will be simple with the meat pies, a bread puddin with rumnsauce to top, gravy, brown sauce, turnip or rutebega, and mulled mead.

E: Filling ready to pack into a brace of pies once the dough is rolled.

Added some fresh ground allspice to the recipe and ground whole cloves/thyme in the trusty mortar while at it. And bloomed the spices in the meat drippings before sweating the onion/celery.

And glamour shot of Boston butt grindery in the end of the kitchen still in need of final zoning.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 15, 2014

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Since I am a sad, lonely person with a small family (3 people), and not particularly enamored of turkey, I am thinking of making a turkey breast this year. Any suggestions or advice? I am looking to get a fresh turkey breast with bone in and skin on, and do a simple dry rub with salt, garlic, and pepper.

I am also tempted to lay some strips of bacon on top of the baking turkey breast, because I am that kind of dude.

We also have a ham.

I am thinking of making some kind of mushroom and cheese hotdish for a side, possibly with tater tots. Or alternatively, hasselback potatoes Au gratin.

Also thinking of some schmaltz herring and beets.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

ascendance posted:

I am also tempted to lay some strips of bacon on top of the baking turkey breast, because I am that kind of dude.

Can I suggest that, if you're looking for a way to add some fat and moisture, you use duck fat instead? This past Thanksgiving, I made a duck because I was only cooking for three, but I was making a turkey for a late family Thanksgiving the following Saturday. I saved all the duck fat and injected a bunch of it into the turkey breast; I rubbed the remaining fat under and on the turkey skin. The turkey came out great and I would recommend it.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

mediaphage posted:

The only right answer here is buttermilk dinner rolls.

Challah is somewhat-acceptable second choice.

What about Hawaiian rolls? They tend to have a bit of sweet flavor that goes well with most turkey based meals.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
I am trying to consider what to make for Christmas dinner yet. I am some what tired of the old Ham and Turkey meals that everyone grew up with. I'm working on a bit of a budget and would like to keep the entire meal under $250.(not sure if that a high budget or not) Looking to cook for about 20 people. Anyone have suggestions?

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Bigfabdaddy posted:

I am trying to consider what to make for Christmas dinner yet. I am some what tired of the old Ham and Turkey meals that everyone grew up with. I'm working on a bit of a budget and would like to keep the entire meal under $250.(not sure if that a high budget or not) Looking to cook for about 20 people. Anyone have suggestions?

The $250 budget includes beverages also.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The biggest prime rib you can find, no sides, Yuengling to drink.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Never thought about making it a BBQ. That opens lots of possibilities.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I am in charge this year of making our traditional Christmas morning egg dish. The recipe calls for 1 can of cheddar cheese soup, thinned with 1/2 to 3/4 cup half and half. I am considering making my own cheese sauce instead. I have made cheese sauces before for homemade mac and cheese using simply milk, flour, butter, and cheddar cheese, but it has a tendency to be thick and stretchy instead of a creamy sauce that could be poured. Does anyone have any tips, with regards to ingredients and technique, for a cheese sauce that could be poured over the dish? Here is the recipe in case anyone is interested:

1 dozen eggs, deviled
1 lb ham, diced
1 large can of mushrooms (I am going to saute some fresh ones)
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1/2 to 3/4 cup half and half
Croutons

Spray 9x13 pan, arrange egg halves and cover with ham and mushrooms. Thin the soup with the cream and pour on top. Bake at 350 for 30 mins, sprinkle with croutons and bake 15 minutes more. Schedule angioplasty.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Gorson posted:

I am in charge this year of making our traditional Christmas morning egg dish. The recipe calls for 1 can of cheddar cheese soup, thinned with 1/2 to 3/4 cup half and half. I am considering making my own cheese sauce instead. I have made cheese sauces before for homemade mac and cheese using simply milk, flour, butter, and cheddar cheese, but it has a tendency to be thick and stretchy instead of a creamy sauce that could be poured. Does anyone have any tips, with regards to ingredients and technique, for a cheese sauce that could be poured over the dish? Here is the recipe in case anyone is interested:

1 dozen eggs, deviled
1 lb ham, diced
1 large can of mushrooms (I am going to saute some fresh ones)
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1/2 to 3/4 cup half and half
Croutons

Spray 9x13 pan, arrange egg halves and cover with ham and mushrooms. Thin the soup with the cream and pour on top. Bake at 350 for 30 mins, sprinkle with croutons and bake 15 minutes more. Schedule angioplasty.

Sorry, but that sounds absolutely hideous. So you end up with a dish of deviled eggs floating in cheese soup with bits of ham and croutons?? I just can't even picture how that becomes some sort of cohesive thing. May I suggest finding a new Xmas morning casserole? There's plenty out there that are like savory bread puddings, and you can add ham, cheddar and mushrooms. Or instead of bread, I think some people use frozen hash browns and then pour the eggs/toppings on top. (And of course quiche and fritattas.)

If you MUST make this thing though, get yourself some sodium citrate and make modernist cheese sauce. Just milk (or water, beer, etc), cheese and sodium citrate. Sodium citrate is what makes velveeta "processed" cheese, so the sauce is smooth and flowing just like velveeta or American cheese. Though, I kind of feel like you're wasting perfectly good cheese sauce on this thing...

edit: honestly I'm sorry but that is really one of the worst recipes I've ever seen, please don't make that.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Sorry, but that sounds absolutely hideous. So you end up with a dish of deviled eggs floating in cheese soup with bits of ham and croutons?? I just can't even picture how that becomes some sort of cohesive thing. May I suggest finding a new Xmas morning casserole? There's plenty out there that are like savory bread puddings, and you can add ham, cheddar and mushrooms. Or instead of bread, I think some people use frozen hash browns and then pour the eggs/toppings on top. (And of course quiche and fritattas.)

If you MUST make this thing though, get yourself some sodium citrate and make modernist cheese sauce. Just milk (or water, beer, etc), cheese and sodium citrate. Sodium citrate is what makes velveeta "processed" cheese, so the sauce is smooth and flowing just like velveeta or American cheese. Though, I kind of feel like you're wasting perfectly good cheese sauce on this thing...

edit: honestly I'm sorry but that is really one of the worst recipes I've ever seen, please don't make that.

Tell me how you really feel. Thanks for the advice.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Gorson posted:

Tell me how you really feel. Thanks for the advice.

I was nicer than a lot of folks here would have been. Get sodium citrate, make cheese sauce, impress your family. Then make mac and cheese and queso dip.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was going to suggest a sodium citrate using cheese sauce. And incorporate/blend it with a stick blender and it wont be stretchy.

Also I'm really trying hard not to be judgey of that recipe but drat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Question about the Grandma that created that recipe: At what point did the family realize she had a drinking problem?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I was nicer than a lot of folks here would have been. Get sodium citrate, make cheese sauce, impress your family. Then make mac and cheese and queso dip.

Don't worry I'm not offended. It's not my favorite dish but it is tradition and the older folks in my family like it. They also like lutefisk :iiam:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

So we just decided today that we're doing xmas at our place for the first time, since plans with parental units changed this year. I have no idea what to make since we don't really have anything traditional for xmas dinner, except my late grandma's buffet of mostly crap. I think I'm going to keep it casual buffet style, but that's all I know. One parent doesn't eat anything with flavor (seriously, things with dried herbs "aggrevate my ulcer" he had 30 years ago, and don't even think about onions or garlic), one person doesn't eat seafood, one is diabetic, one loves cooking lobster in the microwave but doesn't know what salmon is, and 2 eat anything (MY parents, thank god). I figured a buffet style will be easiest to accommodate the one who doesn't eat anything with flavor, cause we can have ham, and cheese, or something.

Also, cookies for dessert. But that's as far as I've gotten, ugh.

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 20, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Please review my menu for me. I am cooking for 5 adults and 2 kids. It's mostly a rehash of poo poo I made this year:

APPETIZER
- prosciutto roses
MAINS
- pork loin stuffed with dried fruit and wrapped in lotus leaves
- 72 hour shortribs
SIDES
- duckfat roasted potatoes
- mushroom risotto
- rataouille (confit byaldi)
- mac and cheese
- rolls
- some salad (undecided)
DESSERT
- dunno, sticky toffee pudding sounds good

Questions:
1: anything look totally off?
2: is that too much food for 5 adults and 2 kids? What would you drop if that's the case?
3: gravy for the pork loin or cumberland sauce?
4: when I made prosciutto roses before I used watermelon cubes as bases, what would make a good alternate? potato cubes? mochi? bread?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 21, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

We're hosting the family New Year's celebration this year which means we'll be in charge of the meal. I don't know how specific this is, but I was wondering if anyone here has any neat recipes that incorporate Christmas / New Years themes with traditional Korean meals. A lot of the folks coming are old and aren't too welcoming of anything that isn't identifiably Korean which is where I'm getting hung over.

We've already made preparations for the traditional rice cake soup, braised beef short ribs, and assorted Korean pancakes. What else would you guys recommend?

Beanage
Oct 17, 2014
For xmas ive been testing some dishes. I was givin a large sliced ham by my work so I guess Ill be making that, Im guessing ill just be tossing it in the oven to warm it up its still in the packaging so im guessing based on it being pre sliced and pre glazed its already cooked as well. Anyways on to what ive tested thus far.
Sweet potatoes with a splash of OJ. The OJ overpowered the sweet potatoes and made me feel like i was eating orange pulp, reguardless i thought it was gross.
Bacon and cauliflower gratin with goat cheese. I dont think i let it simmer for long enough, either way it was really good.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
So... Stuffing. Any tips and advice? How can I make stuffing I actually like?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ascendance posted:

So... Stuffing. Any tips and advice? How can I make stuffing I actually like?

what don't you like about stuffings you've had?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

GrAviTy84 posted:

what don't you like about stuffings you've had?
They don't look appetizing to me. Like a pile of brown mush.

But it won't be in a bird.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ascendance posted:

well that's kind of what it is, a pile of brown mush. I made some oyster dressing for thanksgiving. It owned. Make some of that.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/oyster-dressing-grand-mere

Beanage
Oct 17, 2014

ascendance posted:

Form brown mush into the shape of patties. For flavor use less salt and add bacon. Bacon makes mosts things better.

Beanage
Oct 17, 2014
Going to make steak tonight and try out another xmas side with it. Im making brussel sprouts with pecans any suggestions for it like spices/sauces.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Was at Costco today picking up my heretical turkey breast. Almost picked up a package of smoked oysters to make oyster dressing, but I don't think my FIL would approve.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I made latkes today. I ate mine with natto. It was good.

I think in the future, I'm going to dress latkes like okonomiyaki, with katsu sauce, bonito, seaweed and mayo.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

ascendance posted:

I think in the future, I'm going to dress latkes like okonomiyaki, with katsu sauce, bonito, seaweed and mayo.

Latkes + sour cream 4EVA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

ascendance posted:

Natto is the best.

• Locked thread