Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

(Shameless crossposting from the What Did You Cook Last Night Thread, because it's my christmas dinner and maybe to inspire people here too)

I usually like to do something different each Christmas; two years ago it was all Thomas Keller's French Laundry, last year was more American-style(-ish) with loads of different things on the table, and this year I thought I'd do some really old-school, dinosaur-rear end French cooking.

All dishes are courtesy of the wonderful French Kitchen cookbook by Michel Roux Jr - Credit where credit's due!

Starter: Oeufs Poche Carême

Invented by the Godfather in the depths of history. Trimmed and turned artichoke heart with salmon/chive/brandy/tabasco/mustard mayonnaise, poached egg, and smoked salmon

Soup: Chestnut and Apple Soup

Pretty straightforward, a classic of Corsican cooking - quite light and refreshing due to no cream or butter. The chestnuts provide the smooth finish themselves.

Fish Course: Filets de Sole Véronique

I don't think I've ever actually seen this on a menu, but it's a true classic of French cooking. Poached dover sole (holy gently caress that was expensive) with a reduced and mounted sauce, peeled white grapes and a few veggies for colour.

Meat Course: Rack of Roe Deer Fillet, Fresh and Pureed Chanterelle Mushroom and fried Roseval Potato

Not a classic French dish, but I love love love serving game at Christmas and a friend slipped me a rack of roe deer, which I took off the bone (for easier cooking) and served with mushrooms. Because you have to. I'd urge everyone everywhere not to cook loving turkey but any kind of game.

Cheese Course

Forgot to take the picture, but consisted of:
  • Raw Milk Brie
  • Testun de Barolo - aged goat/cow cheese with Barolo grape pressings on the outside
  • Buche de Pilat - soft goat's cheese, very mild
  • Cabrales, spicy Spanish blue cheese
  • Some very soft & strong French cheese that you need to scoop with a spoon - can't remember the name.

Dessert: Baba au Calvados

A play on the super-ancient and traditional Baba au Rum, it's roughly the same thing but you make an apple-based syrup instead. Served with chantilly cream, mashed apples and an apple glaze.

Also, I kinda whiffed how much they would expand in the oven, which is why it looks like a giant mushroom :)

Bonus for making it to the end of this post: Christmas Tree

Because real men use real candles, and not this horrid electric poo poo.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A good Christmas. Well done!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
I have to get up in the morning to make a turducken, but I'm still drinking from the christmas eve party...

Looks like it's going on the grill, because gently caress my oven, so I guess I'll be fighting with that all morning. I hope walmart is open tomorrow(today?) so I can get some charcoal! gently caress, balls.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Don't you have wood?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So much wood :dong:

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Don't you have wood?

I think all of the firewood we have is old and rotten, and also not suitable for cooking. Worst case scenario, I commandeer my Uncle's oven and cook it where it's going to be eaten. That doesn't let me sleep off a hangover though, so it's kind of a last resort...

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Forgive the terrible photo. Christmas Eve dinner. Shrimp, crab, and artichoke bisque. spinach and arugula salad with blue cheese, mandarin orange, apple, and walnuts. Little pastries with feta cheese and caramelized onions. Bread, apples, and dried apricots as a starter. We can'd be bothered to organize this into courses, it was take as you will. Turned out very nice.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Final menu for Christmas dinner:

Simple roast turkey breast
Apple, sage, and duxelles stuffing
Balsamic hasselback potatoes
Roasted garlic "neeps"

Having a Jewish friend over, and using that as a reasonable pretext to cut the cream and butter.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

So I slow roasted a whole beef tenderloin to a perfect medium rare, sliced it thin and served it with an herb sauce and crostini. It was delicious. But it hurt my heart so bad when I had to recook some slices in a pan for the idiot who won't touch pink meat :ssj:

one guy also ate a whole pound of tenderloin and he was the pity invite no one wanted around so I hope you enjoyed your $12 of beef, jerkface.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Made Cornish Hens on Christmas Eve and a Ribeye Roast for Christmas, neither of which I've made before. Both came out undercooked, but that was easily solved by throwing them back in for another 15 minutes.

Naturally, they came out loving delicious. Merry Christmas, goons!

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

KlavoHunter posted:

Made Cornish Hens on Christmas Eve and a Ribeye Roast for Christmas, neither of which I've made before. Both came out undercooked, but that was easily solved by throwing them back in for another 15 minutes.

Naturally, they came out loving delicious. Merry Christmas, goons!
Merry Christmas, and always use a thermometer.

Stupid button on my turkey popped out while the middle was at 140 F. Not so good for my pregnant wife.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Croatoan posted:

So I'm doing a Polish Christmas. How does this sound:
Golabki - Main
Pierogi - we'll make a few different kinds. Loaded mashed potato, mushroom & onion, nutella and ricotta
Placki - side (pretty much the same thing as latkes)
Paczki - dessert

This turned out great. My family used to do this as a tradition but it fell by the wayside as us kids all moved away. I've gotten to be a better cook as I get older and holy poo poo those were the best pierogies I've ever made. Everyone was blown away by the loaded mashed potato ones but I make those at home occasionally. The mushroom and onions were unbelievably good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Christmas dinner.

Sous vide turkey porchetta, modernist potato puree, sous vide glazed carrots, green beans with bacon and onion

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 27, 2014

• Locked thread