Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Spinach gratin sounds great and I will now do a kale gratin up here. I'm thinking:

- High roast turkey with a compound butter rub TBD.

- Pumpkin pie with maple syrup

- Small bowl of Glasgow punch

- Kale gratin

- Cold roast beets cooked a few days ahead and spritzed with vinegar and sliced pickled onion.

- Roast squash. May or may not be forced to mash them by my wife.

- Parker house rolls if I have time and energy, buttermilk biscuits if not.

- Stuffing prepped the day before, details TBD

- Whole cranberry sauce for me, smooth for my wife and most of the other guests.

- Homemade cultured butter for everything

- Gravy from the turkey drippings and giblets.

- Chunky mashed potatoes with sour cream, garlic, and plenty of freshly chopped chive.

- My father will surely bring a salad and green bean casserole.

Cranberry sauces, pie, roasting of beets and squash will surely be done beforehand. Suggestions welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My never ending move from hell refuses to let up, so some menu shuffling is in order.

Butch Cassidy posted:

- High roast turkey with a compound butter rub TBD.

- Pumpkin pie with maple syrup Outsourced. Guest will probably buy one, but, hey, free pie.

- Small bowl of Glasgow punch Make it a small crock of hot mulled cider with rum, citrus, and demerera.

- Kale gratin with onion, red chile flakes, and plenty of garlic.

- Cold roast beets cooked a few days ahead and spritzed with vinegar and sliced pickled onion. drat it.

- Add roast sweet potatoes.

- Roast squash. May or may not be forced to mash them by my wife. Yup, have to mash them.

- Parker house rolls if I have time and energy, buttermilk biscuits if not. My dad bought rolls hoping to help make my life easier. I'll accept them and can my bread plans rather than be rude. Parker House rolls can just be delayed to Christmas.

- Stuffing prepped the day before with sage, aromatic veggies, sausage, egg, and some homemade stock.

- Whole cranberry sauce for me, smooth for my wife and most of the other guests.

- Homemade cultured butter for everything. Ready to go.

- Gravy from the turkey drippings and giblets.

- Chunky mashed potatoes with sour cream, garlic, and plenty of freshly chopped chive. Make this mashed neeps and tatties with a little rutabaga and red potatoes. Undecided on seasoning.

- Might make a pressure cooker butternut squash soup, tonight or tomorrow.

I am definitely taking Thanksgiving-Eve as a vacation day, next year to lay out more of what I want on my own and defer most stress to a lazy kitchen day before turkey time.

E: Speaking of Christmas, I'm thinking Eggs Benedict for brunch with homemade hollandaise/English muffins and a prefab tourtière to stick in the oven and take it easy until dinner. Some simple roast veg. sides and Parker House rolls.

Any good ideas for a tourtière that will freeze okay beforehand and not be bland Canadachow?

As for New Year's Eve: Beef stew, no-knead bread bowls, bubbly, Three Stooges marathon.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 25, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

d3rt posted:

Buy a kitchen fire extinguisher if you're worried. Everyone should have one anyway.

I just ripped my grandmother's off the wall that has been in the red for years to replace with a new one. Now to get it recharged and stuck upstairs to have one on each floor.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 6, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm leaning toward using the King Arthur tourtière recipe as a base for Christmas supper with a cold water dough. Any better suggestions before I prep a couple to freeze tonight?

The full meal will be simple with the meat pies, a bread puddin with rumnsauce to top, gravy, brown sauce, turnip or rutebega, and mulled mead.

E: Filling ready to pack into a brace of pies once the dough is rolled.

Added some fresh ground allspice to the recipe and ground whole cloves/thyme in the trusty mortar while at it. And bloomed the spices in the meat drippings before sweating the onion/celery.

And glamour shot of Boston butt grindery in the end of the kitchen still in need of final zoning.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 15, 2014

• Locked thread