Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

What's everyone doing for stuffing? I need some inspiration. Sadly my mother is not on the oyster stuffing bandwagon, so that kind of throws my usual idea out the window.

I can't seem to move past what I grew up with. Boxed stuffing (I think Mrs Cubinson's brand) augmented with actual mirepoix (sauteed with butter) and browned pork sausage. Heretics have tried to add nuts or other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

d3rt posted:

Personally I'd skip boxed if the seasoning is already mixed in. I go with the big plastic bags of ready-made croutons then mix my own seasoning with sage, thyme, sea salt 'n fresh ground pepper, fresh parsley, chicken and/or turkey stock. Then the mirepoix with pork sausage + finely diced granny smith apple. I want to control the salt-to-bread ratio hence my own seasonings. Finally, I try to get a really nice browning on the top of the dressing like when you brown a lasagne.

This guy gets it. We don't use the seasoning that comes with it, just the croutons. We don't do the apple thing though.

Maybe I will try to Searzall the stuffing this year.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Spousal request to do Turchetta instead of a regular deep fried turkey has been denied. I was going to do the breast as Turchetta and smoke the dark quarters.
I feel pretty devastated that I wasn't allowed to do this, maybe to the point of posting in EN about it.

Would I be dumb to do a deep fried turkey in addition to a small Turchetta?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

door Door door posted:

I've been tasked with doing the turkey this year because I'm the one with the smoker. I was just going to brine it overnight and throw it on at 225 till the interior hits 160. Tell me why this is wrong and what I should do instead.

Don't brine the bird. Salt it for sure, maybe inject it if you are into that kind of thing.

Don't go low and slow with turkey. The skin doesn't end up as nice and there isn't the kind of connective tissue in Turkey that needs low and slow cooking to break down. Smoke it hot. Will take less time, will have an awesome dark mahogany skin, and will taste awesome.

This is a pretty good place to start: http://virtualweberbullet.com/turkey7.html

I would pull at 140-145 personally, pulling at 160 is a recipe for dry turkey.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Oh yeah I never posted my final menu. Here it is

Thanksgiving Menu:

Appetizers:
Cheese, fruit, charcuterie, baguette platter.
Lumpia (uncle bringing)
Deviled Eggs

Sides:
Oyster Dressing (2 trays)
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy (5 lbs, 15cups of gravy)
Cranberry Sauce (gonna blitz it in a blender for smooth jellied texture)
Spinach Gratin (1 tray)
Succotash, farro, squash, corn, pepper
dinner rolls
Warm roasted beets with orange vinaigrette.

Mains:
Turkey (spatchcocked)
Loin Porchetta

Desserts:
Sticky Toffee Pudding (1 tray)
Sweet potato and pumpkin pie (2)
Turon (uncle's bringing)
Bibingka (uncle's bringing)

How many people are you feeding? This is amazing.
My appetizer splurge this year was some Jamon Iberco de Belotta. It is taking all my willpower not to eat it right now.

• Locked thread