Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Dak Rugby, Scruntsite Massascrunt

Dak sits up, rubbing his eyes. Being a scrunt, the act of rubbing his eyes only made them dirtier. Once he's had a look around, he stands and rubs his eyes once more. Even though Dak had been skeptical about reaching the fabled SLAM SECTOR, he'd at least expected a better planet than THIS. Why, the only trash he could see is the trash they brought themselves! He waddles over in time to catch Pernicious Kreb's speech about catching a ride.

Dak sees Grumb Slanger head off to work on something.

"Oi, Grumb! And izzat Barry? Whatcha fellas got there?" Dak squats down to pick up a couple of interesting bones.

"A sign, eh? Lookin to get them u-mans nice n comfy? Then we BASH their 'eads in? Or shoot 'em in, I guess. Well, y'know I got yer back!"

Dak's mind immediately starts to wander due to hunger, and he swears he just heard the words "roast manflesh".

I support Grumb's plan, Dak sees lifting a tank out of a hole as way too much work. Even with all the Scrunts at their disposal, Dak knows it's tough to keep them focused. Also, Dak has no idea that Grumb doesn't like him. Dak thinks he and Grumb are friends since he fixed up Barry, even if he thinks Barry might have knicked one of his tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Couple quick things that you know in-character:

> If you block off the road with a hastily engineered rockslide, the Chimera will probably go around it rather than spitting everyone out to dig at boulders. As mentioned, it can drive through trees (probably slowly), but prefers open ground.

quote:

The Chimera will drive on roads for preference. If it cannot drive on roads, it will drive on grass. If not grass, then broken ground. If not broken ground, then through trees. Finally, if all else fails, it will drive on rocks.

(and by "drive on" I mean "through")

> Drivers and gunners are unlikely to leave their vehicles if the situation could be in any way unknown or hostile. The squad may come out to gawk at things but the APC will still be able to do its thing.

> If you can get close to the Chimera, you may be able to dash into/onto it before the turret can come into play. Even if you can't force a hatch you can still stuff firebombs etc. inside, or use tools on its hull.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Grimply, in the middle of the scrunt bicker

When Grimply hears Grump lay out his plan, he narrows his already narrow eyes and then snaps.

"Ya fackin git! Ya just stole part of me plan just like ya stole me food! Tha scruntfather curses ye facker!!"

After his outburst he immediately scoots off, so that Grumb can't punch him, and sits down near the wreckage to sulk and mutter more quiet curses under his breath. He calms down after a few minutes, and waddles back to the scrunt bicker. But he stays at the edge of it, and makes sure that there always is a scrunt between him and Grump. He also sees Scurrilous fondle and pet his fire bombs, and gives him an approving nod because humies are weak to fire.

In character, I hate Grumb's plan because it has some elements that are similar to mine, but out of character I like it because it has some elements that are similar to mine. Since we now know that we can't really block the Chimera with a tactical rockslide, using the hole as humie bait is our best shot for making them leave the APC. I mean, we could still try a decoy scrunt group that waves friendly at the Chimera, but I think they'll just get shot. Attacking the soldiers in the open should not be too difficult, since we have several weapons with longish ranges. It kinda all depends on if the humies leave the rear door open when they disembark, but I trust in the scruntfather to make that happen. With that said, firebombing the lot of them when they open the door could lead to good results, because they'll probably be too panicked to close the door again. But then our CQC scrunts will have to charge through the fire too. Lots of ifs and buts. So in short, I think hole bait is the way to go, while the CQC scrunts charge from the forest west of the hole since that is probably behind the chimera, while the shooty scrunts sit in the forest to the north, and can fall back to the buildings if the chimera shoots us too much. If the rear door is closed when the CQC scrunts reach it, Groins laser cutter could be used on the hull, Scurrilous fire bombs could hit the turret when the gunner is dumb enough to have the hatch open.

Willpower 22 vs [26(20+6)]

I don't get an insanity point, I think? Like, I'm still a little wonky on the dice mechanics, but since that D100 is lower than my stat, I succeeded, right?

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 11, 2014

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I dunno, I mean he said that the APC crew won't leave the chimera willingly, at best we'd get out the PDF squad then have to fight them and the chimera at the same time. I still think we should trap it in the hole then pull it out once it's dehumified, using our horde of hundreds of scrunts.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I mean, I'm using scruntlogic here. If space treasure isn't gonna get those umies out of their box, nothing will. You DO want the chimera in working condition, don't you? Falling into a 20-meter-deep hole is gonna gently caress it up something fierce. that's a 65 foot drop. I don't know we would even be able to retrieve it with just a horde of scrunts.

Plus, we've got grenades and a flamethrower. If they park close enough to the treeline, we can ambush them just as soon as the doors fly open.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 11, 2014

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

There'll be a helpful giant stake to arrest their fall, plus then we can pull the stake out and reverse it to give the chimera a giant ramming spike

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I would assume the humans are not dumb enough to drive into a hole unless expertly camoflauged. Im all for charging through fire and punching people though. Acquiring a working Chimera should be a distant secondary objective. Killing it will be hard enough.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

We could cover the pit with scrap metal, so they drive over it, then remove the scrap and have all the scrunts charge at once so they reverse back into the hole and the stake goes through the weaker rear armour

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Maybe I'm confused. Even if we block the road, how do we stop them from driving in one of the other, less suspicious directions? Are you proposing we block the road and every other route they might take? Idk if we even have that kind of time.

Seems to me that if they drove out here to investigate something that fell from space, we should let them!

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 11, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

If you recover a chimera in less-than-pristine condition it will still move so long as it has wheels and axles and scrunts to push it. Assuming you want it in somewhat functional capacity rather than as a mobile palanquin throne for you all, you have a technoscrunt, an operator who also has tech-use, and a lot of unskilled labour to help cobble it back together.

Don't be scared about loving up the chimera, because you can put it back together again. Obviously capturing it intact is going to be better than slamming a rockslide into it, as you don't need to spend time and resources fixing it - plus, a scrunt patch-up job will be worse than a mint condition chimera - but consider a mint-condition capture as a benefit, not an essential.

Dropping the chimera in a pit will gently caress it up pretty badly but you will be able to retrieve its husk for repairs.

Moola you cannot discern weakpoints with your bionic eye at this range, but you can probably do so if you get close with your auspex. As an operator you know the Chimera has seriously weakened armour on its underside and rear. In addition, you are familiar with this make of vehicle and will gain hefty bonuses to prying open the hatches from the outside. You also have a lascutter, dude.

Tin Tim, fire bombs do not create a carpet of flame - they explode and burn out. They can catch people on fire, and indeed probably will, but they will not pose a problem to charging into combat the next round - if you can bomb the chimera as troops disembark, you keep the panicked PDF, you lose scrunts having to charge through fire.

Waroduce, these are PDF troopers. They ain't exactly elite, and they're not expecting sinkholes. If you disguise the pit properly the odds are that the driver won't see the hole through his limited viewslit - the odds shift even more in your favour if he's going quickly (i.e. combat speed) rather than at a steady cruise.

FirstPersonShitter, a chimera falling onto a stake from 20m is probably going to get messed up no matter what side it falls on. You won't have time to whittle down a tree, but maybe you can find a big chunk of scrap metal from the drop pod that will fulfil the same role.

Keep it coming folks, feel free to query stuff or say "actually I think it should be like this".

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Well, I figured that the PDF troops aren't the sharpest and could be lured out of the Chimera. And in turn I didn't worry much about the actual crew, since they're also PDF and can't really engage us with the turret/heavy bolter when some scrunts are inside the Chimera and present a more pressing threat. But again, it circles back to the question if we can get inside the thing fast enough. Seeing how the "firebomb humies when they open the door, then charge for their balls" plan just became more likely to work, and how Groin can lasercut a scrunt shaped hole into it, I'd say it's likely that we can get inside fast enough. But I'm also a gambler, so I like a risky play like this. Trying get the Chimera into the hole is the safer play, at the cost of it being less mint than before. I'd be fine with that in the end, but my inner risk taker is telling me to chance it.

E: Granted, my plan could also include a flash of genious by the PDF driver, which backs up and rolls over our CQC charge if he's quick enough, or the fire bomb throw could be hosed up and we all get gunned down but :rolldice:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 11, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We need to come up with a reason for them to stop and get out, not simply make the Chimera move around an obstacle. That's gonna mean some Scrunts are going to need to be bait. Probably not any of us, but bait is gonna be important, Also I vote against anything that puts the Chimera in a hole. We could dig it out and I can most certainly put it back together, but I'd rather we end up with a working Chimera that I could upgrade.

Ambushing is the way to go. Firebombs would most likely take out most of them if we threw them en masse or used my makeshift bomb idea. After that gunning down the survivors should be easy.

I figure two Scrunts try and snipe out the pintle gunner, while the other four ambush the troopers as they disembark. Scurrilous can't throw far but he can shoot well with the hosed up scrunt laser.

So we have some scrunt orphans (scrorphans) stand in the middle of the road and hope the Chimera stops after splattering them. Then Scurrilous and Grimply provide cover support while the other four firebomb the troopers and then charge inside to kill the driver. Bing bong bing we have ourselves a pristine ride.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

why exactly are scrunts good bait, again?

since the driver and gunner aren't going to get out of their seats anyways, our best chance for an ambush is to try and control where the others stop and get out. If we draw their attention to a hole they can't investigate from inside the box, it gives us the best chance to spring out of hiding and burn the crew before they have a chance to respond. We know they'll stop near the hole.

If we leave a bunch of ugly mutants standing around, I don't see what incentive they have not to just shoot the mutants from the safety of their ride. They wouldn't have any reason to get out.

A "treasure" sign might also be suspicious (although Grumb doesn't see it this way), but at least they have to get out of their ride to get a look at the crater. Especially if we drop a smoke grenade in there to obscure it / draw attention. All we need is a good shot at the crunchy interior and we've removed their advantage.

That said, I'm not sure we are gonna be able to resolve the squabble easily, as I get the feeling we're all imagining this setup very differently. In a nutshell, Grumb thinks his idea is best but he's just going to vote with Sgt. Gumbo regardless because he considers Gumbo the alpha scrunt.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 11, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hey sweet an entire page of italics

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, Crash Site.

Waking from a short impact induced nap, Gumbo crawled from the wreckage, dusting debris amd bits of Scrunt off his uniform. He noted the blue skies, singing birds and lush trees with disinterest and went looking for his gun. His gear was scattered about, but he found it all in short order, having to chase a Scruntling away from the chainsword with a burst of las pistol fire at his tiny hosed up feet. It looked like the rest of the surviving Scrunts were milling aimlessly about, as Scrunts often do, but there was a small gathering chattering frantically, so he headed in their direction.

As the others got him up to speed, Gumbo sketched a crude map in the earth and then stood back and stared at it for a while.

"Ways I sees it, we got options...

We's can hide in dat hole, iss a nice hole. But then we's in a hole and they's not.
We can get them in da hole, in der box or on der feet. We jus gots to cover it and lead em over, be easier to get th box in, coz they won be lookin so close, but we's got to block off the other routes, maybe needs a decoy"
he glanced at Kreb.
"The other thin - we could rush the bastard. Problem is tha big gun. If iss wha I think, iss got a mean big gun, blast us ta ooze. We gotta be up close before it knows, cut our way in thru th back. We's could hide in the pit until it crosses, or try to take it at the buillings. The buillings got cover, good chance to sneak up close without it seein, special if we gots a distraction
He indicated the aimlessly milling Scrunts "Whatev we do I thinks t'others ought ta hide 'em in th' buillings."

"The holes the leas risky, but the leas rewardin too" there was a glint in Gumbo's eye at the idea of getting that vehicle, of becoming Mechanised Scruntfantry. "So's I guess th question is, do yous feel lucky, Scrunts?"

Looking at the map if the Chimaera wants to drive up to the crash site it pretty much has to cross the pit or it'll be going over difficult terrain. There's definitely better tactical options that just attacking them on the road. The buildings may allow us to extend the element of surprise a little, especially if the squad disembarks and splits up to search them. Also it may be worth searching the buildings for anything useful.

E: Schlong where should I put my insanity points on my sheet? I will just make a little Insanity heading at the bottom for now

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Grumb Slanger, crash site

Roight, you lot 'eard the commander! Grumb shouts in Dak Rugby's ear, Hup-two, all you scrivilians folla me to cuvva! Grumb yells to the noncombatants in his most authoritative voice. He starts marching towards the buildings to the north, and takes Betsy's safety off. You can never be too careful.

Passing by the crater, he picks up his crude sign and hucks it into the bushes. Barry, yer idea was terrible! Where'd ya come up with a load a poo poo loik that? Barry looks up from behind the tree he was pooping on, confused. Wuzzat, Grumb? he says, wiping his butt on a clump of three-leaved plants nearby. He takes off after his cousin, scrambling to put his pantaloons back on.

What kind of range do I have on my heavy stubber? Does it look like I could provide cover fire from the north, while still keeping an eye on the scrowd of scrivilians? Or would I have to come back and hide with the rest of the squad to have any chance at taking part in combat? Grumb feels some level of responsibility to keep the crowd safe [at least for the sake of having disposable bodies when we need them], but it's more important to him that he gets a taste of the action.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Groin Sklunger
Just Outside the Dropsite, Half-way up a Tree

The exodus to the Slam Sector had been fantastic success, at least by Scrunt standards; less than 100% of the passengers had died on impact, and more than 0% of the survivors were uninjured enough to be of use in colonizing their new home.

Like many of the survivors, Groin had been thrown from the 'vessel' on impact. Unlike most, Groin had survived being thrown from the ship, and uniquely, Groin had managed to be thrown directly into the hole of tree trunk. An unlucky family of squirrels inside had acted as a perfect cushion for Groin's head. Unfortunately Groin's head and arms were completely stuck inside the tree. After a good few minutes of inaudible yelling and waving his legs around, Groin felt Scruntly hands grab a hold of his hosed up tiny robotic leg and pull. Thankfully his naturally (for a Scrunt) greasy body made pulling him out quite easy, and after a few brief moments of pain and squeezing Groin found himself sat on the branch of a tree, next to his saviour Jekk.

The couple sat on the branch for a few minutes longer, their primitive brains trying in vain to comprehend the alien environment they had found themselves in. Groin was still clutching his detached steering wheel. After a few more minutes of staring into space, Groin handed the wheel to Jekk, who firmly grabbed it with both hands.

"Fock is all this'en eh??" muttered Groin, referring to the trees, grass and generally greenery around them.

Jekk stored the steering wheel down his pants and continued to stare dumbfounded, his mouth open and his eyes glazed over.

scalded schlong posted:

A shriek brings you back to your senses – that's more like it – as a small scrunt who has aimlessly scaled a tree begins to gesticulate frantically. A swift shake of the trunk brings him into position to report, and once he has snapped his arm back into place he gibbers about smoke, exhaust, a vehicle in the distance.

"Fock is that ee's yammerin about? Is tha a...?" Groin cuts himself off as his eyes widen, his pupil constricts, his bionic eye begins to spark frantically and he sits bolt upright (as much as is possible for the hosed up posture of a Scrunt). For a few moments he says nothing, then suddenly...

"CHIMERA. ARMOURED PERSONNEL CARRIER. WEIGHT, 38 TONNES. MAX SPEED ON ROAD, 70 KILOMETERS PER HOUR. MAX SPEED OFF ROAD, 55 KILOMETERS PER HOUR. TRANSPORT CAPACITY, 12. SINGLE REAR ACCESS POINT. SIX FIRING PORTS. HULL MOUNTED HEAVY BOLTER. TURRET MOUNTED MULTI-LASER." Groin blurted out in the space of a few seconds, in a robotic monotone voice.

Jekk doesn't appear to notice Groin momentarily turning into a talking technical manual, and instead gently taps the wheel in his pants. "Arrrr, it's drivin me nuts!" he yells, to nobody in particular.

Groin shakes his head and snaps out of his trance. "Fock was I sayin?! Whateves, don't matter. Gotta get that tank, gotta drive it. Gotta 'av it!" he yells to himself, his mouth drooling.

Groin notices other Scrunts around him are arguing about what to do with the rapidly approaching Chimera. Some want to kill it, some want to trap it. Other appear to want to trap it, kill it, then poo poo on it? Groin quickly scuttles down from his branch and runs into the crowd of various Scrunts arguing, some he recognizes.

"Oi yea twats! Listen up, I ain't one for leadin an I ain't one for plannin! But if I knows one thing I knows we's needs that tank alive, not dead!" Groin bellows loudly to anyone who will listen. A few Scrunts appear to take notice, but most continue arguing and yelling their own ideas and plans.

Groin rummages around his gear and pulls out a fire grenade in one hand, and his lascutter in the other hand.

"If someone 'elps me get close ta that beasty, I kin cut a big 'ole in it, shove these boomers inside and WOOSH! We gots us some wheels!" Groin cackles manically.

To emphasis the validity of his point, Jekk falls out of the tree behind him. "Arrr, drivin me nuts!" adds Jekk.

_______

Groin's uncharacteristically bold plan, is to somehow sneak close to the tank, use his lascutter to cut off one of the firing ports open, then throw as many fire bombs, smoke grenades and what not inside; hopefully killing all the crew without damaging the vehicle too much. Groin has no idea how to get the tank to stop, or how to safely get close to it, that's not his job!

Also I've decided there's something wrong with Groin's brain. Perhaps he's severely autistic, maybe that new robotic eye has done something, but whatever it is he will occasionally go full sperg and start listing off technical details when confronted with an interesting vehicle or piece of machinery.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

If we cut a hole in the side of the chimera it'll be the same amount of damage as just luring it on to the spike, and if we end up with scrunts fighting inside the tank, especially with firebombs, it'll end up damaging the interior, and cogitators and drive linkages and poo poo are harder to replace than armour plating. Remember, the inside of the chimera isn't armoured against explosions, it relies on the outside of it to protect it. It depends whether you wanna end up with a tank with a hole in it, or the burning shell of a tank with a hole in it. Throwing firebombs inside hatches is a historically reliable way of burning a tank to poo poo.

The rockslide is just to prevent them heading to the crash site by the road without a hole in it. There are two roads that lead to the crash site, and we want them down the one with the buildings.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I didn't say it was a GOOD plan.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Firebombs aren't going to ignite the entire interior, they're just a blast of flames meant to catch hair, skin, and clothing on fire, not steel plating. And really unless this is a command vehicle the only sensitive equipment is going to be a simple radio. It's a workhorse made to be durable enough for the Imperial Guard to use on any planet.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Dak Rugby, Dropscrunt Crashacre

Dak puts away a particularly interesting chunk of scrunt bone and feels something else in his pocket. A smile comes across his face.

code:
 ***Gear*** 
 2 x hallucinogen grenades 
"Gumbo, I fink these might be able to help! You need to distract some umans, den one of 'ese should do tha trick. Only dis one, tho, I'm savin' dis other one fer a borin' night." The two grenades are identical.

"We just needa scrunt that kin sneaky drop dis close or mebbe inside th' ride. Can't be me, tho. Anyone else I kin try ta patch up, but I can't op'rate on me'self. Tried once."
Dak gladly offers up one of his mind-altering explosives, but he won't be too devastated if they don't get used. He keeps them for recreational use. Also, Dak seems somewhat hesitant to hand the grenade over to Gumbo himself.

ThNextGreenLantern fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 12, 2014

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

yeah but dead dudes and like chairs burn pretty well

Pernicious Kreb, Slammed Sector

Kreb sees Dak Rugby's Hallucinogen grenades, and formulates a new idea. From what he conveys, it involves having Grumb dress up as a dead alien, lie in the road, then when the PDF open the doors to come and take a look, someone throws a hallucinogen grenade into the tank, hopefully getting the PDF as they leave, then Grumb jumps up and scares them out of their drug addled minds and chases them into a firing lane past the buildings, where Kreb and the other shooters will be waiting to blast the humies apart.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 12, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
All the seats would get thrown out anyway. It's all dead weight and besides we need more room to cram in more scrunts. We'll put new seats on the outside so scrunts'll ride along as a form of ablative armor.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Urok
The Dropsite Massacre

Urok watches the gang of scrunts gesticulate wildly and gibbering half formed plans at each other through blood-red, cracked eyes. The bright ball of hot light in the sky pains him, nothing in the dark tunnels prepared him for this. Urok wishes he was underground, out of this bright open space. He idly ignites his shock gloves over and over as a way to distract himself from the ceilinglessness of this place. Urok wishes he was underground....

"Dak, I kin dig a hole by the side of the road to hyde in..put some scraps ontop and..get the chimera to stop somehow and ill pop rihte out next to em hummies and stuff your crazy gernade in wif a smoke one to suffocate em so they come out while you distract em! The coward Kreb is jus tryin to confuse us wif his alien bullshit, you dont need to take nothin from him Grumb."

Urok leers at Kreb while fingering the ignition triggers to his shock gloves.....

"Been too long since I punched sumfin, lets get these ummies"

We need to stop assuming the crew and squad will come out just because theres some poo poo (scrunt or otherwise) in the road . Asphyxiation and tripping balls will drive people out of the chimera. Urok spent his whole lifetime underground digging holes and making big rocks into small rocks. I can dig a hole and expertly camouflage it with some scrap metal and rocks, hide in it, and when the tank stops on a predetermined point, pop out next to it and smoke em outta the vehicle.I have sprint and decent agi, idk what else would be involved in this roll, but idealy i would be a meter or so off their treads anyway, and spring into action before they can react. poo poo someone could pop a smoke grenade to cover for me, or simply take the tank under fire to cause them to pause, again at a predetermined point that would increase the chances of success of stuffing two grenades through a firing hole. I leave the rest of the plan to ya'll

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So how long until the Chimera rolls up on our gaggle of tiny hosed up mutants standing around loudly arguing over how best to ambush them? Because that's almost a perfect distraction in it's own right.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Y'all got till Thursday evening, GMT, before things start coming to a head.

I will post tonight with all the options that have come up.

e: also will answer questions re: heavy stubbers etc

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 12, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Forest Dropsite
Malbrathia-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5558mNem89s

The Chimera trundles gently along through the countryside, bouncing on its tracks occasionally as it passes over a particularly deep pothole. Inside, the PDF troops make desultory checks to their equipment, smoke lho sticks, or swig from canteens - they've been soldiering for a while now, but they're well behind the front lines, and at heart they're little more than a bunch of farmhands pressed into service and given rifles. It's just another afternoon spent checking up on random space debris, but it beats prisoner transfer duty. Maybe they can get this finished in time to pick up some booze from the commissariat while it's still light. Maybe there'll actually be some heavy bolter shells spare from the war effort and they can actually use the hull mounted gun for something other than decoration.

The sergeant chews anxiously at his standard-issue cigar as the vehicle makes its way towards the smoke plume hazily visible in the distance. He's only two days from retirement.

A handful of miles away, scrunts gibber and bicker. Most of the non-combat scrunts have instinctively faded away into the undergrowth or debris or undersoil, trusting in the guys with guns to deal with the situation. A handful of them have taken to the trees, peering down unblinking through the foliage like large, ugly barn owls.

-----------

Phoon there should be a little bit saying "IP/CP" at the top of your sheet, IP stands for "insanity points". Bung it there. Collect 10 and get a prize!

Tin Tim you pass and do not get an insanity point.

Ignite Memories your heavy stubber has the following stats - Range 100m, -/-/8, 1d10+4 I, pen3, clip 75, 2full reload. In other words it has an accurate range of 100m, and like all weapons you're at -10 to hit up to twice that range, and -30 up to 4x that range. It cannot fire single shots, cannot fire semi auto bursts, and can get a maximum of eight hits on full auto. Single shots get +10 to hit, semiauto bursts get 0, full auto bursts get -10 to hit. It does 1d10+4 damage per shot, and punches through 3 points of armour automatically (i.e. it tears through infantry armour like it isn't there). It has a clip of 75 meaning you get 9 full bursts and one 3-round dribble before reloading. Reloading takes two uninterrupted combat rounds. Note that because it fires full auto you can do suppressing fire with this - rules come later but basically you can pin people in place by firing madly at them.

The map isn't a tactical one and I didn't plan a real scale but let's say each square is 10x10m if we want to get all tactilol. Hint: don't get all tactilol yet.

Don't worry about the crowd of scrunts, they can handle themselves by hiding/running. Their safety will only become a concern if you all hide, or something - dudes with guns will probably want to deal with other dudes with guns before dealing with dudes without guns. Were you going up against ravening chaos cultists this might play out differently.

Tactical options raised by you scrunts are as follows, in broad strokes, as I understand them:

Urok favours leaping out, from hiding, at the stopped chimera and wanging grenades through the viewports. I will say that smoke grenades in a confined space will be moderately effective at causing an exodus, but other grenades (frag, flame, halluc) will be significantly more effective. Remember you have a flamethrower, dude.

Kreb favours use of a decoy in the road, followed by someone leaping out from hiding at the stopped chimera and wanging grenades through the open rear hatch. The decoy will then leap up in view of the possibly-wildly-hallucinating men with guns and a tank and either lure or chase them past an ambush line of scrunts.

Groin wants to cut bits off the tank and then stuff bombs in it. I will say that you are unlikely to be able to do this from the side of the tank - however, if you can get on top of the tank you will likely remain unmolested unless the PDF get out to scrape you off, in which case you can move towards simply stuffing bombs in the open hatches.

Gumbo appears to want to lure the PDF squad into the buildings and deal with them in there. This has the benefit of making the Chimera a non-issue during the bulk of the fight, although it does not actually deal with the whole tank problem per se.

Grumb would like to shoot things with his gun after decoying the humans out of the chimera.

Scurrilous wants to place a great big booby trap to engulf the PDF squad in flame once they disembark to look at a decoy.

Grimply wants to decoy the chimera and shoot mans once they come out.

Dak offers up grenades, for bombing purposes.

There appears to be a lot of common ground regarding the main body of the plan - you all seem unwilling to drop the chimera down a big pit, which is fair enough, but the main points of agreement appear to be "bomb the ever living poo poo out of people after decoying the Chimera into stopping". We don't need to get too thrashingly autistic as to whether or not a particular decoy would be the most effective, although I agree, simply plopping a bunch of scrunts in plain view is likely to just get them shot because you all look disgusting and vile. If you can come up with something arresting (the sign doesn't quite cut it, although a bigger one with scrunt artefacts scattered about it might), we can go ahead and assume your decoy will work fine.

The main point of contention appears to be "do you bomb the interior of the chimera or not". Doing so is obviously a bit more dangerous, but has the significant benefit of interfering with the well-being of the driver and gunner, possibly neutralizing the tank as well as the squad. Ultimately you're either going to have to get close to this tank to deal with it, or drop something enormous on it.

If you wish to be certain of where the Chimera will pull up - well, they're probably here to look at the crash site. They probably won't look at the pit too hard unless something lures them there, focusing more on the enormous smoking pile of scrap metal that is your drop pod. If you can give them something interesting to gawk at, you can probably work out where they'll park with little difficulty.

If I have gotten anything in the above confused please speak up, and shout if you have any more questions. Hopefully we will be in a position to cut down on italics tomorrow or Friday. You motherfuckers can work out among yourselves who deserves prizes for this scrunt bicker.

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 12, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My plan of making a very very large firebomb (or any other type of explosive) is completely compatible with any other plan the involves hurling projectiles. We'd just need a swole as gently caress scrunt to huck the thing 'cause it'll probably be heavy as hell.

Pros: If it lands near the squad it's most likely to kill them all.

Cons: If it misses we will have wasted materials.

Personally I like the high risk high reward scenario. Additionally if we go with Gumbo's plan of luring them into the buildings my booby-trap would still be very useful. But I think Kreb's plan is best overall, with or without me making a mega-bomb.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
My vote is we try and execute all of our plans simultaneously, as is the way of the Scrunt. Also if someone could toss me on top of that Chimera that would be rad.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Pernicious Kreb, Argumentation Station Zeta

Kreb, unused to compromise or mediation, finds himself finally understanding the principle of it: he can lie to everyone else about liking elements of their terrible plans, while actually making them do his plan. He explains the modified plan, detailed below, to the massed scrunts. However, he still insists that Grumb dress up as an alien and dance in front of the tank. He also hisses at Grumb for good measure.

Well we can combine the plans, we can deploy 'treasure' outside as a decoy, I think that's more likely to lure them out than a scary alien which they might just run over. Then we hallucinogen bomb the tank when they open up. Then once the PDF squad is out we could firebomb/chase them from the opposite side of the road to the buildings, sending them towards the buildings where the firing lanes will be. We could also send Urok into the tank if the PDF squad leaves it open, and he can CQC the crew with hopefully minimal damage to the tank itself.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, if we lure the troopers away then one person should stay behind to shoot the driver in the back of the face.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Grimply, at the fringe of the tactical scrunt bicker

Phoon posted:

"So's I guess th question is, do yous feel lucky, Scrunts?"
Grimply gives Gumbo an approving nod.

"Aye laddie, with tha scruntfather on oua side, how can wes not?"

I still think we should use scruntbait to make the PDF get out. Like, as funny as a treasure sign or ghost is, both just don't seem to work very likely imo. And when I talk about scruntbait, I don't mean to plop a few scrunts into the open to wave retardedly at the tank. I rather thought they'd scramble off when the tank comes into view distance and force the PDF to run after them. Using the buildings to ambush them when they follow actually isn't a bad idea. The close range probably favors us more then them. And this way the chimera will likely stop next to the forest that's north of the hole. And if our chimera charge crew is in that forest, they don't have to run far to get to it. Bombing them while they disembark is still a cool idea, but after thinking about it, there are probably more PDF troopers in there then we can burn/get high at once.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Taking some potshots at the side of it and then retreating to the buildings would probably force them to stop and disembark. And while the Chimera is an immensely powerful machine that could push down the trees and then drive over the trunks that would take time and effort, getting out and hoofing it would be easier.

So I'm thinking we have three teams. Team 1 consists of three Scrunts waiting in the ruins to ambush the PDF. Team 2 is two Scrunts that get the Chimera's attention and then runs back to Team 1s position. These should be the hardiest and/or fastest. Team 3 is one Scrunt retarded brave enough to charge into the Chimera after the troopers leave to ambush the driver.

E: Wait are there six or eight of us? Whatever, add extra Scrunts wherever.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Didn't scalded say earlier that if it looks like actual trouble they'll probably stay in the tank rather than get out? I think we're safer luring them out with something interesting/valuable/weird than like active hostiles.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Im Team 3

I can set up in a concealed position, toss the hallucination nade in, flame em as they come out, or wait for you guys to empty the chimera somehow and charge into it

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Didn't scalded say earlier that if it looks like actual trouble they'll probably stay in the tank rather than get out? I think we're safer luring them out with something interesting/valuable/weird than like active hostiles.

Yeah, I also think that shooting at them from the get go is a bad idea. They're likely to just stay in the chimera and maybe even contact their Hq or something. If we present them a few tiny and vile creatures that scurry off, the probably bored PDF troopers will likely want to have some fun shooting the disgusting but mostly harmles creatures. Also, while I do like to split up into dedicated teams, my frail sniper isn't going to fare well in any of them, and I probably have to make my own team and snipe the PDF from behind when they go into the buildings. The rest of you could then use the surprise to jump them even better. And I didn't think of this before, but I could also borrow my mag boots to Groin so that he can just stick to the chimera and cut it open if needed?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Just the gunner and driver will remain in the chimera. The PDF squad will get out to investigate unless e.g. the chimera is parked in a forest which you have set on fire. From a metagame perspective this is basically me saying "you have a tank and a bunch of dudes to deal with" while at the same time not saying "The enemy squad sits in its metal box that you cannot scratch, killing you".

I really cannot stress enough that at this stage you guys should be coming up with something that sounds fun rather than something that is Rainbow Six: Scrunt Edition. Later on in the game where you have actual anti-armour weapons and proper armour and loads of cool talents we can get properly tactilol and you can wipe out elite squads of renegade stormtroopers with interlocking fields of fire, but this is the first combat, against some farmhands in a tractor, and everyone's still learning the ropes. We're going to ease into the concept of "unforgiving combat" quite slowly.

I'm knackered right now so will give you the rest of Thursday to stagger towards a consensus, and on Friday I will be coming up with some sort of battle map based on the soggy mess before me, and kicking off combat.

e: mag boots and lascutter sounds hilarious and would indeed enable someone to lascut the chimera even if it's pelting around at top speed. Regarding sniping, an enemy squad taking fire from nearby are unlikely to want to focus on far-off snipers, if indeed they realise they're being picked off.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Grimply, in the vicinity of the scrunt summit

Grimply is confused and slightly annoyed from all the bickering, and it's slowly giving him a headache. Funny. It feels kinda like when the scruntfather wants to talk to him. Suddenly Grimply's body suffers a mild spasm, and he goes "Arghlblargl." before collecting himself again. With a pleased look in his scrunty eyes, he shuffles over to Groin, and puts his arm around the shoulder of the suspicious scrunt.

"Listen mate, tha scruntfather just gave me a genious idea, yes right 'e did. See dese boots?" he says while pulling a smelly metal boot from his probably toxic foot.

"These be special boots that can stick ta metal if ya press tha red button. You got that cuttin' thing, roight? Well tha scruntfather says you shoud stick to the humie box an' cut a small hole in it, and then throw in one of oua grenades!"

Grimply beams at Groin while telling him this, and looks very convinced that it will work and is in no way dangerous for Groin. After all, the scruntfather protects.

I now really want Groin to stick to the chimera, cut a small hole into it and throw a Hallucinogen grenade inside. Question is, before or after the PDF disembark? Probably after, so that the driver and gunner will either kill each other in a drug inudced haze, or are easy pickings for Urok.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Groin Sklunger
The Gathering of the Scrunts

Groin, still high on the thought of maybe getting to ride a tank, is extremely susceptible to suggestion and grins along with Grimply's idea.

"Yeaaaaaaaaaah, it all makes sense mate. Climb tha tank, cut tha tank, bomb tha tank, steal tha tank!" jabbers Groin, his stubby little arm and hosed up little robot arm shaking with excitement.

"And Oi'll need to sneak up on it right, so I git these!" Groin pulls out two smoke grenades from his pouch.

"They ain't never see it commin mate!" grins Groin.

I love this plan. Groin hides in the bushes nearby the ambush point, and when the Chimera is distracted he throws a smoke grenade at the tank, and also cooks one in his hand and just runs at it while the second smoke grenade goes off in his hand. Then he attempts to mount the tank, activate the boots, and use his lascutter to make a hole and throw some firebombs/drug grenades inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Urok
The Dropsite Massacre

"Groin, Im wif you mate. We been standin around here yappin, its been too long since I punched sumone! " Urok dances on his feet, and throws a few jabs out into the air.

" I'll hide wif you you and leep em off you while you cut, and once you pop that tank open, I'll be firs thru the hole, and and you can cover me!"

I'm on board, I'll hide with Groin, rush the tank with him, and cover him while he cuts. I have the flamer as back up, and I'll be first through the hole. My fists or my flamers will be deadly in confined spaces

• Locked thread