Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, beyond the barricades

Gumbo laughs as the humans pour through the gate and are immediately hammered by scruntfire. He pats Pirk on the back and the younger Scrunt holds up his chainsword with a question on his face. He shakes his head and mumbles "not close enuf ye'. Soon.

"Nice shootin boys!" he yells. "Keep it up, them fuckers dunno what hit em!"

Militia to (hopefully) concentrate fire on squad two.
Get them! order (43 FEL +10 COM = 53). Pirk to Ranged Volley.
Half action aim and standard laspistol attack at squad three. (30 BS + 10 Aim + 10 Std Atk + 5 Pirk = 55)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, movin forwards

Gumbo is gratified to hit again - feels like he's starting to get the hang of this laspistol - but it doesn't feel right to be hanging back, taking potshots. A sergeant ought to lead from the front, he imagines. His chainsword itches at his side. In the back of his head iron grinds quietly.

He peers into the distance. There's something over there, on the edge of the light, his tiny eyes can't make out much detail but it certainly sounds dangerous.

"Ah, this ain enuff. Sick o firin this zapper from behin' a wall" he grumbles. "Come on lad, less get us a look at that stompy fella."

"HOLD POSITION!" he yells at the militia, then throws in an encouragement for the he'll of it: "LIGHT THEM FUCKERS UP!!"

Then he turns to his assistant. "Come on lad, less get us a look at that stompy fella."

Pirk squawks in alarm as Gumbo throws himself over the barricade and runs off into the dark.

Get them! order (43 FEL +10 COM = 53).
Full run to (hopefully) take cover at Murdelia's location (mostly moving in the dark to avoid fire if possible). I hope this is close enough by, not sure how big the squares are. AGI bonus is 3.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, outside the barn

Gumbo skids into cover, enraged by what he has seen. A human, all covered in metal. Metal!

"Tha was my gimmick!!" he screams. "I was tha iron Scrunt!"

Nearby, Murdelia edges away from him. Pirk appears, having navigated his way over the barricade, lugging the chainsword with him.

"Pirk!" he yells. "Sword!!"

Alarmed, Pirk panics and flings the chainsword in Gumbo's direction. The sergeant steps from his cover, snatches it from the air, thumbs the tox injector and spins himself and the chainsword in the direction of the big metal human.

"EAT IT YOU FUCKER!!" he screams, and starts running.

Switch to chainsword (free action), :tox: injector, charge at hardchest. 45 + 20 (Charge) + 10 (Pirk) = 75 (or 85 if double team counts for comrade gang ups, I can't remember)

Close Quarters order to Pirk, Get them order to all comrades in range 43 + 10 = 53.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, still ridin' the 'naught

accidentally edited instead of quoting!! I will fix this later

Another :tox: injector, called shot at whatever makes the most sense (I think his head via his back?? if still riding). 45WS, Close Quarters order to Pirk

Get them order to all comrades in range 43 + 10 = 53.

Phoon fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 2, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, still ridin' the 'naught

As Gumbo rides by he realises he has returned to where he started. The militia mill about, confused, some pointing their guns in seemingly random directions, one has started passionately kissing his rifle, lots of tongue.

"Oy you lot!! Concentray fire!! Shoot them humans!!" he waves frantically in the direction of squad five.

Same actions as last time, plus an order to the militia to shoot at squad five. willing to use a fate point on the attack roll if it might bring hardchest down:

Another :tox: injector, called shot at whatever makes the most sense (I think his head via his back?? if still riding). 45WS, Close Quarters order to Pirk

Get them order to all comrades in range 43 + 10 = 53.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, in the dirt

"Argh! My fuckin ribs!!" Gumbo grumbles. At least the metal human is dead. And a few of these troops just dropped too. He grins at Yurik, nearby.

"'Stoo easy Yurk. Like shootin mudfish in a mudbucket."*

He rests his gun in front of him, takes aim again without moving, best not to move too much, he thinks. He wonders if his militia can hear him over all this noise. Worth a punt.

"You lot!! Shoot these fuckers over ere! Les show em what we got, eh?!"

*mud has many uses to a Scrunt and is hoarded in buckets by Scrunt societies across the galaxy

Half aim and full auto at squad five
BS 30-10(full auto)+10(aim)+5(Pirk)+30(point blank I think)=65??

Yelling at the militia to focus fire on squad five. Ranged Volley order to Pirk, Get them order to all comrades in range 43 + 10 = 53.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, waking up is hard to do

Gumbo wakes to something grabbing at his belt. Instinctively he windmills his arm wildly, striking Pirk in the face. A cigar pops out of his mouth and Gumbo snatches it from the air.

"Whatcha doin lad??" he screams at his beleaguered comrade. He then reaches down to his belt and unclips his lighter. Pirk watches forlornly as he lights the cigar and takes a long drag.

"I lies down for a nice pose-combat nap ta sleep off gettin thrown about by tha big metal fucker and ya star tryin to steal me trousers."

He clambers to his feet and winces. "Oof. Everythin urts." He takes another longer drag. "Urts less now tho. Ahm rallyin! Thas the mark of a supar- soupyry- of a tuff fucker." He winks at Pirk, previous improprieties apparently forgotten.

He looks about. Seems to be a lot of hustling and bustling, though to what purpose is unclear. He grabs a passing scrunt, one he recognises from the militia, clutching a box and gibbering excitedly.

"Whas goin on lad? We movin ou?"

The scrunt tries to hide the box behind him. Gumbo narrows his eyes further than their already unnaturally narrow "The tunnels, Sarge. Them uvvers they ses we gotta get gone from ere"

Makes sense thinks Gumbo, but more importantly what is that what does he have I bet it's something good I want it I hope its a snack.

"Whassat you av there private?" he prods. "Salverge as to be anded over ta yer commandin offisah, private! Thas in tha book. Tryin ta hide loot from tha proper authoritates is a kurt marshall offence." Gumbo isn't sure who Kurt Marshall is but he's certain he did something very bad once.

Thoroughly intimidated and uncertain what a book is, the militiascrunt hands over the box. Gumbo takes it by the handle, the existence of which strikes him as odd. He turns it over, and there's a barrel too, or the end of one at least.

Is this a pistol? he thinks It's loving huge! He giggles quietly. My hands are huge too. He giggles more, takes another drag from his cigar and continues.

After a minute or so of this, he composes himself and slaps the scrunt on the back.

"Good salvagin private, ya keep this up an yall make corpral as soon as Pirk gets killed." He pauses thoughtfully. "If 'es corpral. 'E probly is. Anywes, gets the res o the lads and start helpin wif the withdrawin. Show them civvies ow a military unit operates. An tell em to meet up wi me when we starts movin fer more orders. An if theres anythin else worth takin', anythin wif some bang, grab it fer the militia."

Dismissing the militiascrunt with what he imagines a salute looks like he turns away and goes looking for Yurik, who he remembers having some maps.

"Yurk! Ahve ad an idea fer a really long sanwich."

Gumbo is wrangling the militia (FEL 43 +10 COMMAND) to help with the withdrawal, they will (hopefully) help wrangle the rest of the scrunts into order and act as rear guard once on the move. He is also pushing them to grab the krak missile launchers for the general armoury.

Navigation - Surface (INT 36) will hopefully help with reaching the tunnels in the dark. Suggest all the navigators get together and discuss the route for maximum effect.

He takes the bolt pistol and will learn to use it on the journey. 300xp on weapon training - bolt

If possible he will also try to get healed by Murdelia on the journey

Smoke iho every day.

Phoon fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 8, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, why is everything on fire?
3/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

"Thanks doc." Gumbo turns away from Murdelia, prodding suspiciously at the smiley face sticker now adorning his arm. He surveys the general chaos, slowly coalescing into a loose convoy and nods, satisfied.

And then the fire starts.

Scrunts run screaming, squawking, honking and farting in every direction. Gumbo stares, uncomprehending. What could cause this? Who? He squints his tiny eyes.

"GROOIINNN!!"

There's no time for this, they need to be leaving, and preferably not on fire. He throws himself towards the endangered Scrunts, rolling unnecessarily through the dirt.

"GET MOVIN YA LAZY FUCKERS!! CANT YA SEE THE PLACE IS BURNIN?"

Gumbo tries to get healed. I can't remember how healing works but I rolled a 68 so its probably not very good.

He tries to use command to help get the civilian Scrunts organised and out of the line of fire/explosions. Leadership 43, +10 Command

E: I'm told this roll is worth 5 wounds!! So Gumbo ends this post with 8/14 Wounds

Phoon fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 18, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, in the tunnels
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

Gumbo doesn't like the dark. He fumbles around with his gear, but finds it impossible to hold a torch, a chainsword and an oversized novelty pistol at the same time, at least in any way that could be useful. In the end he hooks his chainsword to his belt, reasoning that it's less likely to get stuck in an emergency - he still hasn't found a holster that will fit a bolt pistol without a lot of aggressive jamming. He waves the torch around, seems to work okay, then looks at the pistol and torch and remembers something...

~~wobbly flashback effect~~

Gumbo crouched behind a ubiquitous barrel, listening intently. Nearby, a human sergeant was lecturing some recruits.

"You want to hold your gun and your torch together, like this." The Sergeant had said. "So that they always point at the same thing, no use lighting something up if you can't- heh, light it up."

Gumbo was nervous, he had gotten lost on the ship. He was definitely out of his assigned area, it was obvious from the lack of garbage and similar comforting smells. He had come on board to learn and the humans had been no help in that respect so far, except at teaching him to dodge brooms, thrown objects and occasional las-fire. They had been very helpful at that. But perhaps here was a chance to learn something useful. He peered out at the assembled humans, who were now all holding pistols and torches, pointing them in different directions as the Sergeant wandered about, correcting them where necessary.

He watched the nearest recruit carefully, made the shape with his hands and nodded. It made sense - to aim the torch and the gun together. Lesson learned - and not wanting to push his luck and face disciplinary for being out of bounds - he turned and scampered back into the broken vent he and the other on-ship Scrunts assumed were Scrunt corridors. Behind him he heard the Sergeant one more time. "WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT THING?!"

~~wobbly flashback effect~~

Gumbo shakes his head. He never did find out what that thing was, but he remembers how to hold a gun and a torch like a pro.

As he passes the other Scrunts he mutters "Ere, lads. Summun oughtta cover tha." He gestures to the tunnel to their right. "Ahm gonna ed up to tha fron' an see what I can see, yeh?" He hopes they are impressed with his extremely professional torch/gun handling.

Gumbo advances to the furthest tunnel entrance holding his bolt pistol and a torch like they do in cop shows. He shines the torch into the tunnel illuminating as best he can without leaving the current lit area.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Im going up to where Mung is that's what I meant by up front which is purple I guess??The stuff about covering the right was a suggestion to the rest of the team I now realise this was unclear!!

Phoon fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 14, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

Gumbo peers down the dark tunnel. There's definitely something there. He waves his torch about, trying to get a good look.

"Whussat? Ahw is a lil doggy! Whos a good lad? whos a good lil - AH gently caress THEYS COMIN' RIGH' FER US!!

Gumbo is moving after the dogs so his action depends on theirs - assuming they attack in close combat he will swap to chainsword (free action), halfy aim and standard attack (WS 45 + 5 for Chainsword + Aim + Double team - think we outnumber them three to two). If for some reason they aren't in range he will halfy aim and standard attack with the bolt pistol. (BS 30 + aim + range modifier)

Phoon fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 25, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

The dog things yelp, but don't break, inching forwards and snarling. Which doesn't seem very dog like to Gumbo.

"Yerr all bad doggies!! Bad doggies!!

He jams the bolt pistol into its makeshift holster and reaches for his chainsword.

Gumbo will swap to chainsword (free action) and charge the nearest doggy (WS 45 + 5 for Chainsword + Charge + Double team - if we outnumber them).

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, up front
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

Gumbo and Drekk peer (or in Gumbo's case squint) into the shadows ahead. There's definitely something moving up ahead.

"Yer righ' there mate. I dun like t'sound a tha there growlin at all. Les keep er distant fer now, until tha others get ere"

Cautiously, he returns his chainsword to his belt - in easy reach - and draws his pistol.

Half action to ready Bolt pistol, and that's all, unless the big dog moves into view before Gumbo moves next (he is very late in the order) in which case standard attack it.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, up front
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

Gumbo dives/rolls/falls out of the way as a jet of fire blasts by, dropping his bolt pistol. He snatches instead for his trusty chainsword, and in the process accidentally jams down the tox injector switch. He squints at it, then at the dogbeast, alarmingly large and now alarmingly on fire.

"Ah, s'probly a good idea."

He runs through a few good battlecries in his head as he plans his attack, and settles on a trusty favourite. He checks the others are in position and, fairly certain he recognises their squat blocky silhouettes through the smoke haze, he springs into an attack.

"Go gently caress Yerself Doggy!"

Ready chainsword and tox injector as free actions, aim and attack the dogbeast. WS 45 + 20 Double Team* +10 Aim +5 Chainsword +10 standard attack (thanks deathsandwich) = 90

*I think

Phoon fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 8, 2016

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, up front
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

Gumbo spins away, his attack successful. Ready for more (though slightly dizzy) he plants his feet and raises his chainsword, pointing it at the dogbeast in a fencer's pose.

The large animal is clearly panicking, Gumbo inches forward waiting for an opening.

"Thin' ya can get away eh?"

Take any attacks of opportunity available on dogbeast

If dogbeast is still in range & alive all out attack the dogbeast. WS 45 + 20 Double Team* +5 Chainsword +30 all out attack** = 100 :eyepop:

if dogbeast still alive but no longer in range charge dog beast WS 45 + 20 Double Team* +5 Chainsword +30 charge** = 100

If dogbeast dead, run south to help out the others.

*depending on other Scrunt positions
**apologies if I have these bonuses wrong I don't have the book to hand

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, in the dog melee
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

Gumbo et al mob the remaining dogbeast, and though things are very slippery all of a sudden, it's clear the animal doesn't really stand a chance against an organised and motivated Scrunt offensive

Dimly aware there is still fighting going on elsewhere, he reaches for his bolt pistol, but remembers dropping it earlier whilst diving away from something. He peers about, it's harder to make out distinct shapes now that everything is blood coloured.

"Now wher t'heck did ah drop tha gun?

If big dogbeast is still in range & alive all out attack the dogbeast. WS 45 + 20 Double Team* +5 Chainsword +30 all out attack** = 100

If big dogbeast is dead at this point (seems likely), move north - don't run (toward Grimply) and ready Bolt pistol, putting chainsword away.

*depending on other Scrunt positions

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge,
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

Stood in a puddle of thick red blood Gumbo peers up at the thing on the ceiling, the sound of steel grinding softly in the back of his head. He shudders. Grimply's transformation was the most dramatic yet, he hopes it will wear off soon, like the others. There's something real weird about these drugs, about this whole planet. His boot makes a sucking sound as he lifts it from the blood puddle. Something weird about this blood too. Where did it come from? Gumbo has seen his fair share of dog disembowelings and its never been quite this messy. It doesn't seem like the dogbeasts could contain quite so much goop.

Further down the tunnel Drekk is hollering about something. Gumbo is pleased by the distraction

"Wocha lookin at there Drekk?" he grunts, then squats over a mutant body, picking at the uniform. "Penas legion" he murmurs.

Hopefully Scholastic Lore Tactics will include some information on penal regiments and their IDs

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge,
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

Gumbo strolls back into the room, zipping up the fly on his poorly altered imperial slacks with some difficulty. He passes Groin and Drekk and pauses. He fishes out some cigars, tosses one to Drekk and jams another in Groin's gibbering mouth.

"Ere ya go lads. Beer fer me, eh Drekk?"

He continues on, pushing toward the monitor. His eyes narrow at the man-thing on the screen.

"Lissen ere, Ahm Sergean' Gumbo. Rankin officer a this ere outfit. Corpral Grumb ere is righ'. Y'ain a servanter, yer a Pries'. I seen plenty of em in the service." As he speaks, he rubs a small scar on his chin. "Use ta whip battries at us. Now, ye've already lied ta us, so tell me." As he speaks Gumbo hands out a few more cigars, then lights one and puffs on it for a dramatically appropriate amount of time. "Why should we believe anythin' ya tellin us?"

Gumbo aids Grumb's attempt at intimidation with some dramatic flair

Phoon fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 23, 2016

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, Scrunt Mother Base
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

Gumbo laughs cheerfully as new areas of the base open up, the lights flickering on with them. He then peers at the human thing and his smile starts to turn. he's the only one who can turn it on or off. He approaches carefully, deciding to be as tactful as he can manage.

"Listen, Mister Surb, we need them codes" he says this quietly, waving his arms in what he hopes is a soothing motion to the metal snakes that seem to live in the human's coat. "If somethin were to 'appen, as things does sometimes in this 'ere business, we needs to be able to run this base. An' since the techlad of my lot has gone off to find us some gear."

"Ah'm gonna write 'em down. He carefully withdraws from a pouch a small book, coloured pink with a white cat and a matching pencil. "Found this a few weeks back in some trash. Had a wrapper but Groin ate it. Pristine."
Tiny eyes peer around a long bulbous nose. A pink pencil is set on pink paper.
"An so, the codes if you would, Mr Serb."

Gumbo wants to know the codes, we understand this information may be too complicated for the hello kitty pad.
i assume standard operating kit would includes a pad and pencils

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Sergeant Gumbo Bulge, Scrunt Mother Base
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

Gumbo listens quietly, taking notes and tutting periodically, some of the words are long and unfamiliar but he gets the gist. As the human thing pats his shoulder pad, he finds himself turned away from the terminals, and he furrows his brow. Its hard for him to judge any of this, coming from a position of traditional Scrunt ignorance. He needs a more knowledgeable ally.

"Of cours', of cours'." He mumbles, "can' be 'avin them lot comin' round again." He finishes writing, snaps the book closed and slips it into a pouch.

"The lads are 'avin a look roun' the armoury - I'd best be checkin' in on them" He nods, smartly turns away, and then smartly turns back in the correct direction before strutting away after Mung and Drekk. He'll see what the others have to say about Surb and the computer systems.

Gumbo is suspicious, but writes it all down, and decides to take it to the armoury for Mung's opinion

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Sergeant Gumbo Bulge, Scrunt Mother Base, Armoury
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

--Before the Meeting--

Gumbo surveys the armoury. Not much here, he muses. It's been picked almost clean, just the odd piece. The other Scrunts flock to those pieces, grabbing but he stands in the entry. There must be something, after all this effort, and in a base this size? He spies a small room at the back, a closet really, with a single window - well it's barely a window its so well fortified - but the door is wide open. He approaches, intrigued, and squints at a plaque beside the open doorway. "Come-and-er" he reads quietly. He enters to find a stool, a mirror, and a pair of lockers. One is wide open, empty. The other is easy enough to pry open - he supposes the door was considered protection enough. On the top shelf is a cone-shapes contraption, which he carefully withdraws. He turns it over in his stubby fingers.

"Whas this then?" He finds a red button and pushes it instinctively. Scrunts love red buttons. A soft whine emanates from the cone, he tuts, confused, and the cone tuts back. His face lights up - he knows what this is, he's seen one before, in the hands of a human all the other humans would obey immediately. "Shouter." He unhooks a small box from the side of the cone, and lifts it to his lips. "BALLS" he says, and the word bounces around the closet, shockingly loud in the enclosed space. He laughs and puts the thing into an empty duffel he finds under the chair, then turns his attention back to the locker.

Another bolt pistol - a nicer bolt pistol. He stuffs this into his holster, leaving his old pistol on a shelf in the locker. He finds a small shiny badge with the word from the plaque outside - and some human name he can scratch off later - and slips it into his pocket. This is turning into a decent haul. Only one thing left in the locker though. Wrapped in cloth and leaning against the back is a long, thin object. He hopes its a fishing pole, a fancy one like some humans have, not just a stick and a woven ear-hair line like he used to have at home. He grabs at it greedily, the cloth slips away and he gasps.

He is certain the power sword is the most beautiful thing he has ever seen - even in this dingy closet it seems to shine. He lifts it carefully, reverentially. There are buttons, but he does not push them (none of them are red). This thing he must be careful with, he knows, its too precious to be poking at without care. He wraps the cloth back around it, and slides it into the duffel - it sticks out, but he makes an effort to secure it.

On his way out of the armoury he pauses, then walks to the nearest rack and grabs a dusty lasgun from a confused Scrunt. "Ye Don' know ow ta use it anyway ye daft fucker," he grunts at the incensed fellow, then cuffs him about the head. The Scrunt wanders away towards a developing melee over a boot someone has found. "Dun hurt t'ave options" Gumbo mutters, checking the sights. He slings it over his back and strolls out of the armoury.

In the common areas, a few Scrunts are tossing a ball about as Grumb watches. He thinks he remembers the Corporal talking about this - a playing field for the militia. Doesn't seem too important to him, but then something bumps into his shin and he peers down. The ball. He squats, and picks up the misshapen ball, turns it over in his hand. For a moment he is overcome with memories of his youth, the Scruntbowl, Danny the skull. A single tear forms in the corner of a tiny eye. He wipes it away with his free hand, stands, and tosses the ball to the nearest Scruntling. He sidles over to Grumb, resolving to help get a proper field built - and somewhere to train the lads as well.

"Ere, Corpral." He says, "Ahm thinkin them militia lads ought'ta be helpin' wi' this. Cahn expec' ye ta do all the work yerself, eh?" He reaches into the duffel slung under his arm, smiling. "It jus' so 'appens, Ahve jus' the thin'."

"Alrigh you sorry lot!" He yells through the laudhailer. "Get yer flabby lil arses in gear an star' movin' them crates. You!" he points at a familiar face "Where the 'ell ave yer been?!"

--The Meeting--

"Pirk!" Gumbo barks as the young Scrunt scuttles into the ready room behind him, laden with spare gear. "Ye shud probly put some a tha stuff in the armoury, yer gonna do yer little legs in, lad."

"Sir!" he chirps "You told me that..." but he trails off as Yurik enters, then shuffles behind the Sergeant and sits down, hoping to go unnoticed by the Psy-Scrunt.

Gumbo listens intently, nodding occasionally to show he understands. The humans have nice stuff, stuff they could use. But there's a more immediate problem, it seems to him.

"Seems to me," he says "the mos' urgen' thin is food. We got a lot a folk 'ere, 'ardly unner our control, an I don' wanna see what'll 'appen if they think they gonna starve."

Gumbo is a commander now, with cool new gear (though he will continue to go by Sergeant/Sarge at least until the militia are better trained and the base is better equipped, at which point he may promote himself) and is going to help get this training area up to Tolerable
His priority for raiding is food, as its harder to train hungry soldiers than ill-equipped ones

Phoon fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 16, 2016

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Sergeant Gumbo Bulge, Scrunt Mother Base, War room
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

"Alrigh'." Gumbo jabs a stubby finger at the map "This 'ere" refinery. I thin' thas what we 'it. We'll take a smaller crew, us an' the lads in the truck an' a few limos fer the loot. 'ard an' fast, in and out before they know whas 'it 'em.

He peers at the map for a few more seconds.

"We shud grab summa them rabbit thins firs' though. He nods to Grug, then locks eyes with each Scrunt in turn as he speaks. "I don' want us hangin' about ou' there when they get all riled up. Can't have them 'umans findin' this place, we already los' the farm, I won' lose this too. An we ain' ready to be fightin' em off yet."[/b]

Finally his eyes come to rest on Serb, he smiles politely, or as politely as he can manage. "Mr Serb. If ye av any facts or figgins abou' this refinery, this'd be the time to speak up. In return fer yer info, if theres anything there yer itchin' fer, we can keep an eye ou', bring ya summin back."

To Grumb he mutters quietly "Like to get this lot doin' summin useful while we're gone. What dya think o gettin' em workin' on some 'nades?"

Gumbo proposes a raid on the refinery, and requests more info. he also suggests collecting the rabbits first, so we can focus on evading Severan attention on the way back.

He also wants the scrunts remaining home to be working on something useful, so would like to use his command to get us basic ammo/grenades.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Sergeant Gumbo Bulge, Riding shotgun in the Taurus
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

Gumbo clutches at the doorframe of the Taurus as it barrels toward the alarmed creatures. He grunts as it hits another bump. This is no good he thinks, Look at me, sitting here falling about, mewling like a little Scruntling. But I'm - he grips the dash and plants his feet - the iron - he pops the door on the Taurus and leans out. "Scrunt!!" He yells, waving his chainsword menacingly.

Determined to be heard over the wind and the screaming tyres, he lifts his laudhailer with his free hand and points it at Groin, beside him in the driver's seat.

"DRIVE US CLOSER GROIN!" He screams. "I WANT TO HIT THEM WITH MY SWORD!"

Gumbo will be heroically inspiring Groin to buff the ram action, and firing his bolt pistol wildly from the passenger seat (aim and shoot by default, half action shoot for the turn with the ramming/heroic inspire), if by some chance the Taurus slows enough for him to bail. If it's ever possible to attack with a chainsword from the passenger seat of a speeding vehicle then he will do that instead of firing

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Sergeant Gumbo Bulge, Riding shotgun in the Taurus
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

"E'S FUCKIN' MASSIVE!!" screams Gumbo, as the taurus hurtles towards the next beast. "BUT E'S DOWN RIGH' NOW LADS!"

The vehicle bounces and shudders, as does Groin, but Gumbo stands in his seat, perhaps to inspire his comrades, perhaps because its the only way he can get a good look out the windshield. He grabs blindly at Pirk, crouching hidden in the footwell, and pulls him into the open by his cuff. He jams a pistol into the young Scrunt's hand, and pushes him toward the window.

"Help me blas' tha' beastie Pirk!" he fiddles with the bead in his ear with one hand as he raises his pistol again, "All of ye! Focus yer fire, brin' down the last of 'em! I'm fuckin starvin' lads, les ge' a stew on. He glances back at Murdelia, then over at Groin. "Ear tha, Groin? We'll ave a lovely stew, but firs..." he shuffles toward the window himself now, leans out and carefully aims down the sights at the beast, rapidly increasing in size ahead.

"Dead on, full speed" he says, and opens fire.

Half action aim, half action shoot bolt pistol (32+10+10+5) at the big rabbit we are driving towards at speed, then heroically inspire Groin (43+10) (if he is inspirable in his current state) to ram the rabbit harder!

Also (using the laudhailer/comms) for a Get Them! (43+10) Order, and putting Pirk under ranged volley orders.

Phoon fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 19, 2016

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I would like to use a fate point on the dodge roll, if it doesn't work I guess it doesn't matter too much since we're far from the fighting and murdelia is nearby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Sergeant Gumbo Bulge, bruised and dusty
10/14 Wounds
1/2 Fate

"Oof. Tha' coulda been bad, eh lads?" says Gumbo, flat on his back and taking a moment to enjoy the slowly swirling clouds above.

"Lads?" he says, a little louder this time, someone groans nearby, so he sits up, but it turns out to just be Pirk, rolling around and mewling weakly, he spots his chainsword nearby.

He hauls himself to his feet and begins dusting down his uniform, then takes stock. The doc is alright, it seems, a little shook up, like himself, but already firing wildly at...something. A short distance away Groin lies alarmingly still (for Groin at least).

"Ere, doc" he mutters at Murdelia, "Thin' our Groin there salrigh? E ain' movin' much."

At that moment, Groin stirs, so Gumbo raises the laudhailer and points it at him.

"Ye feelin' alrigh' there Groin?" he yells, and the operator's head snaps round toward him, without recognition. "Still feelin' a little outta it are ya?" he shouts, taking a few steps backward and reaching down slowly to pick up his chainsword. He kicks Pirk, attempting to rouse his companion.

"Ow abou' ya 'av a little lie down, yeh? Get yer 'ead togevver." He lowers the laudhailer and hisses toward Murdelia, continuing to retreat slowly, nearly stumbling over a chunk of smoking meat. "Thinkin we oughta get ourselves outta 'is way yeh? Yeh."

Finally he points the laudhailer toward the rest of the crew, engaged with the last beast. "Only one of 'em left lads!! Give 'im the bis-ness!!

Half action heroic inspiration to help Groin's snap out of it test, Get Them order, half action move directly away from Groin.

• Locked thread