Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yurik Scraglagger
The Belly of the Beast
In Spaaaaace
Fate Points 2/2
Wounds 8/12
Local Area Map

Yurik stroked his scraggly beard as he contemplated the scrunts' next potential move. "If'n there's anythin' on this ship worth stealin', breakin', or eatin' before we hunt down this Inquisitor an' feed'im his own fackin' legs, it's gonna be thataway," he said, gesturing with his thinkin' stick in the direction of the voidship's core, home to fathomless catacombs lost to time and no doubt overtaken by all manner of horrors as evidenced by the grisly sigil adorning the nearby vent cover, but he had plenty of other scrunts to nobly sacrifice themselves on his behalf so Yurik's insatiable curiosity and lust for forbidden knowledge was overruling his highly tuned self-preservation instincts. "So that's the way we head."

If all roads lead in that direction than Yurik will go with whoever, if the groxhole is winning then let's go start a stampede aboard a spaceship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yurik Scraglagger
The Belly of the Beast
In Spaaaaace
Fate Points 2/2
Wounds 8/12
Local Area Map

Yurik scowled into the grox-scented gloom as he hastily scrutinized the tactical situation before them. A four-way intersection of passages converging upon their current location, one of which was blocked off, meant that there was a 100% chance of them being attacked from 75% of the avenues of approach which made for an overall danger quotient of some 750%, far too high for his liking. There were only so many other scrunts he could have "valiantly sacrifice" themselves to ensure his own survival, the bulk of their populace still scuttling about the subterranean complex they had claimed for their own, blissfully ignorant of matters transpiring far, far above the planet's surface.

To that end, something needed to be done to even the odds. Fortunately the Loremaster happened to have several somethings that could do so with suitably gruesome results.

Since everybody seems to be hanging out in the heap to the south, Yurik is going to try and keep the group from getting ambushed from the eastern side. To do this he's going to employ his Reusable Snare Mine, this time loading one of his incredibly dangerous Iron-Eater Grenades into the trap, then he'll also set up his mancatchers if he has time. I'd like to place them a little further in from the eastern doorway so they don't get melted by the grenade if it goes off, and IF Yurik has time I'd also like to throw some straw and muck on top of them to camouflage them, let me know if this is TOO MUCH STUFF to do in the time allotted. I mean we have our companions, so Hack can do some of the heavy lifting.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yurik Scraglagger
The Belly of the Beast
In Spaaaaace
Fate Points 2/2 -> 1/2
Wounds 8/12
Local Area Map

Yurik was indeed gibbering to himself for a variety of reasons, the most pressing and immediate being the fact that they were under attack by Necrons. Having jostled loose a vague understanding of Necrons from the disorganized refuse pile that was his overstuffed memory had caused further snippets of heavily redacted and highly heretical information to come cascading down the mounds of mnemonic detritus like a oozing trickle of toxic runoff, records of panicked astropathic communiques pleading for assistance and glimpses of pict-recorder footage of legions of implacable metallic skeletons vaporizing screaming soldiers bolts of hellish green light.

Even worse was the creatures' strange lack of psychic presence, appearing as little more than uncomfortably unnoticeable absences in the swirling eddies of the Immaterium. The Loremaster could see them well enough, or at least see glimpses of them as the other scrunts opened fire (figuratively and literally) upon them, but he couldn't see them with the senses that mattered far more to him than his default ones did. The idea of a being that could go completely undetected by the most powerful and fearsome psyker in the known universe (himself) was enough to send a cold chill running down his spine.

Even worse than that was that the Necrons were coming from every direction but the one he had cunningly festooned with traps which meant that all his careful planning, all his calculated odds and probabilistic threat matrices, were all for naught. Taken together it was little wonder that the only sound the Loremaster was currently making was a high-pitched, thready wheezing offset by the incongruously soothing hum of the glowing artifact affixed to the end of his thinkin' stick as he gesticulated wildly, swinging it this way and that as he underwent a brief but exceedingly thorough panic attack at the prospect of his imminent but exceedingly thorough demise.

Stress, as any Inquisitor worth his rosette could tell you (before he had to kill you), was an excellent whetstone for psychic potential. In those with latent potential, stress and trauma were often the catalysts which led to a full-fledged eruption of uncontrollable power. In those whose powers had already had time to develop, such catalysts could still produce potent and dramatic results. The fabric of reality began to ripple and writhe as Yurik's mind frantically began to claw at it, scrabbling for purchase like a rabid sump-rat, until something tore and gave way with a sound like a voxcaster dying a violent death and a refreshing smell of ozone, the air pulsing in a shower of sparks around the swarm of robotic insects bearing down on Grimply's position.

For my generously banked half-action Yurik will scuttle closer to the pallet of extremely sensitive nuclear missile components, not really for cover so much but just to reposition.

Okay, so I have 500xp floating around unspent since we last gained it, so I'm gonna go ahead and spend it right now because I'm an edgy rebel that doesn't conform to society's norms, man. First we'll spent 200xp to purchase the psychic power Assail which is a Telekinetic power that basically functions in a similar fashion to Yurik's Spontaneous Combustion power, it's the vanilla damage-dealer of the TK power tree, it does 1d10+Psi Impact Damage (Pen 2) to people by chucking random poo poo at them and if I score 3 DoS on an attack with it the target gets knocked back on their rear end.

But I'm really only buying THAT power so I can spend 300xp on the next one, which is Objuration Mechanicum. What this effectively does is let me use my terrifying brain sorcery to conjure Haywire Fields wherever I please. Now this seems like it would be a fantastic idea except while I have a generous TN of 80 to roll under, I wind up rolling an 88 which is not only a failure but also a natural double and you know what THAT means. It would be amusing to let this stand as a complete fuckup that also backfires horribly on all of us buuuuut I'm actually afraid enough of being eaten by Necrons that I'm going to spend a precious fate point to reroll that poo poo. 25 is a much better result. Down to 1 fate point.

So a 6 meter Haywire Field is now dropped square on the middle of the Scarab swarm. To determine how helpful this is I roll on yet another random loving chart and get a 6 on a 1d10 which is good enough to produce the following effect:

quote:

Major Disruption: All actions utilising technology, including firing Ranged weapons without the Primitive Quality, Tech-Use Tests, and any physical actions attempted while wearing power armour or employing cybernetics, suffer a –20 penalty. The Base Movement of anyone in power armour is reduced by 3. Melee weapons with technological components function as a Primitive weapon of the analogous type.

What does this do to Scarabs? I have no clue, but hopefully nothing good. This field persists and will reduce in intensity each round, so this round it'll be a Major Disruption, next round a Minor Disruption, and then on the third round it'll be spent entirely. Hopefully this is enough of a window to let the more shooty scrunts destroy them while keeping them from destroying said scrunts in turn. You're welcome.

• Locked thread