Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Zeno-25 posted:

Has anyone here read Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism by Sheldon Wolin of Princeton? It's been a few years since I read the book and it's almost midnight so I'll be brief, but it really is a more coherent work on similar thoughts as what the OP is talking about; basically how the triumph of global neoliberalism and the increasing wealth/income disparity has worked to entrench merely a facade of democracy, where the choices are carefully managed by wealthy corporate interests.

I've read it, and thought it was excellent. His analysis of the way in which we can arrive, by completely different means, at a place that isn't so different in some ways from traditional totalitarian regimes was interesting, as were the distinctions he drew in terms of the forms their control can take.

In fact, Hedges these days tends to reference Wolin's conception of inverted totalitarianism far more often than some idea of corporate fascism.

I don't mind Hedges, he's become a bit of a polemicist, and tends to harp on the same stuff and insist too much on strict pacifism (though given his experiences as a war reporter this is perhaps understandable). Frankly I appreciate his criticism of liberals far more than his criticism of the right. I recently re-read War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning, certainly his best work, and it still seems very relevant, especially with what's going on in Eastern Europe and the Middle East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread