Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Kharol posted:

How fortunate! I've been reading "Death of the Liberal Class" lately (my first Hedges book).

I could be totally off-base here, but I was under the impression that Hedges used fascism in the sense of "union of corporate and state power," rather than the "ideology of permanent violence" definition that seems to be more commonly used here. It might not be a very useful definition because it's so polarizing, though.

The part of "Death" that I've found most interesting is his description of the rise of a kind of authoritarian, paternalistic liberalism and the connections he draws to the Wilson administration and the CPI. Growing up in an extremely liberal/left-ish household, I never understood the right-wing accusations of elitism that were bandied around in the public sphere. Sure, I could conceive of an authoritarian left (Bolshevism, etc.), but I just didn't see it in wishy-washy liberalism, so that's one of my big takeaways. Are there any works that people can suggest that talk more about the rift between liberals and the left in America? Also, what are the arguments (if any) against Hedges' reading of the historical record in this instance? The connections between the Wilson administration, the CPI, public relations, and mass culture seem pretty damning.

That connection is the same one Glenn Beck makes repeatedly, and is the subject of at least one of his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Miltank posted:

Chris Hedges believes that the propaganda US citizens were subjected to under the Wilson administration more or less broke the country.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2010/05/27/glenn-beck-progressives-fight-for-american-hearts-and-minds/

"thanks largely to Glenn Beck, who in turn seems to have been influenced by a tiny cluster of academics at conservative outposts like Hillsdale College, Wilson has emerged as the Tea Party's No. 1 "President You Need to Hate," as he's described on the "Beck University" Web site,"
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history_lesson/2010/10/hating_woodrow_wilson.html

e: does Hedges list by name the propagandists responsible?

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 9, 2014

• Locked thread