Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Raven
Nov 8, 2014
He says it so casually...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Obligatum VII posted:

JordanKai, I have to disagree in regards to your dialogue choices. Jerk Link is the most hilarious thing ever.

Ain't no such thing as a rude hero of time. :(

This is incredible. I'm adding it to the OP! :dance:

Lord Raven posted:

He says it so casually...

Maybe he's been there before!

Mister Xenophobe posted:

Dear Op: I'm sorry that your thread turned to poo poo, you may want lock it forever and never come back.

It's okay. People are just very passionate about Zelda and that's fine. I'll allow it as long as people don't start getting too rude about it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

Well dang, our bird is gone. :( Link is not the kind of guy to just sit around waiting for it to come back, though! He's gonna channel his inner Ivan Vanko and do whatever it takes to get his feathered friend back!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

e:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 13, 2014

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Groose status: Loose.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You could say he tried to send you on...
A wild Groose chase.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

What's grood for the Groose is what's grood for the grander.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Now we're all Groosed up and ready to gro.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Guys, come on, you're Groosing me out over here.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I want to say that until Jordan told me about the "don't wind up" thing, I had a shitload of problems with the sword. I haven't gone back and retried the game yet since then though.

The bird is still bad and controls bad and I don't like it, but at least he's a cutie so it's okay.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Yeah I ended up getting really annoyed at Zelda here because she overexplains everything about flying the bird except the one thing you have to do to actually get it going. Not for my sake, because I picked up on it soon enough, but when you're trying to introduce your non-game-playing girlfriend to Zelda games, that "wave it up and down!" bullshit is not enough for her to grok it and she's hated the game ever since. Of course, in retrospect, despite being the "first in the timeline", this is a terrible Zelda game to use as an intro to Zelda games.

... That being said, I really love this game in spite of all its bullshit because the controls worked for me after a fashion and I think the story is really good. These first couple episodes do a great job of setting up Link and Zelda's friendship and groundwork for the rest of the game.

Then of course there's Groose. Groosin' for a bruisin'.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I always did like how Groose's pompous theme music goes all flat when Zelda starts berating him.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

kalonZombie posted:

I want to say that until Jordan told me about the "don't wind up" thing, I had a shitload of problems with the sword. I haven't gone back and retried the game yet since then though.

The bird is still bad and controls bad and I don't like it, but at least he's a cutie so it's okay.

Thing is, that's not the intutivie way to use them, because that's not how you swing a sword. I was struggling with the controls for at least the first three hours of the game. By the end of the first dungeon I hit a serious wall, which was memorable and pretty challenging, but still quite the grind.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I never got to play skyward sword, so I'm looking forward to getting to see the game in action. As far as other zelda talk...well, I've enjoyed most of the games that I've played, even if I haven't played most of them through to completion.

In different talk, I've always found that with Wii games in general, wiimote motions should always be kept simple. If you ever have to move the controller in a certain direction, you should never ever wind up, cause the game gets confused as hell. Basically every action in every game ever should be made from a neutral horizontal position in front of you, which is dumb, because that's not comfortable, but it's how it works.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Yeah!

Everyone posted:

Groose puns

Y-yeah. :saddowns:

Wild Knight posted:

Of course, in retrospect, despite being the "first in the timeline", this is a terrible Zelda game to use as an intro to Zelda games.

I like to look at Skyward Sword as more of a prequel than anything else. It stands fine on its own but you'll get a lot more out of it if you've played the other Zelda games before.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

We made everyone wait for it, but it's finally time for the Wing Ceremony! After that, it's finally time for the events that will kickstart the plot.

No, the whole game isn't a high school drama. I'm sorry. :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well I had to see how the loftwing looks with Link's hair :colbert:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The primary job of knights seems to be catching people who fall and otherwise birding around, so graduation based on bird tests seems like a decent idea to me.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Nihilarian posted:

The primary job of knights seems to be catching people who fall and otherwise birding around, so graduation based on bird tests seems like a decent idea to me.

It's not even that big of a deal; they just go for eight hour shifts holding different parts of a giant net underneath Skyloft.

As for Link having more character and Fi having to be the straight man in response, I actually liked Spirit Tracks' protagonist/helper combo more than anything else. The Wind Waker-style Link has always had a good amount of character to himself, but on top of that, when Zelda gets her body captured, her spirit is ejected from it and becomes your partner; and she gets loving pissed about it. She reacts like someone who got kidnapped and turned into a ghost would, and forms a really good double act with Link.

Coincidentally, it's also my favourite depiction of the relationship between Link and Zelda in the whole series, because it doesn't start with weird high school drama or act like one or both of them have zero attraction for the other. When Link first goes to meet Zelda on official train conductor business, he looks at her and immediately is lovestruck; and having them adventure together makes the relationship that grows from that feel far more natural and meaningful than having met a girl who gave you a couple of key items and then disappeared for most of the game until you rescued her because that's what heroes do.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
One of these days I really ought to play Spirit Tracks but I keep hearing things about the gameplay that sour me on it.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I always thought Midna was the best sidekick. She actually had an arc, from bitch to ally to friend. Plus, y'know, she knew when to shut up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

One of these days I really ought to play Spirit Tracks but I keep hearing things about the gameplay that sour me on it.

I personally liked it but my only problems were that, like Phantom Hourglass, your means of transport doesn't feel fast enough and that the spirit flute really sucked because it relied on using the microphone. I have a DS Lite so my microphone is about as big as the white tip on a stylus so that didn't work too well for me.

Aside from those things, I enjoyed the games.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
We need more Loftwing appreciation; let's appreciate these other massive birds being goofy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFwgCh1hh4U

John Liver posted:

I always thought Midna was the best sidekick. She actually had an arc, from bitch to ally to friend. Plus, y'know, she knew when to shut up.

Midna's definitely one of the best, it's just a shame she was in a boring game. Much as I love Twilight Princess, you're basically playing it for Midna.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

If you want to post real birds, you might as well post real Loftwings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TukosIxGtBc

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
...Huh, so the knight flying test thing is just a glorified game of Quidditch.

Also I cannot help but see Groose as a non-cyborg version of Franky from One Piece.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Your Computer posted:

Why are Zelda and Link riding on top of Donald Trump?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

I never really thought the gameplay was that bad; that might have to do with coming from Phantom Hourglass and seeing all the similarities that were improved upon (like being able to skip the parts of the central dungeon when you needed to get more map), though. It had a whistle on the train you could blow at any time, too.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
I like how Groose's henchmen are throwing eggs at Link while they're riding loftwings. "Yeah, just toss our unborn young around, while I'm carrying your non-flying rear end thousands of feet from the ground."

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Spirit Tracks has a few really good ideas and moments, but there is a whole lot of tedium and frustration to get to them. Mostly the overworld, which I think is hands down the worst in the series. At least Twilight Princess let you warp and didn't decide to kill you instantly with invincible death trains: Hell, Epona felt faster than the train.

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts
Groose's finger-point in video two looked awfully familiar.

oh yeah...

I have a feeling this image has been done before but my Google-fu is weak today so I made a quick and dirty version.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cofaigh posted:

Groose's finger-point in video two looked awfully familiar.

oh yeah...

I have a feeling this image has been done before but my Google-fu is weak today so I made a quick and dirty version.

That's amazing! I added his cronies too, if you don't mind :sax:

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts

Your Computer posted:

That's amazing! I added his cronies too, if you don't mind :sax:

Glorious, thank you.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Link may be the Hero of Time, but you're the Hero of the Thread, Your Computer. :allears:

cofaigh posted:

oh yeah...

So are you, Cofaigh!

The train riding is a little slow and can get frustrating at times but it doesn't take up too much time. Other than that it's really good so I'd say give it a shot!

John Liver posted:

Now hold on for a sec...

Cartheon posted:

I like how Groose's henchmen are throwing eggs at Link while they're riding loftwings. "Yeah, just toss our unborn young around, while I'm carrying your non-flying rear end thousands of feet from the ground."

It's pretty obvious that Groose and his friends are jerks but man, who would've thought they'd be so willing to commit animal genocide. :(

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'm pretty sure that the eggs they used were unfertilized. Kind of like chicken eggs you get at the grocery store.

Ometeotl posted:

If you want to post real birds, you might as well post real Loftwings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TukosIxGtBc

Holy crap that narrator is annoying.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

It's been three episodes in the works, but it's finally time to head to the surface and begin our adventure!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The starting area Skyloft has some music that sounds a lot like Soleanna, particularly around the 4 min mark of Ep.4. Anyone else hear it?

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 20, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Aaaaaand here's where I started actively disliking the game, as opposed to just being disappointed in it. This is going to be the last "I don't like this game" post from me since I don't want to bring the vibe of the LP or the thread down too much, but also because I didn't really play much past this part, so I'll try to be quick about it and never bring it up again.

First off, the setting so far feels way too much like one of the Tales games settings, and I really don't like those. The big ol' cartoony mushrooms in the forest, the kikwis... I dunno, they just feel so out of place to me for some reason. I know they really aren't, they or other similar things have been in previous Zelda titles, including the ones I really love, but for some reason they really rubbed me the wrong way this time. I can't really explain it!

Next... we only really saw it in two enemies, but from this point on it felt like EVERY ENEMY had a "swing the wiimote in a specific direction to kill this enemy" gimmick attached to it. Considering I didn't know the "don't wind up" trick, this meant that every enemy took ages to kill and it just felt like a very artificial way to make the game harder and extend its playtime. I have no clue how much easier they are to kill without windup in play though.

Also the Skyward Strike was picky. REALLY picky. I don't ever think I got it down very well. If you so much as waiver your arm for a single frame, you have to start all over again. This led to many times of me ALMOST getting it completely charged, then moving my hand the wrong way for a fraction of a second and losing the entire thing. I don't know if it's how I hold the wiimote or what, but man, I could never get it down on my first try ever.

Finally, I wasn't really feeling the graphics. It tried being this weird mix of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess and was just failing to capture anything I liked about either of those games. Gabeora looks like he belongs in an entirely different game. I really, REALLY don't like the lips on Link and Zelda. Everyone else is constantly fighting a war to try and invoke Wind Waker or Twilight Princess, but it looks really disjointed and weird. The only model I actually liked at this point was Groose, which may be a big part of why I like him so much despite disliking the rest of the game.

Still though, maybe it gets better. I never got past the end of the first dungeon anyway, so please keep that in mind.

tl;dr: I don't like this game for reasons but I also never got far. Groose is great.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

kalonZombie posted:

Still though, maybe it gets better. I never got past the end of the first dungeon anyway, so please keep that in mind.

Oh yes, yes it does. I had some rough patches with this game, but there are large sections later on that are genuinely great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
The game really should've let you faceplant when you were descending to the surface. The only upside is that you can faceplant every other time you use the sailcloth for anything.

Jordan, I demand you faceplant whenever possible.

• Locked thread