Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The starting area Skyloft has some music that sounds a lot like Soleanna, particularly around the 4 min mark of Ep.4. Anyone else hear it?

Oh nooooooo! :gonk:

John Liver posted:

Oh yes, yes it does. I had some rough patches with this game, but there are large sections later on that are genuinely great.

Definitely. I think the game is pretty good all throughout but it absolutely gets better and better as it goes on.

KieranWalker posted:

The game really should've let you faceplant when you were descending to the surface. The only upside is that you can faceplant every other time you use the sailcloth for anything.

Jordan, I demand you faceplant whenever possible.

I'll do it sometimes, just for you! Wouldn't want Link to get a concussion. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JordanKai posted:

Oh nooooooo! :gonk:

People are going to re-listen to that music and slowly the horror of it all will take hold of their souls. :emo:

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts
I'm remembering more and more why I loved this game on release and why I'll have to re-visit it the next time I have some time off. Especially for some of the later parts in the game.

The carpenter you were thinking of?

And something I've always wondered about the Kikwi's;

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Something sort of silly is that after the first time Fi chastises you for not opening your sailcloth she never will again, but will keep automatically using it at the last moment, so it's actually fastest to just let fi do it every time since you get to fall for as long as possible before slowing down.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

A quick doodle. and a very poorly traced fi

If only.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

I'll do it sometimes, just for you! Wouldn't want Link to get a concussion. :(

Good enough for me.

SystemLogoff posted:

A quick doodle.

Thank you.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

cofaigh posted:

The carpenter you were thinking of?

And something I've always wondered about the Kikwi's;

SystemLogoff posted:

A quick doodle. and a very poorly traced fi

If only.

You guys! :swoon:

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
The art that comes out of this thread makes the whole thing worth it.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

ReturnOfFable posted:

Agreed and we're only on page three

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

The update is a bit late, sorry about that! That hasn't weakened our resolve, though. It's time to head deeper into Faron Woods and meet the rest of the Kikwis!

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts
Such a breath of fresh air that the 'intro' section of Skyward Sword isn't too long, that they're not afraid to throw you into a pre-dungeon and dungeon soon enough.

Dowsing in first-person always made me a little uncomfortable though;

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

cofaigh posted:

Such a breath of fresh air that the 'intro' section of Skyward Sword isn't too long, that they're not afraid to throw you into a pre-dungeon and dungeon soon enough.

Dowsing in first-person always made me a little uncomfortable though;

The introductory section is quite long, but after that Skyward Sword really hits the ground running. The journey from the start of an area to the dungeon is usually quite brief and also really eventful. All the outside areas on the surface pretty much count as mini dungeons themselves. It also helps that the dungeons in Skyward Sword are some of the best and most finely tuned in the whole series.

ReturnOfFable posted:

Earnestly posted:

Agreed and we're only on page three

I agree as well. The art alone is worth doing the LP for! :3:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
If only I could do art or GIFs or something. I would love to mash up Skyward Sword and Blade Runner for "ENHANCE!"

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

JordanKai posted:

The introductory section is quite long
If I recall correctly, one of the things people kept on ragging on Twilight Princess about was the fact that it took like forever to get going (and it really did, which stopped my attempt at a replay dead in its tracks). It looks like instead of addressing this, they went ahead and made the introductory sequence even longer this time around (not sure if it actually feels as long as I haven't played Skyward Sword myself). The game seems awesome once you get to Faron Woods, though and it kind of makes me to want to play it after all.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

fixelbrumpf posted:

If I recall correctly, one of the things people kept on ragging on Twilight Princess about was the fact that it took like forever to get going (and it really did, which stopped my attempt at a replay dead in its tracks). It looks like instead of addressing this, they went ahead and made the introductory sequence even longer this time around (not sure if it actually feels as long as I haven't played Skyward Sword myself). The game seems awesome once you get to Faron Woods, though and it kind of makes me to want to play it after all.

I don't think the Skyward Sword intro sequence is quite as long as the one in Twilight Princess. Certainly didn't feel that way.

A larger problem in Skyward Sword is that Fi never seems to leave tutorial mode.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

What would a Zelda game be without dungeons? Not a lot of fun, that's for sure. Thankfully Skyward Sword has some hella good dungeons, and Skyview Temple is one of them!

e: Woops the commentary is out of alignment slightly beyond the halfway point. I'll have fixed versions up ASAP!

e2: Fixed uncut version is ready to be viewed! Fixed cut version is currently processing.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 27, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It took me an unreasonable amount of time to figure out how to get into this dungeon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The midboss music sounds like a haunted circus.

The beetle is really incredible. Even when not needed for puzzles I found it nice to scout out rooms and get my bearings.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I am a huge fan of the new, streamlined dungeons. I also like that the dungeons in this game are designed like they could be real buildings with real architectural purposes, so they aren't just lost ruins found in the middle of nowhere ... well, most of them aren't.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
I'm the exact opposite. One of my favorite dungeons in the series is death Mountain from the original. It has no purpose other than being a huge, labyrinthine dungeon. I'm an old-school D&D player. Dungeons don't need a reason to exist other than to be a dungeon. Sometimes I like a deep game with a lot of thought behind it and oozing with verisimilitude. Other times I just want a game built around puzzles and exploring with little need for reason behind why things are the way they are. Zelda typically fits into the latter category.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I'm just saying I appreciate the more structured, more direct approach to dungeon design. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm down for a long and challenging slog through a labyrinth ... if it can be kept interesting. There are several dungeons in the Zelda series that miss that last point. Lakebed Temple. Dancing Dragon. Temple of the Ocean King.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
Edit: Wow my timing is poo poo, apparently you just fixed the OP link for episode 6, nevermind.

Enjoying the videos.

bobthethurd fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 27, 2014

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I love you Jordan, but you are straight crazy if you think The Lakebed Temple and The City in The Sky were good dungeons.

And I'm kind of a opposed to the whole streamlined dungeon thing in this game. I'm with that other guy who said he likes labyrinths. It's just another note on the list of "things this game handholds you with".

Although I will admit that there is one dungeon in this game I think is Super Kicking Rad and I'm really excited to get there.

e: It's me,I'm the big poophead contrarian who was disappointed with this game.

SloppyDoughnuts fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 27, 2014

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts
The low-res stuff I didn't mind. I quickly tried to find where the loading thresholds on the island lay and where they intersected with the graphics so I could dismount and clip through the island before the landing sequence would load. The top of the little shopping district was one I think. I'm always reminded of the inspiration they took from Cezanne's paintings for the depth-of-field stuff which never disappoints, even if it is a little low-res.

Beedle or Beast-Jesus;

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Bruceski posted:

The beetle is really incredible. Even when not needed for puzzles I found it nice to scout out rooms and get my bearings.

Beetle really is a great tool to get you to focus on a room that has you stumped. It forces you to take in the environment without letting you perform any actions until you've either found something that might be what lets you progress or have explored the entire room.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I love you Jordan, but you are straight crazy if you think The Lakebed Temple and The City in The Sky were good dungeons.

I think both Lakebed Temple and City in the Sky are Good Enough™. I don't particularly like them but I don't mind going through them either. Also I really like the Zora Tunic. :3:

I also don't mind dungeons that have some sprawl and non-linearity to them, as long as the reason for that sprawl isn't purely to waste my time. I think most Skyward Sword dungeons give you enough freedom to move around while still providing you with enough guidance to not make you wander around aimlessly when you don't want to.

cofaigh posted:

Beedle or Beast-Jesus;

Oh man! :swoon:

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
City in the Sky was awesome from what I remember. The whole place was really cool and it was topped off by a nice boss fight.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

ReturnOfFable posted:

City in the Sky was awesome from what I remember. The whole place was really cool and it was topped off by a nice boss fight.

I'll give you that, it was one hell of a boss fight.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What, no extra Adventure Pouch pouch? It's like you want to only have minimal adventure!

That said, I liked the little touch at the end, when you were pushing through the Skulltula's web and it started crawling after you.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

fixelbrumpf posted:

SS's intro works a bit better because you're doing things that are actually engaging (rescuing big bird, Groose) instead of wrangling goats and catching fish for some dumb cat. It's still too lengthy for some people, but it also kinda has to be for the dive beneath the clouds to have any impact, unless they put the first dungeon above the clouds or something cuhrazy

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Looper posted:

SS's intro works a bit better because you're doing things that are actually engaging (rescuing big bird, Groose) instead of wrangling goats and catching fish for some dumb cat. It's still too lengthy for some people, but it also kinda has to be for the dive beneath the clouds to have any impact, unless they put the first dungeon above the clouds or something cuhrazy

The first dungeon IS the clouds. That would work. Right?

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

John Liver posted:

I'm just saying I appreciate the more structured, more direct approach to dungeon design. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm down for a long and challenging slog through a labyrinth ... if it can be kept interesting. There are several dungeons in the Zelda series that miss that last point. Lakebed Temple. Dancing Dragon. Temple of the Ocean King.

I'm a weirdo who liked Lakebed Temple and OoT's Water Temple. Though, they are not among my favorites, as far as dungeons go.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I didn't mind the water temple either, but I also played OOT only after it got remade, so the whole changing water level gimmick was something I was used to at that point.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

It's time to head deeper into Skyview Temple. Not just that, but we're also going to get to do more of what Skyward Sword is best at: introducing characters that are just a joy to watch. :allears:

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I love this first boss fight, because if you haven't gotten the hang of swordfighting by now, you will lose. Badly. There's no way for new players to cheese it - you either follow the pattern and stay on your toes, or you fail. The first time it happened to me I was like, "Did I just get my rear end kicked by a Zelda game?!" I got stuck here for quite a while, until I basically learned the sword controls by brute force.

Finally winning was extremely satisfying, it was challenging at a level that Zelda games don't usually go for.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

David Bowie stars as Girahim, the Bokoblin King.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fi's dancing is super good.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The thing I like the most about that fight is that it doesn't involve the beetle in any way. Skyward Sword shakes things up a lot with the key items. It's not just dungeon->key item->boss requiring obvious use of key item->overworld->dungeon for the whole game, and it's one of the reasons I liked Skyward Sword so much.

I should go play it again.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

David Bowie stars as Girahim, the Bokoblin King.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

Fi's dancing is super good.

I've always found it laughable. "Master, let me translate and convey this message from the gods with the power of...INTERPRETATIVE DANCE!"

You, sir, are a god among men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts

Amazing.

I took a slightly... uh... different line on Girahim.

• Locked thread