Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Out of all the ancient robots we could have repaired, why did we find the most obnoxious one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Scrapperrrrrrrr :argh:

I love and defend this game to death but Scrapper's introduction is such forced obvious padding and your reward for slogging through it is having to jump through a bunch of hoops to get an obnoxious Helpful Robot Buddy to let you complete obnoxious fetch quests, ugh.

I can't actually remember the part that's worse that you guys mentioned, so...that'll be interesting. The first 15 minutes of this video were the lowest point of the game for me.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Giving something for Fi to interact with is the number 1 thing that totally destroys whatever pacing this game had up until this point.

Scrapper is worse than Tingle, guys. Scrapper is the worst thing in the Zelda series.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
"Hey, what else should we do with Fi?"

"Scrap 'er."

"What a great idea! I'll get the design guys on it immediately!"

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010
I like scrapper.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Vateke posted:

I like scrapper.

Then you're part of the problem.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Vateke posted:

I like scrapper.

:frogout:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I actually didn't mind Scrapper for most of the game (except for a few parts later on), but perhaps I have a really high tolerance for bullshit characters.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Scrapper wouldn't be so bad if they did more with his interaction with Fi. I mean, there's potential for amusement there but because Fi has zero personality it amounts to nothing. So you just get Scrapper being a rude dick all the time.

Yes I will blame every problem with this game on Fi. She's really bad, even her dancing looks weird to me.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fi's dancing is cool.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I like the idea of Fi, but not the way she was handled. The designers seemed to forget that stoic, robotic characters only work when they have someone more dynamic to play off of. When forced to act as the mouthpiece of a mute hero, the fact that they really don't have anything interesting about their own personalities is shoved into the forefront, making them both bland and annoying.

Fi chiming in for the most obvious things, up to beeping when you have a low controller battery only makes her seem obnoxious and dumb in addition to boring. As if the Goddess decided that she had to install Clippy to her sword.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Vateke posted:

I like scrapper.

It's alright. I'm the guy who likes Tingle.

Geostomp posted:

As if the Goddess decided that she had to install Clippy to her sword.

It looks like you're fighting an Octorock. Do you need help?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I will never get enough of the harp sections (and there are a fair few) because of how serious the game tries to make the musical duo of Link just going up and down a scale like a child and Fi throwing her head back and screaming.

I actually really like this game though. Plus the next dungeon is one of the best in the series (the fourth dungeon tends to be really good in Zelda games, I've noticed. Forest Temple and the Arbiters Grounds are both fantastic as well, and I seem to remember the Dark Ruins in Link to the Past being good as well.)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Geostomp posted:

Out of all the ancient robots we could have repaired, why did we find the most obnoxious one?

The most messed up part is that Link doesn't go to get all the rest of the ancient robots to get them repaired as well. :(

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

JordanKai posted:

The most messed up part is that Link doesn't go to get all the rest of the ancient robots to get them repaired as well. :(

If they're all dicks like Scrapper I agree with Link's decision. :colbert:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
They are all cool and we will meet one later who is the coolest

Also Fi is my favorite Zelda companion except for birdhat so I guess it is me who has the weirdest opinion

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

They are all cool and we will meet one later who is the coolest

Also Fi is my favorite Zelda companion except for birdhat so I guess it is me who has the weirdest opinion

That guy should have been Scrapper. It even makes sense to have the robot buddy do that job. Instead we got awesomebot and angrybot.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
I remember!

Hey, you asked for it.

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT
In Europe, do they not instill their young with a healthy fear of strange men? I worry for you two.

Also, Master Shortpants is the best nickname Link has ever received.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Skyward Sword is clearly a game set during the Christmas Holidays. Link encounters a giant nutcracker and then a musical breaks out.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

Happy Valentine's Day everybody! :glomp:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

JordanKai posted:

Happy Valentine's Day everybody! :glomp:

If you talk to Cawlin during the day after getting the crystals from the ghost hand he talks about the dreams he was having.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or relieved about the fact that you didn't splice the dk rap over the song you play.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I liked that this game had sidequests you could solve in multiple ways and have the characters actually react to them in a permanent sort of way. I hope that carries over into the Zelder Scrolls game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

whitehelm posted:

If you talk to Cawlin during the day after getting the crystals from the ghost hand he talks about the dreams he was having.

Yeah, I'm aware! It's just that if I had talked to him about that now it would've made this video go over the 35 minute mark, and I'm not okay with that. :spergin:

I'm planning on showing it off next time we go to the academy though, so don't you worry!

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or relieved about the fact that you didn't splice the dk rap over the song you play.

There's plenty of other musical performances in the game, so there's still time! :devil:

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
It's pretty cool that Link only knows how to play scales with his harp and no one's noticed, even after he has to perform on stage.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Today we're going to return to Faron Woods! It's looking a little different these days, though...

John Liver
May 4, 2009

JordanKai posted:

I actually like these sections, mostly - stripping away your weapons and forcing you to confront dungeon-like problems with only your basic movement is a pretty good twist on the "sneaking mission" formula. Besides, each one gives you plenty of time and you've been over these areas already. They aren't that hard.

I just wish there was some equivalent of the Wallmaster here, because it would fit in perfectly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The only problem with silent realms is when you're on your tenth try because you started getting impatient and making mistakes. Otherwise I like em.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Shaking my head at Jordan, who didn't name the episode "Silent Hillm".

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Bruceski posted:

The only problem with silent realms is when you're on your tenth try because you started getting impatient and making mistakes. Otherwise I like em.

I can't stand them myself. I find them more stressful and tedious than impressive.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
I love the Majora's Mask shout-out with the toilet ghost.

Cartheon fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 18, 2015

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Geostomp posted:

I can't stand them myself. I find them more stressful and tedious than impressive.

This is the boat I'm in. I still haven't seen the end of this game because I gave up on the final Trial and never came back to it. :saddowns:

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

John Liver posted:

I actually like these sections, mostly - stripping away your weapons and forcing you to confront dungeon-like problems with only your basic movement is a pretty good twist on the "sneaking mission" formula. Besides, each one gives you plenty of time and you've been over these areas already. They aren't that hard.

I just wish there was some equivalent of the Wallmaster here, because it would fit in perfectly.

I haven't had the chance to play this game, but it doesn't look too bad so far. I would absolutely, positively hate these sections if they had a wallmaster type though. gently caress those things, I've stopped playing too many games because of those creepy bastards.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
The guardians seem to serve the same purpose as a Wallmaster would though? :confused: I mean functionally hitting you with an "instant kill" attack that just sends you to the beginning seems the same as a Wallmaster grabbing you and plopping you at the dungeon entrance.

Gearface
Feb 25, 2013
The best part about the traditional silent realm argument is that the reasons given by people who don't like them are the same as the reasons given by those who do.

It's always nice when people can completely agree on the parameters of the conversation and still come to really (sometimes violently) different conclusions.

For me, I hated the two most obvious antecedents to the silent realms - which would be the bug hunts in Twilight Princess and the phantom guards in Phantom Hourglass - but I love the poo poo out of the Skyward Sword silent realms. I think it's just a difference in presentation: this feels almost survival horror.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think what makes the silent realm work for me (and this is definitely opinion rather than fact) is that they don't outstay their welcome. Bug hunts had new zones to learn and tended to scatter things since the zones were rather large, Phantom Hourglass has you redoing the same floors even if they give some shortcuts later, but silent realms are maybe 10 minutes each aside from failures, you're in you're out you're on with the game. Only the last one gave me a lot of trouble, and that's mainly from a single part of it that I found rather tricky (more details on that will wait until the LP gets there and I can see if my memory matches up).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I liked the Twilight Princess bug hunts. The Silent Realms, not so much. It's the timer that makes it stressful, and the fact that one mistake resets all of your progress.

In the end, 90 seconds is plenty of time, but it still made me frantically run around trying to find the next tear. It didn't help that it took me a long while before I noticed that the flower in the top left shows you how much time you have left.

By the way, in how many games has the toilet ghost been, now?

Majora's Mask was the first. It was also in one of the Oracle games, as part of a trading sequence. And Skyward Sword. I can't think of any others.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I never liked the bug hunts because, like anything that involved wolf senses, I never saw a reason to turn them off while I was looking, so it's not even like I was exploring a new area that I'd then see from another perspective later. It was just a black void with the occasional spark floating around.

I honestly liked the Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks central dungeons, though I entirely get the complaints about PH's one and really liked the ways ST improved on it.

So yeah, I really, really liked the Silent Realms. Precisely because they were so terrifying, haunting, eerie; yet utterly harmless and contained. The Lanayru one I distinctly remember had a lot of me frantically outrunning the walking lanterns, which made it all the more satisfying to beat it on the first try.

Also that means to me that there's a Zelda game that finally has a good mandated stealth section, followed closely by Spirit Tracks, where Zelda literally says to you "Did someone see you? Ah, doesn't matter anyway. Let's keep going!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The one bad thing about silent realms for me is that you cant revisit them to get more dusk relics until later.

And im a big fan of getting upgrades as early as possible so that ticked me off.

• Locked thread