Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Zoig posted:

Yeah, the main draw is the puzzles, the perspective based platforming, despite being used as a main selling point, isn't really the strong point of the game. At this rate we are going now, It's gonna be a while before we get to the puzzles, but when we do we are gonna have plenty to talk about.

Also I didn't say it before but yeah, Bit of overuse of chill there.
The sad part is, the perspective-based platforming brings out a lot of cool gimmicks that mix up the formula nicely, but many of them get used once without fully developing their potential. Meanwhile, many of the puzzles use the same few tricks over and over again. The concepts for the puzzles are still neat, but when you come up against the third or fourth iteration of the same basic idea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
So what's the nature of the code behind the writing? My half-assed baby math puts us at just shy of a direct replacement cipher (6 sides x 4 orientations = 24 letters). Will that be something you actually need to do to solve any puzzles? Last time I played this game I was...I'm gonna say halfway through it and if there was any decoding to do it sure as hell wasn't clicking for me.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 23, 2014

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Dr. Buttass posted:

So what's the nature of the code behind the writing? My half-assed baby math puts us at just shy of a direct replacement cipher (6 sides x 4 orientations = 24 letters). Will that be something you actually need to do to solve any puzzles? Last time I played this game I was...I'm gonna say halfway through it and if there was any decoding to do it sure as hell wasn't clicking for me.

OP isn't doing the puzzles yet but you've got everything you need to work it out as of last video.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I think you're doing a great job with the LP. While I can see the points that you may not be showing a lot at once, and might be glossing over parts, I don't think it detracts at all. To be honest, anything I've noticed that you ignore initially I just forget about. If it's important, you're bound to talk about it, right?
And to be honest, there was a lot of "this part! -wink wink, nudge nudge-" going on in the thread at the start. That's kind of obnoxious to do in such a chill (:allears:) thread, but it does seem to have toned down now so it's a moot point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

frozentreasure posted:

Yes, the videos aren't overly long, and I said they wouldn't be that long at the start; this is because, like a lot of games, it's not that long when you go through it in an organised fashion. If I did videos lasting 30-60 minutes, we'd be at the ending by the next update. I don't do anything at the end for the same reason I don't say a whole lot: I'm trying to let the atmosphere of the game come through.

I think this is the problem. The attitude that there have to be a lot of videos to make a good LP. It doesn't matter as long as you present the content completely. Padding it out actually detracts and that is why you are getting a lot of guff. People who don't even know the game are saying "Hey, why are you ignoring all these things that I can see?"

I get wanting to show the atmosphere, but that happens on its own. Trying to force it is just padding. Three minutes at the end of videos of you swimming in one direction or watching the screen colors change is just masturbation.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think the 'swim for 3 minutes at the end' gimmick is getting tiring, but other than that I like this LP style. I am sure I missed a LOT of things frozentreasure glossed over, and I'm interested to see what this game is hiding. It's not as obvious as some of you seem to think.

I also don't think the episodes are too short.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Waltzing Along posted:

I think this is the problem. The attitude that there have to be a lot of videos to make a good LP. It doesn't matter as long as you present the content completely. Padding it out actually detracts and that is why you are getting a lot of guff. People who don't even know the game are saying "Hey, why are you ignoring all these things that I can see?"

I get wanting to show the atmosphere, but that happens on its own. Trying to force it is just padding. Three minutes at the end of videos of you swimming in one direction or watching the screen colors change is just masturbation.

I don't know what you're getting at. The length of the videos is fine as it is. If there's a reasonable stopping point it's better to make the cut and end the video rather than going on and on and on.

Whenever there's something that's ignored at that point in time I simply assume that it's going to be important later, It's not a bad thing to leave some questions open for the viewer, especially when the game seems to be about discovering this weird world.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I didn't really say it before but I do agree that the short videos are a problem, but not necessarily because they are short, Rather the delay between the videos is the problem. see, most LPs done with short videos these days either are updated very often, mixed in with other stuff, or just dense in content. While exploring fez is fun to do while playing it, and its very relaxing, its also devoid of things to talk about right now. later I'm pretty sure we will have interesting platforming gimmicks to talk about and puzzles for people who haven't already solved to figure out and perhaps some ingame history to talk about but right now its pretty lacking in viable discussion material.

I cant rush you mind, and frankly the videos are great, but I will admit it kills me a little waiting 3-5 or so days for a 10-15 minute video. I guess I've been spoilt by other LPs.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think the 'swim for 3 minutes at the end' gimmick is getting tiring, but other than that I like this LP style.

My sentiment exactly, though I'm in the boat of having longer videos. There's a ton to see and do after the first pass, most of which I probably never found, so I'm pretty sure you'll have plenty of content to put into future videos.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Caught up with the videos, it's really well done so far (though the swimming gimmick is getting a little much). Design-wise, the mines are one of my favourite bits of the game (my absolute favourite room might be showing up in the next video or two), and the Ruins and Bell Tower paths do a great job of acquainting you with the basic mechanics before mixing things up later on.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Waltzing Along posted:

I think this is the problem. The attitude that there have to be a lot of videos to make a good LP.

That's not my attitude, but okay.

quote:

It doesn't matter as long as you present the content completely.

Glad we agree.

Zoig posted:

I cant rush you mind, and frankly the videos are great, but I will admit it kills me a little waiting 3-5 or so days for a 10-15 minute video.

It kills me as well, frankly. Between work, trying to set up my own business, and finding moments where I can actually record without obnoxious background noise, the days just end up passing by pretty quickly.

Everyone who's bored with the ending of the videos: I would cut the endings off a little sooner than I am if the day/night cycle was a little quicker; I've been mostly doing it to give people something to look at and make GIFs out of if they wanted, so I usually want it to be long enough for the scenery to actually change noticeably. I'm sorry if that's a bit annoying; having said that, I'm not going to get rid of it completely (maybe tone it down a little), because I don't see the harm in it. I'll promise this now: every video in Exploration Mode ends this way. If you see me move the camera to stare into the scenery, you can safely assume there's nothing else that's going to happen in the video, so you can either tune out and listen to the music for a minute or two, or just close the video, I don't mind.

Oh, and here you go.

Part 05: Welcome To The (Light)House Of Fun

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 24, 2014

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
I really don't think anyone is interested in making gifs...

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I'm enjoying the LP just the way it is. I've never played this game, but FrozenTreasure's zen approach is highlighting the atmosphere wonderfully.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, the game is quite peaceful when not dealing with the puzzles.

Anyways, Industrial Zone! I think this is the first world after the ocean that most people find, since the others require some observation to notice. I didn't much care for it, but that may be because the other areas are just cooler. still, it has some of the better platforming in the game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Did I miss it or have you completely ignored the map so far?

E: I could have sworn I saw it for a second in one of the vids, but nothing since and no mention of it at the time.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 24, 2014

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Waltzing Along posted:

E: I could have sworn I saw it for a second in one of the vids, but nothing since and no mention of it at the time.

He springs in and out sometimes, but doesn't point it out.

I like to think that the Industrial Zone is where everyone lived when they were building that sort of Privet-School-Mining-Blade-Runner town back at the unlockable doors.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I kind of dig the two or so minutes wading off into the distance at the end there. It's really relaxing. Also chalk me up as somebody who is going to give this game another shot now that I know I should be expecting less "super challenging platforming" and more "interesting atmosphere and maybe a mystery or two."

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

He explained it when it first became available and used is a couple of times since.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Waltzing Along posted:

I jumped in and out of it in the first few videos when I couldn't remember if I'd gotten everything in the areas I'd been through; and also to show how the eight cube door was a stub. For the most part, I don't really need to look at it when I'm just exploring around; and most people when they play the game for the first time don't seem to use it either. I got Scruffy to record an hour of the game (which I'll post when we hit NG+, since there's some spoilers in there), and he never checked the map while he was in there, despite going to quite a lot of different screens. When I start solving the puzzles I'll be using it a lot more as sort of a checklist.

Posting another update now, 'cause I'm gonna be quite busy the rest of the week. The industrial zone has about the most difficult platforming overall that we'll see through the game, for anyone wondering if they should avoid playing because of that.

Next update I get to be excited about lore and worldbuilding; the depth of the narrative of the game is really spectacular when you start thinking about it, and I'd love to hear other people's opinions of the areas we've been through so far (bearing story spoilers in mind, people who've played).

Part 06: Wind(mill) Me Up And Watch Me Go

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 28, 2014

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013
I played Fez until it got too hard and I got tired of trying to navigate with that map. Really curious about the upcoming puzzle stuff and I'm enjoying this lp so far :)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It does make sense for the industrial area to have all these spinny bits. They make satisfying noises when they spin, I think.

Also I like the wildlife. Little frogs with pixel cheeks, and the birds just flying everywhere. I wonder where their nests are.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Zoig posted:

Rather the delay between the videos is the problem.

Does anyone else think this about the first few videos, or am I wasting my energy trying to push these out every other day?

Part 07: Dizzying Heights

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
frozentreasure, you are providing free entertainment put together thoughtfully with your own, distinct style. You should feel no obligation to produce content at any rate other than what you think is best. I know that Nofriendo has a reputation for being demanding and it can seem like some of the participating audience sounds entitled, but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of other, quieter people who appreciate the work you do, whenever you do it. I, personally, would rather that you enjoy making this LP as a hobby than that you start to treat it like a job or an obligation. Happy LPers make better LPs, while stressed LPers get burned out and abandon projects.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm liking this LP; I got too annoyed to continue playing it myself, and your style of commentary is pretty good.

The Milkman Cometh
Sep 13, 2007

Blacksuit posted:

frozentreasure, you are providing free entertainment put together thoughtfully with your own, distinct style. You should feel no obligation to produce content at any rate other than what you think is best. I know that Nofriendo has a reputation for being demanding and it can seem like some of the participating audience sounds entitled, but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of other, quieter people who appreciate the work you do, whenever you do it. I, personally, would rather that you enjoy making this LP as a hobby than that you start to treat it like a job or an obligation. Happy LPers make better LPs, while stressed LPers get burned out and abandon projects.

This. Fez has a lot of content and I'd rather see it all then have you burn out halfway through.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

frozentreasure posted:

Does anyone else think this about the first few videos, or am I wasting my energy trying to push these out every other day?

This is your LP, you can make it take as long or short as you drat well please.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Yeah, seriously, you go at a pace you feel comfortable with.

Saying that, I'm excited for the next update because the next screen you're going to has my favourite mechanic in the game. It gets a bit overshadowed for various spoiler-y reasons, but to me it (and the industrial zone as a whole really) takes best advantage of the whole rotation mechanic for some neat platforming.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I will admit I am enjoying the shorter update delay, but frankly, go at your own pace and don't worry about needing to push out updates asap. This is your lp, and you are the one putting effort into it and not anyone else, so if you need to slow down then you do that.

With that being said, if its possible to keep this update rate up without any trouble and you don't mind it then go ahead and keep it up.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Zoig posted:

With that being said, if its possible to keep this update rate up without any trouble and you don't mind it then go ahead and keep it up.

It's a busy time of the year for a lot of things. If I get a long enough period of silence around the house, I can at least try recording a batch of commentary and stagger things out a little.

In the meantime, I'm curious of people's opinions: those of you who haven't played through the game, what do you think of the owls?

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

owls are weird, and apparently ominous.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

frozentreasure posted:

In the meantime, I'm curious of people's opinions: those of you who haven't played through the game, what do you think of the owls?

According to my research and all sources, owls fall into the category of birds. And birds are jerks. Therefore owls are jerks.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I think someone else did an LP of this game previously, or at least I remember one existing, and they played more naturally, not trying to avoid obvious puzzles and making note of information the game gave when it became available. There wasn't any "sequence breaking", but at the same time they didn't purposely avoid them either. I think the goal was to make an attempt to solve every puzzle while figuring out the reason you're supposed to assume the solution for the more BS ones. That's kind of what gets to me about this one.

Yet, you've also went and explained other things. Like the evolution chart, or whatever it is.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Cheez posted:

I think someone else did an LP of this game previously, or at least I remember one existing, and they played more naturally, not trying to avoid obvious puzzles and making note of information the game gave when it became available. There wasn't any "sequence breaking", but at the same time they didn't purposely avoid them either. I think the goal was to make an attempt to solve every puzzle while figuring out the reason you're supposed to assume the solution for the more BS ones. That's kind of what gets to me about this one.

Yet, you've also went and explained other things. Like the evolution chart, or whatever it is.
Yeah, it was a part of this puzzle platformer megathread by Occulatio and Mott514 (aka Matt and Matt). Most of the games from that megathread have been archived, but Fez hasn't, even though they pretty much completed it.

Like most of the LPs in that thread, the format was blind pilot/experienced co-pilot, so the approach was always going to be a lot more natural. But saying that, vive la difference: this way we get a bit more attention paid to things like the platforming and what's behind the numbered doors. There are one or two puzzles we've seen so far that I feel like frozentreasure could have solved without breaking stride, but for me it's working out overall.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That was a QR code, that was! And strangely enough it fit right into the art/writing style of these people.

frozentreasure posted:

Dot going "Listen to the owl" made me think it was going to be one of those Ocarina of Time owl talks. It wasn't. Therefore, Fez owl = good owl.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Does the fez wearing old man in the foreign village not speak "English", or is he a plot point that I need to edit this out for?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
What happened to the megathread, is it dead or on hiatus? I never heard about why it got closed.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

BioEnchanted posted:

What happened to the megathread, is it dead or on hiatus? I never heard about why it got closed.
They started a new thread here, but for reasons unknown it never made it to Page 2 :(.

-snip-

e: oh wait, in the foreign village. Never mind. Thought you were talking about Geezer for a sec.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 28, 2014

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I remembered something creepy about that owl statue.

You know how if you stand in front of a door dot will show you where it leads? well if you stand in front of the door leading to the owls room it is staring at you through the door.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I say do the updates whenever, but actually do the LP as if you were someone playing the game, rather than someone who has played it and wants to show it off. I get that there are secrets that you wouldn't be able to solve at this point. But there are also some that you would take a crack at because players are curious. If the map shows there is a secret, and a player would know this, it should be in the LP.

Otherwise, when you come back to it, it's just like "oh btw, check this thing out." It's more interesting, to me, if you point out a secret and either show it off, or say, well...can't do this now.

For instance, the one in the achievements. There is no reason at all to hold that one back because it is obvious to anyone who looks in the achievements. Some people don't look at them, but many people do and anyone who did would immediately do it and be like whoa check that out.

In other words, stop glossing over stuff.

Also, in this last vid you skipped over something incredibly important when there was no reason not to explain it then and there.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Why would a civilisation seek to build tall structures? Well, despite the bittyness of their construction, perhaps the beings of Fez did it for the reasons humans did and still do today: To give a metaphorical penis to their social group and to show other social groups that theirs is the biggest of all.

Due to the different languages now spoken by the various inhabitants of Fez-World, one may also point to the Tower of Babel story.

Although, I like the "searching for something high up in the sky" explanation, I'll use it for the post-apocalyptic inhabitants to describe the irradiated remains of mega-cities when I get around to running a RPG over Google Talk. "They say that the First-Men built the sky-spikes to reach the heavens and steal their secrets. Now shut yer yap and eat yer rat-on-a-stick!"

• Locked thread