Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I say do the updates whenever, but actually do the LP as if you were someone playing the game, rather than someone who has played it and wants to show it off. I get that there are secrets that you wouldn't be able to solve at this point. But there are also some that you would take a crack at because players are curious. If the map shows there is a secret, and a player would know this, it should be in the LP.

Otherwise, when you come back to it, it's just like "oh btw, check this thing out." It's more interesting, to me, if you point out a secret and either show it off, or say, well...can't do this now.

For instance, the one in the achievements. There is no reason at all to hold that one back because it is obvious to anyone who looks in the achievements. Some people don't look at them, but many people do and anyone who did would immediately do it and be like whoa check that out.

In other words, stop glossing over stuff.

Also, in this last vid you skipped over something incredibly important when there was no reason not to explain it then and there.

I disagree, as plenty of people have played it how you reccomended and frankly there is a glut of fez lps, so they way its being done here makes it different in a way that is enjoyable for some. If he changed format it would go from memorable and relaxing into just another (quite good) fez lp.

I will admit I am anxious to get to the puzzles, but for people who have never seen it before it also provides a way of seeing what the game is like without getting into some of the bigger puzzles so that if they decide they want to buy the game (which is 75% off on steam right now, by the way. only 2.50$) then they can buy it and enjoy all the puzzle solving instead of just the ones they have not seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Zoig posted:

but for people who have never seen it before it also provides a way of seeing what the game is like without getting into some of the bigger puzzles
Yes that. I have not played the game before. At least I have not played much. Basically only the intro and then dismissed it. But this LP makes me want to try it again.
Just let him do the LP, people. Out of all the threads I've seen this one has some of the most unjustified criticism. Seriously. Duration of the videos is not an issue and the way and order in which stuff is best shown off or even IF it's even shown is up to the LPer. Unless there's votes of course, in that case gently caress the LPer and make him do the hardest poo poo first. Also name everyone dongs or use names with the word goon in them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The square-head city's music is one of my favorite tracks in the game.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

It's a busy time of the year for a lot of things. If I get a long enough period of silence around the house, I can at least try recording a batch of commentary and stagger things out a little.

In the meantime, I'm curious of people's opinions: those of you who haven't played through the game, what do you think of the owls?

The fact that they creep you out means they're important, and the fact that the stone ones are bigger than you worries me. We've seen several normal-sized ones, though, so I'm not really sure - I'm looking forward to seeing if there are, in fact, Giga Owls somewhere that you haven't been to yet.

They have something big to do with the plot, I'm sure - they can look around without The Fez, and they got their own bit of poetry. I'm just not sure if their purpose is sinister or benign - or, from the Dark Souls storytelling of this game, simply there.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Valgaav posted:

The fact that they creep you out means they're important, and the fact that the stone ones are bigger than you worries me. We've seen several normal-sized ones, though, so I'm not really sure - I'm looking forward to seeing if there are, in fact, Giga Owls somewhere that you haven't been to yet.

Or what if they're somewhere he already was DUN DUN DUNNNN.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Or maybe it's a quote from the game.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Before I get to anything else.

Part 08: Industrial Revolutions

Cannot believe I nearly went through the whole industrial area without using that pun.

Roro posted:

Does the fez wearing old man in the foreign village not speak "English", or is he a plot point that I need to edit this out for?

There are two fez wearers in that village. Neither of them speak English, no. No one in the village speaks English.

Waltzing Along posted:

I say do the updates whenever, but actually do the LP as if you were someone playing the game, rather than someone who has played it and wants to show it off.

Okay, knowing full-well the risk I take here, here's why I'm not doing that.

1) I've already recorded all of NG.
2) That LP already exists on SA, as has been mentioned, and it exists hundreds of times over on YouTube itself.
3) Every single blind LP of a puzzle game is atrocious. All of them. It is impossible to LP a puzzle game without upsetting at least one person, because the LPer is guaranteed to, at at least one point, spend too long on one puzzle, boring someone who has already figured it out, or go too quickly, irritating people who weren't able to solve it as quickly as you.

It also skews the LPer and the viewer's opinion of the game if the LPer just gets stuck on a puzzle that they might not have been looking at with the right frame of mind, or without the necessary information; like Dark Souls, not understanding the game completely can lead to an unfair assessment of it.

I admit that this, quite clearly, isn't a perfect solution, but the beauty of Fez is that it is literally half a puzzle game and half a platformer; you don't need to solve a single puzzle to beat the game1, and that's what I'm trying to show people. I can't think how I could have made it clearer in the OP that puzzle solving was not going to be the focus until NG+.

Puzzle solving is not going to be the focus until NG+. Maybe that'll do it.

I want to show what Phil Fish successfully tricked people into thinking through the whole of Fez's development: that there is an entire, complete game here that is just about perspective-shifting platforming through a richly detailed world.

If people haven't played Fez, I want this LP to be an opportunity to see the game and experience the world. They can get a look at the game without having puzzles ruined for them; and if they're dying to know what solving some of them will lead to and figured the solutions out already, they can go ahead and buy the game for themselves. It's worth buying. If people have played Fez, I want this LP to be an opportunity to remind them of the world that it takes place in and give them a chance to just relax in it, and see a new perspective (ahaha) on the game.

Separate point: I know you really want me to point out a certain something in the game so you can talk about what a bad design decision you think it is; that's not going to happen right now, and if I was playing this as if I was just playing it then the thought wouldn't even occur to me, as it didn't when I first played the game. Even if I wouldn't be spoiling it for people by pointing it out, you talking about the design decision would definitely be spoiling for people. If you're itching to talk about it so much, I'm sorry; deal with it *shades descend from heaven. I don't even own shades, but there they are*. It's not like you'll never have your chance to talk about it; we're going to be seeing and doing everything, just…

chill.

Valgaav posted:

they can look around without The Fez

The new batch of villagers also could operate in all four perspectives without the use of a fez.

Zoig posted:

(which is 75% off on steam right now, by the way. only 2.50$)

Thank the hexahedron I remembered the sale before buying a copy last week(I'll be giving away a copy of the game later in the thread).

1. Technically a lie, but I'll get to that later

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 14, 2014

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I love the underground area. Never thought I would find the 4-color Gameboy palette to be so pretty.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Glad you like the platforms on tracks too :). It's a weird room because, as much as I love the mechanic in it, it's oddly bare - there are no cube bits and no treasure chests, it's just something you make your way through as progress towards the sub-gate at the end of the branch. And it's ultimately more well-known as the room you go to to unlock the entrance to the Sewers.

Still, the Sewers are pretty cool in their own right, and the main piece of music for them is great. I think they were the last hub I found when playing the game for myself, and - like you say - I probably found them in New Game Plus.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

This might be a dumb question but how can you complete the game to unlock new game+ while missing a major area?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Completing puzzles can supplement collecting cubes. If you do enough of them it doesn't matter how many cubes you collect.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sorry for being a putz.

I didn't understand that you were going for a platform solve then a puzzle solve.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 30, 2014

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Deathwind posted:

This might be a dumb question but how can you complete the game to unlock new game+ while missing a major area?
IIRC, in the aforementioned other LP, not only does Matt not find the Sewers until NG+, he doesn't find the Industrial Zone until NG+. It helps that the Industrial Zone is probably the most platforming-focused and least secret-filled of all the hubs, so if you head in a different direction at the start and puzzle-solve as you go you can possibly reach the ending before it.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 30, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

The first half is EXPLORATION MODE, where I'm going to explore every inch of the map that has cubes and cube bits in it. Once we've collected all 32 cubes and ascended to New Game Plus, we'll begin PUZZLE MODE, where I'll cover all of the proper puzzles in the game.

I don't understand how this explanation in the OP apparently wasn't clear enough to some.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I think it's more the method of ignoring all the stuff that is a puzzle that annoys people than the fact that it's actually happening. It highlights everything way more.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cheez posted:

I think it's more the method of ignoring all the stuff that is a puzzle that annoys people than the fact that it's actually happening. It highlights everything way more.

The LP's been a lot more interesting than it otherwise would be exactly because frozentreasure hasn't thus far been going 'gee gawrsh this is part of a puzzle we'll see the answer to later!' at everything and instead just quietly hinting at suspicious bits or else letting the viewer realise it's a puzzle. Pointing everything out bluntly would kill the tone.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
The problem is, which I just said and you conveniently ignored, is that trying too hard to avoid things makes it more obvious that there's something to do, not less.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Cheez posted:

The problem is, which I just said and you conveniently ignored, is that trying too hard to avoid things makes it more obvious that there's something to do, not less.

This was exactly Stelas' point and is probably the desired effect.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cheez posted:

It's already obvious that there's something to do because it's in the OP. Together with the note 'feel free to try to work things out ahead of time because I won't tell you'. Being straight-up told what's up would kill the atmosphere of the initial exploration.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Indeed. I haven't played the game and I'm certain I've missed a LOT of puzzles just because Frozentreasure hasn't pointed them out. I'm interested to see what I've missed... once we get to that point.

I don't feel annoyed by that at all. On the contrary, whenever I do notice that he fails to point something out, I'm thinking "Hah! I wonder what that's gonna be about." Either you don't notice something and Frozentreasure doesn't point it out so you're not distracted from his style or you DO notice and you don't mind because you know it's something that'll certainly come up later.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

In other news, I just got caught up on videos 7 and 8. It feels like the school in 7 is particularly useful for deciphering their language - I haven't started actually trying to crack anything yet but it does seem to give both an 'order' for the cube faces and the wall with eight symbols looked suspiciously like it was a number system at first glance, with the way the shapes got more complex.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I don't like the sewers - the puzzles are fine, but adding the gimmick of "the colour palette goes to poo poo and also you can't see stuff well unless it's in your sight bubble" just drags it down. I was so glad when I finished everything there.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I swear I've seen a sewer area before, but never an entire region, complete with a hub.

drat, there's a lot more to this game than I ever thought. It's really a shame Fez 2 will never be made.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

biosterous posted:

I don't like the sewers - the puzzles are fine, but adding the gimmick of "the colour palette goes to poo poo and also you can't see stuff well unless it's in your sight bubble" just drags it down. I was so glad when I finished everything there.

Maybe it's just me, but having this on a big screen made it so I barely registered it as making anything hard to see. The darkness and the music just felt right, and was pretty soothing on the long evenings that first week where I was hammering through this game for the first time. But if your brightness was set for the rest of the game, yeah, I can see it being pretty jarring.

frozentreasure, thank you for making this happen. This is a way of showing off the game I wanted to exist out there. (Was even thinking of doing it myself some time but recording equipment and me do not get along.) I think I know how you're going to have to cap off the exploration parts, but that's a ways off from now. Hope things go smoothly for you.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Let's see how many of those endorsements for the way I've chosen to play stick around after this video.

Part 09: Application of Rotation Theory

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

frozentreasure posted:

Let's see how many of those endorsements for the way I've chosen to play stick around after this video.

Part 09: Application of Rotation Theory

Well, I'm sticking around. I just did a replay of the game and want to see what you have to say about certain things coming up.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone been saving those end screens? They'd make for a lovely addition to the OP as wallpapers. Dancing Gomez :3:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

That goddamn floating hypercube needs to get out of the way so I can get a proper scan on that thing. :argh:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, I'm sticking around. I just did a replay of the game and want to see what you have to say about certain things coming up.

You are super excited about this one part, aren't you? It's literally all you talk about. frozentreasure, you should do a co-commentate when the time arrives.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

IIRC, in the aforementioned other LP, not only does Matt not find the Sewers until NG+, he doesn't find the Industrial Zone until NG+. It helps that the Industrial Zone is probably the most platforming-focused and least secret-filled of all the hubs, so if you head in a different direction at the start and puzzle-solve as you go you can possibly reach the ending before it.

I finished the game without finding the sewers either, so it's definitely possible.

Anyway, new LP viewer, very enjoyable so far.

bobbertoriley
Sep 6, 2011

I love Gomez's face whenever he collects/completes a cube. He's just so happy! :yayclod:

Manuel Calavera posted:

Has anyone been saving those end screens? They'd make for a lovely addition to the OP as wallpapers. Dancing Gomez :3:

Yes, let's share Gomez's photo album: "What I did on Summer vacation"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now if only they were a bit bigger (like 1920x1080.) But still, thanks a bunch :3:!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I gradually leaned closer and closer to my mic while recording this, and I tried adjusting levels to compensate. There might be some points where it gets too loud or quiet.

Part 10: The Other Kind Of Chilling

Roro posted:

You are super excited about this one part, aren't you? It's literally all you talk about. frozentreasure, you should do a co-commentate when the time arrives.

He's going to be waiting awhile. Quite awhile. Also: nah.

bobbertoriley posted:

Yes, let's share Gomez's photo album: "What I did on Summer vacation"

Thank you. Added to the OP, with a couple of Gomez's notes.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Now if only they were a bit bigger (like 1920x1080.)

Even though I'm pretty sure YouTube still converts 1080p footage back down to 720, then upscales that to 1080, I would absolutely be recording in 1080 if I could get 1080 at 60fps.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 4, 2014

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Wow, those were some pretty strong reactions. Okay, new theory. We're the baddies.

The Owls are the totem of the blockheads, at least somewhat. We saw them in statue form, and we saw them on the industrial zone's building. One of the ghosts says to beware the owls, and Dot, a piece of the Hypercube that gave us our powers in the beginning, doesn't like them. We've really got no idea what we're doing, what the point of the Hypercube even is, and only Dot's incredibly unreliable word to tell us that rotating is causing the black holes. Meanwhile, the blockheads seem to be able to perceive and use 3-d just fine, to the point where their artifacts are built in it. It's also notable that (and here I admit I'm reaching) animals immediately flee from Gomez, and the Cube Bits glow the same way the missing platforms do.

I'm not yet sure all of what this adds up to, but I'm guessing it's not benign and the Blockheads (and the Owls alongside them) aren't fans of it. We probably wouldn't be either if we could understand that opening sequence.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I really, really like Fez. It's probably one of my favorite games of all time, because it's just so neat. The rotation gimmick is clever and challenging to get used to at first, yet feels seamless once you do. The puzzles are subtle and really reward you for noticing things and once you make some critical connection between two objects in the world, it just makes you feel so durn smurt. The visuals are effective, and the music is (mostly) nice and relaxing. It's just this big, neat space you can explore and solve puzzles in and slowly learn more about the world. It's a little like La-Mulana that way, except taken to its logical conclusion: there are (almost) no meaningful upgrades that give you powers like double-jumping or whatever, all you gain is more information, and that information helps you advance.

I still have hope that there'll be a sequel one day... I'm not sure what it would take to get there exactly, but hey. Stranger things have happened.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
What the game appears to be saying is that the owls are not what they seem.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why does everyone think the owls are bad? I don't get that at all. Owls usually are associated with wisdom.

Also, what ghosts?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, what ghosts?

Watch the latest video.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Owls have a pretty extraordinary ability to turn their heads without moving their body (Wikipedia says 270 degrees), so maybe the owls are symbolic of being able to see in three dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vil posted:

Watch the latest video.

Ah..was waiting till I had sound.

• Locked thread