Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Namtab posted:

Manga takes the time to be good.

The cartoon literally caught up with a comic, how does that happen? I'm like, really sure cartoons need a lot more drawing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The comic is in a magazine with a monthly release schedule and has X amount of story it can cover per chapter vs 30 minute anime episodes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm glad this thread is teaching people why dbz had filler

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
"If that's how it works, I've slept in the same room with him more than three times!"

"You were insane when it happened, so it doesn't count."

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Command Ant posted:

"If that's how it works, I've slept in the same room with him more than three times!"

"You were insane when it happened, so it doesn't count."

They are all his wifes.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

drilldo squirt posted:

They are all his wifes.

doesn't apply, since they're not members of Lelei's nomad tribe so they don't count

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Uh, wait. Save the senator too... what the hell lol.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Space Flower posted:

Uh, wait. Save the senator too... what the hell lol.

I guess the ambassador is not into polygamous gay marriage

Firstkind
Apr 10, 2015

by 2017 exmarx

drilldo squirt posted:

They are all his wifes.

You know the whole "JSDF is the best military in the world" would work better for me if all their armor and gear wasn't on loan/bought from other countries. That whole M109 line and the Type 74s are screaming this.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I think he figured that Shelly was an innocent, but that the Senator knew the risks he was taking.

And as he initially said, giving refuge to them creates big political problems for negotiations between the Empire and Japan.

Now, granted, the reality that the emperor is being controlled by a bitter, devious bunnygirl sex-slave out solely for the country to be razed is something known only to said party and their accomplice, so ambassador's actions may or may not wind up being optimal in the long run.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Firstkind posted:

You know the whole "JSDF is the best military in the world" would work better for me if all their armor and gear wasn't on loan/bought from other countries. That whole M109 line and the Type 74s are screaming this.

It's part of the charm.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Firstkind posted:

it's called synergy mate

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I don't know how I feel about episode 20.

On one hand there are a lot of reasons why things went the way they did.

On the other hand....sweet merciful Christ.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I don't know how I feel about episode 20.

On one hand there are a lot of reasons why things went the way they did.

On the other hand....sweet merciful Christ.

It's like Ender's Game but with an anime wife instead of genocide.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

drilldo squirt posted:

It's like Ender's Game but with an anime child bride instead of genocide.

I think the worst part is that the young girl is written to be very smart, insightful and charismatic for her age....you know...all the things pedophiles claim their victims to be in order to gain their trust.

It's a lot of grey area where it switches from super creepy to being understandable.

There are many things to argue for why things happen like they did but then I feel like I'm justifying pedophillia.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's a weird feeling, not knowing what people are talking about when it comes to Gate

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If it was anything other than GATE I would have just taken it as the diplomat digging himself into deeper and deeper holes as he does things without thinking hard enough about the consequences.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Episode 20 was much more emotional than I expecting. I wasn't even expecting the series to do anything with Sherry to begin with.

I predict that Tyuule is going to end up like Kaede in Ran, only significantly more orc spit on her leg.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I think the worst part is that the young girl is written to be very smart, insightful and charismatic for her age....you know...all the things pedophiles claim their victims to be in order to gain their trust.

It's a lot of grey area where it switches from super creepy to being understandable.

There are many things to argue for why things happen like they did but then I feel like I'm justifying pedophillia.

Oh for gently caress's sake, man! It's bad enough when people in this thread whine about Japanese nationalism, but then you have to bring this up? :mad:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Oh I'm sorry. Did the 20 something having an emotional moment with the 12 year old girl not look loving terrible?

I really enjoy this series and watch it constantly, but good lord almighty do they stretch was is acceptable.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
:gas:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Nothing is going to top justified child brides, shut the whole thing down.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

Nothing is going to top justified child brides

have you so little faith in GATE: Thus The JSDF Fought There? Do you not recall the guro? The Nanking Denials? I say to you, friend drilldo squirt, that there are depths yet undiscovered in this series.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
GATE thread functioning as normal I see.

Why did you open this thread again, Rodyle? What's more, why did I let you?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I opened it without comment when a second cour was announced and left it at that, someone just happened to notice it was open after that.

tbh I don't even know what's going on in Gate anymore, the anime passed the manga by, those above us speak in half-understood mysteries

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Predictions: Bunnygirl will get saved from something by Itami, realize destruction is the wrong path, and join the harem.
For wrapping up the entire thing, the Gate will be closing and everyone has to pick a side to stay on. Last minute, wizard girl announces she has figured out how to open gates of her own, and every otaku can have their elf/catgirl/whatever and live happily ever after.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Rodyle posted:

I opened it without comment when a second cour was announced and left it at that, someone just happened to notice it was open after that.

tbh I don't even know what's going on in Gate anymore, the anime passed the manga by, those above us speak in half-understood mysteries

Basically, Excelsior has the right of it.

12 year old girl has a crush on ambassador and keeps telling him "I'll be your bride some day". 12 year old girl's family are part of the senate faction that wants to make peace with japan. Emperor sends his SS troops to execute them for treason. After a brief adventure, the girl and an associated senator show up at the Japanese embassy, where the only way to save the girl is to say "I'm planning to marry her when she turns 16".

Clearly, the ambassador has no real intention of doing this and is just trying to save her life. But GATE, in its wisdom, decided to give the girl the personality/mind/maturity of an 18 year old, "justifying" the marriage that hasn't gone through yet and that I doubt anybody thinks *will* actually go through.

So basically, GATE hosed up, but goons are being goony as hard as they can at the same time.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mod please ban anyone who talks about child brides

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
They had her take the lead and do some clever things in this episode, but thinking that means they gave her the mind of an adult and seeing pedophilia in any of it is all kinds of absurd.

Namtab posted:

Mod please ban anyone who talks about child brides

:agreed:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Please do not attempt to discuss or think seriously about anything in GATE beyond its capacity to deliver on modern military technology blowing away backwater fantasy empires, thank you.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Please do not attempt to discuss or think seriously about anything in GATE beyond its capacity to deliver on modern military technology blowing away backwater fantasy empires, thank you.

I'll agree to this rule if you make the show stop doing it first. Write a letter to GATE. Tell it that a probation is in it's future if it doesn't shape up.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

nielsm posted:

Predictions: Bunnygirl will get saved from something by Itami, realize destruction is the wrong path, and join the harem.
For wrapping up the entire thing, the Gate will be closing and everyone has to pick a side to stay on. Last minute, wizard girl announces she has figured out how to open gates of her own, and every otaku can have their elf/catgirl/whatever and live happily ever after.

from hanging out in /a/, I know entirely too much about how this series will end. And you're not too off on the second point, although a lot of the details are wrong. First one is way off though

And apparently, the Gate won't close at the end of this season, since right now they're only in the middle of book 3 of 5. Gate closes at the end of 5, so unless there's another series greenlit, it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

linall posted:

I'll agree to this rule if you make the show stop doing it first. Write a letter to GATE. Tell it that a probation is in it's future if it doesn't shape up.

the power of the SA anime mod is vast, but not that vast

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
TBH I would have loved to have seen the aircraft mechanics faces when they were told they had to disassemble a pair (or more?) of Kawasaki XC-2s to fit them through the gate.

Also, is there not a single problem that can't be solved by an F4 Phantom II and GBUs?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I believe that every academic presentation should be judged by an audience full of people holding paint-filled water balloons.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Command Ant posted:

I believe that every academic presentation should be judged by an audience full of people holding paint-filled water balloons.

"And here to defend his thesis is Bogfaf Fleabottom"

*Bogfaf casts Protection from Missiles*

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Command Ant posted:

I have been to many academic seminars (twice a week for two years of school), and think it may have devolved into that a couple of times.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
Water balloons would be much better than the actual fail seminars and defences where everyone is quietly squirming in their seats thinking oh god please just let it end.

Paint would be much quicker and kinder.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I know I'm going to probably end up hating it, but there's something viscerally satisfying seeing high fantasy dudes getting gunned the gently caress down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

DrManiac posted:

I know I'm going to probably end up hating it, but there's something viscerally satisfying seeing high fantasy dudes getting gunned the gently caress down.

Just let the rest of it wash over you like an ocean of piss. Try to ignore it as best you can.

• Locked thread