Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Desired AFC and NFC Championship Game participants? (Pick two per conference)
Arizona (NFC)
Baltimore (AFC)
Buffalo (AFC)
Carolina (NFC)
Cincinnati (AFC)
Cleveland (AFC)
Dallas (NFC)
Denver (AFC)
Detroit (NFC)
Green Bay (NFC)
Houston (AFC)
Indianapolis (AFC)
Kansas City (AFC)
Miami (AFC)
Minnesota (NFC)
New England (AFC)
New Orleans (NFC)
Philadelphia (NFC)
Pittsburgh (AFC)
San Diego (AFC)
San Francisco (NFC)
Seattle (NFC)
View Results

• Locked thread
kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Wish I could embed the top 4 or 6 of these in the poll and re-do the vote that way.

Pittsburgh's result is reflected in the OP now, and the 3rd post has updated SoS and SoV values.

Gonna be taking some long train rides tomorrow, so I'll start some "every scenario" breakdowns for the simpler divisions (so definitely not the AFCN, AFCW, or NFCS).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way
Welcome to hell. The Cardinals miss the playoffs at 10-6 again. And this time every single team in the NFC West is 10-6.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I can get 21 teams to finish 8-8 (includes the Bengals). I feel like I could get another one, maybe two, but at that point it's tough figuring the chain of results you need.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Was just trying to get the rams into the first seed, came out pretty hilarious.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

DariusLikewise posted:

Was just trying to get the rams into the first seed, came out pretty hilarious.

Has there ever been a team with two ties in one season?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I was able to successfully create a scenario where: If the Lions beat the Packers they secure the #1 seed. If they lose to the Packers, they're out of the playoffs.

:unsmigghh:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Brannock posted:

I was able to successfully create a scenario where: If the Lions beat the Packers they secure the #1 seed. If they lose to the Packers, they're out of the playoffs.

:unsmigghh:

What's it look like?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

axeil posted:

What's it look like?

I was actually able to create multiple scenarios with that same result: Lions win in Green Bay, they take #1, lose in Green Bay, they're out of the playoffs entirely. It mostly relies on the Cardinals taking several losses and the NFC West sending Seattle and San Francisco to the playoffs -- and of course the GB game being for the division crown. I think I could get several scenarios working where instead of 3 from the West, you have 2 from the West and 2 from the East. I was able to get it working for mostly 9-7 records in the NFC playoffs, 10-6, 11-5.

Apparently the Lions are at a serious disadvantage for many wild-card tiebreakers.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Has there ever been a team with two ties in one season?
It looks like it used to happen fairly often before overtime was added to the regular season in 1974. Since then there have only been two seasons (1986,1997) with multiple ties period. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_tied_games

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm touched that so many (more than 0) of you have made the Browns the #1 seed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

axeil posted:

What's it look like?

Probably something close to Lions and Bears ending up 10-6 along with every other team. Lions lose to Patriots and win against the other teams. going into the Packer game. If they win, then they are 11-5 while every other top team is 10-6, if they lose they are 10-6 and through tie breakers lose out. As the Bears winning out causes them to only have 3 losses to NFC Teams(Packers x2, Panthers) and the Lions would have 4(Panthers, Bears x2, Packers).

This is me doing it to get the Bears in, but I'm sure you could do it with other teams as well.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Don't forget that for wild card ties you first resolve divisional tiebreakers (H2H, then Common Opponents, then Conference) to only have one team per division, then you compare teams between divisions.

Since the schedule is so back-heavy with divisional games, a collapsing team will very likely have a bad divisional record, and a surging team a good one. So in a multi-way tie for a wild card which includes 2+ teams from the same division, a poor divisional record could eliminate you from coming close. This makes scenarios like the Detroit one feasible in a number of ways.

If you remember last season's AFC madness on Week 17, most of it was due to Bal & Pit and Mia & NYJ potentially tying in overall record.

If this year's tight race continues, you could see an even more complicated scenario chart come to be.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Packers are in pretty good shape and should be able to snag a playoff spot. A first round bye would be nice, but Rodgers gets rusty with time off it seems. Keep that machine purring.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Leon Einstein posted:

A first round bye would be nice, but Rodgers gets rusty with time off it seems. Keep that machine purring.

I don't know whether it's reasonable to say that. He definitely had some rust coming off a half-season injury last year, and didn't play his best in that game against the Giants after sitting Week 17 of the 2011 season. On the other hand, he looked Rather Good against the Bears after a bye week this year.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Hockles posted:

I'm touched that so many (more than 0) of you have made the Browns the #1 seed.

Yea but that's not how the AFC:N rolls. You guys are going to sneak in with a WC and have a magical bullshit run to join the club. :getin:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Pack it in Obamailures, this is how the season ends.

The only leap of faith I made was that the Rams finish the job re: Rivers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

So you're picking the Texans for the AFC CG I see.

e: crap they re-seed between rounds don't they? Never mind.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I'll admit that there's no reason to outright prefer a tie to a loss by the Bengals if you're the Ravens, but I think it's arguable that the tie in that scenario is just about equal to a loss. In a head-to-head situation the tie can't possibly save them from the Ravens but can only hurt them.

However the Ravens will likely not be in the division race at the end of the season so it's moot. I predict the Steelers will win the division by a couple games.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

The only leap of faith I made was that the Rams finish the job re: Rivers.

I like this world where we don't even play seattle week 16 and go into the playoffs 14-1

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Shut up. I meant 15-1.

The Texans and Chiefs are the worst possible match-ups in the AFC for the Bengals, presuming people get and stay healthy. I'm hoping they somehow get a team that can't effectively run the ball. I'd feel waaaaay better somehow playing the Broncos at home in a playoff game.

Kawalimus posted:

However the Ravens will likely not be in the division race at the end of the season so it's moot. I predict the Steelers will win the division by a couple games.

The Steelers have as much chance of losing out as winning out in the remainder. Their Achilles heel has been an effective pass rush and good receivers. They play three teams with good receivers (ATL, CIN, NO) and one team with an extremely effective pass rush (KAN).

Also gently caress the Steelers.

I see them losing to the Saints and getting swept by the Bengals.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 20, 2014

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way
I was thinking "wow, i can't remember the last time a team was eliminated before the playoff machine even went up," and thought I was probably just forgetting some bad team.

And then I read the Raiders Wikipedia page for this season...

Wikipedia posted:

The Raiders were officially eliminated from the playoffs after their Week 11 loss to the Chargers, therefore becoming the earliest team since the 2004 Dolphins to be cut from postseason play.[4]

:stare:

It's more a testament to the strength of the AFC this year if even the 2008 Lions stayed in contention longer (though I can't imagine more than a week longer).

YMB fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 20, 2014

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

I'll admit that there's no reason to outright prefer a tie to a loss by the Bengals if you're the Ravens, but I think it's arguable that the tie in that scenario is just about equal to a loss. In a head-to-head situation the tie can't possibly save them from the Ravens but can only hurt them.

Disclaimer: Didn't really review it so there might be a small mistake which wrecks the whole thing, but the concept is what matters.

OK, I will now provide one of the very few situations where Kawalimus could be retroactively redeemed for appreciating the tie.

And it also happens to be where the Browns REALLY hate that tie and just want to die.

pre:
Tm. Rec. Div C.O AFC Wk10 Wk11 Wk12 Wk13 Wk14 Wk15 Wk16 Wk17  Divisional Results
--- ---- --- --- --- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- --------------------

Cin 06*3 2-1 4*1 4-3 Lcle Wn.o @Hou @T.B vPit @Cle vDen @Pit Bal-WW Cle-L? Pit-??
Pit 07-4 2-2 5-1 6-3 Lnyj Wten .bye vN.O @Cin @Atl vK.C vCin Bal-WL Cin-?? Cle-WL
Bal 06-4 2-3 4-1 3-4 Wten .bye @N.O vS.D @Mia vJax @Hou vCle Cin-LL Cle-W? Pit-WL
Cle 06-4 2-2 3-2 4-4 Wcin Lhou @Atl @Buf vInd vCin @Car @Bal Bal-L? Cin-W? Pit-WL
Suppose the Bengals had lost that game:

pre:
Tm. Rec. Div C.O AFC Wk10 Wk11 Wk12 Wk13 Wk14 Wk15 Wk16 Wk17  Divisional Results
--- ---- --- --- --- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- --------------------

Pit 07-4 2-2 5-1 6-3 Lnyj Wten .bye vN.O @Cin @Atl vK.C vCin Bal-WL Cin-?? Cle-WL
Cin 06-4 2-1 4-2 4-3 Lcle Wn.o @Hou @T.B vPit @Cle vDen @Pit Bal-WW Cle-L? Pit-??
Bal 06-4 2-3 4-1 3-4 Wten .bye @N.O vS.D @Mia vJax @Hou vCle Cin-LL Cle-W? Pit-WL
Cle 06-4 2-2 3-2 4-4 Wcin Lhou @Atl @Buf vInd vCin @Car @Bal Bal-L? Cin-W? Pit-WL
Also suppose that Baltimore beats Cleveland to sweep them, Cleveland beats Cincinnati to sweep them, and Cincy splits with Pittsburgh.

pre:
Bal 07-4 3-3 4-1 4-4 Wten .bye @N.O vS.D @Mia vJax @Hou Wcle Cin-LL Cle-WW Pit-WL
Pit 08-5 3-3 5-1 7-4 Lnyj Wten .bye vN.O Lcin @Atl vK.C Wcin Bal-WL Cin-WL Cle-WL
Cle 07-5 3-3 3-2 5-5 Wcin Lhou @Atl @Buf vInd Wcin @Car Lbal Bal-LL Cin-WW Pit-WL
Cin 07-6 3-3 4-2 5-5 Lcle Wn.o @Hou @T.B Wpit Lcle vDen Lpit Bal-WW Cle-LL Pit-WL
Then suppose the rest of the following results occur to arrive at these final standings:

pre:
Cle 10-6 3-3 6-2 6-6 Wcin Lhou Watl Lbuf Wind Wcin Wcar Lbal Bal-LL Cin-WW Pit-WL
Cin 10-6 3-3 6-2 7-5 Lcle Wn.o Whou Wt.b Wpit Lcle Wden Lpit Bal-WW Cle-LL Pit-WL
Pit 10-6 3-3 6-2 8-4 Lnyj Wten .bye Ln.o Lcin Watl WK.C Wcin Bal-WL Cin-WL Cle-WL
Bal 10-6 3-3 5-3 7-5 Wten .bye Ln.o Ws.d Wmia Wjax Lhou Wcle Cin-LL Cle-WW Pit-WL
The tie-breakers would go:

Who is 1st in the AFCN, guaranteed playoff spot:
1) H2H amongst the 4 teams (Still tied, all 3-3)
2) Division record (Still tied, all 3-3)
3) C.O record (Pit & Cin & Cle 6-2, Bal 5-3, Pit & Cin & Cle move on)
~restart the tie-breaker process with 3 remaining teams~
4) H2H amongst the 3 teams (Cle 3-1, Pit 2-2, Cin 1-3, Browns win AFCN)

Who is 2nd in the AFCN, potential Wild Card:
5) H2H amongst the 3 teams (Cin 3-1, Pit 2-2, Bal 1-3, Bengals are 2nd)

Who is 3rd in the AFCN, potential Wild Card:
6) H2H amongst the 2 teams (Tied, 1-1)
7) Division record (Tied, 3-3)
8) C.O record (Pit 6-2, Bal 5-3, Steelers are 3rd)

Who is 4th in the AFCN, drafting around 20th overall:
9) (Ravens are 4th)

And if instead of that 4-way tie, all of these future results occur in our reality?

pre:
Cin 10*5 3-3 6*1 7-5 Lcle Wn.o Whou Wt.b Wpit Lcle Wden Lpit Bal-WW Cle-LL Pit-WL
Bal 10-6 3-3 5-3 7-5 Wten .bye Ln.o Ws.d Wmia Wjax Lhou Wcle Cin-LL Cle-WW Pit-WL
Pit 10-6 3-3 6-2 8-4 Lnyj Wten .bye Ln.o Lcin Watl WK.C Wcin Bal-WL Cin-WL Cle-WL
Cle 10-6 3-3 6-2 6-6 Wcin Lhou Watl Lbuf Wind Wcin Wcar Lbal Bal-LL Cin-WW Pit-WL
Who is 2nd in the AFCN, potential Wild Card:
1) H2H amongst the 3 teams (Bal 3-1, Pit 2-2, Cle 1-3, Ravens are 2nd)

Who is 3rd in the AFCN, potential Wild Card:
2) H2H amongst the 2 teams (Tied, 1-1)
3) Division record (Tied, 3-3)
4) C.O record (Tied, 6-2)
5) Conference record (Pit 8-4, Cle 6-6, Steelers are 3rd)

Who is 4th in the AFCN, drafting around 20th overall:
6) (Browns are 4th)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Assuming the above isn't fatally flawed logic:

In exchange for validating you (in a 1 in a some-massive-number long-shot) Kawalimus, I hereby politely request that for an entire week after the Ravens' next win you will post with a positive attitude regarding the Ravens' postseason hopes.

If the Ravens lose until they are eliminated from the playoffs, well, there's always cool birds to find.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

kalensc posted:

Assuming the above isn't fatally flawed logic:

In exchange for validating you (in a 1 in a some-massive-number long-shot) Kawalimus, I hereby politely request that for an entire week after the Ravens' next win you will post with a positive attitude regarding the Ravens' postseason hopes.

If the Ravens lose until they are eliminated from the playoffs, well, there's always cool birds to find.

Wow.

Well if the Ravens somehow win next monday I will be pretty positive about our chances. But I expect us to be blown out. We are going to need to win at least one road game to get to 10-6, keeping in mind this is the worst road team compared to its home record in the NFL IIRC. Our road games left are New Orleans, Houston, and Miami. Getting that one out of the way will make it extremely likely we at least get to a 10-6 record which usually gets you in the playoffs.

So what I'll tell you is after our next road win without a home loss taking place before it I will show positivity.

edit: They think the Snowy Owls might be back this year!! I had bad luck with them last year only got one. But who knows if it will be at the same levels as last year.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kawalimus posted:

Wow.

Well if the Ravens somehow win next monday I will be pretty positive about our chances. But I expect us to be blown out. We are going to need to win at least one road game to get to 10-6, keeping in mind this is the worst road team compared to its home record in the NFL IIRC. Our road games left are New Orleans, Houston, and Miami. Getting that one out of the way will make it extremely likely we at least get to a 10-6 record which usually gets you in the playoffs.

So what I'll tell you is after our next road win without a home loss taking place before it I will show positivity.

edit: They think the Snowy Owls might be back this year!! I had bad luck with them last year only got one. But who knows if it will be at the same levels as last year.

You're losing in two weeks btw

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

You're losing in two weeks btw

It's possible. But remember the Ravens play much better at home. I've always had the SD game as a toss-up.

It's exciting though because SD never ever plays here.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Of all the possible wild card teams I am least optimistic/worried with the Chargers. Rivers is banged up and he gets to play... The Rams.

Dude is going to look like a human schnitzel.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Eifert Posting posted:

Of all the possible wild card teams I am least optimistic/worried with the Chargers. Rivers is banged up and he gets to play... The Rams.

Dude is going to look like a human schnitzel.

Haven't the Rams had a horrible time getting to the QB this year or am I a few weeks too late

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know the exact stats but they had like 5 sacks in the first 8 games and 18 in the last 3 or something crazy like that.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

Shut up. I meant 15-1.

That was more of a knock at the playoff machine :). I couldn't make it not w l or tie a game.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Rams, Redskins, Bucs, and Vikings all in the playoffs :getin:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hah, wow, the Jaguars could win the AFCS if everyone else lost out and they won out.

:smith:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Rams, Redskins, Bucs, and Vikings all in the playoffs :getin:

If the Bengals lost to the Titans in the playoffs I would strongly consider suicide.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What is the fewest number of games Cleveland must win to lock ]p a wild card spot?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

What is the fewest number of games Cleveland must win to lock ]p a wild card spot?

Without running the numbers or playoff machine, I think 5-1 is the minimum to ensure a spot. Even then there might be a way to gimmick tie-breakers (see earlier post) to keep an 11-5 team out a la New England in' 08.

Of course I'd other teams stumble 8-8 could make it in as well, but that's just as unlikely as 12-4 being the bar to clear.

I'll try a complete Cleveland analysis after this weekend, once every team has had their bye and have the same number of remaininf games it becomes easier to generate scenario groups.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 20, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Right now with so many teams at 6-4 (or somewhere around that) it's almost impossible to gauge the AFC. There are literally hundreds of possibilities just because there are so many contenders and only six spots.

I mean, it may take a miracle to keep the Patriots out, but the Texans are only one game back of the Colts, the AFC West is only one game apart between three teams, and the AFC North is a complete goddamn clusterfuck.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If they really wanted to make things interesting by mucking around with playoff seeds, like they seem determined to, It'd be cool to have the 6 seeds be floating seeds. So let's say the NFC has a 10-6 and a 9-7, but the AFC has 3 10-6 teams. In that situation the lowest AFC 10-6 team plays in the NFC.

That way if, say, the NFC is stacked (like last year) a NFC team could possibly win the AFC championship. Imagine the 2013 Cardinals playing the Seahawks for a title or a -god forbid- Ravens vs Steelers game for all the marbles.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

If they really wanted to make things interesting by mucking around with playoff seeds, like they seem determined to, It'd be cool to have the 6 seeds be floating seeds. So let's say the NFC has a 10-6 and a 9-7, but the AFC has 3 10-6 teams. In that situation the lowest AFC 10-6 team plays in the NFC.

That way if, say, the NFC is stacked (like last year) a NFC team could possibly win the AFC championship. Imagine the 2013 Cardinals playing the Seahawks for a title or a -god forbid- Ravens vs Steelers game for all the marbles.

That would be cool but completely defeats the purpose of having the conference champions duke it out in the Super Bowl.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If the 7th seeded team from one conference runs the table against the 3 seed, the 1 seed and the 2/4/5 seed then maybe the other conference shouldn't be lovely. :colbert:

I just don't want more total seeds.

If we're going nuts how about having the #5 seed claim the home field advantage if they have a two game lead on the division winner #4 seed. So if, let's say, the Lions finish the season as the #5 seed with a 9-7 record and the Falcons are the #4 seed with a 7-9 the Lions get to host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

If the 7th seeded team from one conference runs the table against the 3 seed, the 1 seed and the 2/4/5 seed then maybe the other conference shouldn't be lovely. :colbert:

I just don't want more total seeds.

If we're going nuts how about having the #5 seed claim the home field advantage if they have a two game lead on the division winner #4 seed. So if, let's say, the Lions finish the season as the #5 seed with a 9-7 record and the Falcons are the #4 seed with a 7-9 the Lions get to host.

You know what, gently caress that. I know it sounds dumb but I still want winning the division to mean something. I don't care how you get in. Yeah, we made a lot of fun of the 7-9 seahawks and the 8-7-1 Packers but that's a part of the game. If you want a playoff spot, win your division.

poo poo, I even joked last year about how the 10-6 Cardinals deserved a playoff spot more than the Packers did, but I really don't want a division title to lose meaning. Even if the miracle scenario happens and the 5-10-1 Panthers win the NFC South, I want them to have a home game in the playoffs.

• Locked thread