Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
How much do you need to pay for membership? Someone feel free to explain bonds to me (I freely admit I haven't done an ounce of research on it yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

As of right now it's $7.95 a month. If you're ever interested in subscribing it'd be best to do it sooner rather than later, because you'll continue paying $7.95 after the price hike as long as you subscribe before it and keep it unbroken for no more than 14 days. We don't know what the new price will be, but the FAQ says that "it will remain competitive when compared to other MMOs." I can only take this to mean it will be somewhere in the realm of $12-15 a month.

Bonds are items purchased from other players who've bought them with real money, and can be redeemed for two weeks of membership (among other things that aren't really worth the price of admission). These currently cost ~8 million coins and the price constantly fluctuates, which means you can only reliably use them as a source of membership if you can make that much every two weeks.

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014

Simsmagic posted:

As of right now it's $7.95 a month. If you're ever interested in subscribing it'd be best to do it sooner rather than later, because you'll continue paying $7.95 after the price hike as long as you subscribe before it and keep it unbroken for no more than 14 days. We don't know what the new price will be, but the FAQ says that "it will remain competitive when compared to other MMOs." I can only take this to mean it will be somewhere in the realm of $12-15 a month.

Bonds are items purchased from other players who've bought them with real money, and can be redeemed for two weeks of membership (among other things that aren't really worth the price of admission). These currently cost ~8 million coins and the price constantly fluctuates, which means you can only reliably use them as a source of membership if you can make that much every two weeks.

If they hike it up to $15 a month, I cant see anyone picking up RS over WoW.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Soulhunter posted:

There's currently a half-price deal going on for 30-day membership cards on Amazon.

Quoting for visibility, stock up on membership time now before the price hike if you're interested.

SleepingPizza posted:

Agreed, I'm tempted to let my membership lapse when my time runs out in a couple months depending on the new prices/bond costs. RuneScape has a ton of content, but Jagex as a company is currently in flux (Gerhard stepping down, possibly more influence from shareholders (IVP) and I'd rather wait and see how things change in January before resubbing for any period of time, personally.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 27, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Imma laugh if it turns out the increase is only like 50 cents a month.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Another thing to note is that the price of bonds is also set to increase with the higher subscription costs. This would logically mean that the value in gp will go up, so if you're looking to stock up now's a good time to buy.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ooh poo poo. Might start up a new character on Runescape, having a few experiences before. Question is, should I get membership from the get-go? Or level up some freebie stuff before I get to the paid stuff?

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014
I kinda wanna buy a bunch of those membership cards, but I also wanna get premier club this year for the big package of loyalty it'll give...

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

SleepingPizza posted:

I kinda wanna buy a bunch of those membership cards, but I also wanna get premier club this year for the big package of loyalty it'll give...

Ah, but they will stack. Any membership you buy will stay on your account even if you have the premier club. So you can get premier club in december, buy cards in january and they'll added on top of your current membership (the premier club).

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

SleepingPizza posted:

Same. I'm almost in a position to momentarily let my membership lapse and if by the time I come back its 15bux then chances are real good i'd play a different game.

Definitely not WoW, but something other than RS.

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014

Spergminer posted:

Ah, but they will stack. Any membership you buy will stay on your account even if you have the premier club. So you can get premier club in december, buy cards in january and they'll added on top of your current membership (the premier club).

true i want to get in a habit of just buying premier each year for the bonuses.

plus, im pretty sure the price hike will be small (like, a buck a month) because anything else would = ded game

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

widespread posted:

Ooh poo poo. Might start up a new character on Runescape, having a few experiences before. Question is, should I get membership from the get-go? Or level up some freebie stuff before I get to the paid stuff?

At very least do free quests and level the skills somewhere to 30-40 range for smoother membership start.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

GuyUpNorth posted:

At very least do free quests and level the skills somewhere to 30-40 range for smoother membership start.

Can do. Always loved the basic cookin' stuff just as much as Gnome Cooking. Also something about charm and poo poo.

Edit: Hoo boy, forgot about Java. And forgot to update properly.

widespread fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 28, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
If you're looking at buying membership right now I think you can get some of the amazon cards then set up monthly payments. That'll lock in the $8/month cost while still letting you get the cheap Amazon cards.

Getting Premier club on top of that is also no issue, if you're thinking of that.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
More Barbass stuff! This time, :pcgaming: HARDASS BARBASS :pcgaming:

So Hard Mode changes some things! And makes it harder! Who'd have thought?

Things you need for Hard Mode:

80+ Combat (100+ makes it a lot easier), 130+ if you want to be an attacker
Shield for non-attackers, lvl 75+ gear for attackers (has to be ranged or magic, melee in HM is terrible)
Level 5 Healer

As you might guess, in Hard Mode the combat Penance don't gently caress around. They hit really, really hard. Additionally, Healer poison hurts more, and when Runners are fed the incorrect food, they deal heavy AOE damage around them.

So, tactical changes:

Defender - largely the same as Normal Mode. Just don't get too close to the Runners. Once you kill all your Runners, head to the left cannon and spray eggs at things.
Healer - Focus on keeping people alive. If everyone's fine and dandy and your vial is full, toss some poison food at things, but generally goddamn focus on keeping people alive and not taking heavy damage. You should be camped out on the left cannon platform a lot
Collector- largely the same as Normal Mode. First thing to do is sprint to the left cannon, load your starter eggs, and fire a green egg at both of your attackers and your defender. It gives the attackers an Overload's worth of statboosts, and gives your Defender multiple logs to keep their trap repaired. After that focus on not taking damage while you grab eggs. It's acceptable to be a coward and hide on the platform for extended periods of time, it makes the Healer's life easier.
Attacker - probably the most finesse-able role in hard mode, you want to round up all of the penance fighters and rangers and get them aggroed and drag them down to in front of the cannon so you can AOE them down while safe from the fighters. You need to juggle how much damage you're taking, getting aggro from your people (who need to not be idiots and drag the penance all across the arena), and trying to blast apart rangers as best you can while you juggle poo poo because they suck and are ranged.

Finally, the Penance King in wave 10. Honestly, gently caress this guy. Reset after you complete Wave 9 and sell your Wave 10 ticket for an easy 500k. He's not worth the ridiculous effort he takes.

In general, everyone but the Defender should either hug the left cannon or stay on it, and focus on taking as little damage as possible. Defender should stay nice and far to the right where they can do their thing without aggroing fighters and rangers. Where Normal Mode is 'blow through every wave as fast as possible without ever really worrying about HP' in Hard Mode you need to actually put in some effort to stay alive.

Magres fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 28, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Vis Wax Guide
Make 300k or more in 2 minutes every day.

Deep in the runecrafting guild is a wonderful machine that produces magical ear wax, better known as vis wax, once a day. Vis wax is useful for extending daily challenges, extending your divine location gathering limit, and resetting aura coldowns. But you shouldn't do any of that.

Using vis wax yourself is throwing away money :homebrew:. Extending challenges used to be worth it but it was nerfed to 50 wax, up from 20. It's just not cost effective except for some challenges for expensive skills, like herblore, at high levels where you'll actually get a competitive amount of exp per gold value of the wax.

What you should do is sell it to pubbies who don't know any better for absurd profits. Even with very little time and money invested you can easily guarantee a minimum of about 300k profit (average probably in the 380-400k range) per day in a few minutes. This requires a bit more thought and understanding than, say, buying yak hides, but it's extremely fast

REQUIREMENTS
- 50 Runecrafting (for entry to the Runecrafting Guild)
- A few minutes per day
- Have at least this many of the following runes in your bank (they don't need to be in your inventory).
- 2500 Mind runes
- 650 Chaos runes
- 1250 of each Air, Water, Earth, and Fire runes

On this page is a table that shows you the amounts and total cost for each type of rune. I only use the cheapest runes. Using the more expensive runes might will more than likely lower your average profits.

INSTRUCTIONS
First join the viswax fc. The topic of the fc will be a list of four runes (i.e. "Lw Ai Ch De"). It's best to do vis wax at least two or three hours after the daily reset to allow the topic to update.

Travel to the runecrafting guild; the best option is teleporting to the top of the Wizard's Tower using the Wicked Hood. Look around for a funny looking machine with near the D&D icon on the minimap.

You'll see an interface that looks like this:

You need to put runes into all three of the slots. Every day the values of runes in each slot is randomized. The indicator to the left of the slot is red if the rune is below 50%, yellow if it's above 50%, and green if it's 100%. Only one rune is green for each slot each day.

- The first slot is worth 30 wax and the best rune is the same for every player. If the topic of the viswax fc is "Lw Ai Ch De" then Law is worth 30 wax for everyone today.
- The second slot is also worth 30 wax. The best rune for each player is one of three runes. Using the same topic for the fc then the best rune is either Air, Chaos, or Death for you today.
- The third slot is worth 40 wax and is random for each player every day. The fc cannot help you with this slot.

Every time you change the combination it counts as a new attempt. Each attempt increases the amount of runes you need by 0.5%. This is nothing. It's worth taking multiple tries to find a good combination, even taking 20 tries will only increase your costs by 10%. After settling on a good combination push combine and get your wax.

Here's an example using my second combination today. This is a very good result and not typical. The topic for today was "As Bl Bl Bo" and I completely ignored it.

Here's what I eventually settled with today:

Today was unusually good. In general I can get over 80 wax about half the time, over 70 wax at least 90% of the time, and I've never had a day where I couldn't get over 60 with cheap runes. The runes I used today cost me less than 100k.

EXTRA NOTES
If the topic of the fc tells you that the best choices are expensive runes don't feel pressured to use them. Most days you'll be able to use your cheap runes to get almost as much vis wax with significantly lower costs and higher profits.

An important detail about the second slot is that the "other" possibilities for the best rune aren't necessarily the second best choices. Say the three possibilities are Mist, Air, and Earth and that you drew the short straw and Mist is your best rune. It's still possible that Water is better than both Air and Earth for you, so don't limit yourself to only the three options given.

One tip for being efficient is to remove two runes at a time. If you swap out slot 1 and then slot 2 separately it counts as two attempts. If you empty both slots then replace them it only counts as one attempt, though it can be harder to keep track of which runes are best in each slot.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 1, 2014

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Desuwa posted:

Vis Wax Guide
Make 300k or more in 2 minutes every day.

... so remember that part about membership being payable with in-game currency? Just need to know if there be a limit or something on how much.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

widespread posted:

... so remember that part about membership being payable with in-game currency? Just need to know if there be a limit or something on how much.

There's no limit to paying for membership with in game currency. However the current price of a bond, worth 14 days of membership, is 8.5 million and climbing due to an announcement that the price of membership will rise. Depending on how good you are at making money that can be very little over two weeks or it can be most of your gold income.

Right now it's still possible to pay for membership using "easy" methods like vis wax, yak hides (even if they've crashed pretty hard), miscellania, the culinaromancer's chest, and maybe dabbling in some other easy/fast/passive methods like farming.

joachim783
May 9, 2013

Desuwa posted:

There's no limit to paying for membership with in game currency. However the current price of a bond, worth 14 days of membership, is 8.5 million and climbing due to an announcement that the price of membership will rise. Depending on how good you are at making money that can be very little over two weeks or it can be most of your gold income.

Right now it's still possible to pay for membership using "easy" methods like vis wax, yak hides (even if they've crashed pretty hard), miscellania, the culinaromancer's chest, and maybe dabbling in some other easy/fast/passive methods like farming.

to add to that if you're willing to grind a little at mid-high level combat you can make that in 1-4 days grinding one of the well known combat money making methods like frost dragons for 2 or so hours a day.

joachim783 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 29, 2014

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Desuwa posted:

Ahh. In that case, I'll set a limit for myself: If bonds hit 15m-20m, then I'm not gonna buy one UNLESS I get mad dosh. And assuming the membership price is a miniscule hike- like lets say up to $8.99 or $9.99- then at around that limit is when I'd consider forking over actual money.

Of course, if it IS a really small raise, then I can see bonds tanking hard. Just gotta see the new price, is all.

joachim783
May 9, 2013
Just a reminder that the festive aura is returning this year so don't forget to reclaim it from the loyalty shop so it has time to recharge for the 1st of december. :)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Why do you suddenly have an Avatar that says

GAR-
BAGE
DICK

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I think it's a replacement for Stupid Newbie/Forum Babby. No idea why.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
No, it's still the forum babby. If you're seeing gar-bage dick, it's cause you're seeing what you want to see... down your pants.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Nope sims is right, it's literally newbie.gif

http://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif is the URL for the image

Clustard
Sep 30, 2012
I don't know what you're talking about. I'm still seeing the baby.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Makes sense that only Magres and Sims are seeing it... guess we know who has garbage dicks now. :smugbert:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Yes I agree, the babby looks so peaceful sleeping. :3:

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

BabbyBanning. No wonder we see different avatars.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Themata posted:

Yes I agree, the babby looks so peaceful sleeping. :3:

:mad:

In other news,

FREEEEDOOOOMMMMMMM

DONE WITH AGILITY FOREVER

HOOAH

gently caress THAT SKILL

Even botting my way from 75 to 97, doing only challenges for 98, then doing Prfid course (with BXP) to 99 that skill was painful as gently caress. They legit need to double or triple the base agi xp gain to make it remotely not terrible.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Behind the Scenes out for December, some alright looking stuff I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODiQZAsF02M

Highlights:
-Elf Lands task set, with an ammo slot item as a reward. Hope you're ready for more temple of light :getin:
-More bosses for the Dominion Tower, as well as a new multiplayer game mode
-Return of the Premier Club
-Festive Aura, plus themed weekends with additional benefits
--Skiller Weekend - Bonuses while training skills, such as additional chance to get enriched memories in divination
--Minigame weekend - Double rewards for Castle Wars and Pest Control, plus more voyages per day for ports
--Dungeoneering Weekend - Additional experience for Dungeoneering and cheaper rewards
--Boss and Slayer weekend - Double drops on a lot of bosses, plus additional slayer experience
-Three week long Christmas event, with a new part of it releasing every week.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
excited to be trapped in santa's workshop for three weeks with a kajillion pubbies

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

-Return of the Premier Club

Is there a complete list of on-purchase rewards yet?

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
NEW! Dungeoneering fishing gets an amazing rework:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FtIk71QBQY
More likely to get patched than anything that actually needs patching. :)

Pubbie examines.

Pretty sure this is botted but those stats are criminal.

Lucky at these lovely minigames

gently caress this challenge for giving me- oh.

Zamorak wizards now appear for the Duel Arena clue.

Kayfabe rejected the dismal rewards.

The hardcore ironman 99 agility pubbie really loves their gimmicks. :stare:

The turkey hunt calls to me.

Imma Pizza alt spotted.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Themata posted:

how to i mine fsh???

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Themata posted:

There's another great DG animation glitch I found a while ago that I don't think is patched yet: In the mining room where the 4 paths are blocked off by three layers of boulders to mine, the time to clear an obstacle is based on the animation time length for some reason. If you have headbutt mining, the animation length is longer than the time it takes for the rocks to collapse again. I nearly abandoned the floor when i figured I may as well try turning the override off and it fixed it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

--Minigame weekend - Double rewards for Castle Wars and Pest Control, plus more voyages per day for ports

If you play CW for all ~80 hours nonstop, you can bang out a whole 10% of your CW requirement for the trimmed comp cape! :woop:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Good Idea: Bring cooked foods with you whenever going into instances.
Bad Idea: Forget to cook food whenever you go into instances.

Seriously. I'm stuck on Agoroth with no food whatsoever. And the meat from killing cows is raw, too. No tinderboxes, either. Thankfully I think dodging and stuff will work in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

If Twitch Plays Pokemon wasn't tedious enough for you, now you can bore yourself to death watching Twitch Plays 07Scape.