Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Something I really like is that I think the last models here:

might actually be lower polygon count than this thing:

You can do some really awesome visual tricks with higher res textures - my favorite is normal mapping. The basic idea is that you make a really complicated, high polygon count model, apply a texture to it, and then take a picture of that from an appropriate angle and use that as the texture for a flat surface. This is a really simple example of normal mapping

It's a really cool trick that, done right, can let you get stuff looking much better than its polygon count could do w/o said tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014
Its time for FASHIONSCAPE

I'm thinking of mixing up my usual scurvy get up. Vote here for your favorite

classic pirate

The Flexy GET FIT Limited Edition Pirate

Pros: fit
keeps peg leg
cons: no cool coat tails

Colonial Pirate

Pros: cool as gently caress jacket
Sweet sword at my hip for cutting wenches
Pro coat tails
Cons: pegleg looks poo poo

The Half Colonial Pirate

Pros: Sweet jacket
Nice SORD
keeps pegleg in all its glory
Cons: no cool coat tails

Or the :barf: PUBBIE SPECIAL :barf:

Pros: Acts as camouflage in high-density pubbie zones
Cons: Look like a pubbie

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Whelp, after planting 18 trees, I've lost 4 of them and cured another 4.

My tree death rate w/o manual curing so far is 45% :smith:

Otoh burning through my Festive Aura XP in ten minutes flat checking trees :getin:

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 3, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Magres posted:

Whelp, after planting 18 trees, I've lost 4 of them and cured another 4.

My tree death rate w/o manual curing so far is 45% :smith:

Otoh burning through my Festive Aura XP in ten minutes flat checking trees :getin:

just pay the goddamned farmers, it doesn't cost that much

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Some dumb idiot posted:

How far we've come. :allears:

What the gently caress, are those new character models and are they out now?

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Robo Reagan posted:

What the gently caress, are those new character models and are they out now?

Nah, it's just updates to a few of the Desert treasure bosses, they'll be coming out with the Dominion Tower rework.

http://imgur.com/a/CFh5g#3

The full collections over here.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

How Rude posted:

just pay the goddamned farmers, it doesn't cost that much

Protecting a magic tree is like 75% as much as the seed itself.

I'll pass. Statistically it's a good way to blow through a poo poo ton of money that could go to just buying more seeds

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Magres posted:

Protecting a magic tree is like 75% as much as the seed itself.

I'll pass. Statistically it's a good way to blow through a poo poo ton of money that could go to just buying more seeds

According to wiki magic tree seeds are 174k and 25 coconuts are 88k. Much less if you plant and harvest palm trees. Don't know actual, but that aside: With a 45% success rate maybe you should rethink it.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
For simplicity's sake, let's just imagine half your trees live and half die.

Assuming 8 trees are planted and protected and all live, you're spending 2,092k GP (261.5k per).

Assuming 8 are planted and 4 die so you have to plant 4 more, and of those 4, 2 more die and of those 2, 1 dies so you replant that, you're spending 2,610k GP (174k per).

That's assuming it actually is 1 in every 2 trees dying and not getting screwed over more by the RNG which you already claimed several times is kicking your butt, so your losses are potentially more substantial, as opposed to the 100% guaranteed rate paying 261.5k per tree which would save you a ton of time and stress from raging over being a Butt Farmer crop dusting your trees to death.

You could also just boost to do fellstalk but you find that way too :effort: too so :nallears:

Also it's half the cost of the magic tree seed itself to protect, not 75%. Hmm.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Statistically it's about a 13% chance for a supercomposted tree to die, the RNG just decided to take a huge poo poo on me the first time I planted expensive trees en masse. I'm going to keep my decision making data-driven and stick to what is factually the better choice in terms of gp/xp in the long run.

Also, considering I rescued four of those eight trees from dying, my actual tree death rate was more like 22% and even with my terrible luck yesterday it was still the right decision to not protect them.

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 3, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Even one tree dying is also a massive waste of XP considering that you have to wait for another tree to grow again and got no XP for the previous tree. Gambling with RNG in Runescape is always a bad idea, too.

Pay your farmers damnit.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
:what:

This is what I think of Magres:

Nerd. Nerd. Nerd. Nerd. Nerd. Nerd. Nerd. Nerd. Nerd. Nerd. Nerd.
Nerd. Nerd. Nerd. Nerd. Nerd. |:spergin:| Nerd. Nerd. Nerd. Nerd. Nerd.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Themata posted:

Thread title change please.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Themata posted:

:what:

This is what I think of Magres:

:agreed:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

:getin:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

How Rude posted:

Even one tree dying is also a massive waste of XP considering that you have to wait for another tree to grow again and got no XP for the previous tree. Gambling with RNG in Runescape is always a bad idea, too.

Pay your farmers damnit.

This isn't a good way of thinking about it. It's not a waste of exp, it's a waste of time. However paying for protection is a huge waste of gold compared to the small waste of time.

If one tree gets you 10k exp, costs 100k, has a low protection cost of 40k, and an extra-high (above magic trees) 1/6 chance of death it's still not worth it to protect them. Not protecting, over the long term, gets you an average of 12 gold per exp. Protecting gets you a guaranteed 14 gold/exp. That's a difference of 26m when going from 1-99 even when I've fudged the numbers in favour of protection. It will take you an extra 20% (again, with fudged numbers) more trees/time, but the gold cost will be a lot lower.

In small sample sizes, like Magres' sample of 8 trees, you can get odd runs. It's not unheard of to flip a (fair) coin six times and get six heads. But with larger sample sizes those bad (or good) runs average out.

If you have a deadline to hit a certain farming level, like you want to hit 90 before some new content comes out, or if you really have so much money that paying an extra 40%+ per exp to make it slightly faster is worth it to you, go ahead and pay for protection. For most people they're going to be limited by their gold and don't mind taking an extra 3-4 weeks from 1-99 while saving upwards of 50 million gold, which are more reasonable estimates for real trees.

Don't pay the farmers, spend the money on other skills.

Magres posted:

Statistically it's about a 13% chance for a supercomposted tree to die, the RNG just decided to take a huge poo poo on me the first time I planted expensive trees en masse.

As a minor correction the chance of yew trees dying is between 1/7 and 1/8. Trees roll against disease when their growth stage changes and magic trees have two extra growth stages so their death rate is probably a few percent higher unless Jagex compensated for that.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 4, 2014

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Don't pay for protection. Save money for prayer, a skill that's actually useful.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My Prayer level is 99.

:smaug:

Actually, my plan is to switch to Yews and Papayas because A) they're about 30% better gp/xp ratio and B) it's much less of a loss if I miss a diseased one and it dies, so I'm more able to make myself take the long view of things and accept that sometimes I'll just have bad days. With Yews and Papayas and my Elder Tree and a Calquat Tree (I actually protect my Calquat because it's inexpensive enough that I value the extra XP I get over the inefficiency in GP) I can hit 100k XP a day and still burn my whole festive aura.

Really it was that it was the first damned time I've planted anything in months and it immediately all started dying on me like crazy. My second batch of trees had one get diseased between the 12 of them, and happily I was there to cure it :buddy:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Magres posted:

My Prayer level is 99.

:smaug:

Actually, my plan is to switch to Yews and Papayas because A) they're about 30% better gp/xp ratio and B) it's much less of a loss if I miss a diseased one and it dies, so I'm more able to make myself take the long view of things and accept that sometimes I'll just have bad days. With Yews and Papayas and my Elder Tree and a Calquat Tree (I actually protect my Calquat because it's inexpensive enough that I value the extra XP I get over the inefficiency in GP) I can hit 100k XP a day and still burn my whole festive aura.

Really it was that it was the first damned time I've planted anything in months and it immediately all started dying on me like crazy. My second batch of trees had one get diseased between the 12 of them, and happily I was there to cure it :buddy:

You can get 40 free pineapples from Dell Monty in Brimhaven every day, that's 4 free papaya tree payments.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

Simsmagic posted:

Don't pay for protection. Save money for prayer, a skill that's actually useful.

Interestingly enough, the pull and pray method is 82% effective while protection is only 83%. Good advice from Simsmagic the Sonic Loving Tumblr Nerd.

Now, for those that do want to use protection, here is an easy to use image guide:

Never ask in chat what to use ever again. :colbert:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Spergminer posted:

You can get 40 free pineapples from Dell Monty in Brimhaven every day, that's 4 free papaya tree payments.

I haven't checked but I think Papaya trees are the only high level trees where the cost of protection is actually worth it.

As a rule of thumb if the cost of protection is under 10% of the cost of the seed go ahead and do it. I didn't mention it during my writeup because I'd forgotten that there were any trees where that was true.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah Papayas are super, super worth protecting.

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014
HOW TO SOLO BANDOS: a guide for shitters

Graardor is a big loving pissbaby and is by far the easiest gwd boss. This is why bandos armour is cheap. If you can learn to comfortably solo bandos you will soon move up to kril and armadyl who are much more profitable but are less afk.

Why would I want to solo bandos?
It's good XP, GP (if you get lucky) and a nice source of special drops like effegies.

How long can you last with this guide?
I've done 2 hour runs before. I expect I personally could last for 3 hours though.

What levels do I need?
I'm just gonna state what I use.

96 herblore for overloads (remember that you can use banner/etc to boost to 96)
95 prayer for turmoil/torment. This will significantly boost your damage output and thus your heal rate via SS
96 summoning for pack-yak. This is NOT a hard requirement but will make your runs last longer.
80 attack/str/magic for chaotic weaponry
85 defense for port armours

What loadouts do you use?
Melee:

-Full Tetsu
-Leviathan ring
-Drygore mace and chaotic claw (onhand chaotics will fare OK too)
-TokHaar-Kal-Ket
-Bandos warpirest boots/gloves - protection from bandos followers
-Zammy arrow - protection from zamorak followers
-Sign of Life - in case of DC. use a scimshaw if you got though.
-Dragonrider ammy
-Vamp aura

Mage:

-Full Seasinger
-Leviathan ring
-Chaotic staff
-TokHaar-Kal-Mej
-Bandos warpirest boots/gloves - protection from bandos followers
-Zammy arrow - protection from zamorak followers
-Sign of Life - in case of DC. use a scimshaw if you got though.
-Dragonrider ammy
-Vamp aura

(note that in the bandos camp there are only bandos/zammy followers. dont waste your pocket slot on your zaros shard)

Inventory set up (for 2 hours, adjust accordingly)

Holy Overloads - If you have elf city, buy this recipie you dont need to dung for it. 4dose ovl + 4dose renewal = 6 dose holy ovl and you get affect of both. 2 free doses! separate ovls/renewals are also ok
Super restores - Resotre prayer and summoning points. You wont need this much I just bring a shitton. I'd probably flask up if i was gonna be there for 3+ hours though
Sharks - Dont waste rocktails on this babby boss. you wont use much anyway
God wars tab - To get there. Buy off of GE
Yak pouches - To renew yak. Bring 1 for each hour.
Yak scrolls - Insta banking loot. Bring like 200~ preferably.
Other aura - I usually do vamp and then penance. Switch out when depleted.
Empty space - For loot
EDIT: if you're a mage bring runes too ofcourse, just use air surge.

My yak is full of sharks as a just in case measure. Again, i usually only dip in to like... 5 of my yaks sharks in 2 hours.

Ok im geared up, now what?
teleport to gwd => run to bandos camp => kill 40 nerds => go in to boss lobby => pay for a instance => set respawn rate to fast

Activate aura, drink pot, activate prayers. I use soul split. Go to this corner in the boss room

This will make the mage (and sometimes range) minion not aggro you at all/until late in to the kill. this means less tanking and less food wasted. it also puts you near the altar for free prayer points.

Bandos has no quirks. His special attack is a weaksauce ranged smack thing that you'll give negative shits about. Just do the following...

If melee: use slaughter ASAP and run thru graardor forcing him to move. This can cause massive bleeds that'll kill him extremely quickly. Spam other thresholds after.

If mage: just sunshine then spam thresholds

For both: Adrenaline stall between kills with Freedom and Devotion if you need to

Don't even bother turning prayers on/off between kills. All you gotta do for like an hour or two is press threshold keys, drink potions, and pick up drops and bank them with yak. I do personally bank the ogre bones because its garunteed income. If you dont care about the ogre bones, switch amulet to demon-horn necklace and bring a bonecrusher to negate the need for prayer pots entirely while under penance, and mostly but not entirely while on vamp.

There that's how you do graar

SleepingPizza fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 4, 2014

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Themata posted:

Good advice from Simsmagic the Sonic Loving Tumblr Nerd.

hey lady it's my birthday today that means you have to be nice to me

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So as a free player, I think I'll just raise my Smithing via track making since batch track making seems like a nice way to raise it. Also, how far can I go with Farming before the members stuff kicks in? Because it says I can grow potatoes right now.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

Simsmagic posted:

hey lady it's my birthday today that means you have to be nice to me

Good advice from Simsmagic the Sonic Loving Cool For One Day Tumblr Nerd. :toot:

Well I guess this means it's time to get rid of that medium clue.

:nallears:

Triskelion Key results

Elite clue results

Crystal key results

Crystal Core is very lewd and going against the moral values of our Good Goon Community.

Skeleton champion, oh noooooo!

Sick gains

Check out that holiday spirit.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

widespread posted:

So as a free player, I think I'll just raise my Smithing via track making since batch track making seems like a nice way to raise it. Also, how far can I go with Farming before the members stuff kicks in? Because it says I can grow potatoes right now.

You can train all members skills, sans Construction, to level 5 in F2P. If you go to Burthope there's a tiny farming patch next to a guy who gives 3 potato seeds for free and has a stock of 10 for sale.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Spergminer posted:

You can train all members skills, sans Construction, to level 5 in F2P. If you go to Burthope there's a tiny farming patch next to a guy who gives 3 potato seeds for free and has a stock of 10 for sale.

That works nicely. And it helps me understand why some F2P quest rewards involve XP in Members skills.

Unrelated but holy poo poo is the RuneSpan broken when it comes to leveling.

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014

widespread posted:

That works nicely. And it helps me understand why some F2P quest rewards involve XP in Members skills.

Unrelated but holy poo poo is the RuneSpan broken when it comes to leveling.

runespan is the fastest RC xp in the game

It's still slow though. Once you get tot he high 80s/90s you'll wish for it to be quicker

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

SleepingPizza posted:

runespan is the fastest RC xp in the game

It's still slow though. Once you get tot he high 80s/90s you'll wish for it to be quicker

Still better than the old method of running Nature runes for hours and hours and hours that you couldn't afk.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Some dumb idiot posted:

Still better than the old method of running Nature runes for hours and hours and hours that you couldn't afk.

Jesus christ how horrifying. I feel relieved I can just suck off things for RC XP now. And also give runes to the man wizard in the yellow hat.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Themata posted:

Check out that holiday spirit.

What... What is her mouth doing? :stonk:

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014

Some dumb idiot posted:

Oh for sure, and it always will be.

Also LRC is like a loving GI Joe episode with all these pets

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Moinkmaster posted:

What... What is her mouth doing? :stonk:

She opened up a chest and got a stroke(orange crystal). :ohdear:

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Some dumb idiot posted:

Oh that explains the two blatant bots I reported running up and down Karamja with like 90 RC each and no other levelled skills.

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014
Winter weekends are coming with boosts to help your mad gainz! http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/c=2Av8*WrUEDE/forums.ws?16,17,837,65529944

Summary with my Pirate Picks for the best poo poo:

Skilling Weekend

12:00 GMT 5th December - 12:00 GMT 8th December

Smithing: Double XP and respect in the Artisans' Workshop

Divination: Enriched wisps spawn every 10 minutes, rather than 20

Divination: Springs last for twice as long once a wisp is activated

Fishing: Spots move around half as frequently as before

Runecrafting: Increased node spawn rate and reward points at the Runespan

Mining & Woodcutting: Rocks and trees replenish twice as fast when depleted

Thieving: Double gold relic/sceptre drops and increased chance to receive Black Ibis outfit pieces at Pyramid Plunder

Minigames Weekend

12:00 GMT 12th December - 12:00 GMT 15th December

+1 Castle Wars gold ticket per game, regardless of win, lose or draw

Double commendation points from Pest Control and Conquest

Double XP and double gambling rewards from Barbarian Assault DO THIS FOR GREAT, PAINLESS AGILITY BXP

Bosses killed in Dominion Tower are counted twice for the purposes of reward unlocks

+50% Dominion Factor earned

Livid Farm awards double reward points for all actions

Player Owned Ports - Three Week Benefit

12:00 GMT 12th December - 12:00 GMT 1st January

All Ports voyages return 30% extra trade goods or resources

25 voyages a day instead of 15

Dungeoneering Weekend

12:00 GMT 19th December - 12:00 GMT 22nd December

Double tokens from both regular dungeoneering and Sinkholes

Base Sinkholes lamp XP increased by 50%

10% cheaper weapon repairs Repair your poo poo this weekend!

No score penalty for dying

One-time bonus for completing a number of floors

Slayer & Boss Weekend

12:00 GMT 26th December - 12:00 GMT 29th December

Double slayer points for regular and social slayer assignments

Double drops from the Giant Mole

Double chance of rare drops and enhanced ring of wealth effect

Base Slayer experience increased 50%

The Kalphite King, Giant Mole, Rise of the Six and Vorago drop tables are more likely to yield better loot

All charm drops grant one more charm than usual.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Ugh gently caress off, I have way too much work the next two weeks Jagex :negative:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Thanks Pirate, it's very helpful information! :)

Post your examines:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
WHO'S READY FOR ULTRA MEGA SUPER HARDASS BARBASS WEEKEND

Protip: If you want to make loving buckets of money, run Waves 1-6 for the next couple weeks and put all your Wave 7 HM tickets up for like 1.5M

Incidentally even slow HM still pukes XP at you and Waves 1 thru 6 are pretty easy (ie if we get some goonbarian time going I'd be willing to take 80+ people in non-Attacker roles). Doing 1-6 in about 15-20 minutes is doable, and considering that those tickets will sell at 1.5M during bxp weekend, that's looking at something like 4.5m-6m gp an hour.

Barbass isn't just a way to get bxp and make agility less lovely, it's also a way to fleece pubbies for enormous piles of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Your personal message is currently set to: i'd yiff me. i'd yiff me so hard.