Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The only quest that really stands out, to me, as stupid is Missing, Presumed Death, because it doesn't even have skill requirements and is extremely heavily invested in the lore. Why the gently caress is my level 3 novice adventurer being specially invited to a meeting of the gods, who are all these assholes who supposedly know me, why am I special, who is this smug rear end in a top hat and why do I care?

Really a mess of a quest without heavy plot involvement.

The world wakes also has light requirements but at least it's a grandmaster quest with real skill requirements so you've at least been playing the game for a while.

Though this new quest will probably be fine since it's starting a chain. I imagine coming in with more lore knowledge will help but it won't be as stupid as a novice quest that assumes you know what happened in several grandmaster quests that you might not actually do for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I didn't even know they had a transformers MMO, not that I paid much attention to Jagex over the past four years.

I think I'll grab a few of those 30 day cards off Amazon because I'm shamefully bad at making in game money and I'd prefer to keep the 9m+ every two weeks to play with less pressure.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

If you're looking at buying membership right now I think you can get some of the amazon cards then set up monthly payments. That'll lock in the $8/month cost while still letting you get the cheap Amazon cards.

Getting Premier club on top of that is also no issue, if you're thinking of that.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Vis Wax Guide
Make 300k or more in 2 minutes every day.

Deep in the runecrafting guild is a wonderful machine that produces magical ear wax, better known as vis wax, once a day. Vis wax is useful for extending daily challenges, extending your divine location gathering limit, and resetting aura coldowns. But you shouldn't do any of that.

Using vis wax yourself is throwing away money :homebrew:. Extending challenges used to be worth it but it was nerfed to 50 wax, up from 20. It's just not cost effective except for some challenges for expensive skills, like herblore, at high levels where you'll actually get a competitive amount of exp per gold value of the wax.

What you should do is sell it to pubbies who don't know any better for absurd profits. Even with very little time and money invested you can easily guarantee a minimum of about 300k profit (average probably in the 380-400k range) per day in a few minutes. This requires a bit more thought and understanding than, say, buying yak hides, but it's extremely fast

REQUIREMENTS
- 50 Runecrafting (for entry to the Runecrafting Guild)
- A few minutes per day
- Have at least this many of the following runes in your bank (they don't need to be in your inventory).
- 2500 Mind runes
- 650 Chaos runes
- 1250 of each Air, Water, Earth, and Fire runes

On this page is a table that shows you the amounts and total cost for each type of rune. I only use the cheapest runes. Using the more expensive runes might will more than likely lower your average profits.

INSTRUCTIONS
First join the viswax fc. The topic of the fc will be a list of four runes (i.e. "Lw Ai Ch De"). It's best to do vis wax at least two or three hours after the daily reset to allow the topic to update.

Travel to the runecrafting guild; the best option is teleporting to the top of the Wizard's Tower using the Wicked Hood. Look around for a funny looking machine with near the D&D icon on the minimap.

You'll see an interface that looks like this:

You need to put runes into all three of the slots. Every day the values of runes in each slot is randomized. The indicator to the left of the slot is red if the rune is below 50%, yellow if it's above 50%, and green if it's 100%. Only one rune is green for each slot each day.

- The first slot is worth 30 wax and the best rune is the same for every player. If the topic of the viswax fc is "Lw Ai Ch De" then Law is worth 30 wax for everyone today.
- The second slot is also worth 30 wax. The best rune for each player is one of three runes. Using the same topic for the fc then the best rune is either Air, Chaos, or Death for you today.
- The third slot is worth 40 wax and is random for each player every day. The fc cannot help you with this slot.

Every time you change the combination it counts as a new attempt. Each attempt increases the amount of runes you need by 0.5%. This is nothing. It's worth taking multiple tries to find a good combination, even taking 20 tries will only increase your costs by 10%. After settling on a good combination push combine and get your wax.

Here's an example using my second combination today. This is a very good result and not typical. The topic for today was "As Bl Bl Bo" and I completely ignored it.

Here's what I eventually settled with today:

Today was unusually good. In general I can get over 80 wax about half the time, over 70 wax at least 90% of the time, and I've never had a day where I couldn't get over 60 with cheap runes. The runes I used today cost me less than 100k.

EXTRA NOTES
If the topic of the fc tells you that the best choices are expensive runes don't feel pressured to use them. Most days you'll be able to use your cheap runes to get almost as much vis wax with significantly lower costs and higher profits.

An important detail about the second slot is that the "other" possibilities for the best rune aren't necessarily the second best choices. Say the three possibilities are Mist, Air, and Earth and that you drew the short straw and Mist is your best rune. It's still possible that Water is better than both Air and Earth for you, so don't limit yourself to only the three options given.

One tip for being efficient is to remove two runes at a time. If you swap out slot 1 and then slot 2 separately it counts as two attempts. If you empty both slots then replace them it only counts as one attempt, though it can be harder to keep track of which runes are best in each slot.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 1, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

widespread posted:

... so remember that part about membership being payable with in-game currency? Just need to know if there be a limit or something on how much.

There's no limit to paying for membership with in game currency. However the current price of a bond, worth 14 days of membership, is 8.5 million and climbing due to an announcement that the price of membership will rise. Depending on how good you are at making money that can be very little over two weeks or it can be most of your gold income.

Right now it's still possible to pay for membership using "easy" methods like vis wax, yak hides (even if they've crashed pretty hard), miscellania, the culinaromancer's chest, and maybe dabbling in some other easy/fast/passive methods like farming.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Probably good idea to remove your credit cards until this blows over, but the damage is probably already done and I doubt any more will be going through.

Still though, even handling this properly and refunding everyone + any overdraft fees, this was a huge fuckup by Jagex.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

How Rude posted:

Even one tree dying is also a massive waste of XP considering that you have to wait for another tree to grow again and got no XP for the previous tree. Gambling with RNG in Runescape is always a bad idea, too.

Pay your farmers damnit.

This isn't a good way of thinking about it. It's not a waste of exp, it's a waste of time. However paying for protection is a huge waste of gold compared to the small waste of time.

If one tree gets you 10k exp, costs 100k, has a low protection cost of 40k, and an extra-high (above magic trees) 1/6 chance of death it's still not worth it to protect them. Not protecting, over the long term, gets you an average of 12 gold per exp. Protecting gets you a guaranteed 14 gold/exp. That's a difference of 26m when going from 1-99 even when I've fudged the numbers in favour of protection. It will take you an extra 20% (again, with fudged numbers) more trees/time, but the gold cost will be a lot lower.

In small sample sizes, like Magres' sample of 8 trees, you can get odd runs. It's not unheard of to flip a (fair) coin six times and get six heads. But with larger sample sizes those bad (or good) runs average out.

If you have a deadline to hit a certain farming level, like you want to hit 90 before some new content comes out, or if you really have so much money that paying an extra 40%+ per exp to make it slightly faster is worth it to you, go ahead and pay for protection. For most people they're going to be limited by their gold and don't mind taking an extra 3-4 weeks from 1-99 while saving upwards of 50 million gold, which are more reasonable estimates for real trees.

Don't pay the farmers, spend the money on other skills.

Magres posted:

Statistically it's about a 13% chance for a supercomposted tree to die, the RNG just decided to take a huge poo poo on me the first time I planted expensive trees en masse.

As a minor correction the chance of yew trees dying is between 1/7 and 1/8. Trees roll against disease when their growth stage changes and magic trees have two extra growth stages so their death rate is probably a few percent higher unless Jagex compensated for that.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 4, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Spergminer posted:

You can get 40 free pineapples from Dell Monty in Brimhaven every day, that's 4 free papaya tree payments.

I haven't checked but I think Papaya trees are the only high level trees where the cost of protection is actually worth it.

As a rule of thumb if the cost of protection is under 10% of the cost of the seed go ahead and do it. I didn't mention it during my writeup because I'd forgotten that there were any trees where that was true.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

No more options on other clan avatars and tears resets on Wednesday. Elf tasks will be a pain to do but I think I can do the medium tasks, at least.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

SleepingPizza posted:

When the Cache is schedule to start go to the highest level divination training spot you can. While waiting for it to spawn, gather memories so you dont waste any precious XP. You'll know the cache has started because the green swirly hole whatever in the ground will change it's appearance. To start the DND, right click the hole and select Enter Cache.

If you get the cache message and you weren't prepared for it then just teleport to the Falador lodestone which is, I think, the closest to a div spot. You can travel to your level-appropriate wisp colony after the cache.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Themata posted:

So I'm pretty burned out on RS3, as made apparent to me by the fact that I can barely motivate myself to stay logged on and I'm playing OSRS again. :v: It's all the little things that Jagex never fixes like the insane startup lag, not recomping lost items that are their fault, endless waves of bugs, etc. etc. basically Jagex being :jagex:

I think the startup lag, if it's the same issue I had, can be fixed by deleting the cache file. I think there's a problem with it getting too large or too old, of course this is something Jagex should at least be able to detect and fix.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'll probably aim to get my quest cape with the 200th quest then go into hibernation.

I don't really play this game to max my stats or anything, and now that I've completed almost all the quests I've got very few goals I feel like pursuing left. Raising skills for the sake of getting higher numbers takes far too long for me.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Huge increases in draw distance should probably be accompanied by redoing the world map, at least partially to move landmasses away from each other. You shouldn't be seeing islands from the mainland if you have to take a boat to reach them.

There are balance concerns but the world doesn't feel very large and the entire map could do with something of a rework. There's just not a lot of space even in the member's areas. The free area of the map is a complete and utter joke, especially around Lumbridge, where you can't take ten steps in a row without running into a forgotten event set piece of some kind.

Increasing the draw distance is only going to make it more obvious that some of these cities aren't even a full city block away from each other.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Haven't played in ages but I watched the runefest talk on elite skills and it sounded pretty good. Would have been better if they announced they were fixing loving smithing but at least it's not another 80 levels of dead content before you get to the untradeable good stuff.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Ahahahaha, holy poo poo. "We've removed the need to play a round of soul wars from the requirements for Nomad's Requiem."

Maybe I will get off my rear end and get that quest cape after all.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Getting that itch again.

I have so many better things to do with my time and this Halloween event is soulless, so I really can't explain it. They also still haven't made NXT work with DPI scaling.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

So OSRS went through with their idea from a few years ago for a new continent. drat.

If only I had another ten thousand hours to roll up a character and play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

In terms of time/exp there are a ton of dailies and repeatables now that give you tons of experience for very little time spent.

Part of my problem with the game as it is now is that there are far too many dailies that are just too efficient. By the time I finish my set I feel like I've played enough for one day, and if I choose not to do them I feel like I'm wasting my time.