Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Something I really like is that I think the last models here:

might actually be lower polygon count than this thing:

You can do some really awesome visual tricks with higher res textures - my favorite is normal mapping. The basic idea is that you make a really complicated, high polygon count model, apply a texture to it, and then take a picture of that from an appropriate angle and use that as the texture for a flat surface. This is a really simple example of normal mapping

It's a really cool trick that, done right, can let you get stuff looking much better than its polygon count could do w/o said tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Whelp, after planting 18 trees, I've lost 4 of them and cured another 4.

My tree death rate w/o manual curing so far is 45% :smith:

Otoh burning through my Festive Aura XP in ten minutes flat checking trees :getin:

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 3, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

How Rude posted:

just pay the goddamned farmers, it doesn't cost that much

Protecting a magic tree is like 75% as much as the seed itself.

I'll pass. Statistically it's a good way to blow through a poo poo ton of money that could go to just buying more seeds

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Statistically it's about a 13% chance for a supercomposted tree to die, the RNG just decided to take a huge poo poo on me the first time I planted expensive trees en masse. I'm going to keep my decision making data-driven and stick to what is factually the better choice in terms of gp/xp in the long run.

Also, considering I rescued four of those eight trees from dying, my actual tree death rate was more like 22% and even with my terrible luck yesterday it was still the right decision to not protect them.

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 3, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My Prayer level is 99.

:smaug:

Actually, my plan is to switch to Yews and Papayas because A) they're about 30% better gp/xp ratio and B) it's much less of a loss if I miss a diseased one and it dies, so I'm more able to make myself take the long view of things and accept that sometimes I'll just have bad days. With Yews and Papayas and my Elder Tree and a Calquat Tree (I actually protect my Calquat because it's inexpensive enough that I value the extra XP I get over the inefficiency in GP) I can hit 100k XP a day and still burn my whole festive aura.

Really it was that it was the first damned time I've planted anything in months and it immediately all started dying on me like crazy. My second batch of trees had one get diseased between the 12 of them, and happily I was there to cure it :buddy:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah Papayas are super, super worth protecting.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
WHO'S READY FOR ULTRA MEGA SUPER HARDASS BARBASS WEEKEND

Protip: If you want to make loving buckets of money, run Waves 1-6 for the next couple weeks and put all your Wave 7 HM tickets up for like 1.5M

Incidentally even slow HM still pukes XP at you and Waves 1 thru 6 are pretty easy (ie if we get some goonbarian time going I'd be willing to take 80+ people in non-Attacker roles). Doing 1-6 in about 15-20 minutes is doable, and considering that those tickets will sell at 1.5M during bxp weekend, that's looking at something like 4.5m-6m gp an hour.

Barbass isn't just a way to get bxp and make agility less lovely, it's also a way to fleece pubbies for enormous piles of cash.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Potentially! I'd like to be, though I really want to run a bunch of 1-6 before the weekend to fleece pubbies on Wave 7 tickets. I'm done with Agi, all I need is FM bxp (which BA pukes at you even harder than Agi or Mining) and Mining bxp (which I don't really care about because Serens are ownzone)

In other news, in the Great Farming Protection Debate, Reed Seeds are totally worth protecting. Planting a set of reeds costs about 15k, yields around 40k of produce, and protection costs about 1.5k.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah I was going by GE price :smith:

Any idea how many hops a patch will spit out? They might be worth doing over Reeds if they spit out like 25+ Hops from a patch

E: vvv Dang, not enough to justify farming them over Reeds. Still though! Babygoons, farm Hops and make $$$ and get some farming XP at the same time

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 4, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Random thing to remember - always save your Corrupted Ore for when Voice oF Seren is on Trahaearn. Making your smithing XP go 20% further is pretty nice.

Also, be kind to your fellow Goons and call it out in clan chat if you're in Prfid when VoS switches to Hefin or Trahaearn (for Cleansing Crystals and Corrupted Ore, respectively). It's much appreciated!

E: Actually in general just call VoS switches. I don't know who wants what voices and it takes two seconds to help your fellow Goons out.

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 5, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
:3:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
This update really needs to drop already so I can start grinding elf tasks.

E: No elf tasks, just a christmas boss and some lovely Dominion Tower stuff :rip:

Magres fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 8, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SleepingPizza posted:

how to piss off pubbies

idgi

Spergminer posted:

You can mute it by ignoring the owner.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WHY GOD WHY

My favorite thing about LRC chat was people raging en masse over cheevo banners

Edited for people w/ smaller monitors

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 8, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Get a real monitor you plebe

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Your RS name needs to be Pizza Coladas

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Vitamins posted:

I played Elemental Workshop 3 and I thought it was bad, but it was good.

I played Ape Atoll and I thought it was bad, but it was good.

I played Underground Pass and I thought it was bad, but it was good.

I played The Firemaker's Curse and I thought it was bad, and I was right what a loving stupid awful quest with a terrible boss.

e: music was pretty good though!

No you were right in all cases, those are some pretty poo poo quests. The slider puzzle in monkey madness isn't even guaranteed to generate an actually solvable puzzle.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Themata posted:

Magres.txt

Yes, I do indeed make all conversations I am a part of significantly better :sun:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Summarized Patch Notes:

http://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/2pd0bm/tldr_030_tasks_and_snowboarding/

Big thing: I can't find a source for the Araxxor nerf so I don't know if it's true. If it is, prices on spider gear prolly gonna tank

Jagex patch notes:

Forum Notes

Main Page Notes

E: I asked, someone in the reddit thread said that Spider nerf was on the patch notes but got removed. I'd recommend testing for yourself, and drop that Staff like it's hot if it's true cause that nerf will definitely hit prices.

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 15, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Augster posted:

Jesus is a nerd

Pretty sure Jesus wouldn't be down with spending thousands of hours studying how best to drive as many species as possible into extinction or have a helmet for that purpose.

E: Question about Nex, cause Goons have talked about doing goon boss groups for Nex. How many people would we take? Cause when you hit like 5+ people doing a boss, taking an Avatar set to healing buff seems like it might be worth it. 2% every 5 seconds adds up quick when you've got 5 people getting healed.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 16, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Naan Bread posted:

Atleast I'm not going to keep getting that loving snow poo poo all the time for a measly 1k xp lamp

No kidding, I hate getting it when I'm doing a farming tree run and tight on space.

Also what the christ at that kotaku article. Best part is the quote from the seller's friend, calling Runescape coins as good as cash is hilarious.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Alright you kids, I've got 58 floors reset and ready to go for dungeoneering weekend. Prepare your Doritos.

:hellyeah:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SleepingPizza posted:

people are saying you could set up a autoclicker and do it like this, but wouldn't that be a super easy one-way street to bantown?

I autoclick literally everything I can for hours on end.

Things that will give you away as someone using non-human assistance:

Clicking consistently in precise intervals (ie all your clicks at 1000ms apart to the millisecond, or clicks 1 and 2 are always 257 ms apart, 2 and are 349 ms apart, etc)

Clicking consistently in the same places, down to the pixel (this is different than constantly clicking the same pixel, which can readily be done by humans with a laptop, or by using a program to translate a key press to a mouse click, the latter of which has been ruled as game legal many times)

I just use the Murgee autoclicker set to an appropriate interval with an appropriate additional random interval. So for doing citadel cooking, I'll set it to 22s between clicks plus up to two seconds of extra random delay, so it will click at intervals of anywhere from 22 to 24 seconds between clicks. Did it every week for probably six months. Similarly, chopping Ivy in Elf city, with some camera shenanigans you can line up all of the ivy to be clickable without moving the mouse, and put your mouse in a place where elves walking in front of the ivy won't get clicked. I'd do that with something like a one minute interval plus up to 30 seconds extra random interval. Got 99 WC that way!

Hoppeduppeanut posted:

e: ^^ I think Magres said something about using Murgee Autoclicker to do citadel bbq and hasn't been banned for doing so yet despite doing it for months

Yep! It's really easy to avoid automated bot detection if you're at all clever about it. The only way I will ever get caught is basically if a jmod takes it upon themself to PM me and want a response. And even then, "I was using mousekeys and just hitting my spacebar while watching a movie and not looking at the screen" is a valid response.

These days I do harps. I'd do seren stones but the drat trahaearn workers walk in front of the stones and gently caress it up.

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 19, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Just finished rushing floors 1-29 to be able to double dip on ab2s, occs, and warps this weekend :getin:

Time to get my dg cape, dg aura 4,and unlock the level 95 resource dungeon to spam grenwalls in.

Btw grens are still great cash, I’ve made like 20m on them in the past couple days, and spike prices aren't actually crashing that badly, they're still like 2.5-3m an hour

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 19, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah, get your chaotics and get your ring maxed

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SleepingPizza posted:

isnt every single role maxed on a dg ring a comp req or some bs?

No, but maxing a role is a hard task req

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Also if you're new and a million gp is out of reach, ask in clan for someone to loan you some cash.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If I get banned, I get banned :shrug:

I have absolutely no idea what hosed it up, I watched it for like three hours while it was autoclicking and it was fine the whole time. I thought I figured it out with some mouse/camera fuckery

E: I'm not banned yet, and if I do get banned I'll try to talk my way out of it. I even have a semi believable cover story I've had ready. Don't count me out yet.

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 21, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I actually think it might have been an impling, cause I watched it for a couple hours and the workers didn't do anything to block my mouse.

Who knows! Just confirms that you definitely can't autoclick stones, either way.

My story is that I was out of the room marathoning the first two hobbit movies with a wireless mouse with the laser bit taped over and clicking it roughly every thirty seconds. It legitimately perfectly explains the behavior :v:

You don't have to act like a good or smart human, you just have to not do impossibly precise things.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 21, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It doesn't shift anymore, or none of my autoclicking would work

E: anyone have any idea what their turnaround time on banning people is? Just trying to figure out when I'm in the clear

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 22, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Augster posted:

They ban people in abrupt waves so botters don't know exactly what caused them to be caught

Haha well then I might suddenly just :rip: at some point, cause I'm not restarting this friggin game. I'll post in thread if the dodgy path finally catches up to me.

So begins my death watch :v:

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 22, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Soulhunter posted:

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my banning. I shall take no loot, hold no whips, summon no familiars. I shall wear no party hats and win no glory. I shall live and die at my computer. I am the sword in the abyss. I am the poster on the boards. I am the dragonfire that burns against cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the barbassers, the shield that guards the realms of Gielinor. I pledge my account and honor to the Bot Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

:vince:

My last request before being banned is that this be put in the OP

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 22, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Swicky posted:

Like i said to Joachim ingame, i could do that but it takes up more time, and i like to be lazy

Think of things in terms of not just effort, but in terms of effort to reward ratio. Carrying high alch runes takes two inventory slots, is not much effort, and gives you a steady source of income that will , as shown by goon science when people bank ALL of their slayer loot, add up to tens of millions of gold over the course of your slayer career. It's also a little extra magic xp, which never hurts.

Also, you want to level all your combat styles reasonably evenly imo, so you're never stuck with a task that's weak to the style you're terrible at.

Also also if you make use of your bank presets to load up on your gear, food, pots, high alch runes, and whatever else you need (charm imp, herbicide, and bone crusher are all ridiculously good) then you'll take out most of the effort of high alching while you slayer. And you can :smug: when pubs are too dumb to alch their drops and literally hand you cash money by leaving poo poo on the ground.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 23, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'll give you that magic is totally the best combat style because it's the only one that comes with actual utility, but I still wouldn't let the others lag too far behind because they're all super useful. I will definitely say that if you're gonna specialize in one style, make it magic.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dang, what resolution is that? You make me want bigger monitors

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
T He. Jorts is the best name

E: oh my god the sexy face

Kari that was amazing

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 25, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Swicky posted:

1920x1080, the only resolution

Really? I run 1920x1080 on my desktop and don't feel like I have as much RS screen real estate as you. Huh :shrug:

Also, Jagex should implement being able to import/export UI settings. I'd love to be able to swap setups with people

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It's not hard to paste an image then edit the img tags to timg. I even do it on my phone when I post stuff.

Honestly SA should probably default to timg, it's a way better tag

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Kari, I'm duking it out with a stomach virus that has me worried about being hospitalized from dehydration (putting anything into my stomach is making me shoot from both ends. Even minor amounts of water/gatorade), and your shenanigans were the only thing that even remotely made me crack a smile over the night.

You da best

E: Feeling better, if I sipped Gatorade REALLY slow I could keep it down, so I did that and slept until my body killed whatever was invading :black101:

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 26, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Way to stalk post histories like a pair of creepy autists

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SleepingPizza posted:

Stalking nerds is my fetish :blush:

:gooncamp: